Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
KlangFool

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm
Folks,

2017 will be the first year that my portfolio growth matched my gross income. All I need is 2 more years like this.

KlangFool
I sincerely congratulate you for your success, and thank you for your contributions to this forum.
Thanks.

KlangFool

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Wow, congratulations to everyone reaching a milestone! I am beginning to like this omnibus thread! Keep all those reports coming, I will continue to read ALL of them. Good luck with your investments, and thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 pm

A humble BH here who needs some encouragement. I just hit $100,000 in net worth today! Not that much, but it was all done in less than 6 years (including periods of financial education). Started all the way from a near $0 net worth.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 pm
Kudos to all who have and continue to reach their financial milestones. It is interesting as we (wife and I) hit each one in our lives I am disappointed I am not more excited. I remember the first one getting revved up for a couple weeks before in anticipation and thinking about it for weeks later. Now, I barely think about it.

I sort of wish I was still impressed when I hit the milestones, but just feels a bit unfilled. Think, I have realized financial milestones don't really impact my life happiness.

Must be an outlier and great to see it means so much to others.

Good luck.
You're not alone.
Sold another "thing". Put the proceeds in a short term cd, to give me time to think. CD matured yesterday. Didn't buy another R/E "thing". The Bogle path is great.

Put the funds in VWIUX, Intermediate Term Tax Exempt for rebalancing. "As per Bogle advice. . . :D

DW and have always been frugal and live simply. Things that bring us happiness and peace don't cost much. A peaceful and secure retirement is more than enough.

True?

But I do get an extraordinary vicarious thrill out of seeing everyone else reach their milestones!!!! :D :D
Mahalo,
j :D "fellow outlier".

PS: milestone is that my portfolio rounded up a "digit". :D :D :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 pm
A humble BH here who needs some encouragement. I just hit $100,000 in net worth today! Not that much, but it was all done in less than 6 years (including periods of financial education). Started all the way from a near $0 net worth.
6 years is quick to accumulate that much in today's high cost world.
It ain't easy.
Congratulations.
:sharebeer

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 pm
6 years is quick to accumulate that much in today's high cost world.
It ain't easy.
Congratulations.
Thank you! :happy :beer
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 pm

David Jay wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 pm
My end-of-the-year Net Worth accounting shows that we joined the two comma club for the first time. That is total net worth, our retirement accounts are about $750,000, remainder is home equity.

Age 61, never had a year with family income above 5 digits, so you can be financially independent on a moderate income. Expect to retire early (62) within about 15 months.
2 comma's ain't easy. Also did it on a somewhat low income the majority of years. Took forever and ever and ever.
Congratulations!
And thanks for the expert advice.
mahalo,
j :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:14 pm

chicagoan23 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm
This will be a very fun thread.....congrats to all.

We hit $2 million in assets last week for the first time. Subtract out the mortgage and a very low-rate student loan that I have no intention of paying off early, and our net worth hit $1.75 million for the first time. Financially secure, although not financially independent yet (at ages 42/39).
You've come a long way very quickly.
Congratulations!
:D :sharebeer

market timer

Post by market timer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 am

Snowjob wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am
I wonder what Market Timer is up to these days. He and I were experimenting with (dying from??) leverage on the way down in 2008 and are near the same age as far as I can tell. Interesting to see his change in philosophy over time when it comes to money, work, spending the portfolio etc.
Sounds like you benefited from the post-crash recovery, but had slow career growth. My path was basically the opposite. The crash wiped me out, but my career has gone pretty well.

DW and I are essentially financially independent now. I'm more concerned with preservation of long term buying power than investment growth, so have a fairly high allocation to crude oil, gold, and TIPS. At one point I'd planned to retire early, but am now more interested in having a good work/life balance. If I could get 8 weeks of vacation a year and spend some time working in a few different countries, I'd probably be fine working until normal retirement age.

