2018 Withholding Tables

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rkhusky

2018 Withholding Tables

Post by rkhusky »

The Federal 2018 tax brackets have been released:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/n1036.pdf

edit: New link is: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/n1036--2018.pdf
Last edited by rkhusky on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshonore

IRS announces new withholding tables for 2018

Post by pshonore »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

jadd806

Re: IRS announces new withholding tables for 2018

Post by jadd806 »

Withholding has always confused me. I'm trying to stop over-paying and ending up with a huge refund.

If I plan to claim the new $12k standard deduction, I should claim 3 withholdings for a total of $12,450 withheld annually, correct?
missingdonut

Post by missingdonut »

jadd806 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pmIf I plan to claim the new $12k standard deduction, I should claim 3 withholdings for a total of $12,450 withheld annually, correct?
Single, 2. There is a small amount per week that is not subject to income tax in addition to the withholding allowances.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Interesting they dropped the supplemental income rat from 25% to 22% for stuff under $1M.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge »

I'm maxing my 403b and traditional IRA, standard deduction, starting in the 22% bracket and I'll end up in the 12%, 3 federal 1 state (MA). It's deducting 90% of what I project I'll be paying in taxes, so I'll end up owing a little bit, in theory. Maybe not though if I squeeze out a credit or two.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

jadd806 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pm If I plan to claim the new $12k standard deduction, I should claim 3 withholdings for a total of $12,450 withheld annually, correct?
You should not use any additional allowances to get the effect of the standard deduction. The standard deduction is taken into account by the IRS when it calculates the withholding tables.

In my case, the 2018 withholding amount for the year is about $300 more than the 2018 income tax will be (on my income subject to withholding). That is without using any additional withholding allowances and with using the standard deduction when calculating the income tax for the year.

[edit: Deleted final paragraph.]
Last edited by FactualFran on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethelred

Post by Ethelred »

For comparison, the 2017 tables are in Publication 15, here:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

I'm going to wait until the IRS and maybe some third party websites publish updated withholding calculators. If I overpay the first few months of 2018 that is OK.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

We had significant itemized deductions before, but we're pretty sure we will be taking the standard deduction in 2018. I'm guessing I'm at risk of withholding too little. Need to look at this, thanks for the reminder...
engineer1969

Post by engineer1969 »

Ice-9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm We had significant itemized deductions before, but we're pretty sure we will be taking the standard deduction in 2018. I'm guessing I'm at risk of withholding too little. Need to look at this, thanks for the reminder...
I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised. It will be worth the exercise of estimating your taxes.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

IRS Withholding Tables Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why are these changes being made?
A: The new withholding tables are needed to reflect the changes in tax rates and tax brackets, increased standard deduction and repeal of personal exemptions that were included in the new tax reform law signed in December. The withholding guidance issued today is for employers to make changes to their payroll systems and is designed to work with existing W-4s that employees have on file.

Q: How soon will people see the changes in their paychecks?
A: Employees should begin to see withholding changes in their checks in February. The exact timing depends on when their employer can make the change and how often they are paid. It typically takes payroll providers and employers about a month to update withholding changes on their systems.

Q: Will employees need to take any action to get the new withholding rates?
A: No. Payroll changes required each year are made by employers and their payroll providers, so employees are not required to take any extra steps. However, employees should review their withholding to make sure that it is accurate. IRS will be releasing a new calculator and Form W-4 soon, to help employees ensure withholding is accurate.

Q: What is a withholding table?
A: A withholding table shows payroll service providers and employers how much tax to withhold from employee paychecks, given each employee’s wages, marital status, and the number of withholding allowances they claim.

Q: What is a Form W-4?
A: This is an IRS form that employees provide to their employers, to determine the amount of federal income tax to withhold from the employees’ paychecks. The form helps employees adjust withholding based on their personal circumstances, such as whether they have children or a spouse who is also working. The IRS always recommends employees check their withholding any time their personal or financial information changes.

Q: Will people need to fill out a new W-4 form right now?
A: No, the new withholding tables are designed to minimize taxpayer burden as much as possible and will work with the Forms W-4 that workers have already filed with their employers to claim withholding allowances. The IRS is working on revising the Form W-4 to more fully reflect the new law and provide taxpayers information to determine whether they need to adjust their withholding.

Q: Is the IRS working on a new Form W-4 to reflect the new tax law?
A: Yes. The IRS continues to work on more detailed withholding information, which will be available soon in Publication 15 and related publications. In addition, the IRS is working on revising the Form W-4 to more fully reflect the new law and providing taxpayers information to determine whether they need to adjust their withholding. The IRS is also revising the withholding tax calculator on IRS.gov to help employees who wish to update their withholding in response to the new law or other changes in their personal circumstances in 2018. The IRS anticipates this calculator should be available by the end of February.

Q: Should people check their withholding after the new 2018 Form W-4 and the withholding calculator are available?
A: Yes. It’s always a good idea for people to check their withholding status. The IRS encourages all taxpayers to check their withholding when the new information is available in February. The IRS will help educate taxpayers about the new withholding guidelines and the calculator. The effort will be designed to help workers ensure that they are not having too much or too little tax taken out of their pay.

Q: Are some taxpayers at risk of being under-withheld on their taxes with the changes to the withholding tables?
A: Some people have more complicated tax situations and face the possibility of being under-withheld. For example, people who itemize their deductions, couples with multiple jobs or individuals with more than one job a year will be encouraged to review their tax situations. The IRS will be encouraging people – particularly those with more than one income in their household—to check their withholding. The IRS is updating the 2018 Form W-4 and the IRS.gov withholding calculator to help with this process.

Q: Are many people under-withheld on their taxes?
A: Most people are over-withheld on their taxes, meaning that more taxes are held out of their paychecks than what they owe.

Q: Will the IRS be making further changes to Form W-4 in 2019?
A: In 2019, the IRS anticipates making further changes involving withholding. The IRS will work with the business and payroll community to encourage workers to file new Forms W-4 next year and share information on changes in the new tax law that impact withholding.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

I've historically entered whatever number of allowances (is that the term? I forget) that the form directs me to, then I've added $1,000 per month withholding, and that's usually gotten me to where I only owe a few grand. If I understand this correctly, my employer is going to keep my current W-4 exactly as it is, but the allowances (term?) will be adjusted based on the updated chart. Is that right? So I need to redo this thing from scratch to make sure the witholding doesn't get too far? It's been a few years since I looked at this closely.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

missingdonut wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:31 pm
jadd806 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pmIf I plan to claim the new $12k standard deduction, I should claim 3 withholdings for a total of $12,450 withheld annually, correct?
Single, 2. There is a small amount per week that is not subject to income tax in addition to the withholding allowances.
Yes, with Single 2, 2*4150 + 3700 = 12000 gets "deducted" in the withholding tables, same as the standard deduction.

Same thing with Married 3: 3*4150 + 11,550 = 24000, same as the standard deduction.

This assumes no other income, no credits, etc. If that assumption is not true, one may need to adjust allowances.
PFInterest

Re: 2018 Withholding Tables

Post by PFInterest »

thanks.
ray.james

Re: 2018 Withholding Tables

Post by ray.james »

When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged pshonore's thread into here. The software sorts by time, rkhusky was first.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mikep

Post by mikep »

Does this take into account the increased child tax credit?
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

mikep wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 pm Does this take into account the increased child tax credit?
A W-4 accounts for the child tax credit on line G of Personal Allowance Worksheet. The worksheet is not given to or used by the employer, so if you want to adjust withholding to take account of increased child tax credit you are going to need to do a new W-4. AFAIK the 2018 W-4 that reflects the changes is not yet available.

If they included the child tax credit in the withholding tables people with a different number of children would be mis-withheld.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

mikep wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 pm Does this take into account the increased child tax credit?
The withholding tables themselves do not.

