What journalism are you currently reading?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ZeroWealth

What journalism are you currently reading?

Post by ZeroWealth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 pm

In the same vein as the popular “What are you currently reading?” thread, what newspapers, magazines and other journalistic publications are you consuming on a regular basis?

For my daily catch-up, I have The Economist Espresso app on my phone, along with The New Yorker Today app. For news, it’s NYTimes, Washington Post and The Guardian, and for longer form pieces, The Atlantic, The New Yorker, and The Economist.

How about you?

As part of a family of cord cutters, I’m spending a lot more of my time reading again, and I’ve found so much more pleasure in diving into truly great journalism than listening to three minute sound bites and talking heads.
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams

TinyTim

Re: What journalism are you currently reading?

Post by TinyTim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 am

I don't listen to news on radio or watch on TV, not for snobbish reasons, but because I am not in control of the content. I prefer to read where I have a choice. I subscribe to a local newspaper with a plentiful selection of human-interest articles. Also I have an online subscription to NY Times; read the WSJ in the library, and a few other journalistic pieces. I like book-length journalism--if that's a useful name for it--and have recently been reading Peter Schuck's excellent book One Nation Undecided: Clear Thinking About Five Hard Issues That Divide Us (Princeton University Press, 2017)

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 am

New York Times, Washington Post, and the Seattle Times.

Last year I took a nearly eight month break from all news media. It was great and peaceful and I may do it again soon.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:33 am

Currently taking a break from news media (reading Anna Karenina instead). Once I finish with Anna and Vronsky, I’m sure I’ll go back to the NY Times and Voice of San Diego.

The best in depth news reporting about California comes from a column the the NY Times puts out, believe it or not.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 am

I've been visiting some of the Reddit sites. There's a Reddit group for everything -- technology, music, politics, life hacks, whatever...

The r/politics group of Reddit compiles the main news stories of interest. It's comfort food on bad news days. Misery loves company.

Some days it's too painful to read the news, so I'll stick with The Palmer Report. It's sly fun, and the speculative putting of dots together. The guy has an extremely entertaining way of writilng; and manages to put what seems to be bad news in a positive light. If only his articles were true... :P

For regular news sites, it's The Hill, Politico, The Guaridan, NYT, WaPo.

I've been thinking of taking a look at some of the Canadian newspapers. For purposes of relief, it might be interesting to see what Justin Trudeau is up to.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 am

Great question. I have just about given up on mainstream media reporting due to articles/reporting being written by what appears to be 5th grade hacks spewing political agenda from all sides.

My follow up question is, what source/publications do you find to be the most objective and simply fact reporting?

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 am

Most days I will usually skim google news, and drill into stories that catch my eye. I also enjoy reading ZeroHedge.com or on my RSS feed....occasionally very smart economic and financial insights, with a usual dose of sarcasm.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:24 am

Reuters only for non-financial news.

Bloomberg for financial and I have some sick addiction to checking Yahoo Finance, for whatever reason :)

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 am

Local newspaper, WSJ, BBC and Drudge are always skimmed for articles of interest. I sometimes check local TV news but never watch national news because they have lost all objectivity and are obsessed with their own agendas. I am 73 and remember the days when national news media had serious journalists and whatever Walter Cronkite said was considered gospel by the American people. Those days are long gone.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 am

allsides.com
nytimes.com
foxnews.com
npr.org
bbc.com
latimes.com
reuters.com
et al.

That's with "journalism" defined loosely. BBC seems most apolitical to me.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 am

The Houston Chronicle
The New York Times
The New Yorker

Stopped reading WSJ when Murdoch bought ‘em.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:49 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 am
That's with "journalism" defined loosely. BBC seems most apolitical to me.
+1. I spent my working career working alongside television news operations, and it saddens me to see how the landscape has changed from the days of Walter Cronkite and Huntley/Brinkley. These days, the BBC seems currently to be the most "neutral" when reporting on what's happening here in the U.S.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:09 am

I find journalism a waste of my time. I'd rather read math books.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion