Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sambb
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by sambb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 pm

MACAN! Awesome! fantastic fantastic choice! best of sports, SUV, wagon, and ITS a PORSCHE

baguette
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:17 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by baguette » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:16 pm

sambb wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 pm
MACAN! Awesome! fantastic fantastic choice! best of sports, SUV, wagon, and ITS a PORSCHE
:sharebeer

randomguy
Posts: 6295
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm

baguette wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 pm

We almost skipped the Porsche Macan S, thinking it would be GLC like. But, what the heck, we were near a dealership and had time for test drive. No more arguments, that's what we're getting. (LOVE it.)

THANK YOU all for your help! We didn't land where we expected, and thank goodness for that. You can't plan for everything.

baguette
For 80k can't you get the turbo? Or at least a GTS 😁 And if you go the compact SUV route the fpace and X3 with the big engines are worth a test drive. You will probably still end up with the Porsche. It is like 10k over priced and probably worth every penny😁

lazydavid
Posts: 1817
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Beehave wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm
At least we're in agreement on the manual transmission. :sharebeer
There's always common ground to be found. :sharebeer The lack of a manual is the one thing I miss about my 500 lbft beast of a car.

HardHitter
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by HardHitter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 pm

I haven't kept up on the rest of the responses, but it really all depends on what you're looking for.

First and foremost, I've been looking at a 2014 E63 for my daily driver. I've driven a friends and its fairly fun based upon the limit time I've driven it. Here is the thing I've noticed though. I wanted to get a 2017 E63 based upon the upgraded interior, but saw they were $100K+ cars brand new. That is absolutely ridiculous and shows me that in 4 years, they are now half the price people paid. That is a HUGE depreciation hit if you're looking to buy a 2018 E400. I can't really comment on maintenance because I do my own work, but I rather buy the E63 because I"m a performance guy.

This is coming from a guy who drives a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver and a 911 Turbo as my second fun car. Take my opinion as is.

EDIT: Just read your latest post and seems like you're going for the Macan. Great car and choice but don't think it'll be any different cost wise on maintenance. You should look into the Mercedes GLA45 if you like the Macan.
Last edited by HardHitter on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sambb
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by sambb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 pm
I haven't kept up on the rest of the responses, but it really all depends on what you're looking for.

First and foremost, I've been looking at a 2014 E63 for my daily driver. I've driven a friends and its fairly fun based upon the limit time I've driven it. Here is the thing I've noticed though. I wanted to get a 2017 E63 based upon the upgraded interior, but saw they were $100K+ cars brand new. That is absolutely ridiculous and shows me that in 4 years, they are now half the price people paid. That is a HUGE depreciation hit if you're looking to buy a 2018 E400. I can't really comment on maintenance because I do my own work, but I rather buy the E63 because I"m a performance guy.

This is coming from a guy who drives a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver and a 911 Turbo as my second fun car. Take my opinion as is.
50% depreciation in four years is not unusual for a large number of cars of all sorts of prices.

Beehave
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by Beehave » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:32 pm
Beehave wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm
At least we're in agreement on the manual transmission. :sharebeer
There's always common ground to be found. :sharebeer The lack of a manual is the one thing I miss about my 500 lbft beast of a car.
I don't recall ever using an emoji before, but I liked the beer steins as a common ground indicator. My most recent car purchase was an automatic after many, many years of stick shifts and I miss the shifting!!! I never owned a super powerful car (I daydream emotionally about cars but act with utmost practicality regarding actual ownership), so I'm curious, if you have the time, about what you think of a Dodge Charger with manual transmission?

Alex Frakt
Founder
Posts: 10853
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by Alex Frakt » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:22 am

Just in case you change your mind, there's 5 days left on this auction on bringatrailer.com: Modified 2012 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Wagon.
The biturbo 5.5-liter V8 sends power to the rear wheels through a 7-speed AMG Speedshift automatic transmission. A Mercedes-Benz A-Service was completed in October 2017, and driveline modifications were conducted by Excelerate Performance in Branford, Connecticut. The seller states that the Kleeman Stage 3 upgrade cost $30k and increases output to 850 horsepower and 960 lb-ft of torque.
:D

Cash
Posts: 1319
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by Cash » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 am

pretykev wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:53 am
Cash wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:49 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 pm
I'd get the E400.

Having owned many fast German cars, you come to realize you can only drive so fast to work and back. A truly fast daily driver becomes an annoyance after a while because you never get out of 3rd gear.
Right, unless you're taking it to a track, it really is a waste. We were recently debating between a BMW X5 xdrive50i and an X5 M. I'm glad we got the 50i because it's a daily driver and, like you said, you can only go so fast to work and back. Frankly, even the 50 is overkill with its turbocharged V8.
Cash,
What year x5 did you purchase? I'm looking at and x5m and x5 50 as well.
We got a 2015 from Carmax with the extended warranty. The extra power/cost of the M just wouldn't be worth it for us. I have a favorite long on-ramp that I used last night...I got to punch it for a few fun seconds, but then I was in traffic with everyone else going a max of 80-85.

stoptothink
Posts: 4403
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 am

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 pm
stimulacra wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm
I adore the concept of a performance european sports wagon but 99% of people on the road will view it as a station wagon period. Seems like a high premium to pay to impress a few automotive cognoscenti.
Buying a car to impress people you don't know is a fool's errand. Who cares what everyone else thinks?
It absolutely is a fool's errand, doesn't mean that it isn't (more often than not subconsciously) a significant factor in the huge majority of car purchases.

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 5733
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by midareff » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 pm
I'd get the E400.

Having owned many fast German cars, you come to realize you can only drive so fast to work and back. A truly fast daily driver becomes an annoyance after a while because you never get out of 3rd gear.
LOL, if you don't have 500 horses you could not possibly idle and do stop and go in rush hour traffic. To do a take off on the credit card commercial, What's under your bonnet. OTOH, with a AMG C63S on order who am I to say that.... ?
Last edited by midareff on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lazydavid
Posts: 1817
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by lazydavid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 am

HardHitter wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 pm
I wanted to get a 2017 E63 based upon the upgraded interior, but saw they were $100K+ cars brand new. That is absolutely ridiculous and shows me that in 4 years, they are now half the price people paid. That is a HUGE depreciation hit if you're looking to buy a 2018 E400. I can't really comment on maintenance because I do my own work, but I rather buy the E63 because I"m a performance guy.
The depreciation hit won't be anywhere near as harsh on the E400. Nothing with a luxury badge depreciates like a Corolla, but the AMG Mercedes (and the V12-equipped non-AMGs) are in a class by themselves. If you really want a 2017, just wait three or four years, until you're past the worst part of the depreciation curve. Provided you won't then want a 2021 :)

lazydavid
Posts: 1817
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by lazydavid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 am

Beehave wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 am
I never owned a super powerful car (I daydream emotionally about cars but act with utmost practicality regarding actual ownership), so I'm curious, if you have the time, about what you think of a Dodge Charger with manual transmission?
I'll admit not having driven one. It does tick a couple of the boxes though. Big engines that love to rev and generate lots of power, hooked to one of the only 3-pedal gearboxes available in a sub-$100k full-size sport sedan. The downside is they're REALLY heavy--4400lbs for the SRT 392 manual--and handle ponderously as a result. They're also based on a very old platform--the W211 E-Class--that Mercedes themselves stopped using nearly a decade ago.

if you want something that's loud and brash, goes very fast in a straight line and has fairly good interior room, the LX cars are not a bad choice. But for about the same money, I'd take a Chevy SS with a manual. You get the 6.2L LS3 and six-speed manual from the Camaro SS, packaged in a full-size sedan with TONS of room that still manages to weigh less than 2 tons and handle decently. If you need more than 415hp, the LSA supercharger from the Caddilac CTS-V and Camaro Z28 is a simple and relatively inexpensive bolt-on. And it doesn't look all that different from an Impala or Malibu, so you can really surprise people if you want to. :)

wrongfunds
Posts: 1818
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:39 am

Are you telling us with a straight face that the P-Wagon does not have
Truck-like feel, cramped interior.
similar to the MB-Wagon?

freewaypigeon
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by freewaypigeon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:30 am

I had the EXACT same decision and took a year to look at the following:

2017 VW Golf R (could not talk the wife into it and they won't release the 18)
2018 Audi SQ5
2018 Porsche Macon and Cayenne
2017/18 Alfa Romeo Giulia (both turbo 4 and turbo 6)
2017/18 BMW 440i four door
2017/18 BMW M3
2018 C43
2017/18 E400 Wagon
2014-16 E63S Wagon
2015-18 Range Rover (I wouldn't allow it)

Long story short and I will elaborate if you like, she had a very hard time walking away from the M3. The steering in the Audi and Porsche was too numb and a non starter. She prefers feel and feedback over luxury and outright speed. We came very close to a new E400 wagon and it was probably the smart choice. Then came a low mileage 2015 E63S wagon with two years of warranty left and an option to purchase two more CPO years. The AMG wagon was a clear winner for combining the best of the E400, Audi/Porsche SUV and the M3 into one incredible package.

They're all fantastic cars and you can't go wrong but wow, that AMG wagon is such a delight.

freewaypigeon
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by freewaypigeon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am

One more item to consider is that the E63S wagon does not take near the depreciation hit that an equal mileage, year and optioned E63S four door. They are totally different prices on the market. Trust me, I was quasi tempted by the four door's prices. Where you see 78K for a nice wagon the same four door can be had for 62K.

SouthernCPA
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by SouthernCPA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Beehave wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 pm
stimulacra wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm
I adore the concept of a performance european sports wagon but 99% of people on the road will view it as a station wagon period. Seems like a high premium to pay to impress a few automotive cognoscenti.
Buying a car to impress people you don't know is a fool's errand. Who cares what everyone else thinks?
+1

If you want to take pride in a vehicle and your driving get a Corolla manual 6-speed. It'll last forever with easy maintenance and you'll be connected with your driving experience far beyond any luxo coupe or wagon.
I'm not even a car guy, but come on a corolla isn't even close to an AMG in terms of fun. I'd personally rather drive an old pickup truck so I can have more money in my boat fund and most "car guys" get on my nerves because they are usually strange, but even I know a corolla and AMG are not even close in driving experience...

Beehave
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by Beehave » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:14 pm

SouthernCPA wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:52 pm
Beehave wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 pm
stimulacra wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm
I adore the concept of a performance european sports wagon but 99% of people on the road will view it as a station wagon period. Seems like a high premium to pay to impress a few automotive cognoscenti.
Buying a car to impress people you don't know is a fool's errand. Who cares what everyone else thinks?
+1

If you want to take pride in a vehicle and your driving get a Corolla manual 6-speed. It'll last forever with easy maintenance and you'll be connected with your driving experience far beyond any luxo coupe or wagon.
I'm not even a car guy, but come on a corolla isn't even close to an AMG in terms of fun. I'd personally rather drive an old pickup truck so I can have more money in my boat fund and most "car guys" get on my nerves because they are usually strange, but even I know a corolla and AMG are not even close in driving experience...
To each her or his own. For some people driving an automatic is like sitting on a torpedo when compared to driving with a manual shift. For others the shifter is a pain and having massive horsepower is a kick.

tmcc
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by tmcc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:32 pm

jaded former AMG owner here. if OP is still reading, honestly, neither.

AMG has badly diluted their brand with all of these sub models. overall, MB customer service is terrible. both are overpriced and bland looking.

also, be prepared for worst in class residual values.

freewaypigeon
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 am

Re: Car people: 2014 E63 AMG or 2018 E400 wagon??

Post by freewaypigeon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm

tmcc wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:32 pm
jaded former AMG owner here. if OP is still reading, honestly, neither.

AMG has badly diluted their brand with all of these sub models. overall, MB customer service is terrible. both are overpriced and bland looking.

also, be prepared for worst in class residual values.
All due respect, if you find a good dealer, read: Sewell, and/or a mechanic you trust and have used, the 2014-16 AMG is in its own class and the W213 E class wagon is incredible technology, built to the nines and IMHO there is not an American import peer. And as far as diluting the AMG brand, I disagree. If you're talking about a late nineties CLK 430 with AMG wheels and a badge, sure. But a C43 or C450? Tell you what, they are legitimate. No, the engine is not handmade but the handling, brakes, performance and attention to detail are all there. I have decades behind the wheel and own domestic, Japanese and German FWIW.

Post Reply