From the draft version of the W-4, 2018 Form W-4 - fw4--dft.pdf, it appears that will attempt to use the CTC (and others) to guide one to the correct number of allowances.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

An option for some to cut through the unknowns is to calculate their tax burden under the new law, set exemptions ridiculously high to make withholding 0 and enter in the additional amount to withhold per pay period on the next line based upon total due / pay periods in the year after accounting for the withholdings taken in 2018 prior to making the change.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

I expect the IRS to have a certain amount of leniency if you follow the instructions on a new W-4 and end up under-withheld. If you estimate your taxes in some other way not-so-much. (There is precedent for this other times the withholding instructions have changed).
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Change your W4 or not. Check the actual withholding in two or three months to see if you are on track to meet your estimated 2018 tax safe harbor. Change the W4 again if you need to revise it. I changed mine already and will reevaluate it in 6 or 7 months when I have a better estimate of total annual income for 2018.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

FullYellowJacket wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 pm I'm going to wait until the IRS and maybe some third party websites publish updated withholding calculators. If I overpay the first few months of 2018 that is OK.
One was published at 2018 Withholding allowances.

Direct link is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B45krB ... sp=sharing
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

FiveK wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 pm

From the draft version of the W-4, 2018 Form W-4 - fw4--dft.pdf, it appears that will attempt to use the CTC (and others) to guide one to the correct number of allowances.
That draft precedes the new tax law, so it's not useful in planning things for this year. (For example, it refers to exemptions for dependents, which no longer exist.)
Wiki David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The withholding tables are designed so that a single person claiming 2 allowances, or married couple claiming 3, with no income other that wages from one job, and no other income or tax credits, taking the standard deduction, will have exactly the right amount withheld. This was retained in the new tables for married couples; with 3 allowances (worth $12,450) and a $24,000 standard deduction, the first $11,550 of wages are not taxed, and then taxation starts at 10%.
Wiki David Grabiner
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

grabiner wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 pm
FiveK wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 pm

That draft precedes the new tax law, so it's not useful in planning things for this year. (For example, it refers to exemptions for dependents, which no longer exist.)
It also has Xs instead of numbers, making it particularly unusable. :wink:

Presumably the final version will both take into account the increased child tax credit and have numbers instead of Xs. :)
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

FiveK wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:03 pm
Presumably the final version will both take into account the increased child tax credit and have numbers instead of Xs. :)
Maybe they'll add some Ms and Is and Vs.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Epsilon Delta wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 pm Maybe they'll add some Ms and Is and Vs.
Ah, yes, the MMXVIII edition.
oldcomputerguy

New IRS withholding guidance

Post by oldcomputerguy »

[merged into existing thread - moderator prudent]

For those (like me) who like to double-check withholding calculations for planning purposes, the IRS has released Percentage Method Tables for tax withholding calculation for 2018.

This document includes new bracket calculation tables for the various filing categories, as well as new amounts for withholding allowances for 2018.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
annielouise

Post by annielouise »

I was surprised how quickly they released these. Plugged in our numbers and compared them to our new taxes and they look good. Just sticking with our current W4 ( MFJ, 2 exemptions , +$100) gets us just a little bit over what we will owe. The 22% on bonus money makes it easier too.
nolesrule

Post by nolesrule »

We were doing M0 + an extra $110 on my paychecks. We're going to need to add another ~$2000 total to additional withholding. And this is based on no raises or bonuses, which will fall marginally 2% short of enough withholding.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

annielouise wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am I was surprised how quickly they released these. Plugged in our numbers and compared them to our new taxes and they look good. Just sticking with our current W4 ( MFJ, 2 exemptions , +$100) gets us just a little bit over what we will owe. The 22% on bonus money makes it easier too.
Same here. Based on my (ahem) Excel skills, with no changes to DW's W-4, our withholding will end up totalling about $500 over our final tax liability, vs about $600 for TY2017. So no changes contemplated.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc »

I have always filed '1' withholding, but I just bumped it up to '2' (single). Something I have been thinking about for a long time, as usually I get a $2-3K refund and I've been trying to titrate it so I end up owing a few bucks.
I'm not looking to get rich quick (stocks), I'm not looking to get rich slow (indexing), I'm looking to get rich, for sure (real estate) | Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate.. and wait.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Honestly, I'm planning to use the same method I've done the past couple years. I change nothing on my W4 until I do my taxes. Then I take last year's tax owed, subtract whatever has already been withheld from my paychecks, and divide by the remaining number of paychecks for the year. I then mark 10 exemptions or some other really high amount and put the result of the above calculation as additional withholding.

This works for me because my income is generally stable from year to year and by meeting last year's minimum, I meet the Safe Harbor requirement to avoid any penalties.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Ice-9 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm We had significant itemized deductions before, but we're pretty sure we will be taking the standard deduction in 2018. I'm guessing I'm at risk of withholding too little. Need to look at this, thanks for the reminder...
I'm waiting for the the new w-4 calculator as I am losing 8k in deductions to the SALT limits and claim 7 allowances for 3 people.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

wfrobinette wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm
I'm waiting for the the new w-4 calculator as I am losing 8k in deductions to the SALT limits and claim 7 allowances for 3 people.
The one linked in this post seems good for our situation, but it's not the IRS version.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm Honestly, I'm planning to use the same method I've done the past couple years. I change nothing on my W4 until I do my taxes. Then I take last year's tax owed, subtract whatever has already been withheld from my paychecks, and divide by the remaining number of paychecks for the year. I then mark 10 exemptions or some other really high amount and put the result of the above calculation as additional withholding.

This works for me because my income is generally stable from year to year and by meeting last year's minimum, I meet the Safe Harbor requirement to avoid any penalties.
That may not be a good idea this year because your 2018 taxes will be very different from your 2017 taxes. If you choose to withhold as much in 2018 as you paid in 2017, you may get a big refund.

(Conversely, if you claim the same number of allowances in 2018 as you had in 2017, you may get either a big tax bill or a big refund, depending on what happens with your deductions and credits; you should file a new W-4 when the form and worksheets come out.)
Wiki David Grabiner
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

grabiner wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm
That may not be a good idea this year because your 2018 taxes will be very different from your 2017 taxes. If you choose to withhold as much in 2018 as you paid in 2017, you may get a big refund.
In 2018, I only have $150 of carryover losses left, so I’ll have roughly $3k more income at least, so it will all probably balance out for in my case.

Had the carryover not applied before or I had enough to roll to 2019, I imagine I would have to sit down and revisit the numbers. The estimaters I used in late December showed roughly the same tax due or a slight increase based on being single at my income level. But some of the various estimators were also wildly different, so I didn’t put too much faith in them.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I plan to use the new charts to calculate my taxes for 2018 after I receive my February pension check. I plan to calculate my taxes so that I owe a small amount. If someone files a fraudulent tax return and receives a refund using my identity, that would be an IRS problem. This scenario would probably be a pita for me in any case, but it would not be a financial crisis.

DMW
darkhorse346

Post by darkhorse346 »

At the time of this post, the IRS has taken down the withholding tables from their site.

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

darkhorse346 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:00 am At the time of this post, the IRS has taken down the withholding tables from their site.

Not sure what you mean--they're still on the IRS site as of when I'm typing this post, as is the press release announcing them:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/news-relea ... rent-month
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

deskjockey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:20 am
darkhorse346 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:00 am At the time of this post, the IRS has taken down the withholding tables from their site.

Not sure what you mean--they're still on the IRS site as of when I'm typing this post, as is the press release announcing them:

The pdf is not available
pfrank

Post by pfrank »

leftcoaster wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 am
deskjockey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:20 am

The pdf is not available
Use this link instead: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/n1036--2018.pdf
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

I believe the IRS has warned that the tables may not be accurate and it will be up to employees to double-check the math. The way to double-check the math, does not yet exist, but perhaps it will in the near future.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Artsdoctor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 am I believe the IRS has warned that the tables may not be accurate and it will be up to employees to double-check the math. The way to double-check the math, does not yet exist, but perhaps it will in the near future.

