Advice On A Tour From Port Canaveral To Kennedy Space Center

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Reubin

Advice On A Tour From Port Canaveral To Kennedy Space Center

Post by Reubin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 pm

We will be taking a cruise shortly that will be stopping at Port Canaveral and we are trying to figure out the best way to spend the day at the Kennedy Space Center. We have a long day there and the ship's guided tour is already sold out. Would you recommend finding a private tour operator, taking a cab or an Uber, renting a car for the day? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mavenleek

Re: Advice On A Tour From Port Canaveral To Kennedy Space Center

Post by mavenleek » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 am

I would recommend to get a UBER so you can maximize your time there instead of having to waste time renting a car. You can visit the KSP and get one of the "behind the gate" tour organized by KSC. I personally took the CAPE CANAVERAL EARLY SPACE TOUR and it was really a nice way to spend my time on Cap Canaveral and visit several historic launch pads.

Post by 123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 am

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/info ... hancements

I enjoyed a visit there some years ago. Since you've got a specific date you may want to order tickets in advance, I don't know if they sell out.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:39 am

Reubin wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 pm
We will be taking a cruise shortly that will be stopping at Port Canaveral and we are trying to figure out the best way to spend the day at the Kennedy Space Center. We have a long day there and the ship's guided tour is already sold out. Would you recommend finding a private tour operator, taking a cab or an Uber, renting a car for the day? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You might want to check www.CruiseCritic.com - and look in several paces.

First, there is the Ports of Call section, where there will be lots of feedback/info about the area, and you can post a specific query also.
Then there is the cruise line, as many people on various date cruises will be discussing this excursion, or private ones.
Finally, the Roll Call for your specific cruise. There may be others with similar questions - or with answers - and also some going on the ship's cruise for this, or those organizing private tours (for ideas, or perhaps to join in).

And TripAdvisor also tends to have good listings, but just read the reviews carefully.
We've found a few exceptional excursions/private guides on TripAdvisor.
Also... Google <WhateverYouAreLookingFor> :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm

I've sailed out of Port Canaveral and used to have an annual pass to KSC. You don't need to go with a tour operator; just take a taxi/Uber/Lyft over there. KSC does offer some special tours that you might be interested in, but the normal pass gets you access to many things: multiple static displays including a shuttle orbiter; their rocket garden, including actual-size Gemini and Apollo capsules to sit inside of (basic mockups); multiple IMAX movies; and a bus ride over to the Saturn V building (you get to ride by the VAB and a launch pad.) The Saturn V building has an actual Saturn V suspended overhead, spacesuits, and more. This is all done at your own pace and you cannot see it all in one day, so make sure to plan out your priorities beforehand.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm

123 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 am
https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/info ... hancements

I enjoyed a visit there some years ago. Since you've got a specific date you may want to order tickets in advance, I don't know if they sell out.
I think this would only be a problem if there's a launch scheduled for that day.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:41 pm

tech_arch wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm
I've sailed out of Port Canaveral and used to have an annual pass to KSC. You don't need to go with a tour operator; just take a taxi/Uber/Lyft over there. KSC does offer some special tours that you might be interested in, but the normal pass gets you access to many things: multiple static displays including a shuttle orbiter; their rocket garden, including actual-size Gemini and Apollo capsules to sit inside of (basic mockups); multiple IMAX movies; and a bus ride over to the Saturn V building (you get to ride by the VAB and a launch pad.) The Saturn V building has an actual Saturn V suspended overhead, spacesuits, and more. This is all done at your own pace and you cannot see it all in one day, so make sure to plan out your priorities beforehand.
Would you recommend buying the pass in advance or can we just get it at the gate? Is there a long line to get in that we need to avoid? We'll probably be arriving at the Space Center around 9:30 AM on a weekday. Thanks!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 pm

My brother wrote software for the space shuttle, so he arranged a VIP tour of KSC when Mom took us all on a cruise. I don't think our particular VIP tour was anything special, but we didn't have to do anything except just show up which was nice. Atlantis was visible pre-launch.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm

If you were to “call” an Uber right now (7pm EST) to take you from KSC visitor complex to the Port Canaveral terminal, it would take 4 mins to get the vehicle and cost you $28. I assume the same would have been true in the morning to get there. This sounds like a reasonable cost and you don’t need a rental vehicle once you are at the visitor center.

