Fund order within Vanguard Brokerage Account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
CAsage

Fund order within Vanguard Brokerage Account

Post by CAsage » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 pm

This question is truly in the weeds. I have several brokerage accounts at Vanguard - IRA, Roth, Taxable. In each of those accounts, I have multiple funds. The order of those funds on the display page is different for each account, and I simply cannot fathom how they done! They are not alphabetical by name, or symbol, and not ordered by balance. This bugs me to no end because (I'm a neat freak and ...) I would like to order my Excel information I periodically update in the same row order. I use Excel to track total assets (not all at Vanguard), and manage rebalancing/net sales/purchases.

I know you can "customize" your view by arranging the order of the brokerage accounts - but how 'bout the funds within?

Really petty, but if anyone knows.... Thanks.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

jhfenton

Re: Fund order within Vanguard Brokerage Account

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Mine are in alphabetical order by fund/ETF name, not the ticker, but the full fund name. Bonds are in order by CUSIP.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Mine is definitely not full name order, either. In one Total Bond is first, in the other it's 3rd. I actually suspect it's in reverse order of when the fund was added - oldest on the bottom, newest first. Drives me bonky.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm

My largest account with the most funds (by far) is listed in this order:

VEGBX Vanguard Emerging Markets Bond Fund Admiral Shares
VEMAX Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares
VFSVX Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small Capital Index Fund Investor Shares
VICSX Vanguard Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares
VSIGX Vanguard Intermediate-Term Treasury Index Fund Admiral Shares
VSCSX Vanguard Short-Term Corporate Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares
VSIAX Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund Admiral Shares

The broad categories are ordered Mutual Funds > ETFS > Stocks > Bonds > CDs, and then they're alphabetical by full fund name within each category.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

I have this:

VICSX Vanguard Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares 
VGSLX Vanguard REIT Index Fund Admiral Shares 
VSCSX Vanguard Short-Term Corporate Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares 
VSIAX Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund Admiral Shares 
VBTLX Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares 
VTIAX Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares 
VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares 

I must need more coffee. It's definitely by fund name - it's just the Totals are last. Ok, never mind. I will go get more coffee. It's a lot more clear when the names are in a tight row. I grovel in mortification....

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm

CAsage wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm
I must need more coffee. It's definitely by fund name - it's just the Totals are last. Ok, never mind. I will go get more coffee. It's a lot more clear when the names are in a tight row. I grovel in mortification....
:beer

My complaint with the order is with the Bonds and CDs. I have a number of brokered CDs, and they are listed in CUSIP order. All that accomplishes is roughly ordering them by issuer. I would like CDs to be listed by maturity date, since that is what is most important.

And other bonds they all lump together under "Bonds" and order by CUSIP. They should group those by type (Treasuries, TIPS, Corporate), group corporate bonds by issuer, and then order each subgroup by maturity.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

I have only one fund per account, so I avoid this issue. :twisted:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:19 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm
I have only one fund per account, so I avoid this issue. :twisted:
My ex- used to say, "Assign the toughest jobs to a lazy man. He will find the simplest way to do them!"

j/k. Nothing personal.
But my ex- did seem to ask me to do a lot. :sharebeer

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:32 pm

CAsage wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 pm
I would like to order my Excel information I periodically update in the same row order. I use Excel to track total assets (not all at Vanguard), and manage rebalancing/net sales/purchases.
As we all figured out when we looked, the funds are ordered alphabetically by name, after the common first word "Vanguard", with numbers like 500 Index arranged first.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet to track our Vanguard, Fidelity, TIAA, Marcus, and BoA line items. The line items are grouped by 529, taxable (joint), retirement (me and her), and banking. I have two numbered columns on the left side of my spreadsheet, which I can sort by either column. The first column is numbered the way I set it up and the second column drops all the subtotals and spacing rows to the bottom, with all the line item rows ordered as they appear on our Vanguard holdings page. After I update from a PDF of our Vanguard holdings page I sort the whole sheet back to the way I like it.

PS. I have a family view account at Vanguard, so my wife's retirement funds show up on my page, even though they are really in her separate account. Our joint taxable funds (joint trust) show up on both of our account pages, and I have all of our outside accounts linked to my Vanguard page, so I only have to print one PDF in order to update all of our holdings on our Excel spreadsheet.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:50 am

Anytime you want to organize data any way you want it organized the way to do it is to create your own spreadsheets. If you are really picky enough it is well worth the effort to keep the data populated and updated. Also in spreadsheets you can arrange any number of alternative views of the information.