What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
azurekep

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by azurekep »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:58 pm Just finished listening to the Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. It was an Audible daily deal so 3 or 4 bucks. If those Harry Bosch books you all keep mentioning are half as good as this, I'll definitely have to check some out. This was a thrill.
All the Harry Bosch books are great. I'm reading the latest one, Two Kinds of Truth, and the Lincoln Lawyer features in one of the cases Bosch is working.

I gotta say I prefer the earlier Bosch books, but they're all "A"s. -- ranging from from very good to superb. Can't get better than that.

This installment has him going under cover for the first time, which was`quite interesting.

Earlier, I read John Grisham's The Firm for the second time. It was just as good the second time around.
FlexibleSpender

Post by FlexibleSpender »

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince »

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
sjl333

Post by sjl333 »

Just finished "Stress Control"

Reading "Enough" By Mr. John Bogle Himself.

Planning on Re-reading "7 Habits of Highly Successful People" after I finish "Enough".

In the interim, I am also reading/studying Big Java by Horstmann, prepping for my Computer Science course starting in January 2018.
Minot

Post by Minot »

A reminder from the OP of this thread: [emphasis mine]
Alex Frakt wrote: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:14 am This thread is the continuation of What Book Are You Currently Reading? multi-part megathread:

Please remember that this thread is meant for quick (or long) reviews of books you are reading or just finished. Please keep discussions to the works in question and within the bounds of our forum policies.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"The Last Man Who Knew Everything" by David Schwartz, Basic Books (2017)

I once explained to a friend that "Einstein's name, ideas, and discoveries were spread all over physics and not just confined to Relativity Theory". For example, Einstein offered the first concept about how lasers would work decades before an actual working laser was constructed (let me make it clear that he never proposed the actual concept of a laser, as far as I know; the basic theoretical idea which he correctly intuited was that atoms could be stimulated to release two identical photons after absorbing one photon of a certain frequency).

The same can be said of Enrico Fermi. Most people know him only as the immigrant Italian physicist who was responsible for the creation of the first atomic reactor (pile) - and nothing else. Au contraire, mes amis! The first comprehensive experimental survey of nuclear reactions? Check. Wrote the first successful paper (the theory of beta decay) on what are now called the "weak interactions"? Check. Fermi-Dirac statistics for quantized particles? Check. Influential papers about high energy physics? Check. The last scientist to be recognized as an expert in both theoretical and experimental physics? Check. Great teacher? Check.

So Fermi deserves a biography that describes the life of this important genius to the general reading public. I have good news and bad news. If you want to learn the non-scientific details of Fermi's life, then by all means read this book. It covers those details in an exhaustive fashion. If you want complete accuracy in scientific facts and history - well, not so much. Schwartz makes multiple errors in this regard. If you don't believe me, then read physics emeritus professor Jeremy Bernstein's review of "Last Man" in the Wall Street Journal of 16-17 December 2017, page C15 (I egotistically admit that I was quite pleased that I caught the same errors which Bernstein noted in his article). I also understand that for most people my gripes (and Bernstein's) will not affect their enjoyment of this book. The importance of learning about Fermi outweighs the mistakes in the text.

One final item which I found to be irksome....Schwartz is a Ph.D. in political science, from MIT of all places. His father won the Nobel Prize for significant experiments that studied neutrino interactions. Schwartz the son seems to think that his family tree gives him the right to exclaim where Fermi failed in his scientific career. Uh, no....I don't think so. If Steven Weinberg or Sheldon Glashow (Nobel Prize winners in physics) want to opine about Fermi's successes vs. failures, fine, I will listen carefully. When Schwartz earns another doctorate in nuclear reactions, then I might pay some attention to any musings he might have about Fermi or any other great physicist.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Just finished Provenance by Anne Leckie. This is a science fiction book is set in her "Ancillary" background, but featuring different cultures than the Radchaii. Some of the familiar themes are present, including the question of identity and fun with pronouns. On Hwae, while human population, there are three genders: male, female, and Neman. If I understood it correctly, and she doesn't info-dump it, when a person feels they have reached adulthood, they select a name and a gender.

At any rate, Ingray is the daughter of Netano, a powerful politician. Ingray was fostered out of the public "crèche" system. She competes with her brother for her mother's affection and ultimately her name. The powerful pass their names down to chosen successors. She's knows that her brother, adopted from a wealthy family instead of the public system, is the likely heir. She's desperate enough to risk everything to put a plot in motion to discover missing artifacts and perhaps put over on her brother. Events, however, move in a fashion that she could never have imagined, and put her in the midst of both a murder-mystery and a political/military adventure.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm
bertilak wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:46 pm Moby-Dick or The Whale (1851) by Herman Melville

After years of putting it off, I have finally decided to go to sea. That is, I will embark on the reading of Moby-Dick! This will be a long journey, some 730 pages. I am only on page 7, but have already decided I quite enjoy the narrator’s musings.
I am a bit further along and was surprised by a reference to Mungo Park in one of Ishmael's musings. Mungo Park has come up here before in reference to his book, Travels in the Interior of Africa (1799). Ishmael was comparing travel by sea to travel on land by foot. Park's travel did not turn out very well, having never been seen again after starting his second journey into Africa.

It's an odd feeling knowing that Herman Melville and I read the same book. I wonder what's become of his copy?
This might be a clue: https://www.nysoclib.org/blog/herman-me ... ty-library. Its possible he borrowed it from the library. They had the copy in 1800 and still have it today. https://library.nysoclib.org/record=b1164886. So there is a reasonable chance you could look at the very copy he read.
Last edited by Dantes on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

The Midnight Line by Lee Child. One of his best.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Re-reading:

"The Nine", by Jeffrey Toobin, about the Supreme Court.
It was written about 10 years ago, so it captures a lot of the interesting past, including the Gore-Bush election.
Fascinating behind the scenes kind of stuff, including interactions among the Justices.

Next up: "The Brethren", also about the Supreme Court, by Woodward and Armstrong.
This one is mostly about the 1969-75 terms.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Dantes wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am
bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm It's an odd feeling knowing that Herman Melville and I read the same book. I wonder what's become of his copy?
This might be a clue: https://www.nysoclib.org/blog/herman-me ... ty-library. Its possible he borrowed it from the library. They had the copy in 1800 and still have it today. https://library.nysoclib.org/record=b1164886. So there is a reasonable chance you could look at the very copy he read.
Very interesting. I wonder if the library kept a record of people who checked out the book. I might actually go to the library in the unlikely event I am ever in the area.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"Pretty Girl Gone" by David Housewright.

I am running out of books by my favorite mystery authors and have branched out. Housewright is pretty good, a notch or two below Michael Connelly, but that is not too bad!

His series revolves around a Minneapolis PI Mac McKenzie who does "favors" for friends. This book's "friend" is childhood friend who is now the first lady of Minnesota, who's husband (governor) is whispered to have murdered his high school girlfriend 30 years ago.
Could it be true? McKenzie returns to the small town and stirs up a lot of trouble in a short time.

Ed
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Cities of Gold, by Douglas Preston.

The narrative of two men travelling the route used by Coronado in 1540 searching for the Seven Cities of Cibola. 450 years later they traveled on horseback from the Mexico/Arizona border, across New Mexico, to the edge of the Southern Plains at the Pecos River, about 950 miles in 70 days. Along they way they encountered remote cattle ranches and ranchers, sheep hearders, miners, and the remnants of the tribes and pueblos which Coronado had encountered -- Zuni, Acoma, Hopi, Navajo, Pecos.

The book also describes the first contacts between Coronado and the tribes along this route encountered in 1640.

This is a very interesting story.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished reading Kate White's "Even if it Kills Her". This is a recent Bailey Weggins series book, but the first I have read from White. Will read other works as I am always looking for mystery books.

Ed
A440

Post by A440 »

"How to Make Your Money Last" by Jane Bryant Quinn
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"How We Work and Why" by E.Hunter Harrison.

This was privately published by Canadian National Railroad and was penned by their then CEO. He recently died while CEO of CSX Railroad. He was very controversial in his "Precision Railroading."

Ed
Blues

Post by Blues »

"The Flashman Papers" by George MacDonald Fraser.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/192 ... man-papers
MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom »

Deep Freeze by Jon Sandford
blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 »

^^ (Just finished Deep Freeze ... freakin' Flowers!)

High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic by Glenn Frankel

Interesting book, with all the background on the writers, directors and artists. A lot about Gary Cooper; what a career. Oh, and John Wayne is quoted as saying that High Noon was the most un-American film ever made.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Blood Money by David Ignatius
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"The Black Widow" by Daniel Silva, 3/4 way through, page turner.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley.

Other than a guy named Frankenstein creating a monster, this is totally different than the movie. It reads like early 19th century fan fiction written by a teenage girl who doesn’t get out much. The story is told in three voices. It begins and ends with letters from Captain Walton, a ship captain who rescues Victor Frankenstein off of an ice floe, to his sister back home. The bulk of the story is told alternately by Frankenstein and his monster. The only voice that feels real is Captain Walton’s. Frankenstein’s part of the story has plot holes that a truck could drive through. The monster sounds like an Oxford philosopher. I think the only reason I finished the book is because I wanted to find out what Frankenstein and his monster were doing chasing each other on an Arctic ice floe in the first chapter.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

100 Baggers by Cris Mayer, again. Every time I read it I'm highlighting additional info I missed on the last read. It's really been a great value in that respect.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit »

The Road to Character and Don Quixote.

Old and new.
Hi!
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Dave55 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 pm "The Black Widow" by Daniel Silva, 3/4 way through, page turner.

Dave
Good to hear! Thanks for the reminder to pick up another Gabriel Allon book from the library for our vacation in three weeks. Finished Portrait of A Spy last September, so The English Girl is next.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Just downloaded from Audible - Bobby Kennedy / A Raging Spirit by Chris Matthews, read by the author. Less than an hour in, but enjoying it.

I had forgot Booby's father, Joe, was appointed first chair of the SEC. Roosevelt needed to make a pro-business appointment due to lots of criticism over the expanding social programs that were part of the New Deal. Joe Kennedy got rich short selling stocks and flipping different businesses, and knew every secret in the Wall Street book. A well fed fox now watching the hen house.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

The only guide to a winning bond strategy you'll ever need By Swedroe, Larry E.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

“Crucial Confrontations”. Updated edition called Crucial Accountability. by Patterson, Grenny, et al. A book on how to deal with difficult people. I find it useful for several of the concepts, including the concept of “safety.” In short, be aware of the other persons feelings, and back off if they are starting to react violently or angrily Maybe I have this wrong. A useful book to read.

“Troublemakers: Silicon Valley’s Coming of Age.” by Berlin. I was working in Silicon Valley in 1970. There is a lot I didn’t know about what happened and who did it. This is a great history book. It is a great story and has lots of cautionary tales about people who could not see what was in front of them. And people who could see. Well told.

“Nudge.” by Thaler and Sunstein. About human behavior by a lawyer and an economist. Why people make bad choices, and how people can be helped to make better choices. A whole area of study I knew nothing about. Covers investing, health care and other important topics. An eye opener.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

MJW wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:04 am The Firm is my favorite of Grisham's, as well...followed closely by The Rainmaker and The Client.
Agreed; those three are best.

I recently re-read The Firm. Now I"m re-reading The Rainmaker. Both are just as good the second time around.

The Firm had more excitement, but The Rainmaker is David vs Goliath -- a novice just barely out of law school vs Big Insurance backed by Big Law. You're rooting for the little guy vs the big, bad corporation.
knick17

Post by knick17 »

currently a collection of poems from Charles Bukowski!
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Escape Claws by Linda Reilly -- a cozy cat-lady mystery.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I finished The Safe Man by Michael Connelly. Its a short story he wrote several years ago. I wouldn't recognize the writing from the Bosch books. A quick read. My ebook showed I was half way when it ended. The rest of the file was a teaser for one of the older Bosch books. Worth an hour of your time.

I've started Provenance by Ann Lecki, author of the Ancillary series. This one's set in the same overall Radch time and space but features a different type of story and pushes the multi-gender pronouns further, e, eir and others.

So far its more of a social or political story, rather than heavy sci-fi. That may change since I'm only a few chapters into it. Good writing, interesting situations.
Last edited by heartwood on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Hit and Run
by Lawrence Block
John Keller series, Book 4

Keller is in an unaccustomed role.... He's the subject of a national manhunt. How in heck did that happen to this unassuming guy who always flies under the radar? Well, he was hired for a hit job in Des Moines and his clients kept putting him off on the timing. Keller became suspicious and sure enough, while buying new items for his stamp collection, the TV news announced that an out-of-state governor visiting Des Moines had been murdered. Keller instinctively knew that he would be framed for it, and he wasn't wrong. Now he's on the run.

Part of the book was the roadtrip — getting out of Dodge, or rather Des Moines. There was less humor than in the other books, but he found unexpected luck in terms of a disguise by wearing a Homer Simpson cap. :) People flocked to him in glee and commented on "their man, Simpson" and totally ignored Keller's face.

Part of the book involved sadness — another oddity in this usuallly ironically humorous series.

Not the best of the Keller series, but it rounds out his story for Keller fans.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Robert Crais's "The Wanted". It's an Elvis Cole, Joe Pike novel, with many comments on Cole's cat. Among the best story I've read recently.

I posted a few days ago that I started Provenance by Ann Leckie. I slogged through 70+ percent of it and gave up for now. That far in and I'm not sure what the story is. For me at least, not up to her prior books.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Just finished “Fire and Fury”. Entertaining read, particularly toward the end when Steve Bannon launches into several operatic rants. (Lots of White House/West Wing intrigue.) If you follow the news there are no big surprises, but several small ones.

Remarkably, events have already outrun the end of the book. But events unfold fast here in the current era.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:38 am
nisiprius wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 pm Alexander McCall Smith, Precious and Grace, number 278* in the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series but I must say he keeps the quality fairly high for unbelievable number of books he writes...

*Just kidding, but it must be like the eleventh or twelfth or so...
I found "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" at an airport book store and ended up buying a half dozen more but that was it for me -- I simply got burned out on them. They do make interesting reads in the way they very successfully immerse you in a different culture, different from my culture anyway. They are character studies as well as who-done-its. I sympathized with the characters because they always did their best and did so as gracefully as they could manage.
Oh, I agree with the "burnout." Same thing with his "44 Scotland Street" series. After five or six you want a year or two rest... but then you can start again. And the cross-cultural thing is... hard to assess. One of the things about McCall Smith is that when you read his novels not set in Botswana, you realize that some of what you thought was Botswana was the McCall Smith touch. I wouldn't be too sure that they drink bush tea in Botswana as much as Precious and Grace do--he's even admitted that when he's stuck on a storyline he can always have them make tea. He's also acknowledged putting a positive spin on things. AIDS doesn't make an explicit appearance in the books, and I literally never thought about it until he mentioned to an interviewer that it does indirectly: that is why there is an orphan farm. In Botswana do they really use "late" the way his characters do? In Botswana do people actually refer to someone as "traditionally built?" Or are these just McCall Smith drolleries? I don't know.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

heartwood wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm I posted a few days ago that I started Provenance by Ann Leckie. I slogged through 70+ percent of it and gave up for now. That far in and I'm not sure what the story is. For me at least, not up to her prior books.
On the subject of partially read books: I have repeatedly tried to finish “The Honorary Counsel” by Grahame Greene. So far, the urge and will are not up to the task.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

steve roy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm...I Just finished “Fire and Fury”...
I have, too.

I will say these things: 1) it is a long book that held my interest from beginning to end. The long excerpt in New York magazine did not contain everything in the book that was worth reading.

2) There is something delightful about the fact that this book has now shot up to rank #4,117 at Amazon, and is apparently producing a nice little windfall for Randall Hansen. (However, I have no plans to read it).

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 pm
steve roy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm...I Just finished “Fire and Fury”...
I have, too.

I will say these things: 1) it is a long book that held my interest from beginning to end. The long excerpt in New York magazine did not contain everything in the book that was worth reading.
Fire and Fury was the other book I finished reading. I didn't want to be the first to report. :)

Since the B word (Bannon) has already been uttered, I'll outline the "plot" for those who haven't read it. It's basically about three power centers in the White House: The Bannon faction, the Javanka faction and the Rence Priebus faction. The first two are in powerful opposition to each other.

Bannon seems to be the one with the brains in the White House, however horrendous many of us think about his ideas. He is well-read and observes goings-on in the White House with Shakespearean drama and a keen sense of irony. He is self-aware enough to know that he can't do a single thing as the White House careens towards disaster. I gotta say, I got a better impression of Bannon reading the book, and he seems to be the primary source of WH staff input to the book.
2) There is something delightful about the fact that this book has now shot up to rank #4,117 at Amazon, and is apparently producing a nice little windfall for Randall Hansen. (However, I have no plans to read it).

Hilarious. :mrgreen:
SGM

Post by SGM »

Stalin's Ghost by Martin Smith. Inspector Renko adventures. It is a bit bloody, but interesting enough that I checked out another book by Smith.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

"Big History" a great reminder how tiny this lifetime is. Mixed review but there have been some highlights and tidbits that have me pondering for a couple days.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

heartwood wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm I posted a few days ago that I started Provenance by Ann Leckie. I slogged through 70+ percent of it and gave up for now. That far in and I'm not sure what the story is. For me at least, not up to her prior books.
I found it to be an easy read. Things are a bit confusing, but that because it's at its heart a mystery. There a few moving parts. I enjoyed it.
LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN »

Sandberg's "Option B' is excellent, as is Adam Grant's "Originals"
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished Lawrence Block's "Tanner on Ice".

Block is one of my favorite authors and he has been quite prolific in his career. I have never read a "Tanner" series book and this was quite slow for awhile but picked up steam. It sort of reminded me of William F. Buckley's "Blackford Oakes" series. It has been over 20 years since i read any of Buckleys novels, something about Tanner reminded me of the Buckley works.

Ed
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Anna Karenina.

Very readable. Tolstoy is a fantastic writer. I read and very much enjoyed War and Peace a couple of years ago. The Schwartz translation is my favorite, but the Constance Garrett translation thatks in the public domain is good too. 1100 pages. I’ll be at this awhile.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

A Nest of Vipers by Andrea Camillieri
The Inspector Montalbano series - book 21

I read these books mainly for the amusing character of Salvo (Montalbano). Salvo circumvents the police bureaucracy with imaginative excuses, enjoys the gustatory pleasures of life (esp. seafood in a trattoria followed by a walk along the jetty to the lighthouse), and frequently has to dodge his strong-minded, jealous girlfriend else suffer hilariously pointless arguments. This book is no different.

Plotwise, it was one of the simpler murders - no Mafia, drugs, human trafficking, etc... The victim was a rich, arrogant, authoritarian businessman/loan shark, who abused prostitutes and other young women and secretly photographed his sexual encounters. The effect this trove of X-rated photos had on one of Salvo's higher-ups -- who can barely breathe... and who enlarges the photos and pins them on his wall -- provides some humor.

Not my favorite in the series because Salvo got stuck with the dumb stick. I would bet most readers figure out the murderer well before Salvo has any inkling. There were psychological reasons for this, but still...
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Grant, by Ron Chernow.

Dissapointing. Not as good as The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant, or the three volume series, Captain Sam Grant, Grant Takes Command and Grant Moves south by Lloyd Lewis and Bruce Catton.

The Chernow book does give a more detailed treatment of Grant's alcoholism and recovery, and of the scandals of his second term as President.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 am
Dave55 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 pm "The Black Widow" by Daniel Silva, 3/4 way through, page turner.

Dave
Good to hear! Thanks for the reminder to pick up another Gabriel Allon book from the library for our vacation in three weeks. Finished Portrait of A Spy last September, so The English Girl is next.
The Black Widow was really part 1 of a 2 part series, "House of Spies" is the 2nd one in the series, loved both books.

Dave
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Just finished "Appaloosa" by Robert B. Parker - I loved it, could not put it down.

Now reading 6th in the Dave Robichaeux series by James Lee Burke. So far all of these are excellent.

I am also a big fan or Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch), Lee Child (Jack Reacher), Robert Crais (Elvis Cole & Joe Pike), Robert B. Parker (Spenser, Jesse Stone and Sonny Randall series) and Lawrence Block (Matt Scudder series).

Dave