2017 HR Block tax federal tax update won't install

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

2017 HR Block tax federal tax update won't install

Post by CULater » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm

I keep trying to run the Federal update just issued for my 2017 HR Block software on Mac and it just chokes and sits there looking at me. Anybody else having this problem?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Watts

Re: 2017 HR Block tax federal tax update won't install

Post by Watts » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 pm

I had the same issue where it was stuck on "gathering information." I think it's scanning the disk during this time, so just give it a while. I let it sit on both of my Macs for an hour, and it eventually started installing. Good luck!

CULater

Post by CULater » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Watts wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 pm
I had the same issue where it was stuck on "gathering information." I think it's scanning the disk during this time, so just give it a while. I let it sit on both of my Macs for an hour, and it eventually started installing. Good luck!
Yes, that's exactly what it's doing. An hour??? Never had this before and I've been using HR Block for years.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Just did the update on a Windows laptop, and it took less than a minute.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 pm

I use Windows. No problems on installation, adding info or updates.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 pm

I am updating now on a Macbook. It took about 30 seconds to complete.

My impression from previous years is that it looks (gathers?) on the disk for any and all current_year HR tax files and may do something to them. So it is not just looking at the file you opened. If the disk is large+full or has lots of files on it, then scanning the disk can take a while. But that's just my impression. I have my tax files on a 2 Tb external drive and not the local SSD, so I think it took longer than it would have if I did not use the larger external drive.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CULater

Post by CULater » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm

At least it sounds like it is doing something while I sit there staring at it. It would be nice if there was some sort of indicator that the update is actually functioning and not just hung up. I've started and stopped it several times now because it looks hung up each time. Guess I'll let it sit an marinate the next time I try it and hope something happens other than me getting teed off...

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

I would just uninstall it then reinstall it.

Gray Run

Post by Gray Run » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am

I have had this problem in the past with the Mac version. If you have any external drives connected to your computer, disconnect them and the update should proceed correctly.

wdo0002

Post by wdo0002 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 am

I was having the same issue yesterday and this morning. It had been "stuck" overnight. I went through these steps and it started updating immediately.

Found these on the H&R Block website. https://www.hrblock.com/support/software-support.html

There can be several things preventing your software from updating. First, run a Disk Utility:

Open the Disk Utility:
Click the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop.
Click Applications on the left side of the screen.
Click Utilities.
Click Disk Utility.
Choose the Mactintosh HD and click Verify Disk Permissions. (This could take a few minutes.) [I did not have this option; I used 'First Aid' at the top]
When the scan is complete, you can review any of the permissions issues it found in the window in the middle of the Disk Utility window. To repair these issues, click the Repair Disk Permissions button.
Close the Disk Utility.
Try updating the H&R Block Tax Software again.

Once the 'First Aid' scan completed the update started immediately and finished in less than a minute.

Hope this helps!

charis23

Post by charis23 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 am

Gray Run wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am
I have had this problem in the past with the Mac version. If you have any external drives connected to your computer, disconnect them and the update should proceed correctly.
This worked for me. Especially if you have the H&R Block image file still loaded, the upgrade hangs. I wound up just re-downloading the install file from H&R Block's website and it already had the latest federal update.