No major financial milestones this year. However, I had a daughter and my son started preschool. Life is good.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:24 am

My milestone is that after one year of retirement, I realized that my pensions and SS (net of tax and IRMAA) will cover my needs with quite a bit of travel without touching my savings. I worked till 73 and was able to go overseas four to five times a year for 20 years as well as give a lot of money to a non-deductible charitable cause in my country of origin. My savings are for medical emergencies.
Last edited by Lynette on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

katzmandu

Post by katzmandu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:32 am

Passed the 1/2 way mark (500k) in total invested assets on the first of the year. Still a ways to go, but an agreeable market and application of all the good advice on this site (and others) paved the way. Hope the 2 comma club will come quickly on this side of the divide.

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am

Just used $30,000 of appreciated stock to set up a Donor Advised Fund. While not much to some people, it feels good to be in a position to start giving back to others. Hopefully it is just a start to being able to do more for others.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 pm

We hit 2.6 million (nice round number) as of market close yesterday, home equity is just a small bit at 145k or so.

Still mid 40s so not ready to retire yet.

Best part is knowing we have freedom to not sweat the expenses and small indulgences.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:33 am

flyingaway wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 am
Ha ha, good timing as we just did our annual net worth update. We hit our "number" this year. Yay us. But our most significant milestone for 2017 and the one we're most proud of was giving away more than we spent. I hope that will continue for many years.

And since I'm putting up the second post in this thread, I just wanted to say congratulations in advance to all who reached a big milestone. Celebrate them. They really are noteworthy accomplishments. I'm proud of you.
Are you serious? I though you hit(ted) your number some years ago.
It's all a little squishy (our most valuable asset is not only extremely illiquid but also difficult to value), but certainly not prior to 2017. Not sure what you're referring to about us hitting our number years ago. We weren't even in the 7 figure club 5 years ago counting everything (home equity etc).
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

dirtlaw

Post by dirtlaw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 am

Student loans paid off as of 1/10/18! Next, the HELOC.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:33 am
flyingaway wrote:
Ha ha, good timing as we just did our annual net worth update. We hit our "number" this year. Yay us. But our most significant milestone for 2017 and the one we're most proud of was giving away more than we spent. I hope that will continue for many years.

And since I'm putting up the second post in this thread, I just wanted to say congratulations in advance to all who reached a big milestone. Celebrate them. They really are noteworthy accomplishments. I'm proud of you.
It's all a little squishy (our most valuable asset is not only extremely illiquid but also difficult to value), but certainly not prior to 2017. Not sure what you're referring to about us hitting our number years ago. We weren't even in the 7 figure club 5 years ago counting everything (home equity etc).
I read your posts about MMM some time ago, I thought you just moved your bar higher.

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 pm

market timer wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 am
Snowjob wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am
I wonder what Market Timer is up to these days. He and I were experimenting with (dying from??) leverage on the way down in 2008 and are near the same age as far as I can tell. Interesting to see his change in philosophy over time when it comes to money, work, spending the portfolio etc.
Sounds like you benefited from the post-crash recovery, but had slow career growth. My path was basically the opposite. The crash wiped me out, but my career has gone pretty well.

DW and I are essentially financially independent now. I'm more concerned with preservation of long term buying power than investment growth, so have a fairly high allocation to crude oil, gold, and TIPS. At one point I'd planned to retire early, but am now more interested in having a good work/life balance. If I could get 8 weeks of vacation a year and spend some time working in a few different countries, I'd probably be fine working until normal retirement age.

No major financial milestones this year. However, I had a daughter and my son started preschool. Life is good.
That is a very fair assessment of our divergent paths -- Were I to have a substantially larger portfolio or income I'd probably have transitioned my philosophy to protecting purchasing power as you have. As it stands now, I'm still looking for more growth =) Optimizing work life balance has also been a priority for me the last few years. I've finally gotten a boost in regular vacation time and now have the option to buy a week. After my first 8 years at 2 weeks a year, I now sit at 5. I used to dream of early retirement simply because I felt I was missing out on so many experiences. With the extra vacation time and a willingness to pull allnighters its amazing how many trips you can squeeze into a year if you plan it right.

Lyonsguy

Post by Lyonsguy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Paid off mortgage this year. Net worth just beat $700,000. Wife finishing masters degree in nursing this year (August). Age 38/36.

buckstar

Post by buckstar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Years ago, when our net worth was still negative, I set a goal of financial independence being $3.5M, or $140,000/yr at 4% withdrawal rate. Well we hit that number last week!

Unfortunately, what I didn't realize all those years ago is that the goal should have been $3.5M in investable assets, not NW. And that I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 4% withdrawal rate, but instead will focus on a reaching enough to support a 3.5% withdrawal rate.

So while we've still reached $3.5M in net worth, we're still some years off from financial independence :oops:

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 pm

buckstar wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:10 pm
Years ago, when our net worth was still negative, I set a goal of financial independence being $3.5M, or $140,000/yr at 4% withdrawal rate. Well we hit that number last week!

Unfortunately, what I didn't realize all those years ago is that the goal should have been $3.5M in investable assets, not NW. And that I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 4% withdrawal rate, but instead will focus on a reaching enough to support a 3.5% withdrawal rate.

So while we've still reached $3.5M in net worth, we're still some years off from financial independence :oops:
Great job.
$3.5 in any form is not "pocket change". And, coming from less than nothing ain't easy. :shock:

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 pm

I am broke.

Thats my story, and I am sticking to it!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 am

I just passed the 20-years-in-retirement mark in Dec. and am still able to enjoy the good life (no dog food on the menu in the foreseeable future).

Busier now than when I ran my business. And the business I founded just celebrated its 50th birthday while also celebrating the 20-year mark under the leadership of my two sons, who took over after my early retirement.

Life is good!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

travellight

Post by travellight » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 am

Just hit the two comma club in my 401k, and by 25k! This has been a long slow road.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 am

Just looked at H’s Roth IRA statement recently and realized it had more than doubled since we put the funds in with no further funds from us — invested and held. It made me smile and will be a happy surprise for H as well. :)

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

travellight wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 am
Just hit the two comma club in my 401k, and by 25k! This has been a long slow road.
If you don’t mind me asking: how old are you? When did you start? Have you always been in a position to max it out?

I’ve been frustrate lately with my 401k... I’m finally now (at age 40) have the ability to max out but it’s the first time in my career I’ve been able to do so.

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 am

I had a milestone of sort, yesterday I held a family business meeting with adult children for the first time. We discussed assets, income, taxes, gifting, inheritances, careers, social aspects and preparing the younger generation for increased responsibility.

billthecat

Post by billthecat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am

I reached my minimum goal of $2.4M, roughly:

$1M in stocks, bonds, cash, alternative
$1M in net liquidated rental real estate equity
$400K in net liquidated home equity

Technically, I could stop now. After all, I’m only supporting myself. :( But it’s not allocated the way I want, and, yeah, I want a bit of a buffer.

I’ve lost a lot of money in various investments over the last 18 years (about $700K) but my one saving grace has been in investing in myself - my education, career, and drive. My drive has waned over the years, though, partly due to age and partly due to the realization that the original vision of a (loving, supportive, encouraging, devoted) wife, kids, and white picket fence is not going to happen (and so I need a lot less).

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:33 am
flyingaway wrote:

I read your posts about MMM some time ago, I thought you just moved your bar higher.
We did. And hit it. We think. It still comes down to that illiquid asset. But even valuing it at 1/2 what I've been offered for it gets us to our number, so we're there I guess. We've been living like we were there for a year or two already anyway.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 am

All good comments, but I have no milestones to announce, I will let you know when I call it a day and move my nice collection of slow moving ETFs and fast moving Mutual Funds to the Target Retirement Income Fund, this fund is the final destination for all my accounts, this is the one I have listed in my letter of instruction to be executed at the expiration of my birth certificate. Good luck reaching your investment goals, and thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:15 am

MrNewEngland wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am
travellight wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 am
If you don’t mind me asking: how old are you? When did you start? Have you always been in a position to max it out?

