Insurance: Who do you use? (Auto/Home)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
raisinsaregrapes

Insurance: Who do you use? (Auto/Home)

Post by raisinsaregrapes »

I have had USAA (auto/home) for few years, and have noticed that their rates are pretty high. I may be switching in the next few months to GEICO for auto, but wanted to get opinions from the group. Also I have a rental property that will soon be paid off and will revaluate my homeowners as well.

Who do you use for each?
bgf

Re: Insurance: Who do you use? (Auto/Home)

Post by bgf »

I use Cincinnati for home, auto, and soon for umbrella.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
bligh

Post by bligh »

We are with Geico. Our rates have been steadily rising every year for some reason. This year was a big jump. I am guessing it has to do with all the natural disasters we've had last year.

Each time we get sticker shock at the increase, call around and get quotes from the usual suspects, State Farm, Allstate, Mercury, AAA auto insurance, e-surance etc. Each time they come out to be more expensive, and we just stick with Geico despite the rising rates.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I use USAA for auto, renters and umbrella insurance.
investor997

Post by investor997 »

Had been using AAA for both condo and auto for years up until very recently.

One of my neighbors experienced an issue with a sewer line break that caused me to seek out this type of coverage (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=221506). I wound up switching everything to Kemper. Not only did they offer the coverage I wanted but their auto rates were the lowest I could find.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

bgf wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am I use Cincinnati for home, auto, and soon for umbrella.
+1

+ umbrella
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

I was a long time USAA user, but when my son got his license the rates skyrocketed, so moved to Progressive for half the USAA rate. Still high, but not nearly as bad. Still USAA for homeowners but may switch at renewal.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Chubb for all.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Toons

Post by Toons »

Geico
For 10 Years Now.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Mom and Dad were on Farm Bureau insurance back when I started driving, after I got out and on my own I stayed with them. Since then they've had our homeowners' insurance as well. Going on forty-four years with them now, never a complaint.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I ask for quotes at least every 3 years directly from major insurance companies and multiple quotes though an independent agent....about 20 each time. I changed my auto insurance last in 2011 from Allied (Nationwide) Insurance to AARP Insurance Program from The Hartford. After several quotes they are still the lowest.

I changed my homeowner's insurance in May 2017 also to AARP Insurance Program from The Hartford from Selective Insurance with whom I had been with for about 7 years.
Over the years I have had insurance with several companies changing mostly for lower premiums. The only company from which I left because of poor performance was State Farm and that was after being with them for over 20 years at the time.

(By the way, GEICO's quotes have always been among the highest for me for at least the last 25 years, so it must be where you live to get those lower rates. )
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Student2

Post by Student2 »

I use Amica for both and umbrella based on recommendations in this forum. I also read good reviews about USAA and would have considered them, but I wasn’t eligible.

The most important criteria for me, which you might consider, was not price, but the experience of receiving (and submitting) a claim. If I ever need to make a claim, I want to know that the insurance assessor is not going to add misery to whatever I am having to deal with at the time and that the claim will be paid promptly. I read reviews online, knowing that it’s mostly people who have encountered problems who tend to post, and here, where reviews tend to be much more informative. I also checked my state’s attorney general website for recommendations and confirmed their creditworthiness report at JD Power (rating company).

For the 4.5 years I have been doing business with them, I have been impressed by the fact that I always get to speak to a knowledgeable person when I call or chat online with a question. Their rates are reasonable once I factor in the share distribution I receive (I pay a higher annual rate for the dividend version b/c it works out better than paying the standard rate) and I sleep well at night. For the record, I did raise my homeowner deductible once to keep my costs down and I take advantage of several rate deductions available to me. I would recommend Amica based on my experience, but I have not ever filed a claim (knock wood). There are many positive reviews by Bogleheads on the forum (for USAA too).

Best of luck (and my sympathies for anyone enrolling a new young driver - I’m not sure there’s any good way to keep those rates low!)
KT785

Post by KT785 »

State Farm for both autos, home, umbrella, a personal articles (floater) policy on my wife's wedding rings, and we also bank with State Farm (checking and mortgage).

Our home and auto premiums have actually gone down over the past couple of years. We also get quotes from other carriers yearly or so and State Farm is consistently cheaper than others (bundled or unbundled). My wife also totaled her car out in 2015 (her fault) but because her policy ("inherited" from her parents) was 9+ years without an accident, we got to keep the Accident Free discount and our rates didn't change; this further amplifies the price difference between what we pay with State Farm and the quotes we get from other carriers.
focusedonwhatmatters

Post by focusedonwhatmatters »

I have been with Geico for the past eight years with no complaints, until earlier this month they drastically raised my rates and I'm about to switch everything to Safeco.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I use Farm Bureau for both. I like it because it is regional and doesn't serve any states where natural disasters tend to be more prevalent and thus has remained very steady with premium rates. I've had lots of quotes over the years from national chains but never have found one that could beat what I pay for the same coverage.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

We use Amica for everything, and I'm happy with them. I love their direct model, vs agent, as I can configure the insurance exactly like I want. (vs. my agent trying to sell me products I don't need.)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

flamesabers wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:06 am I use USAA for auto, renters and umbrella insurance.
+1
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Liberty Mutual
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

Have had Allstate, Safeco, USAA and now we are with Geico.

I will shop at least every 2 years for best rates.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
birdog

Post by birdog »

USAA for home, auto and term life.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

AAA for Home and Auto.

Stillwater for Umbrella.

Will ditch all three before the next renewal.
douginct

Post by douginct »

Amica for longer than I can remember for cars, home and umbrella. Definitely not the cheapest, but outstanding service - including service on claims.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Travelers direct for HO and Auto.

Before that State Farm - left due to rate increases
Before that AARP Hartford - left due to rate increases
vested1

Post by vested1 »

We were with AAA for over 30 years and left because of a hissy fit I threw when they wouldn't waive a deductible on a hit and run. We then changed to State Farm for a few years, which was a nightmare of incompetence and sub-standard coverage/service. I think the ones who sing the praises of State Farm must live thousands of miles from me.

We are now back with AAA for auto, home, travel trailer, and they are the proxy for our earthquake insurance in California. The cost is about $20 total more, but the coverage is much better, with lower deductibles and vastly better service. No premium increases in the 2 years since we've been back, even though we had a no-fault accident. Unlike State Farm, they never try to sell me anything. It's also the little things, like trusting you when you say you drive under 12k a year and not forcing you to provide an odometer reading for every vehicle every 6 months.

AAA was a non-profit for both their insurance operation and their auto club until 2010. They transitioned to for-profit on the insurance side at that time, and the client was no longer assigned a personal agent. This change bothered me at first but they are still helpful when a question comes up or a claim needs to be filed. The auto club is still non-profit.
Mr Chill

Post by Mr Chill »

AAA for the cars, used to have them for the fire insurance for the house, but they dropped us from that policy due to the water pressure in our area being low. Once AAA dropped our fire insurance, I moved it over to Capital Insurance Group or CIG for short. The rates have risen significantly in recent years, but I assume that is due to the massive amount all insurance companies have had to pay out here in fire-happy California. I dropped the premium almost 40% by increasing the deductible to $5,000 on the fire insurance. I've cleared out all the dry brush, cut back the weeds and done a lot of other things to mitigate fire hazards and risk. Just like buying a safe car with good braking distance, the best insurance is the one you never have to use, won't cost you a fortune, but is there for you if you need it.
SavageAmusement

Post by SavageAmusement »

AMICA since 1976. Solid company with very good customer service. The claims I’ve had over 40 years were all handled satisfactorily. Premiums have been increasing over the past few years, but they’re still lower than the competitive quotes I’ve obtained.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

Another +1 for Amica. We have home, auto, and umbrella with them. Rates keep going up but they seem to with everyone. I have personally gone through a total loss car claim with them and I continue to recommend them at any opportunity.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

jbuzolich wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:22 pm Another +1 for Amica. We have home, auto, and umbrella with them. Rates keep going up but they seem to with everyone. I have personally gone through a total loss car claim with them and I continue to recommend them at any opportunity.
I've heard a lot of good reviews here on Amica and decided to quote with them this year. Very nice to deal with on the phone and receptive to my inquiries. They were about the same on auto ins and were double my current Homeowners premium. I will quote with them again next year, but for now it is cost prohibitive to change to them.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Alan S. wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm Before that State Farm - left due to rate increases
Same order for me and left both for the same reasons.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
nashirak

Post by nashirak »

We have USAA for everything (banking, home/life/auto). They had the best rates, and they got even better when everything was bundled together.
GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

BolderBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 pm
Alan S. wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:51 pm Before that State Farm - left due to rate increases
Same order for me and left both for the same reasons.
I was under the impression that Chubb was quite expensive, at least in Colorado. Was that your experience?
cfs

Post by cfs »

USAA for auto and home insurance for the past two decades. Happy hunting, and thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

New Jersey Manufacturers for both.

Although not asked, CNA for umbrella.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience