Looking for a reasonably priced, safe international destination

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Incendiary

Looking for a reasonably priced, safe international destination

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am

I live in the DC area (DCA, IAD, BWI). Have two young kids, 6 and 3. Have up to a week off. I only speak English. The trip will be first week of May.

Wants:
Safe for the family
Not too expensive
Outside the US

I was thinking Iceland. Any other destinations that fit this bill?

Thanks!

PFInterest

Re: Looking for a reasonably priced, safe international destination

Post by PFInterest » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am

Canada.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

PFInterest wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am
Canada.
Yes. Even French Canada, where English only speakers can get along quite well. Montreal and Quebec City are wonderful.

Or Bermuda. Consider a cruise.
Last edited by dm200 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

Bermuda. It will be full of Americans then which could make it very dangerous.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:51 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am
Bermuda. It will be full of Americans then which could make it very dangerous.
There are Bermuda cruises from Baltimore.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 am

Canada is a great idea, but we have been several times and would like to try something new.

Bermuda is an idea!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 am
Canada is a great idea, but we have been several times and would like to try something new.
Bermuda is an idea!
Cruises are not for everyone. We took cruises to Bermuda twice. Once was from Alexandria - rare occasion when a small ship came up the Potomac. One from Baltimore. The Baltimore - Bermuda cruises are mostly five days. Very short time in Bermuda - mostly at sea - which I like, but some do not.

SaveStrong

Post by SaveStrong » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:04 am

Iceland. Seen a bunch of deals from dca area airports as well.

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 am

Can't go wrong with Iceland - it is a great country, though I wouldn't call it cheap. People speak Icelandic but 99% of the people also speak English. You might also consider Quebec City - very European-ish and old - and/or Montreal - a big cosmopolitan city.

I mention these two Canadian cities in reference to your two young children. In the mid-70s my 7? year old sister spent an intense day in San Francisco's Chinatown and it left such an impression on her that years later when people asked her what foreign countries she had visited she would always mention China. This went on for a spell and then our Mom confronted her on this and she was adamant she had been to China. To her dismay, she found out it was SF Chinatown and not China and her story had to be amended. My point is, depending on your kid's imagination, the Province of Quebec could be a good easy place to introduce your kids to a new culture and sounds, but not really go that far away. I think the CAN/US dollar exchange is very favorable right now while the US/ISK isn't great.
Powered by chocolate!

Lars_2013

Post by Lars_2013 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:09 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am
With little kids, I'm not sure I'd classify Iceland as a safe destination. It's rough terrain and tourists sometimes die there (arguably from doing stupid things, but little kids don't have a lot of common sense). It's one place where I think those ridiculous child leashes might make sense for a 3-year-old. https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/07/ic ... sm/533382/

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 am

Depends on whether you want a European or Caribbean flavored experience.
Ireland or The Netherlands are good for the former.
And most Caribbean islands are good, even if English isn't their first language...
Attempted new signature...

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 am

England. Direct flights from DC.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:12 am

I'd consider Ireland. Often pretty decent flights in and out of Dublin or Shannon.

Depending on the budget I'd add Amsterdam. English spoken pretty widely, quite diverse population.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am

Ireland. You will see that yes, there are many roads to beautiful Dublin. Good luck and thanks for reading / cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

sc9182

Post by sc9182 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 am

Cancun? Pristine beaches and other kiddo activities.

Miami or Fl ain't bad either for May timeframe (sorry no international, but far away and fun for kids/family nonetheless). Or, LA/Ca.

Not sure any EU destinations/airlines offer deals, check google.com/flights with Europe as destination it will show pricing for various destinations, you can still down to country level.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am

My point is, depending on your kid's imagination, the Province of Quebec could be a good easy place to introduce your kids to a new culture and sounds, but not really go that far away. I think the CAN/US dollar exchange is very favorable right now while the US/ISK isn't great.
Yes - if you have not been to French Canada.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am

I think we are leaning towards somewhere in Europe for this trip. The kids have not been there.

Iceland, Ireland, England, and Amsterdam so far. I didn't think most people thought London was "reasonably priced"?

student

Post by student » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:20 am

I agree with others that Quebec is nice to visit. I would think that with the economic situation, places like Greece may be relatively inexpensive to visit.

hitemwiththehein

Post by hitemwiththehein » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:24 am

Having been to Iceland, I wouldn't call it reasonably priced. Getting there is cheap, staying and doing all the touristy things is more expensive than even Scandinavia. If your family can survive the LCC that is Wow Air, you pretty much have a lot of European destinations open to you. I'm partial to Prague, incredibly cheap with plenty of connections to the rest of Europe.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:52 am

London is not "reasonably" priced. I could see Amsterdam as a good first visit. The Netherlands is a very child friendly place. Even the airport has good play spaces for children. They might be intrigued seeing so many kids carried around on bicycles by their parents. Walking around in Amsterdam is easy but children need to be trained to stay where people walk and not stray in front of bicycles and cars. Canal tour by boat could be good for kids.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 am

Incendiary wrote:
I live in the DC area (DCA, IAD, BWI). Have two young kids, 6 and 3. Have up to a week off. I only speak English. The trip will be first week of May.

Wants:
Safe for the family
Not too expensive
Outside the US

Thanks!
What about Poland? I was there in May 2016 and it was fantastic. I particularly liked Krakow. Poland is a very modern country, very clean and relatively inexpensive.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Book an all-inclusive in DR or another Caribbean retreat through Costco Travel

/thread

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Holland or Denmark.

However- the "safe" in your title suggests you may be particularly antsy. All of northern Europe would be considered "safe" by most, indeed almost all of western Europe. Safer than the US, anyway.

BTW, Iceland is very pricey, even compared to other parts of Scandinavia.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 pm

FWIW the US Dept. of State has a new system of travel advisory. It is a four point scale from 1 most safe to 4 dangerous. It is posted country by country here: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/NE ... 20VERT.PDF

Note Netherlands and Iceland are currently "1" and Denmark, Belgium, and the UK are currently "2" "4"goes to places such as North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etc. They do not distinguish Ireland from England.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm

We are in the dc area. We just booked a really good deal to punta can Royalton beach resort. It’s a brand new resort so they are heavily promoting it through deasl. Booking.com had a deal for kids staying for free. Even for spring break it was about $3500 for four. All inclusive including airfare for a non-stop round trip . Same resort has deals on orbitz , Expedia etc. they just rotate the days.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore to Bermuda. They have excellent kids' programs on board that your children will enjoy and give you free time with your spouse. If you have the finances for it, Disney cruise out of Florida would probably even be better both because of the Disney theme, specific orientation for kids (but I've heard adults love the Disney ships too) and a Disney (or any) Caribbean cruise runs much less risk of a rocking ship than an Atlantic voyage to Bermuda. But in fairness to the Bermuda cruise, May and September are the best months to be in Bermuda, and May, unlike September, is not hurricane season, so a May cruise is ideal for Bermuda. Either one (Disney or Royal Caribbean) will feed you and your kids really well and you can basically just relax -- no repeated packing and unpacking, no hunting for a good, reasonable priced places to eat and professional, programmed daycare for your kids at no extra charge that they will enjoy.

If this seems appealing, check out cruisecritic or similar website for particular comments from people with children your age. I really think a cruise will be the ideal choice for you in every way. To see all cruises log in to vacationstogo.com. All they require is your email address and your "name." You can get a good idea of prices and itineraries with no obligations or hassle. It's much easier to use than the cruise line websites. Once you see something you like on vacationstogo you can get more detail by looking up the particular cruise on the cruise line website. You can book through vacationstogo, directly with the cruise line, or with a travel agent.

FYI, I've cruised Royal Caribbean but not Disney and have not personally had kids or grandkids in the programs, but have seen the daycare kids marching happily through the cruise liners in well-supervised groups carrying things or wearing costumes they made and getting ice cream or snacks, and have spoken with parents of the kids and never heard a negative.

Have fun.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 pm

I am indeed an antsy person. However, the main reason I added safe as a requirement is because we initially were going to go to another country and numerous people told us to choose a different destination because it wouldn't be safe to go, particularly with kids.

I'd like an interesting cultural experience for the kids to enjoy. For selfish reasons, I'd like a place I haven't been. Of the suggestions so far, that means Ireland, Iceland, and Greece are in the lead.

Is Bermuda interesting for kids? A concern I have is they can go to beaches in the US, so that might not be "eye opening" for them.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Incendiary wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 pm
I am indeed an antsy person. However, the main reason I added safe as a requirement is because we initially were going to go to another country and numerous people told us to choose a different destination because it wouldn't be safe to go, particularly with kids.

I'd like an interesting cultural experience for the kids to enjoy. For selfish reasons, I'd like a place I haven't been. Of the suggestions so far, that means Ireland, Iceland, and Greece are in the lead.

Is Bermuda interesting for kids? A concern I have is they can go to beaches in the US, so that might not be "eye opening" for them.
I would think the logistics of getting to and around Iceland or Ireland would be better for a family with small children than Greece.

This website suggests some of the issues: http://www.livinlovin.gr/strikes-work-s ... e-updated/

We were able to get off Crete for other islands just a week after taxi drivers had shut down all ferries. Boat service along the south shore of Crete was also halted as it was found the inspector of boats had been faking the inspections for months and nobody was actually certified anymore. We fled Athens for two nights in the airport hotel just before a 24 hours all transit (buses, cabs, limos, rail) strike was to begin. We returned from a two day bus tour to be let off blocks from our hotel right in front of a phalanx of protesters headed for the main square, all direct routes to where we needed to go cut off. All that said Greece is a wonderful visit and the people mostly really fantastic. Avoiding Athens entirely helps immensely, but transportation reliability is an issue anywhere.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I should add that Greece probably qualifies as being a more "international" experience than Iceland or Ireland because there is the experience of offering a foreign language relative to English and also a different alphabet. That experience will be totally lost on a three year old and probably also on a six year old. An adult can actually start to read signage in Greek with some preparation. A huge interest in Greece is antiquities, especially historical sites. Not having read the Iliad I am not sure how impressed children will be with Mycenae other than as a pile of rocks. For someone living in DC I expect Iceland will offer the greatest natural contrast, similar to going perhaps to Yellowstone and other places in the Western United States. A three year old might relate to that. Greek food will probably be the most different while still appealing. I am not sure about the possible oddities of Icelandic "native" cuisine.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks. I did think that three would be too young for a trip like this, thus being a waste of money. However, we went to a Caribbean island a couple years ago and our elder child continued to talk about it for a while after. He was fascinated by the buses we took. That impressed upon me that even at a young age I should be willing to take them to see different sights and sounds, etc.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Consider southern Arizona. Tucson is very foreign to Baltimore, due to the low desert surrounded by rugged high mountains, bright sunshine, and mid-day warmth.

The Sonoran Desert Museum (arboretum and desert animal zoo with some imitation natural enclosures), takes most of a day to see it well. Go when there will be an avian show (Raptor Free Flights) of hawks with over 4' wingspans that fly freely then return to their handler's food offerings of raw chicken. Picnic outdoors in January at the museum entrance or at the adjacent park, where the wild cardinals sometimes beg to share your food. No food allowed inside the Desert Museum.

Also, you could spend a night in the US at a border town with day trips into Mexico, or shuttle (no rental cars allow trans-border use, maybe for an extra fee) to the beaches at Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco, Mexico, which is safe since it is not on smugglers' routes.

Today in Tucson, the forecast high is 78, low of 49. I don't live there, but it is a great place to visit in the winter time.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Great suggestion. That will be on the short list for our next domestic vacation.

FraggleRock

Portugal

Post by FraggleRock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Lisboa, Portugal.
Everyone speaks English, sadly.
Lots to do. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions ... RT_WRAPPER
Inexpensive. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... ty2=Lisbon
Safe. https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/portugal
Good food and not weird for someone from the USA.

On second thought. No go as there are no non-stops from BWI to LIS.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Ireland , Aer Lingus flies there direct from many US cities now , DW and I are planning a trip ourselves .

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 pm

I have not been to Iceland but it is very popular now and they get several million tourists each year, on and island that only has a population of about a half a million people. In addition to crowds I would be concerned that the first week of May might have bad weather to since it is in the North Atlantic.
Incendiary wrote:
Have up to a week off.
Traveling to Europe for just a week will be expensive and frustrating, especially with kids that are 6 and 3 when you will need to be flexible with your schedule depending on what the kids are up to on a given day. If a weather front comes through and gives you three days of bad weather that could blow half of your vacation.

Do you already have all your passports, and have you checked that you have a least six months past your return date before they expire? If not it could be cutting it close trying to get them by May 1st since there can be unexpected delays.

At that age there is little that the kids will really enjoy about going to Europe.

Going someplace like Florida would be more practical.

ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Coastal British Columbia...will be warm down low with snow in the mountains. Scenery is absolutely breathtaking. English speaking and safe. Still a good exchange rate with the CAD to keep things affordable.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:51 pm

dbr wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 pm
FWIW the US Dept. of State has a new system of travel advisory. It is a four point scale from 1 most safe to 4 dangerous. It is posted country by country here: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/NE ... 20VERT.PDF

Note Netherlands and Iceland are currently "1" and Denmark, Belgium, and the UK are currently "2" "4"goes to places such as North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etc. They do not distinguish Ireland from England.
Interesting list that raises two questions:

1. For a good comparison, what's the number for the US?

2. If North Korea is a 4, is the scale logarithmic?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:55 pm

heyyou wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:22 pm
Consider southern Arizona. Tucson is very foreign to Baltimore, due to the low desert surrounded by rugged high mountains, bright sunshine, and mid-day warmth.

The Sonoran Desert Museum (arboretum and desert animal zoo with some imitation natural enclosures), takes most of a day to see it well. Go when there will be an avian show (Raptor Free Flights) of hawks with over 4' wingspans that fly freely then return to their handler's food offerings of raw chicken. Picnic outdoors in January at the museum entrance or at the adjacent park, where the wild cardinals sometimes beg to share your food. No food allowed inside the Desert Museum.

Also, you could spend a night in the US at a border town with day trips into Mexico, or shuttle (no rental cars allow trans-border use, maybe for an extra fee) to the beaches at Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco, Mexico, which is safe since it is not on smugglers' routes.

Today in Tucson, the forecast high is 78, low of 49. I don't live there, but it is a great place to visit in the winter time.
The Desert Museum is pretty cool and I recommend it to everyone.

Kids might particularly like the venomous reptile show. Sit up front for the best view.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:41 pm

dbr wrote:

Ireland is listed as a 1

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Costa Rica. Relatively inexpensive, great beaches and nature and quit safe.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 pm

My limited experience, the only thing cheap about Iceland is the flight. Everything else is super expensive.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Fly to London and do the London stuff. ride a double deck bus, changing of guards 3-4 days. Next hop on a train and go north to Edinburgh. Visit Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile 3-4 days. Fly home from Edinburgh.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:04 pm

dbr wrote:

The State Department may have problems but it's not that bad. Ireland is a 1. UK is a 2. England is an internal subdivision of the UK.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Do you have passports for the kiddos? If not you should jump on that ASAP. Passports are required for international air travel, recommended for cruises. While you do not need a passport to take a ship that begins and ends its journey from the US, if any type of emergency presented itself and you neede to fly back, that passport will be needed.

Carnival has cruises out of Baltimore to Bahamas. The kids will LOVE it!

Royal Carribean has cruises out of Baltimore as well, but I would not recommend that ship.

Inexpensive?, check! International?, well barely out of the US but its a good start.

My first cruise was when my daughter was 5 on Carnival Glory out of Norfolk. We all loved the cruise, it may have been low expectations and we were pleasantly surprised.

Some folks will quickly snub Carnival, I have been on Carnival ships 3 times, ( Bahamas / Grand Turk ) Royal Carribean ( Bermuda) once, and Holland America ( Alaska) Once. That first cruise on Carnival is still our favorite ship experience.

Good luck with your travels! Enjoy, the kiddos grow up fast!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 pm
My limited experience, the only thing cheap about Iceland is the flight. Everything else is super expensive.
Agreed. I don’t think anywhere in Western Europe is going to be inexpensive relative to anywhere. Which is why I suggested Costa Rica. Canada, as others have mentioned would be good. Particularly Montreal/Quebec. The rest of Canada, especially British Columbia, does not feel very international.

BL

Post by BL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:44 pm

If you go the the Netherlands, your kids might like Madurodam, the miniature city. Our kids loved it decades ago.
Madurodam is a miniature park and tourist attraction in the Scheveningen district of The Hague in the Netherlands. It is home to a range of 1:25 scale model replicas of famous Dutch landmarks, historical cities and large developments. Wikipedia

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 pm

For various reasons, we were able to travel (in the US, various places) almost every year when our son was young (from about age 3-12). He loved to travel and was great.

Now, decades later, I am pleasantly surprised that he still has positive memories/attitudes that we did this travel.

Others may express experiences, but I am surprised how much he remembers.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Incendiary wrote:

Wants:
Safe for the family
Not too expensive
Outside the US

If you think Iceland is "not too expensive" then you are rich and can travel anywhere in the world. One night at a hotel in Reykjavik will cost you $300 to $400 for a 3-star not-at-all-impressive place. Plus many of them are sold out, or nearly sold out, for May already, since it is peak season. When I was in Iceland last summer, one afternoon we paid $70 for two burgers and two beers for lunch.

With a few exceptions, the rest of the thread is full of typical charming American provincialism. Here are my suggestions for places that are outside the US, safe for the family, and actually "not too expensive" (unlike all of the Western European suggestions which are most definitely "expensive").

Thailand (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Taiwan (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Vietnam (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Cambodia (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Bulgaria (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Argentina (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Botswana (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Burma (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Fiji (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Estonia (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Laos (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Sri Lanka (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Macedonia (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Morocco (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Poland (mentioned elsewhere)
Peru (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Czech Republic (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Romania (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Rwanda (State Department highest safety rating of 1)
Uruguay (State Department highest safety rating of 1)

(And, yes, you can travel to all of those places even if you only speak English. It isn't like tourists actually learn the language of any of the places they go beforehand. No one learns Vietnamese before going to Vietnam or Estonian before going to Estonia or Japanese before going to Japan.)

Instead of asking strangers on the internet for "safe" and "reasonably priced" places you should pick a travel destination that has some kind of appeal to you. If you have Swedish heritage than you may find Sweden more interesting than Ireland. If your father served in the Vietnam war, then Vietnam might be more interesting than Canada. If your wife always dreamed on a trip to France....then that'll probably be more memorable than picking some place cheaper.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 pm

You can travel inexpensively in England and most places in Europe if you are prepared to live slightly further out of the town. My first priority is a place close to a metro. Most European cities have excellent rail transportation.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Your kids are 6 and 3. The vacation is for you. I gather the 6 year old will barely remember it and the 3 year old won't.

At that age, I always took my kids to a water/beach based vacation where their experiences are fun/low key affairs.

Bermuda fits that need. We went there for a long weekend over labor day many years ago. The island has a european feeling and the beaches are wonderful. I would say 3 days there is about enough.

Other suggestions....maybe one of those all inclusive deals in the Dominican Republic. A lot of those resorts can cater to families as well.

Taking a 3 year old on an 8+ hour flight to Europe could be a daunting task.