I’ve been frustrate lately with my 401k... I’m finally now (at age 40) have the ability to max out but it’s the first time in my career I’ve been able to do so.
I think I started at the age of 30 when real work with real salary began. I spent my 20s studying and getting ahead. I think I maxed it out every year but seems to me it used to be only 2k back in those years so this has been so slow. I am 56 now and it feels incredible to pass that 2 comma mark in that category. I feel like I made money much faster in real estate. 40 seems so young and yet it also feels like yesterday. You will be there before you know it in a time warp way.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 am
I just passed the 20-years-in-retirement mark in Dec. and am still able to enjoy the good life (no dog food on the menu in the foreseeable future).

Busier now than when I ran my business. And the business I founded just celebrated its 50th birthday while also celebrating the 20-year mark under the leadership of my two sons, who took over after my early retirement.

Life is good!
Congratulations!

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 pm
Toons wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm
To quote Bob Brinker,
My spouse and I are in the ,
"Land Of Critical Mass",and have been so for quite a while.
Keeping debt to a bare minimum,investing frequently(reinvesting)got us there.
Count Our Blessings Every Day.
:happy
If you will. . . what is the "Land of Critical Mass"?
Never heard that before. . .

mahalo,
I believe "Land of Critical Mass" means that your investments do not need any further contributions. Growth should get the portfolio where it needs to be prior to retirement.

Our biggest milestone is knowing that if we cut our spending slightly we can retire today. That is an amazing feeling. It also means that we can go part time right now and let our investments grow on their own (Land of Critical Mass.) Current plan is to go part time at the end of 2018 baring some catastrophic event or a market correction that would make me want to work and contribute more while equities are on sale.

bantam222

Post by bantam222 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 am

Does anyone struggle with not being able to share their financial achievement or swings with anyone else? I am pushing 500k and feel like I can’t tell anyone. I don’t feel comfortable telling my family as most people cannot handle large amounts of money.

It can be a weird feeling getting beers with a friend after work and knowing your net worth increased more today in the stock market than their total net worth is.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:37 am

bantam222 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 am
Does anyone struggle with not being able to share their financial achievement or swings with anyone else? I am pushing 500k and feel like I can’t tell anyone. I don’t feel comfortable telling my family as most people cannot handle large amounts of money.

It can be a weird feeling getting beers with a friend after work and knowing your net worth increased more today in the stock market than their total net worth is.
Yeah, unless your friend and family member has the Boglehead type mentality, I think it will be best to keep it to yourself.

However, that is what this forum is for. You can be as free as a bird when it comes to your financial success.

Congrats on becoming half a millionaire!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:40 am

O.K. This new thread made me want to check.

Due to market highs I am now at 710K. My house is in the New York area (Staten Island) and every day in the S.I. Advance they keep reporting on the affordability crisis due to how high the housing market is.

My house I bought brand new in 1993 for $134K is now worth over $500K. So with no mortgage and no other debt, I am a net worth millionaire. Yeah!!

For the record, I'm 53 and my number is $1 million.

Good Luck to everyone who is heading toward their dream of becoming financially independent!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am

stemikger wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:40 am

Due to market highs I am now at 710K. My house is in the New York area (Staten Island) and every day in the S.I. Advance they keep reporting on the affordability crisis due to how high the housing market is.

My house I bought brand new in 1993 for $134K is now worth over $500K. So with no mortgage and no other debt, I am a net worth millionaire. Yeah!!

Good Luck to everyone who is heading toward their dream of becoming financially independent!
Congratulations :sharebeer
Next stop. . . 2 comma in the market?

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am
stemikger wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:40 am

Congratulations :sharebeer
Next stop. . . 2 comma in the market?

Thank you!! :beer

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:32 pm

A few come to mind:

1. Net worth about to pass $500k (it probably already has passed that if I counted primary home equity, but I keep primary home equity at purchase price). Market setbacks are unlikely to derail that, too, as new contributions/paychecks/debt paydowns/upcoming employer matches and profit shares to 401ks are more than likely to offset any market losses. So within the next 30 days we should join the....1 and a half comma club?

2. Liquid, non-retirement assets (savings, checking, emergency funds, and taxable accounts) at over $100k. Believe me, this helps me sleep well at night, even as I continue to build this higher.

3. Spouse was able to take 6 months maternity leave after our 2nd son was born with (minimal) impact to our finances, thanks in large part to saving a chunk of money in advance for precisely this reason.

4. Got our estate plan put into place (well, there's a few things still to do in terms of officially funding it, but it's all progressing along). Unfortunately, a recent family tragedy put into stark relief how important this one is, so I'm glad it's taken care of/being taken care of.

5. Finally, after dragging our feet a bit, we set it up so that 2018 will be the year we finally max both of our 401ks. I've always maxed mine, but cash flow/more immediate needs dictated we didn't max my spouse's (although we did do above and beyond what was necessary to get any match)...but now, we feel comfortable enough financially to max both, which will really help us turbocharge things going forward (we actually got a jump towards this in 2017, by setting my spouse's 401k contributions to the level that would max it out over a year in August...now we're used to making the cashflow work, so it should be smooth sailing in 2018, hopefully).

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 pm

New member of the 2 comma club in retirement savings here, as of today's close. I never thought this would happen due to taking withdrawals while delaying SS. We begin SS in July of this year, which will lower withdrawals to around 3% until RMD's. SS benefits will increase by about 30k in 4.5 years.

From the date we started withdrawals almost 2 years ago in March of 2016, to today, we should have $780,609 remaining in the portfolio (if there was zero gain). Instead there is $1,001,122, entirely due to $220,513 gain in a four fund indexed 60/40 portfolio at VG. Funds withdrawn from savings to fund the SS delay were not invested. Distributed dividends should fund the future portfolio withdrawals to fund SS delay until my age 70.

Thank you all for your golden advice.

SteveKnox6

Post by SteveKnox6 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm

2017 was a great year for me. Got married and went on a dream honeymoon as well as paid off my wife’s student loans to the sum of $120k. She started her career and we are both maxing out our 401k’s and Roth IRA’s at age 27. We only have about $100k in our retirement assets but we also set up our Emergency Fund and got our finances in order.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Congratulations to everyone :sharebeer

I first posted here a year and a half ago and was so worried at that time due to an unexpected job loss. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192652

I decided to retire at that time and continue to be frugal. I paid off my car loan and have been living off of a small pension + dividends from my taxable account. I'm going to let SS grow for a few more years.

I checked today and I have $906K in investments plus my house $130K .Thank you to all those that encouraged me when I needed it.

I feel like a MILLIONAIRE !

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Mlm wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 pm

I first posted here a year and a half ago and was so worried at that time due to an unexpected job loss. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192652

I decided to retire at that time and continue to be frugal. I paid off my car loan and have been living off of a small pension + dividends from my taxable account. I'm going to let SS grow for a few more years.

I checked today and I have $906K in investments plus my house $130K .Thank you to all those that encouraged me when I needed it.

Congrats! You SHOULD feel like a millionaire!

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 pm

All,

Okay here goes.

I completed the Rollover of my 401k today and fully rebalanced into my target asset allocation!

This is a major retirement milestone for me as I shift from planning a retirement to living one. Topped it off with my first Roth Conversion for 2018 (next one in Dec once I have more accurate numbers).

I had to give up Vanguard Primecap (VPMAX) since Fidelity could not move it in-kind as part of the rollover and it’s now a closed fund (I have had this for years and it felt like I lost an old friend). Oh well, my IPS helped out and I just shifted the funds to VTI and VXUS which simplified the portfolio and reduced my expenses.

Really starting to sink in— I am retired!

WoodSpinner

Oh and started to shop for Class B motor homes...

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

vested1 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 pm
New member of the 2 comma club in retirement savings here, as of today's close. I never thought this would happen due to taking withdrawals while delaying SS. We begin SS in July of this year, which will lower withdrawals to around 3% until RMD's. SS benefits will increase by about 30k in 4.5 years.

From the date we started withdrawals almost 2 years ago in March of 2016, to today, we should have $780,609 remaining in the portfolio (if there was zero gain). Instead there is $1,001,122, entirely due to $220,513 gain in a four fund indexed 60/40 portfolio at VG. Funds withdrawn from savings to fund the SS delay were not invested. Distributed dividends should fund the future portfolio withdrawals to fund SS delay until my age 70.

