25 Year Old Retiring Extremely Early-Domestic Wellesley or Half Global, Half Domestic Wellesley Better for my Bonds?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
staythecourse

Re: 25 Year Old Retiring Extremely Early-Domestic Wellesley or Half Global, Half Domestic Wellesley Better for my Bonds?

Post by staythecourse » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Archimedes wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 pm
Who knows how the OP will feel in another 10 years, but he is making plans based on current circumstances and it all seems quite reasonable.
So making decisions now that will affect the future you when you admit that the current you has a good chance of changing is not important? I would say that is the BIGGEST problem with the OP plan. He/ she has not taken into account how he/ she will change over time. Only a 25 year old would assume that they will have the same wants/ needs for the next 40+ years without change.

In fact, can ANYONE who is in their 40+ age now on this board say they have the same wants/ needs as they did at 25? If yes then I will correct myself until then it is pretty common sense it is not wise to make a big decision like this without maybe accepting you don't know what you don't know.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

staythecourse

Re: 25 Year Old Retiring Extremely Early-Domestic Wellesley or Half Global, Half Domestic Wellesley Better for my Bonds?

Post by staythecourse » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:02 pm

drk wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 pm
staythecourse wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm
I know you didn't ask, but a 25 year old who lives alone and wants to retire with such little money in their name makes me question your mental health. Is there other stuff going on? I think the first thing is to address whatever is your real problems. Trust me, working up to 25 years old is not it. Maybe a mental health professional could help? Being simple is not the same as being anhedonic.

Good luck.
Are you a psychologist or psychiatrist with experience in assessment and diagnosis based on no contact with a subject? If not, please refrain from this kind of comment.
Actually, I am a physician who does a lot of mental health so yes I am pretty qualified. I am suggesting that the OP consider maybe there are other issues a play then just wanting to retire at 25 then just I worked a lot up to age 25. I may be COMPLETELY wrong, but would say there is more to the story. It doesn't matter to me, but if there is just retiring is not going to be the end all be all answer.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 pm

I find the assumptions that directly contradict things I've said interesting. Retiring at 30, not 25. Already live with partner. 25k/yr is somehow barely surviving when it is in the top 10% of all worldwide incomes. Internet retirement police saying I cannot earn another penny doing something fun, no matter how low income, not allowed. Assuming my wants have to stay the same when a 2.5% wr has lead to runaway wealth in all last situations with my equity allocation and will open up many possibilities.

I was seriously hoping for more talk about the financial side of this. That is why I posted here rather than the Mustache forums, more financial focus here was my own previous assumption. Things like questioning active vs passive, international vs domestic, these have all helped me clarify.

To all who kept to the actual questions that were clearly asked and helped keep others on point, no matter how stubborn they were or how obvious it was they did not read my questions asked, thank you.

tibbitts

Re: 25 Year Old Retiring Extremely Early

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Slowtraveler wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 am
My annual expenses are around 25k/year so I'd have a 2.5%wr, I've never heard of 1% being required no matter the age. At that rate, I could have only TIPS...
You're posting on a forum where people post topics like "I have ten million dollars and two six-figure pensions, do you think I can retire in two years and buy a new Corolla?" What did you expect?

Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I wasn't aware of how extreme the conservativism got here. I get it's a caricature but damn.

I was hoping the conservativism would help me better evaluate whether it was feasible to use Wellesley and/or its newer global variant for my bonds in my situation.

The attacks on lifestyle or 25k/ yr as somehow barely surviving honestly weren't expected. I didn't realize travelling abroad in a slowed manner to understand new cultures rather than the typical 2-6 week first class experience was so many Wheaton levels outside of their experiences. I wasn't expecting so many people to be triggered that merely living in the top 10% or a 7 figure net worth was somehow poor and starving, it is income in the realm of most doctors where I live. More than double the average teacher salary here. It is comical but I can now see how I hadn't accounted for that portion of the community. I simply thought, finance enthusiasts so they will help me better evaluate my financial plan.

To be fair, I had many responses that actually did address the questions I posted and brought up some possibilities I had not considered so I am very thankful to the community as well.

Mainly-my plan is a great start, allow for some flexibility in both expenses and my future wants, Global Wellesley is okay as well since it is managed by the (almost-I think 1 key member is different) same team as Wellesley, 2.5% wr is more than okay, as is 70/30 allocation.

And that I have to recognize the man with hammer syndrome of somebody claiming to be a doctor who attempts diagnoses without reading the details of a thread or realizing how blessed 25k/yr actually is in the majority of the world.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 pm

If you have a decent amount of family support, including financial, to fall back on, it sounds great; personally I’d go with the newer Global Wellesley fund, or just pick an allocation among three or four index funds and live with it.