Someone spoofing my phone number?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Marylander1

Re: Someone spoofing my phone number?

Post by Marylander1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

likegarden wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm
For weeks now again those probably fake IRS people are calling with their fake Washington phone number.
For what it's worth, the vast majority of IRS people who call taxpayers do not work in the 202 area code.

Marylander1

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm

I used to get a couple of robocalls a week from spoofed numbers with the same area code and exchange. I got RoboKiller on my phone and it intercepts them. Somehow it sees past the spoofed number and the real number is on its database of robocallers.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm

A couple of years ago I was getting weekly fake IRS calls from area code 202. I reported it to the IRS to no avail. So I called the fake IRS back and told them I wanted an address to send them a check. They hung up. I kept calling them and they kept hanging up. Eventually they blocked my number and never called again.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 pm

JBTX wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:32 pm
scrabbler1 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 pm
JBTX wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 am
For those getting spam and robocalls there are apps for that. If you have land line phone via internet provider, many of those give you option to use “nomorobo”. It works very well. Eliminates almost 100% of robocalls. You get one brief ring but then no more.

There are also apps for mobile phones. I use robokiller.

If you have old style phone company landline then you are SOL.
I have had nomorobo for nearly a year after I changed my landline provider to be internet-based. It has reduced the junk calls by about 2/3. Many junk calls still get through, some with "Private Caller," some with spoofed local number like what is being discussed in this thread. Others I report to nomorobo so they can add them to their database. I often look up the incoming number in 800notes.com to see if there are other complaints about it.

I get lots of junk calls including those local spoofed numbers on my cell phone, too. I have no call-blocking feature on it and I begin to recognize the common local spoofed ones. About 90% of the cell phone calls I get are junk ones, many for the previous owner of the cell phone number (and I have had the number for nearly 3 years).
I'm not sure why, but we hardly ever get any junk calls with the nomorobo anymore. You'll hear it ring a several times a day, one ring then done. I used to get the same types of calls you are referring to, but i don't get them anymore. Do you have an option to "block anonymous calls" through your phone provider? Also, we have the option to block up to 50 numbers - but since getting nomorobo I haven't added anybody to the list in months.
I can block "private" calls on my land line but I haven't selected that option. I get very few of those, anyway. I can and have added a few phone numbers from my land line, those which were not blocked by nomorobo and were not simply spoofed numbers (matching my area code and first 3 digits). Not too many of those, either, maybe 15 since I began with my VOIP provider just over a year ago.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Jeff Albertson wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm
from the Washington Post magazine:
'How robo-callers outwitted the government and completely wrecked the Do Not Call list'
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
It's not very optimistic that any solution is on the horizon, but at least a few are trying.
Now, on the horizon — perhaps — is a moonshot called Caller ID authentication, which would function like the blue Twitter check mark that verifies a user’s identity. Developed by a consortium of telecom providers, it’s being tested by AT&T, Comcast and others. It may or may not see the light of day in 2018.
Fascinating article. Thanks for posting the link. :sharebeer

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm
A couple of years ago I was getting weekly fake IRS calls from area code 202. I reported it to the IRS to no avail. So I called the fake IRS back and told them I wanted an address to send them a check. They hung up. I kept calling them and they kept hanging up. Eventually they blocked my number and never called again.
This wouldn’t work with spoofers. They spoof real people’s numbers on the caller ID to call you and pitch something. So if you called that number back, you’d get that real person and they’d be confused as to why you were calling them. Just a couple of weeks ago I got text from someone telling me to stop calling them. The robocaller had spoofed my number on their caller ID.

indi

Post by indi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm

My cell # was spoofed too and I had about 10 calls a day from people calling me back because they missed my call. Ugh.. who knew people had so much time on their hands. After the first 10 calls, I started to give people a lesson on why they shouldn't call numbers back if they didn't leave a message. Spoke with cell provider and had my # switched to unknown caller to reduce the chance of spoofing. That didn't stop the calls, which lasted about 8 weeks.

I kept getting these robospam calls, originating out of the country, about credit cards, free home security systems, consolidating student loans etc. when i started engaging the call center people in meaningless, waste their time conversations, the spam calls finally stopped. I consider it my civic duty to keep them on the line as long as possible so they can't dupe innocent people into their scam. When they wanted to know what my credit card balances were, I told them i didn't know exactly because the cards were frozen in a block of ice and I couldn't see how heavy it was. When they wanted to give me a free security system, I told them I would be interested if they took away my existing system -- 4 dogs that only eat meat, not dog food.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I already have on my cell phone - with name ID's - all the numbers that are important to me (close friends and family). If it is somebody who is not on that list, but really needs to contact me (like a doctor's office) - then they had better leave a "call back" message. I am probably blacklisting about one spam call per day at this point. :annoyed
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 am

indi wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm
My cell # was spoofed too and I had about 10 calls a day from people calling me back because they missed my call. Ugh.. who knew people had so much time on their hands.
Some of those people may have had work cell phones. Many companies that give out a cell phone as part of a job require all missed numbers to be returned, whether or not a message is left, in case a customer is trying to contact them.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 am

I don't answer calls I don't recognize except in the rare instances where I'm expecting a call and don't know what number the person will use. For example if a doctor's office might be returning a call. Those rarely use the main office number.

If I get a legit call like that, I add the number to a section of my phone book marked incoming only so next time I will know who's calling.

I never answer calls from area codes I don't recognize.

It does sometimes pay to complain at the DoNotCall website. I got a notice of a settlement in a class action lawsuit that's going to result in a nice check. The only way they could have known I was phone spammed was because I complained. This was some company that tries to get Seniors to order medical devices which I think then get charged to Medicare.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm
I used to get a couple of robocalls a week from spoofed numbers with the same area code and exchange. I got RoboKiller on my phone and it intercepts them. Somehow it sees past the spoofed number and the real number is on its database of robocallers.
This isn't in the Apple iTunes store. Is it only for Android?

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

I recently discovered how to turn on "Do Not Disturb" on my home phone. I do that if the calls get too obnoxious. Makes it seem on the other end as if my phone is off hook.

I don't hold much optimism that anything ever will be done to solve the problem. But I am constantly looking for better ways to live with it.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:39 pm
Someone called me three times this morning. I ignored the first two attempts and picked up on the 3rd. Their phone number had the same area code as mine and same first three digits after area code. They told me that I kept calling them. I told them I did not. They said someone kept calling them with my number, making sales calls. I told them again, I've never called them. They said maybe someone is spoofing your number and hung up. This is kind of scary, especially in the midst of the Equifax nonsense. Has anyone experienced this where someone calls you claiming you keep calling them? I found a thread on verizon (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/929989) and sprint (https://community.sprint.com/t5/Service ... d-p/872026) complaining of the same exact issue. Doesn't sound like a ton can be done from the thread responses. The FTC has a complaint form for spoofing, but none of the options allow you to report this specific problem above. You can report receiving a spoof call, but the problem here is the person that called me is the one that received the spoof call.
I did. A large constuction project cut a large bundle of fiber optics which carried phone company lines. I called the phone company, they said they ere fixng it. When I dialed my cousin, i kept getting a man at her number. I accused him of nefarious deeds ( really upset). The I started getting calls from someone trying to contact Judy. Verified the phone number called and number reached. NO MATCH!

Called phone company again, and a guy was sent out to fix problem. He gave me the scoop about the fiber oprtics. Finally fixed.

However OP, I don't think this is your problem. Someone is using your phone number to spoof the called phone calker id.

J295

Post by J295 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm

I get these occasionally. I don’t answer. If they don’t leave a message, that I go into recent calls and block that number. If you’re worried personally or professionally about missing a call, then answer it, and if you’re not interested then after you hang up block the caller.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm
3feetpete wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm
This isn't in the Apple iTunes store. Is it only for Android?
RoboKiller - Stop Spam Calls by TelTech Systems
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/robokil ... 31885?mt=8

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 pm

My ooma at home broke. So I unplugged it. When people try to call my home number I get the voicemail in my email. Then I call back on my cell.

This is the best ooma feature ever.