Where to retire in Florida?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
S&L1940

Re: Where to retire in Florida?

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
1530jesup wrote:
abuss368 wrote:The west coast of Florida is beautiful.
yeah, west coast, the east coast is starting to sink and is taking on water, we need some balance
although I-95 is safer now that traffic is so jammed up...
I don't understand the joke. :?:
1) East coast = really crowded, need some relief; go west for the benefit of everyone concerned
2) I 95, really a nerve racking raceway that draws maniacal drivers, however, as things crowd up, I 95 slows down (somewhat) so that traffic crawls (somewhat) and we trade back ups traffic flows instead of reckless driving (sometimes)

ironic, sardonic, cynical, not sure if a joke was intended...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

AirTimeMD

Post by AirTimeMD » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 pm

I-4 makes I-95 look like a well behaved cute puppy dog.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:06 am

AirTimeMD wrote:I-4 makes I-95 look like a well behaved cute puppy dog.
so now we are up to bragging 'my damaged quality of life is worse than yours'?
not gonna contest that one, you win - maybe we should simply route all newcomers to the panhandle...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

2 Tasty

Post by 2 Tasty » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:48 pm

Swampy wrote:Summers here are BRUTAL and don't expect to be walking any distance during mid-day in July. The reality is you go from air-conditioned home to air-conditioned car to air-conditioned destination from May to late September. Before May and after September is when the best weather is, like the weather we are only now beginning to enjoy.
The best way to enjoy the weather you are given is to adapt to it. I grew up in Florida without air conditioning, rode bikes and drove cars in Florida (and currently southwest Arizona) without air conditioning, and can attest life is much better if you are not constantly retreating to air conditioned spaces. (And, when you choose to use air conditioning, use it sparingly and insulate well.)

I'm not saying Florida's heat is everyone's cup of tea (it isn't mine), but if you are going to make it your home you should make the most of it.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:47 am
Disappointing to hear this about Key West. First Times Square and now Key West too? I used to visit these places as a student in the 80s and they were cool because they were salty.

BFG
I'm revisiting this post as the New England winter is rearing its ugly head. I'm seriously thinking of selling my inherited over-55 condo in Boynton Beach despite the positive cash flow. And my paradise on a Venezuelan island that I purchased pre-Chavez.....well....you know about Venezuela.

So any luck finding the kind of community we were communicating about a few years ago in FL, BFG? Artsy, walkable, at least somewhat affordable, at least somewhat youthful , friendly, "Bohemian"?

I agree that Key West is a disappointment compared with the past....too crowded, expensive, overrun with tourists. But warmer than Times Square. I used to like to hang out on a funky little Key about 20 miles or so east of Key West, and only go to Key West when I wanted the restaurants, crowds and night life. I think Looe Key. Cool , rather pedestrian tiki bar....mostly fishermen and divers there...fun for a relaxing weekend but maybe not so much for months on end.

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:47 am

Have you considered Delray Beach?

It is fairly walkable, has an artsy vibe, and definitely has some bohemian/younger elements.

I would also consider the Hyde Park area of Tampa. Tampa is young, Hyde Park is walkable, still alive to be with working people.
Last edited by drummerboy on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:49 am

protagonist wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 pm
Barefootgirl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:47 am
Disappointing to hear this about Key West. First Times Square and now Key West too? I used to visit these places as a student in the 80s and they were cool because they were salty.

BFG
I'm revisiting this post as the New England winter is rearing its ugly head. I'm seriously thinking of selling my inherited over-55 condo in Boynton Beach despite the positive cash flow. And my paradise on a Venezuelan island that I purchased pre-Chavez.....well....you know about Venezuela.

So any luck finding the kind of community we were communicating about a few years ago in FL, BFG? Artsy, walkable, at least somewhat affordable, at least somewhat youthful , friendly, "Bohemian"?

I agree that Key West is a disappointment compared with the past....too crowded, expensive, overrun with tourists. But warmer than Times Square. I used to like to hang out on a funky little Key about 20 miles or so east of Key West, and only go to Key West when I wanted the restaurants, crowds and night life. I think Looe Key. Cool , rather pedestrian tiki bar....mostly fishermen and divers there...fun for a relaxing weekend but maybe not so much for months on end.
You should ask in here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/

I would start in the Sarasota sub forum.

westrichj312

Post by westrichj312 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:13 am

everyone I know swears by the Villages, largest retirement community in the world and lots of fun.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:54 pm

drummerboy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:47 am
Have you considered Delray Beach?
It is fairly walkable, has an artsy vibe, and definitely has some bohemian/younger elements.
Delray, not my town, has a great downtown tons of restaurants, shops, walk to the beach (resident passes not needed, driving, all you gotta do is find a parking space), they have a tennis center that hosts a second - or third - tier pro tournament in Feburary.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 am

Somewhat. I have a bunch of artsy, creative musician friends in the vicinity of Sarasota south to Osprey, mostly centered around Siesta Key beach and I like the vibe very much, but step outside the venues and it's back to the craziness of an expensive, "overbuilt" plastic America feel to me.....and hard to drive around in winter due to the traffic.

I will keep looking.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 am

Naples is nice albeit pricy

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:43 am

Gainesville is a decent place to retire, but not by beach. University town. As a person who grew up in FL I tend to think beaches may be a bit overrated. Most people who live there rarely actually go to be beach.

FL is very humid. I grew up with it so not a big deal but to others maybe not.

I’m not sure if I’d want to go back to FL full time when we retire. Pros and cons.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:46 am

westrichj312 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:13 am
everyone I know swears by the Villages, largest retirement community in the world and lots of fun.
Indeed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... droom/amp/

mav12

Post by mav12 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 am

Good discussion, when I visited FL about 10 yrs ago Ft Meyers area, it seemed like a tourist destination, no industries no good jobs. Does anyone have an idea of a place in FL with solid job prospects (Finance, Tech and/or healthcare), but i assume healthcare is going to be in high demand anywhere where u have retirees. Does FL publish financial stability ratings of its cities/counties? Similar to https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings, but for cities?

I'm king of hijacking the forum, sorry... I'm not looking for retirement, i'm in my 30s. Looking for civilized young culture atmosphere, not a party type.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:45 am

mav12 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 am
Good discussion, when I visited FL about 10 yrs ago Ft Meyers area, it seemed like a tourist destination, no industries no good jobs. Does anyone have an idea of a place in FL with solid job prospects (Finance, Tech and/or healthcare), but i assume healthcare is going to be in high demand anywhere where u have retirees. Does FL publish financial stability ratings of its cities/counties? Similar to https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings, but for cities?

I'm king of hijacking the forum, sorry... I'm not looking for retirement, i'm in my 30s. Looking for civilized young culture atmosphere, not a party type.
Perhaps you should start your own thread. I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically. It doesn't seem likely that you're going to get much that's responsive to your concerns in this thread devoted to the quest for a retirement destination. Perhaps a new thread, with a title something like: 30-y.o. scouting youthful, good-job locations in Florida.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 am

South Florida..,
Middle of the State,
Less Crowded,
You can get to either coast in a relatively short while.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee