Anyone have a home elevator?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
musbane

Anyone have a home elevator?

Post by musbane » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Building a house in the pnw.

letsgobobby

Re: Anyone have a home elevator?

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm

I priced one out around $30k for a new build. Didn't end up building from scratch but that was the price we saw about four years ago.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 pm

I'd suggest asking on the Gardenweb "Building a Home" forum. Answer there will be "yes". Plus you can find some existing threads.
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/building-a-home

musbane

Post by musbane » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Sorry. I somehow deleted this part.

The house will have a wheelchair accessible elevator, and I do expect to spend $30-40k.
I'm looking for brand recommendations.

Garden Web had lots of general advice, but not that.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 pm

I tried to persuade a friend building his long term home to put in an elevator. It's a three story home with garage on one floor, kitchen and living on next floor, and bedrooms on top floor. I think he's going to regret not having it as stairs are the single largest mobility factor keeping the aged from staying in their homes. Plus they have older parents who would like to visit. It would be about 5% of the cost of the home. The only reason we didn't build with an elevator is we found a single story home with no stairs, wide doorways and hallways, and a large walk in double shower. We are only in our forties but plan to live here fifty years if we are so fortunate.

I also almost bought a condo for my parents that had an elevator. It was phenomenal, almost bought it just for the elevator!

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 pm

I have one. Our current, likely to be forever home, was custom built by a homeowner builder who had a disabled child, so he made all aspects of our two story home handicapped and elderly accessible, including all light switches, appliances, cabinets, walkways, doors, bathrooms, etc. We're totally clueless about the cost of our elevator, which takes a maximum load of 900lb. We've been told that for new construction it might cost 15 to 20k, but if you added it later, 30-40k was a figure quoted to us.

We have a maintenance check-up every 2 years, at around $400. The company that manufacturers and installed our elevator, Residential Elevators, does service maintenance for us. They primarily operate in the Southeast.

We sparingly use the elevator but it was invaluable to us for a 6 month period when we had to house my then 98 years old MIL and MS afflicted BIL, in which case the elevator was used daily, as one of them had a bedroom on the 2nd floor. Some of our guests use the elevator and it's also handy for moving furniture between floors. I am so glad we have one.