Enjoy!

Jamesla30

Post by Jamesla30 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 pm

My wife and I just visited KSC last month and only had a few hours and still saw quite a bit. Don't stress out about it, its super easy to enjoy without planning much.

I think its about a 20-30 min drive from your port, so you'll have to see how much a taxi or uber would cost compared to renting a car. I believe its about $10 to park for the day as well, but parking is super easy and close to the center. I have a hunch uber will be cheapest and easiest though.

You can show up and buy tickets at the gate. There won't be lines and there is a bunch of self-service machines if needed too. I don't think it will be too busy, expecially on a weekday. Basically all you need is a general admission ticket. The center is set up with most exhibits at the welcome center. Essentially an indoor/outdoor museum with many different buildings. They have VIP tours/etc but I wouldn't recommend, you don't get anything too special.

Our favorite was the Atlantis exhibit/building. There is a sort of walk through introduction/video at some of the exhibits. Just go into the building and you'll get funneled into a line. They have it set up nicely so there isn't much to worry about. Once you get through the presentation, then it is just an open museum essentially to spend as much or as little time as you would like. All of these exhibits are around the welcome center.

The other thing to do is the bus ride tour -- this is also part of general admission. The busses run every 15-30 minutes, so just show up and get on. They will do a drive around of the rest of the center going by the launch pads and huge rocket buildings. They will drop you off at another buildling where they have another presentation and the Saturn IV rocket. Once done there, just get back on bus and it will take you back to the main area.

We were there for only about 3 hours and still got through quite a bit. We obviously didn't get to spend time to see all the exhbits. If you have 7-8 hours you will be golden and not rushed.

So definitely check out Atlantis (1-2 hours), the bus tour/saturn IV (2-2.5 hours), and a few more hours for the rest of the exhibits. They also have some IMAX shows that run at specific times that would probably be pretty good. They will have the schedule or shows on brochures.

Again, just show up and enjoy, its pretty well laid out and easy to move through!

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Reubin wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:41 pm
Would you recommend buying the pass in advance or can we just get it at the gate? Is there a long line to get in that we need to avoid? We'll probably be arriving at the Space Center around 9:30 AM on a weekday. Thanks!
I haven't been there in a couple of years and never during the week. I'd suggest a quick call to them for their advice and to cross-check your visit with https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/ on the off chance there's a launch that day. I took my son to see a Delta rocket launch back when we had passes and it wasn't too crowded, but I've read SpaceX launches bring in the crowds. If there is a launch, they have bleachers by the Saturn V building that you can watch from while they pipe in the launch audio and have a guide explaining what's going on.

rob

Post by rob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Get the pass and look at the add on's... We (meaning me mostly :-) ) loved getting out to the launch pad and walking around but it added some time. Cannot help from the port as we drove from Disney but seems easy way is uber.....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Watch out for the gators.
A few years back, an alligator breezed through a set of pressure-sensitive automatic doors, into an office building at NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC). As clock punchers came in for their morning shift, they were greeted by a smug, six-foot reptile, lounging under a bench in the lobby.

But the oddest part of the encounter? At NASA HQ, this type of thing happens all the time.
https://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/gators ... sa-campus/

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:26 pm

azurekep wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 pm
Watch out for the gators.
A few years back, an alligator breezed through a set of pressure-sensitive automatic doors, into an office building at NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC). As clock punchers came in for their morning shift, they were greeted by a smug, six-foot reptile, lounging under a bench in the lobby.

But the oddest part of the encounter? At NASA HQ, this type of thing happens all the time.
https://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/gators ... sa-campus/
That's also why their chainlink fences curve outward; the gators were climbing them (or so the bus drivers tell us.)

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm a NASA employee who has been to the KSC visitor's center once. I work in Houston, where we have a pretty good visitor's center. All I can say is the KSC one is fantastic, and I wish we had it here. For add-ons, consider the "lunch with an astronaut". Having worked with astronauts for many years, you'll find generally down to earth folks with fantastic stories. Depending on your interests, you may or may not like the add-on bus tour. Personally, being that I work in that world, I would skip it. Only so much time I can spend looking at launch stands, test stands, and computers...