Which Car To Keep

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
redhawkwatch

Which Car To Keep

Post by redhawkwatch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi y'all,

Haven't been on in a while! Good year for us bogleheads!

I have a non-finance question regarding what y'all think is a proper way to proceed with my family's vehicle situation.

We will have 4 kids in a bit (new baby), so that is a family of 6 total. We recently bought a new van, to replace our Honda Pilot. The Pilot has been amazing, but was getting cramped as the older kids get big. We fought this for a while, but the time came to give in to more comfort.

My automobile is a Tundra. I don't use it for work, but we use the bed a lot for remodeling our house. It is a really comfortable truck, but will not fit all 6, as it is a 5 seater. BTW, this kid was unexpected. It was perfect when we had a five member family!

So, I am left with the quandary to:

a) Keep the Pilot (which seats up to 8, though we will likely almost never use it for all of us). It has 86K miles (2011) & is in great condition. And, sell the Tundra.

b) Keep the Tundra (2014, low mileage) - won't seat us all, but is a great truck, allows for towing/hauling.

I would get 11,000 from CarMax for the Pilot & haven't gotten an appraisal for the Tundra. However, I am in Texas, so the truck values are pretty good. Both autos are paid off.

Thanks for any insight.

bloom2708

Re: Which Car To Keep

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm

I would sell the Pilot and keep the Tundra.

If you only used the pickup now and then, then you could look at renting a truck for those few occasions. We have a Uhaul about .5 miles away. $20 + mileage for a pickup rental.

We also have an Enterprise Car Rental very close. If we had to have another 7-8 passenger vehicle for a weekend or something. We rent one.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 pm

For many years, our family of 5 had only a minivan and a convertible that seats 4. Assuming the primary family hauler is fairly reliable (i.e. a *new* minivan), I think it's ok for the secondary vehicle to not be able to seat everyone.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Keeping the tundra makes sense to me if you use the bed, especially if you can (or never need to) get all the kids in it when your spouse is issuing the other (new) vehicle.

JT

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Is there a way to keep both?
Tundra's are made in Texas, correct?

j

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm

We go out as a complete family fairly often so having a vehicle big enough for all of us is crucial. However, each situation is unique. If it were me I would keep the Pilot. It can hold everybody and it can haul some amount of stuff. I imagine you would go out as a family more than you would need more hauling space than the Pilot offers. Just a guess obviously.

redhawkwatch

Post by redhawkwatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:33 pm
Keeping the tundra makes sense to me if you use the bed, especially if you can (or never need to) get all the kids in it when your spouse is issuing the other (new) vehicle.

JT
Tundra only seats 5, pilot 8 max.

redhawkwatch

Post by redhawkwatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Sandtrap wrote:

j
If we keep both it will be a crowded driveway and at least one will just sit around, never driven

redhawkwatch

Post by redhawkwatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm
I would sell the Pilot and keep the Tundra.

If you only used the pickup now and then, then you could look at renting a truck for those few occasions. We have a Uhaul about .5 miles away. $20 + mileage for a pickup rental.

We also have an Enterprise Car Rental very close. If we had to have another 7-8 passenger vehicle for a weekend or something. We rent one.
Thanks!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm

redhawkwatch wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 pm
Hi y'all,
I have a non-finance question regarding what y'all think is a proper way to proceed with my family's vehicle situation.
We will have 4 kids in a bit (new baby), so that is a family of 6 total. We recently bought a new van, to replace our Honda Pilot. The Pilot has been amazing, but was getting cramped as the older kids get big. We fought this for a while, but the time came to give in to more comfort.
My automobile is a Tundra. I don't use it for work, but we use the bed a lot for remodeling our house. It is a really comfortable truck, but will not fit all 6, as it is a 5 seater. BTW, this kid was unexpected. It was perfect when we had a five member family!
a) Keep the Pilot (which seats up to 8, though we will likely almost never use it for all of us). It has 86K miles (2011) & is in great condition. And, sell the Tundra.
b) Keep the Tundra (2014, low mileage) - won't seat us all, but is a great truck, allows for towing/hauling.
I would get 11,000 from CarMax for the Pilot & haven't gotten an appraisal for the Tundra. However, I am in Texas, so the truck values are pretty good. Both autos are paid off.
Thanks for any insight.
OK - now I see. You have a new van that can carry all of the family. Therefore, get rid of the Pilot and keep the Tundra.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that you just got a minivan. I love Pilot's and I'm not a truck fan but I see no reason to keep the Pilot when you have the minivan.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 pm

If the only vehicle you own is the truck, it appears to be legal to let the kids ride in the bed. (https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staf ... atbelt.htm)

Obviously you won't pick that option (and neither would I), so I'd probably keep the pickup and the van. With the pickup, you can still carry 5 people, so you can fit all the kids when you pick them up from school or activities without your wife. If everyone needs to go together, you have the van.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm
I think a lot of people are missing the fact that you just got a minivan. I love Pilot's and I'm not a truck fan but I see no reason to keep the Pilot when you have the minivan.
Right.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Sell me your Pilot. No joke. I sent you a PM :)
:sharebeer
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm

redhawkwatch wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 pm
If we keep both it will be a crowded driveway and at least one will just sit around, never driven
When is your oldest due to learn to drive?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm

redhawkwatch wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:

j
Minivan for DW and truck for you.
In Texas, ya gotta have a truck. :D
Goodbye Honda.

j :D

redhawkwatch

Post by redhawkwatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm
redhawkwatch wrote:
When is your oldest due to learn to drive?
8 years

redhawkwatch

Post by redhawkwatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Decided to sell pilot.

abonder

Post by abonder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm

You could make a case for either approach, but I think you made the right choice selling the Pilot. I view having a van plus a pickup truck as greater overall utility than a van plus pilot. The van is superior to the pilot for moving people and gear and the truck is superior for daily use and projects. Plus, the Toyota pickup is newer, so it makes sense to keep it and use it’s still-very-long lifespan.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:32 pm

I would keep the Tundra as well.

redhawkwatch

Post by redhawkwatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I must say, the odyssey elite we bought is amazing. On par with a high class limo in regards driving experience.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm

redhawkwatch wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 pm
Hi y'all,

Thanks for any insight.
Should've bought the Tundra with the bench seat in front. If only. BTW, congrats on the newest. Big families are FUN.

redhawkwatch

Post by redhawkwatch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks!

deikel

Post by deikel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm

You did not say what van you got, but some vans can remove/fold away all seats and are a great transportation car for construction items - no need for a Truck bed at all

Having said that, if your kids are spaced out in years than you will occasionally need a transport for everyone, but most likely shuttle around older kids different than younger ones, so I don't think you need two vans - but that is the cleanest transportation solution that gives you max flexibility

Sell both Truck and Honda and get a second van and pick that van such that it can do transport of goods as well
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:43 pm

thoughts
Van and Pilot are closer to being the same type of vehicle offering, vs Van / Tundra
Tundra is worth more if you sell - '13-'15 Tundras in DFW with 40K miles selling for $30-35K
Do you need the cash from selling the vehicle ? - diff of $20K plus in resale
Which do you like most ?
Tundra is 3 years newer, less miles and offers different use options
Do you have any teens about to drive in 1-2 years ? -- keep for kids to drive and pass down

In my situation I would probably sell the Pilot, but I am not you and would not have bought a van in the first place (wife is against them) :shock:

You are in a good spot either way. To me it comes down to the money difference and which one you would like more.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

dandinsac

Post by dandinsac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Since you decided to keep the truck...

When my brother and I were young back in the 70’s, my father had a pickup (before there were extended cabs). He added a camper shell and my brother and I often rode in the back sleeping on camping cots. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter and probably a bit risky (and likely illegal) by today’s standards. Most of our trips were about 2 hours long from our house in the city to our farm, probably 20 round trips per year. But the truck was a lot more useful than the car once we were on the farm. We squished in the cab on Sunday’s for church.

Maybe sell the new minvan as well!? :idea: LOL