Looking for a reasonably priced, safe international destination

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gretah

Re: Looking for a reasonably priced, safe international destination

Post by gretah » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:20 am

Vancouver, Canada could be an eye opener for your kids. And it's safe.

Your kids have not seen terrain that goes from river to snow-topped mountains so quickly and steeply. From downtown to Grouse Mountain ski area takes around an hour.

You can take a bus from your downtown hotel then a ferry over the river to take you north. From there you can get a bus to Grouse Mountain ski area. (Even quicker to drive a rented car.) You all step into to an enclosed ski lift and witness an amazing view. Do a search at Google Images.

Stanley Park has a great aquarium. University of British Columbia has a spectacular Anthropology museum with amazing First People exhibits: totem poles, wood carvings, canoes - all right at the city's western edge near the beach. Some exhibits are outdoors and the kids can play around them.

Gas Town is touristy and fun. A great place to buy some genuine First People artwork and crafts. Take home some real fur slippers for winters on the East Coast.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:45 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am
I live in the DC area (DCA, IAD, BWI). Have two young kids, 6 and 3. Have up to a week off. I only speak English. The trip will be first week of May...
I was thinking Iceland.
I have not read all the replies. Iceland is crazy-expensive, except maybe the getting-there part. Food is insane. Also, not much for kids, imo. Unless they are really into scenic beauty, back-country hiking, and geology. Like my kids were at three and six :D . No, ours were middle- and high-school age, I think, when we went and they loved it.

Those ages are too young for discretionary international travel, imo. Or for nice meals, museums, on-foot exploration of a city, etc.

I would opt for: 1) visiting family; or 2) theme park. Sorry. That's what we did until ours became sentient. But from middle-school on, we could go literally anywhere with them and it's been a blast.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 am

Copenhagen is about your cheapest European destination during May. It is not bad for a week and if you get bored you can go to Germany or Sweden.

But as others have said, cruises are your best bang for your buck since they can be under $50/night/pp and include all you can eat. Kids love cruises.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 am

Portugal might be a good choice. My neighbors just got back from a family trip there and they loved it. Apparently costs are much lower than in other European countries.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 am

Amsterdam. It's really easy to get around, very kid friendly, lots to do in May. Not sure about affordability, but food is not terribly expensive and public transit is everywhere. Lots of parks are free and a museum pass is EUR 60 per adult. Belgium and Germany are very close by, but you really won't need to leave Amsterdam.

Iceland. I've never been there but a ton of our friends have and love it.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:24 am

I'm not sure what the range is for "reasonably priced".
I'm going to suggest New Zealand as a good 'safe' international vacation for a family.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 am

Another vote for Costa Rica. There are wonderful beaches and many fun outdoorsy things for the family to do they are very environmentally conscious there and it's a great place to observe nature. There is a volcano with hot springs area. The people are very friendly. You can get by with English and a tiny bit of Spanish. Food is appetizing and reasonably priced. It's relatively expensive to fly there and hotels are as well.

In Asia, consider also Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand. Those are very reasonably priced but are little more expensive to fly to from the United States.

I do find it curious that your request for an inexpensive suggestion was replied to by many with a list of many of the most expensive places on earth.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:20 am

JoMoney wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:24 am
I'm going to suggest New Zealand as a good 'safe' international vacation for a family.
If New Zealand is "reasonably priced" then the world is your oyster...

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

I have no idea about how expensive places are other than that London and Tokyo are super pricey.

Iceland is apparently only cheap to get to, as many have mentioned. This is good to know. Airline prices are quite reasonable for Iceland and Ireland, as well as Costa Rica.

CnC

Post by CnC » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:01 am

Jamaica always jamaca I love that place. If you do one of the family friendly all inclusives it's extremely reasonable and everyone speaks English.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:20 am
JoMoney wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:24 am
If New Zealand is "reasonably priced" then the world is your oyster...
The OP is only going for a week from Baltimore, with a 6 and 3 year old.

With connections that could be a 20+ hour flight each way with young kids and then major jet lag.

It would be a memorable trip, but they might want therapy to help them forget it.

For a short trip with young kids I would make finding something with a short direct flight one of the main criteria on deciding where to go.
Last edited by Watty on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am

Caribbean
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 am

ubermax wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 pm
Ireland , Aer Lingus flies there direct from many US cities now , DW and I are planning a trip ourselves .
+2 and Aer Lingus has had some competitively priced flights lately.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 am

Check out TripAdvisor for tourist spot information possible tour guides rates, etc. It is really a great site for some very good feedback especially if you want to visit various tourist sites.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:42 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 pm
Is Bermuda interesting for kids? A concern I have is they can go to beaches in the US, so that might not be "eye opening" for them.
I tend to think that there are many things, foreign and domestic, that are eye opening for 3 and 6 year old kids. They could be much more impressed by the Grand Canyon, glaciers in Alaska, volcanos and waterfalls in Hawaii, or bison/bears/mountains in Yellowstone than by strange food and people speaking oddly. But perhaps your kids are much more worldly/sophisticated at that age than mine were.

I personally don't think Bermuda is worth a whole weeks vacation in any case, but YMMV. Scotland is very nice, castles and lochs to see, and not as pricey as London. Cancun/Playa del Carmen area have lots to do and are easy to travel to, but not sure I'd have wanted to take my kids there at age 3/6.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am

Honestly sounds like you want a vacation thats enjoyable to you that the kids will tolerate. When I was 6 I'm sure the only places I wanted to go was the beach or Disney World. Might I suggest leaving the kids with Grandma for the week?

You could also consider going to California stopping at Disney land for a day or two then do some more "adult" stuff that they kids can be dragged around to.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:59 am

PFInterest wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am
Canada.
Old Towne, Quebec City.. the kids will remember the cable cars for a long time. Should be beautiful in May with flowers and nice weather.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am
I think we are leaning towards somewhere in Europe for this trip. The kids have not been there.

Iceland, Ireland, England, and Amsterdam so far. I didn't think most people thought London was "reasonably priced"?
Spain Spain Spain! Safe, modern, very inexpensive relative to most other western European countries, you'll be just fine with English and the occasional Google Translate app on your phone. Language really isn't as big a barrier in Europe as people realize. If you've never been to Europe, Madrid is a great option for experiencing "old Europe" on a budget: cathedrals, old squares, GREAT food, very easy subway system, palaces, museums including the world-class Museo del Prado, beautiful parks. Barcelona is even better but bigger and more modern and slightly more expensive: having most of the above but also arguably the greatest cathedral in the world (Sagrada Familia), old Spanish forts, Olympic park, gothic architecture, beaches. Spain will also be notably warmer than northern Europe in May (think Ohio vs Tennessee).

Edit: caveat is consider your kids, 3 and 6, may not enjoy or appreciate a lot of the above.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 am

Not sure about Bermuda and small children. The beaches (south side) are fantastic, if kids like the beach. Probably using the bus system would be more interesting for children than taxis.

I like the cruises where we are at sea for a few dats at a time. Circumstances permitting, another Bermuda cruise (robably from nearby baltimore) is at the top of my travel list.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 am

Belize is pretty nice.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:49 am

Scotland would seem a magical place to small children, I think. Make a big deal out of the Loch Ness monster and head up to the north from Edinburgh looking for Nessie. The Netherlands is the most kid-friendly place I've ever been, and nearly everyone speaks English there. Germany is also kid friendly and not too expensive outside the major cities. You won't find as many English speakers outside the major cities there, but you'll find enough to get by.

lesterburnham

Post by lesterburnham » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Portugal or Ireland. Portugal being the cheaper of the two

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I’m heading to Dublin next weekend with a 10, 8, and 5 year old. I’ll keep this thread posted.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm

If it is NOT near vacation week, Aruba. Everyone speaks English. Plenty of grocery stores and many resorts have full kitchens. It's the only Caribbean island I've felt completely safe on. Friendly people who will go out of their way to help if you get lost (have had people see we look lost, tell us to follow them, then they turn around and guide us back to where we want to go). Unlike some islands (Hawaii in particular) rather than thinking tourists have wrecked their island, they know that their island would have nothing without tourists.

It's outside of the Hurricane belt so there's little chance that your resort will become a sand dune by the time you arrive.

Yes, it's more expensive than being in the states and air can be somewhat expensive compared to Puerto Rico or some of the Virgin Islands.

(Our family has gone to Aruba over a dozen times)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:21 pm

With a week and young kids, I'd be inclined to keep the time change minimal. To that end, personally, I view the majority of the Americas as pretty safe. So I wouldn't be so much worried and robbery, theft, violence, etc. However, in less developed countries children could be a challenge since they will lack the basic awareness to understand what actions are risky and what are not having not been exposed to the local environment their entire lives.

jpohio

Post by jpohio » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Consider Belize. Specifically Ambergis Caye. English spoken everywhere, US dollar is currency (but check exchange rate - not sure it is 1-1), safe, and lots to to.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:41 pm

How about a local forestry area with lots of pine trees and a stream? That will be more the kids' speed. Or a working farm where the guests help out on the farm.

Or you can sort of do both at something like this:
http://pitstopsforkids.com/virginia-far ... eade-farm/

Or Chinatown in SF would be interesting to them.

white_water

Post by white_water » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Scotland, it has castles, history, scenery, museums, hiking, what's not to like? Adults can do a distillery tour.

Re: Puerto Penasco, MX. There was a big shoot out between the army and cartels in Dec, 2013. Just a FYI, no place in Mexico is 100 % risk free.

Kids might like Bahamas better. Fine beaches, US $ circulates, all levels of accommodations, Bahamas Air can be an adventure, but US carriers are reliable. We like the smaller islands, restaurants that cater to locals, don't stay in resorts.
Last edited by white_water on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:10 pm

lesterburnham wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:08 pm
Portugal or Ireland. Portugal being the cheaper of the two
I initially recommended Portugal, but the travel time for the OP would be unacceptable.
I love Portugal and had very enjoyable recent visit.

I think the OP needs to look at non-stops available from either PHL or IAD.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 pm

"Iceland" and "reasonably priced" don't go together. The whole country should be locked up for theft. But since OP can get cheapo nonstops from the D.C. area, maybe it's time to knock it off the list before it becomes even more intolerable. A week is more than enough, and I'm sure half the people in his orbit have been, and the other half want to go. Could I be more enthusiastic?!

asterix0

Post by asterix0 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 pm

It only takes 6 hours to fly to Lisbon via United from IAD.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:50 pm

+1 for Costa Rica. Also had a great time in Mexico (Yucutan near Cancun) although Mexico is less safe.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 am

renue74 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 pm
Your kids are 6 and 3. The vacation is for you. I gather the 6 year old will barely remember it and the 3 year old won't.

At that age, I always took my kids to a water/beach based vacation where their experiences are fun/low key affairs.

Bermuda fits that need. We went there for a long weekend over labor day many years ago. The island has a european feeling and the beaches are wonderful. I would say 3 days there is about enough.

Other suggestions....maybe one of those all inclusive deals in the Dominican Republic. A lot of those resorts can cater to families as well.

Taking a 3 year old on an 8+ hour flight to Europe could be a daunting task.
These were my thoughts when I read the original post. I wouldn't take a 3 & 6 yo to Europe. When my kids were those ages, we did things like national parks, Disney World, & beaches that we could reach on short direct flights.

We first did Europe with the kids when they were 7 & 10. They traveled well, shared an adjoining room without us worrying (because you will be SHOCKED at how small European hotel rooms are, and may have difficulty finding one that can accommodate 4 people), and enjoyed the cultural sites. We visited castles, museums, war memorials, etc. A 7 year old can understand and appreciate so much more than a 3 year old!

One vacation I regret not taking with my kids was a Disney Cruise. The families we know who have done it said it's amazing for everyone from the 3 year olds to the teens to the adults. They are spendy, but not any worse than a European vacation. That's what I'd do.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:44 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:32 pm
If it is NOT near vacation week, Aruba. Everyone speaks English. Plenty of grocery stores and many resorts have full kitchens. It's the only Caribbean island I've felt completely safe on. Friendly people who will go out of their way to help if you get lost (have had people see we look lost, tell us to follow them, then they turn around and guide us back to where we want to go). Unlike some islands (Hawaii in particular) rather than thinking tourists have wrecked their island, they know that their island would have nothing without tourists....
We have been to Hawaii about a dozen times and just canceled our upcoming trip for the reason you mentioned! We were in Costa Rica earlier this month and were amazed at how friendly and helpful and appreciative everyone we met was. Another hotel guest told us they'd been to Costa Rica several times, and never travel to Hawaii, because "We like to travel where people LIKE us." One night we ate in a small local restaurant and as we left, we told the owner how much we enjoyed the meal. He thanked us for coming and "supporting my family." This was the type of interaction we've never had in all the Hawaiian vacations. We can't wait to go back to Costa Rica.

I don't think there are direct flights to Costa Rica from the DC area, but you can go pretty easily through Miami, Atlanta, or Houston.

All that said, I stand by my Disney Cruise recommendation for the OP's kids. :D

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 am

renue74 wrote:
Your kids are 6 and 3. The vacation is for you. I gather the 6 year old will barely remember it and the 3 year old won't.

At that age, I always took my kids to a water/beach based vacation where their experiences are fun/low key affairs.

Bermuda fits that need. We went there for a long weekend over labor day many years ago. The island has a european feeling and the beaches are wonderful. I would say 3 days there is about enough.

Other suggestions....maybe one of those all inclusive deals in the Dominican Republic. A lot of those resorts can cater to families as well.

+1

Wait a few years. Your kids will retain memories of the trip when they are older.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 am
renue74 wrote:

+1

Wait a few years. Your kids will retain memories of the trip when they are older.
It was also my initial reaction that 3 and 6 is a little early for "special" travel experiences though the practice managing kids on a trip like that might be good preparation for later. At least all the nitty-gritty like passports will be in place. The kids can even get signed up for a frequent flyer program.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am

Costa Rica is great.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 am

LarryAllen wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am
Costa Rica is great.
+1000

Keri22

Post by Keri22 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:04 am

Stockholm, Sweden. Save $ with Norwegian Airlines. The place is not cheap, but there are lots of AIrbnbs.

TNL

Post by TNL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

I will cast another vote for Ireland. You can get great deals on packages through Aer Lingus Vacation Store or Costco Travel.

Ireland is great. The people are amazing. Very friendly. They love Americans. Your kids will love walking around Dublin, the leprechaun museum, the Irish Immigration Museum, and touring the countryside - many castles there. If you are trying to get your kids into European travel, Ireland is a great starter country. They can use Euros and get used to the idea of currency conversion. It's also nice to go to different places in Ireland and see that people can survive without Walmarts, fast food, and living in a sea of plastic garbage and do just fine.

Ireland is very inexpensive. Even in Dublin, a sit down dinner (without alcohol) and multiple courses can be had for about 40 euro for two. With kids -- YMMV.

May is a nice off season time to go, but bring your rain gear.

You should be able to get a hotel and air package direct from Dulles in May for about $1000-1200 per person including the rental car and hotels. The kids may be discounted as well.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:36 pm

TNL wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm
I will cast another vote for Ireland. You can get great deals on packages through Aer Lingus Vacation Store or Costco Travel.
Ireland is great. The people are amazing. Very friendly. They love Americans. Your kids will love walking around Dublin, the leprechaun museum, the Irish Immigration Museum, and touring the countryside - many castles there. If you are trying to get your kids into European travel, Ireland is a great starter country. They can use Euros and get used to the idea of currency conversion. It's also nice to go to different places in Ireland and see that people can survive without Walmarts, fast food, and living in a sea of plastic garbage and do just fine.
Ireland is very inexpensive. Even in Dublin, a sit down dinner (without alcohol) and multiple courses can be had for about 40 euro for two. With kids -- YMMV.
May is a nice off season time to go, but bring your rain gear.
You should be able to get a hotel and air package direct from Dulles in May for about $1000-1200 per person including the rental car and hotels. The kids may be discounted as well.
Depending on your family background, you may not want to be reminded of the historical facts.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Bmac wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 pm
Costa Rica. Relatively inexpensive, great beaches and nature and quit safe.
+1
(car rental is expensive though)

namekevaste

Post by namekevaste » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 pm

For domestic "exotic" location I would recommend Santa Fe, NM

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 pm

cfs wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am
Ireland. You will see that yes, there are many roads to beautiful Dublin. Good luck and thanks for reading / cfs
+1 Husband and I traveled there last April. It was unbelievably cheap and probably the most gorgeous country I have seen. People were wonderful. $10/day for stick shift car, $90/day for 2 bdm, 2 bath condo on Airbnb in the heart of the towns we wanted to visit.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. Follow up question, which could be its own thread and probably has been in the past:

How much do you spend on your reasonably priced trips? Would be helpful to know family size as well, since three will be quite different from eight.

FraggleRock

Re: costs

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Portugal for 22 days.
DEN-LIS economy.
$9800 USD for 2 people.
AirBnB.
Ate really well as an army travels on its stomach.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 pm

When my wife was young she read Europe on $5 A Day and resolved and succeeded at doing it at half that. I'm not going to say when that was, but I will say that isn't what we do now. I would probably admit to one hundred times that $2.50 a day now, all in, if not more.

I will say there is some relevance in this tale to that "being on the same page thing" both then and today.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 pm

dbr wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 pm
FWIW the US Dept. of State has a new system of travel advisory. It is a four point scale from 1 most safe to 4 dangerous. It is posted country by country here: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/NE ... 20VERT.PDF

Note Netherlands and Iceland are currently "1" and Denmark, Belgium, and the UK are currently "2" "4"goes to places such as North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etc. They do not distinguish Ireland from England.
That link didn't work for me, but there's a searchable web site:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... Pages.html

England isn't listed separately from the rest of UK (but Ireland does, indeed, have it's own page). Hat tip to the Irish, they get a "1" (safest) vs the UK which gets a "2".

gostars

Post by gostars » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 am

Belize is a good international choice, but would be completely wasted with kids 6 and 3. Try that when they're 12 and 9 and would actually enjoy zip lining, cave tubing, hiking around the ruins, and the other touristy stuff.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 am

The Netherlands - specifically the rural areas north of Amsterdam. While living in Germany, we loved to visit the Katwoude/Volendam area. We always stayed at the Jacobs Hoeve B&B.