Paywall blocked the linked article, but one might suspect
- the tables are accurate. In other words, if one declares a filing status and a certain number of W-4 allowances, the amount withheld will be what the tables suggest.
- the number of allowances one needs to declare under the 2018 tax law may differ from the number one needed to declare under 2017 law, in order to achieve the same tax due or refund when filing.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

FiveK wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 am
Artsdoctor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 am I believe the IRS has warned that the tables may not be accurate and it will be up to employees to double-check the math. The way to double-check the math, does not yet exist, but perhaps it will in the near future.

Paywall blocked the linked article, but one might suspect
- the tables are accurate. In other words, if one declares a filing status and a certain number of W-4 allowances, the amount withheld will be what the tables suggest.
- the number of allowances one needs to declare under the 2018 tax law may differ from the number one needed to declare under 2017 law, in order to achieve the same tax due or refund when filing.
I can read the article, and confirmed this. What follows is not from the article but my own explanation.

Taxpayers who itemized deductions in 2017 will be underwithheld in 2018 if they use the old withholding allowances. A married couple which had $24,850 in itemized deductions in 2017 should have claimed three extra withholding allowances, since the W-4 worksheet gave the correct withholding for the $12,700 standard deduction. In 2018, this couple will probably take the standard deduction and needs three fewer withholding allowances; without the adjustment, the couple will have a tax bill equivalent to the tax on the $12,450 which is three 2018 allowances. (This might even be enough to cause a penalty for underwithholding.)

Taxpayers in low tax brackets who claim the child tax credit will be overwithheld in 2018 if they do not change their withholding. In the 12% bracket, one withholding allowance results in a tax reduction of 12% of $4150, which is $498. The correct tax reduction is $1000 (the 2018 increase in the child tax credit), which should be two withholding allowances. In the 24% bracket, this happens not to be a problem; one allowance results in $996 less withheld, and the tax credit is $1000.

The new W-4 worksheet should adjust for these things. The worksheet for itemized deductions does not need to change, but will need to be recalculated, as you claim allowances based on how much your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction. The child tax credit would be handled by eliminating the adjustment for dependents, and changing the line for the credit: "If your income is less than $XX,XXX, add 2 for each child for whom you will claim the child tax credit, and 1 for every two other dependents. If your income is between $XX,XXX and $YYY,YYY, add 1 for each child, and 1 for every four other dependents."
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

pfrank wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 am Use this link instead: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/n1036--2018.pdf
New file size is quite a bit smaller, but seems to have the same info.
adamsapple19

Post by adamsapple19 »

Per the below, a single person (in a simple one-job/nothing special situation) would need to update their current W4 withholdings (from 1) to 2 per the below?

"...filers with no dependents, only one wage income, standard deduction, and no other income, credits, etc., filing "Single with 2 Allowances" or "Married with 3 Allowances" (as applicable) will withhold exactly the amount of federal tax due." - From: MMM

I've been operating under the assumption a single person would claim just one, per the below from Investopedia:

"You can claim one allowance for yourself, one for your spouse and one for each of your dependents."

So, effective this year (for 2019 tax filings) every "single person/nothing special" situation person would need to adjust their withholdings to 2 from 1 to stay on par from previous years as a result of the tax changes and subsequent IRS withholding modification? Or, am I missing something?
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

adamsapple19 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm So, effective this year (for 2019 tax filings) every "single person/nothing special" situation person would need to adjust their withholdings to 2 from 1 to stay on par from previous years as a result of the tax changes and subsequent IRS withholding modification?
Edit: The "single person/nothing special" situation remains filing 2 allowances on a 2018 W-4, the same as for a 2017 W-4.
Last edited by FiveK on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.