Costco laminate flooring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
The529guy

Costco laminate flooring

Post by The529guy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Over the past couple years, laminate flooring from Costco has been mentioned here a few times:

- "Luxury" Vinyl vs Laminate flooring?
- Laminate flooring that looks like hardwood
- Rental flooring decision

Is anyone able to share additional recommendations for/against Harmonics laminate flooring (durability, etc.), based on personal experience?

David Jay

Re: Costco laminate flooring

Post by David Jay » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Vinyl plank has come a long way in recent years, I would strongly recommend vinyl plank over traditional laminate (and I have personally installed traditional laminate in 5 rooms of 2 different houses over the last 15-20 years).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Where are you installing the flooring?

If it is anywhere water flooding might be a problem - laundry room, bathroom, kitchen - I would absolutely go for vinyl plank (or ceramic/stone tile) over laminated flooring.

I don't know what I was thinking when I had laminate installed in the master bath and in the kitchen years ago :(

Master bath floor is now tile, and the kitchen laminate is next on the hit list.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 am

Recently installed luxury vinyl,floor in our new bathroom. It is warmer on the feet than tile.
Downstairs bathroom I had put Costco laminate flooring years ago, before luxury vinyl. Both with similar installation techniques.
Luxury vinyl is available in many different patterns. It looks good. You can also get it in thicker version. Say, 8mm instead of 4mm. To lay this on existing flooring where you may worry about telegraphing irregularities. Such as on top of tile and telegraphing the grout lines through.
I would say go with the luxury vinyl. Any place that sells it will have a display of patterns and colors. We got ours at Lowe's.
Many grocery stores, coffe shops, etc, with high traffic will have luxury vinyl flooring. Most times you will think it is wood.

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 pm

I'm not too handy, and I installed the Costco Harmonics flooring myself. My wife is happy with the look, which is what counts! However, there was a learning curve for me to get it the installation procedure down. And even then, there was the occasional very small, perhaps imperceptible (but not to this installer) of defects where pieces met with too much force (slight raising) or not enough force (tiny gaps). There were times when I felt the material could be more uniform. Again, this may be me, but could be the nature of inexpensive flooring. It's not scratch proof, but the floor has held up to our satisfaction (3 years now). This stuff is cheap enough that I bought 2 or 3 extra packs in case of future water damage. You'll need to purchase your transition pieces (for between rooms) and any special molding through Harmonics online - no big problem, just some more money. Don't be stingy with the underlayment. In the end, I don't regret the purchase. Good luck!

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 pm

I put Costco Harmonics laminate flooring in a rental condo about 5 years ago. It has held up very well. I used it in the kitchen also and haven't had any
water issues.

pilot_error

Post by pilot_error » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 pm

I put Harmonics luxury vinyl planks in two bathrooms and would recommend it as the cheap option that looks good, I find that the thicker laminate is more convincing as a quality floor in feel and acoustics. I was able to buy transitions at HomeDepot that matched the color I bought and thus avoid the purchase of any additional parts through Harmonics.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:37 pm

FYI, the customer service information on the packaging is at the same address as Mohawk, so it's easy to tell who makes it. Mohawk is one of the leading laminate manufacturers, and even bought out Pergo when the latter ran into financial trouble after the recession. Thus, durability should be on par with any other quality brand, which is to say, very good. If curious, go get a sample piece from your local home improvement store for $0.25 and attack with with various hard objects you have around your house. Costco's also thicker than the cheaper laminates (3/8" vs 1/4" or less), which provides for a better feel and sound underfoot, and the thicker joint should hold up better.

We installed it last year in the Camdem Oak pattern (recently renamed Newport Oak, I noticed). The price is good (especially the one or two times a year it seems to go on sale) and they had a pattern we liked better than what we found anywhere else.

No significant complaints, but somehow we had a few pieces shift a tiny bit while we were installing adjacent rows, creating very small (~1/16th") gaps along the short edge of a couple pieces. It's something to check in your current row and the next row over every few pieces as your installing, because once a piece is completely surrounded, it's almost impossible to close the gap up.

I think I identified only a total of 12 unique pieces. Because some of them were pretty distinctive, it was a challenge to get pieces of the same pattern far enough apart for my satisfaction, although my wife thinks I was just overthinking it. Not all the patterns are as distinctive anyways.