Simple estate planning question regarding basis step-up on jointly titled account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
walkerbait

Simple estate planning question regarding basis step-up on jointly titled account

Post by walkerbait » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 am

I have searched for an hour and can't seem to come up with the answer. This is an estate-planning question as I try to determine whether to change an account from an individual account in my name to a joint account with my spouse.

We live in a non-community property state. I understand that the way it is now, with me holding the account individually, that if I die my spouse will get a 100% step-up in basis. If she dies, I will get no step up.

If I change it to a joint account, we will each get a 50% step-up if the other dies.

Here's my question: Let's say it is a joint account, and one of us dies first, so the other assumes ownership with a 50% step-up in basis. Subsequently (months or years later) this account is inherited by our children and the value has increased again. Do they get a full step-up in basis, or will their basis be somewhere in the middle?

Specific scenario in case it's not clear: Joint brokerage account, assume no dividends reinvested for simplicity
Original Basis: $50k
Value when spouse A dies: $100k
Value when spouse B dies: $200k

Basis for child who inherits = $200k? That's my guess. But I could also see it being a basis of $150k if the Spouse A assets aren't permitted a "second" step-up.

If the beneficiary gets a full step-up to $200k in this example, does this require that Spouse B re-titled the account to an individual account after Spouse A died?

Gill

Re: Simple estate planning question regarding basis step-up on jointly titled account

Post by Gill » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 am

The surviving spouse would own the account outright and therefore a full step up at the subsequent death.
Gill

RudyS

Re: Simple estate planning question regarding basis step-up on jointly titled account

Post by RudyS » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:35 am

Gill wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 am
The surviving spouse would own the account outright and therefore a full step up at the subsequent death.
Gill
And, this may be obvious, the account should then be retitled to just the surviving spouse.

walkerbait

Post by walkerbait » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 am

All how I was thinking it would take place. Good to know for sure. Thanks!!

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 am

RudyS wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:35 am
Gill wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 am
Gill
And, this may be obvious, the account should then be retitled to just the surviving spouse.
But if this was never done, no harm, no foul.
Gill