Thank you all for your golden advice.
Congratulations.
The fruits of a well thought out plan.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 pm
All,

Okay here goes.

I completed the Rollover of my 401k today and fully rebalanced into my target asset allocation!

This is a major retirement milestone for me as I shift from planning a retirement to living one. Topped it off with my first Roth Conversion for 2018 (next one in Dec once I have more accurate numbers).

I had to give up Vanguard Primecap (VPMAX) since Fidelity could not move it in-kind as part of the rollover and it’s now a closed fund (I have had this for years and it felt like I lost an old friend). Oh well, my IPS helped out and I just shifted the funds to VTI and VXUS which simplified the portfolio and reduced my expenses.

Really starting to sink in— I am retired!

WoodSpinner

Oh and started to shop for Class B motor homes...
Congratulations!
Welcome to a live of leisure. . . :sharebeer
"Toons" has a "Roadrek" to drool over.
Post a thread awhile back discussing Roadreks vs Winnebago Travato $$$$$$$ etc.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:06 pm

cinghiale wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 am
A milestone of sorts...

Now two full years into retirement, and have had the good fortune of strong market tailwinds since then. Stepping out of the accumulation phase, with the comfort and security of a monthly paycheck, and into the distribution phase, with the shuddering realization that the seed corn is being eaten, is an emotional and cognitive challenge. No matter how the numbers look on paper, there’s still a “stepping off the high diving board” feel to stopping work and beginning retirement.

The two year mark showed net portfolio appreciation of 7% in 2016 and 8% in 2017. With a conservative asset allocation of 35/60/5, and a withdrawal rate of right around 2.75%, we are off to a very good start. These first two years included many transitional expenses, and so I’m looking for a lower withdrawal rate for 2018. In sum, I think we have weathered the fear and trepidation season, and have reached the milestone of confidence in our retirement plans and decisions. As always, I want to recognize the wisdom of crowds in the collective insights, knowledge, and wisdom on daily display in this forum. :sharebeer to all.
Congrats, nothing like a few good years of a big bull market to get you Started!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Mlm wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 pm

You've come back from the brink!
Welcome to the 2 comma club.
Congratulations

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Well I wasn't going to post this, but since I was prompted by this new thread title, here goes!

My husband and I surpassed a net worth of $2,000,000 yesterday for the first time. :moneybag

With bonuses pending and a strong savings rate, we should stay above this level even if/when the market corrects. In reality we've probably been here for a while due to RE values, but I list those at cost on my balance sheet so it's staring at me in print for the first time. We hit $1MM 3 years and 9 months ago (the month we got married), and we expect to hit $3MM in 3 more years (if there are no major market downturns or income gaps).

To be honest I haven't even told my husband yet, and I'm sure we won't do anything special to celebrate. I feel a bit selfish/guilty even being excited about this milestone. However it is a major one for me since I feel that it marks a true sense of financial independence. We can't retire now given our current spending level ($150k a year including our mortgage), but if we never earn or save another dollar we could downsize and live comfortably indefinitely. Similarly, if we quit saving and spent ever dollar we make from here on, we should be set for retirement . This slow realization has caused us to loosen up the spending reigns this past year. Basically anything we earn and save now is gravy.

My number one financial goal this year is to increase the amount that we give away. Our giving rate hasn't kept pace with our saving and spending increases over time.
Please let us know his reaction!

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 pm

bantam222 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 am

Absolutely! Especially since so many of my friends and relatives are struggling to put food on the table, keep a roof over their heads, and get the medical care that they need. Sigh, doubly frustrating in that they ask, but ignore my counsel and suggestions.

This is one of the few safe places we can celebrate this type of milestone.

WoodSpinner

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm

SteveKnox6 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm
2017 was a great year for me. Got married and went on a dream honeymoon as well as paid off my wife’s student loans to the sum of $120k. She started her career and we are both maxing out our 401k’s and Roth IRA’s at age 27. We only have about $100k in our retirement assets but we also set up our Emergency Fund and got our finances in order.
That deserves a standing ovation! :beer