Men's no iron dress shirt recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cruz

Re: Men's no iron dress shirt recommendations

Post by Cruz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm
CHARLES TYRWHITT. close thread

When you buy them correctly with coupons (watch for them on Slickdeals) you can get them around $30-35 per shirt shipped. No better value in my opinion. They have a wide range of sizes, exact sleeve lengths, come with brass collar stays, and the fabric is really nice. If you live in a big city where they have a store, go there and try a bunch on to know whether you are Slim, Extra Slim, Regular, etc. Slim and Extra Slim compare to others' "tailored". Tyrwhitt also had an AWESOME return policy of 6 months. Free return shipping. I think they just changed it to charging $5.95 for return shipping but will do exchanges for free. I had 8 shirts and wore them for 5 months and then decided after visiting a store that I really wanted to be in Extra Slim instead of Slim, and I shipped them all back for free and they sent 8 new shirts in the new size for free. I know a bit aggressive on my part but I don't plan to do that switch again now that I know my true size, and I am now even more loyal to them for their customer service.

Costco USED TO BE GOOD....but they stink now. They used to have exact sleeve lengths, now they have average (eg 34/35 instead of 35). Their fabric is not as good as it used to be and wrinkles a lot. On my Tyrwhitts I can just hang them in the closet and much of the wrinkling will hang itself out over a few days. The old Costco shirts were just pretty baggy though. They now have "tailored" which is better, but again comes with the above negatives.

I like Lands End too, but their range of patterns is now more limited, and they "waste" a lot of their slots on some wacky patterns and colors that I don't really think work for down the middle people like myself. Plus their "tailored" is still on the generous side, so if you want something nice and fitted you need to go Slim and they don't have many options.

I haven't had Brooks Brothers in a long while. I know they have good shirts but I would rather buy Charles Tyrwhitts at $30 vs Brooks Brothers at $75-80
I too have a few Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, I like the range of fits but does the lack of gauntlet button (button on the sleeve) annoy anyone when rolling your sleeves up?

I also have some BR shirts, and have been wanting to try T.M. Lewin. Does anyone have any experience with their shirts?

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm

lightheir wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am
parsi1 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 am
aristotelian wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:44 pm
I have had very good luck with Stafford brand. I think I get them at JC Penney's or Macy's, can't remember which. Dry them on the gentle/wrinkle free setting and take them out while spinning for best results! I have also learned to keep the neck buttoned in the dryer to avoid those burnt stains from the collar tips getting stuck in gaps in the felt ring.
+1, have been using Stafford for several years. No Ironing needed.
I used to have these but I felt they were cheap in feel and look compared to a quality shirt.
Haha, you need to choose between looking good and the convenience of iron free. You know where I stand.

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm a fan of Charles Tyrwhitt http://www.ctshirts.com/us/homepage. I'll often get them on sale for $29.50. I'm happy with the quality, look, and longevity of shirt. Most of the ones I get are non-iron, but a few require ironing after washing. I've gotten some compliments from coworkers on their shirts and ties. For 30 bucks I find a hard time beating them.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau

TRC

Post by TRC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Bonobos Tailored Fit.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm

jadd806 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 am
Another vote for L.L. Bean. Their shirts usually run ~$50, but if you snag a sale you can find them for $25. I have some shirts from them that are 5 years old. Still feel solid, look like new and come out of the dryer wrinkle-free.
Also with LL Bean, you can return the shirts at any time for any reason for a full refund. No questions asked.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Another one for LL Bean. I just bought a no-iron gingham dress shirt for under $20. The solids are around $15. Their sales are very good but you have to have patience.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

nsisson wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm
Hogan773 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm
CHARLES TYRWHITT. close thread

When you buy them correctly with coupons (watch for them on Slickdeals) you can get them around $30-35 per shirt shipped. No better value in my opinion. They have a wide range of sizes, exact sleeve lengths, come with brass collar stays, and the fabric is really nice. If you live in a big city where they have a store, go there and try a bunch on to know whether you are Slim, Extra Slim, Regular, etc. Slim and Extra Slim compare to others' "tailored". Tyrwhitt also had an AWESOME return policy of 6 months. Free return shipping. I think they just changed it to charging $5.95 for return shipping but will do exchanges for free. I had 8 shirts and wore them for 5 months and then decided after visiting a store that I really wanted to be in Extra Slim instead of Slim, and I shipped them all back for free and they sent 8 new shirts in the new size for free. I know a bit aggressive on my part but I don't plan to do that switch again now that I know my true size, and I am now even more loyal to them for their customer service.

Costco USED TO BE GOOD....but they stink now. They used to have exact sleeve lengths, now they have average (eg 34/35 instead of 35). Their fabric is not as good as it used to be and wrinkles a lot. On my Tyrwhitts I can just hang them in the closet and much of the wrinkling will hang itself out over a few days. The old Costco shirts were just pretty baggy though. They now have "tailored" which is better, but again comes with the above negatives.

I like Lands End too, but their range of patterns is now more limited, and they "waste" a lot of their slots on some wacky patterns and colors that I don't really think work for down the middle people like myself. Plus their "tailored" is still on the generous side, so if you want something nice and fitted you need to go Slim and they don't have many options.

I haven't had Brooks Brothers in a long while. I know they have good shirts but I would rather buy Charles Tyrwhitts at $30 vs Brooks Brothers at $75-80
I too have a few Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, I like the range of fits but does the lack of gauntlet button (button on the sleeve) annoy anyone when rolling your sleeves up?

I also have some BR shirts, and have been wanting to try T.M. Lewin. Does anyone have any experience with their shirts?
I generally don't roll up my dress shirts so can't comment there. I do like the double button look of Charles Tyrwhitt though.

From what I have read, TM Lewin is similar to Tyrwhitt, maybe a half notch worse. I looked at their slim sizing for a given cut their chest was wider than Tyrwhitt. I think they have FIVE cuts while Tyrwhitt had 3 (and now 4 with their limited Super Slim Fit). I looked at TM Lewin but at the time their patterns were quite similar to those I already had from Tyrwhitt so I didn't see the need to get them.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 am

fittan wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:32 pm
Banana republic for me. Each dress shirt list price is about $80 each. But they run so many promotions that you can get them for around $35 (fair price). When I am at store I would look at the clearance section and sometimes you can get one for $15+. Once you know your size and fit (Camden or Grant), it is easy to shop going forward.
Another vote for banana republic. I go to their outlet stores and can get shirts under $50. No need to iron and their supper slim shirts fits my 190lbs 6'2" frame.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

beachlover

Post by beachlover » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 am

Took a quick scan through recommendations above and didn't notice either of these mentioned. I've been quite pleased with both:

At Macy's "Eagle" all cotton no-iron dress shirts. I think they list for about $70, but often are on sale.

From Kohls "Croft and Barrow" all cotton no-iron dress shirts. Similarly priced to the Eagles, as I recall.

I've had very good look with both right out of the dryer when removed promptly.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 am

I buy brooks bothers off ebay, you can get some nice deals...I also buy eddie bauer from their outlet stores. They normally have some great sales and you can sign up for their rewards. EB's travel shirts are really nice.
The whole key is put them on a hanger as soon as the dryer stops. they they will be fine.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 pm

beachlover wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 am
Took a quick scan through recommendations above and didn't notice either of these mentioned. I've been quite pleased with both:

At Macy's "Eagle" all cotton no-iron dress shirts. I think they list for about $70, but often are on sale.

From Kohls "Croft and Barrow" all cotton no-iron dress shirts. Similarly priced to the Eagles, as I recall.

I've had very good look with both right out of the dryer when removed promptly.
With all due respect, Croft and Barrow has a very department store look to it and I wouldn't pay $70 for them. I assume the "real" price is $35-40 since Kohls always has 50% off or whatever sales.....but IMO Charles Tyrwhitt at $29-35 is a way better shirt than Croft and Barrow at similar or higher prices.

HereIAm

Post by HereIAm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Can't believe nobody has mentioned MIZZEN & MAIN. The most comfortable dress shirts ever. I have also thrown them in a gym bag for hours and then pulled them out, shook it a bit, and the wrinkles were gone.

ps- they're not cheap.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:10 pm

HereIAm wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm
Can't believe nobody has mentioned MIZZEN & MAIN. The most comfortable dress shirts ever. I have also thrown them in a gym bag for hours and then pulled them out, shook it a bit, and the wrinkles were gone.

ps- they're not cheap.
This is Bogleheads. That's why nobody has mentioned them. This is people who shop at JC Penney and Kohls it seems.

genefl

Post by genefl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Charles Tyrwhitt.

Great customer service and very nice shirts. Wrinkle free is better and more durable than all of the other brands I have tried. BR and Nordstrom wrinkle free also good, but CT is the best. Price (on sale) is also hard to beat!

HereIAm

Post by HereIAm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:10 pm
HereIAm wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm

ps- they're not cheap.
This is Bogleheads. That's why nobody has mentioned them. This is people who shop at JC Penney and Kohls it seems.
I understand that. Quality can help you come out ahead over lower price in many scenarios and actually end up being a cost savings.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm

nsisson wrote:

Don't they also lack pockets, or you have to pay extra for them?

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm
nsisson wrote:

Don't they also lack pockets, or you have to pay extra for them?
The default is no pockets. I actually prefer that as I like the clean look when I am trying to wear a well tailored shirt. I haven't actually ever put anything in the pockets that I have on my Lands End or Kirklands.....

But for those who think a shirt isn't a shirt unless it has a pocket, you can pay a little more to get a pocket. I think it might be $7