Anyone disenchanted with retirement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gasman

Re: Anyone disenchanted with retirement?

Post by gasman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 pm

I know several docs who have more than enough to retire. Working till they can't. They keep working a full load including night call. I think the reason is that they have nothing else. Cultivated no hobbies. Essentially lived separate lives from their families while working so hard for so long. They get something from work they can't get anywhere else. They are miserable, unhappy, nasty people. Invariably male.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm
Just hit 7 years in retirement and things seem to be going fast, but well for me. Was wondering if anyone has been disappointed with retirement and maybe went back to work, and went did that hit?
At times I am disenchanted with pre-retirement.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Just hit 7 years in retirement and things seem to be going fast, but well for me. Was wondering if anyone has been disappointed with retirement and maybe went back to work, and went did that hit?
I'm semi-retired, working three days a week. I love my work schedule and the work itself, but I've found myself taking it easy way too much during my days off. I don't get things done as quickly as I used to. Retirement has caused me to be more lazy.

TravelforFun

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm

After retirement what is next? Death and that's depressing to deal with for some people. I've heard elderly people refer to the nursing home as the "waiting room." There is also a small amount of cognitive dissonance that you are no longer contributing to society (even though you earned it and justifiably deserve retirement).

black jack

Post by black jack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Still several years away from retirement myself, but I think about my dad's experience: he was a manager and retired from the federal government at 55 (with 30+ years) after a heart attack, thinking he might not have many years to live. But he was a doer, not a thinker, and after less than a year he was so bored he started picking up odd jobs (moving cars around for rental car agencies, etc). He liked to do things with his hands, and after a few years he stumbled into doing small home repairs for neighbors, which through word of mouth growth became his full-time job from age 60-77.

He was his own boss, didn't have to supervise anyone, loved the challenges of the work, loved the good will of his clients (often elderly women who had no one else to help them with the odd repairs that needed doing), and enjoyed the extra money, though since he had a pension he didn't really need the money, so could give people good deals when he felt like it (such as the elderly folks, which is funny to write since he was elderly himself). And he could take off when he felt like it.

So as a couple of other posters have mentioned, it seems being your own boss and enjoying what you do (and being financially secure enough to not have to do it) is the key to not looking forward to retirement.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 am

Great feedback....life is what you make of it both in retirement or not.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Post by 2015 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Working2notWork wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm
Hey all -

As I'm reading through all the replies, it seems as though many are staying busy with their daily, non working, lives. As I think about early retirement, would you mind shedding some light on what exactly keeps you busy all day long?

Thanks,

Working (for now)
All the things I thought I would be doing, that society said I should be doing, I have no interest in. Tried volunteering for an organization, lasted a day (I don't volunteer because an individual with special needs I've been voluntarily coaching for the last 4 years takes up more than enough of my time). Tried working part-time, thank-the-heavens that never worked out. Thought about joining "groups" and nixed that one right away.

I'm not sure how it happened, but without effort, retirement life all sort of fell into place on its own. For me, retirement is about unprecedented freedom, possibility, and action, the opportunity to make this last part the best time of my life. I spend my time studying in the morning, nap midday, then go to my favorite cafe and read non-fiction business books in the afternoon. The gym 3x week also takes up time. There is always some project I'm working on related to finances, estate planning, taxes, elder care, future plans, travel, etc.

For those of us who are self-generating, the saying retirement happens on the margins is absolutely true. How I had time to zombie my way through a working life without thinking is beyond me now. As a result of the life changing act of reading non-fiction business books in a wide variety of fields, I am much more content, efficient, effective, and alive than a year ago, and infinitely more so than before I retired.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I retired 9 years ago at age 45. Disenchanted with retirement? HELL NO!

Every time I see some problem with the trains or when it's bad weather or blistering hot in the summer or cold in the winter, I say to myself, I am soooooooo glad I don't have to deal with that CRAP any more!" Superstorm Sandy? I'm glad I didn't have to try to haul my sorry ass from Long Island to Jersey City, New Jersey where my office was. Blizzards, Summer of Hell, Penn Station problems, fare increases, none of that nonsense matters to me any more.

I come and go as I please. I have some outside activities and volunteer work, just enough to keep me from getting bored. I help my ladyfriend out a lot, especially now that she doesn't have a car any more.

When I had some health issues in 2015 and was in the hospital for 12 days and needed a lot of follow-up doctor visits (I am okay now), being retired meant that I could devote 100% of my time and effort to making myself well again, and not have to worry about work stuff. Can't put a value on that!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:07 pm

black jack wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm
Still several years away from retirement myself, but I think about my dad's experience: he was a manager and retired from the federal government at 55 (with 30+ years) after a heart attack, thinking he might not have many years to live. But he was a doer, not a thinker, and after less than a year he was so bored he started picking up odd jobs (moving cars around for rental car agencies, etc). He liked to do things with his hands, and after a few years he stumbled into doing small home repairs for neighbors, which through word of mouth growth became his full-time job from age 60-77.

He was his own boss, didn't have to supervise anyone, loved the challenges of the work, loved the good will of his clients (often elderly women who had no one else to help them with the odd repairs that needed doing), and enjoyed the extra money, though since he had a pension he didn't really need the money, so could give people good deals when he felt like it (such as the elderly folks, which is funny to write since he was elderly himself). And he could take off when he felt like it.

So as a couple of other posters have mentioned, it seems being your own boss and enjoying what you do (and being financially secure enough to not have to do it) is the key to not looking forward to retirement.
I am also my own boss, I decided that I will not do anything in retirement.

JerryS

Post by JerryS » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 pm

I retired March 2014, at age 63. For three years, I enjoyed my hobbies and "bumming around". Then, I felt I needed something to keep me a bit busier. I looked into donating time at some local charities, but settled on getting a part-time job at Home Depot. Woodworking is one of my hobbies and working in the lumber department is a great fit. Unfortunately, I expected to work 16-18 hours/week, but I'm getting 23-26 hours.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:01 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:56 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm
2015 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Whatever helps you cope! Show me your peer reviewed longitudinal study and maybe I'll buy it.
Ugh. You missed the point entirely. Who referenced anything about "coping" (except, perhaps, those who are still working)? Some of us don't need useless click bait in usatoday, a "peer reviewed longitudinal study", or other such nonsense to design our lives. Were I interested (and I most certainly am not), I'd ask you to show me the sources of your "studies" (peer reviewed or otherwise), who their sponsors are, and what "publications" these so-called "studies" show up in (it's in the interest of financial and certain other publications to keep you on hamster wheels of various types).

Escaping the cesspool of "conflict resolution", politicking, game playing, position protecting, organizational jockeying, and the rest of the morass inherent in working in organizations enables some who retiree to be more efficient, effective, and productive than every were while working, if only due to the lack of friction. Some of us are simply, highly self-generative.

[Edited to add: OTOH, I do agree there are those who should never retire, if only because it doesn't suit their personality.]
More cope :mrgreen: Here's one of the actual studies if you're interested:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4340903/
From your link, emphasis mine:

"The present study supports that there is an association between retirement age and age at onset of AD. However, the strength of this association appears to be overestimated due to the selection bias. Moreover, the causality issue remains unresolved. Further prospective investigations are mandatory in order to correctly address this question."
Are you familiar with correlation and causation?
As I read it once biases are extracted the correlations are not statistically significant.

“ (3) once the bias of the reverse causality (i.e., the possibility that subjects may have left the workforce due to prior cognitive impairment) was considered (n = 447), the effect was no longer significant (β = 0.06, p = 0.18).”

My personal opinion is it is highly dependent on the individual. I’ve seen it work both ways.

jhawktx

Post by jhawktx » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Omg, no.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Working2notWork wrote:
Hey all -

As I'm reading through all the replies, it seems as though many are staying busy with their daily, non working, lives. As I think about early retirement, would you mind shedding some light on what exactly keeps you busy all day long?

Thanks,

Working (for now)
I have officially been retired since 9-1-17, though June and July were mainly tying up loose ends. So far, I love
retirement.

I hadn't been sure if I'd have trouble keeping track of the days of the week in retirement, but I have enough recurring activities (such as rehearsals for musical groups) to keep me attuned to the calendar. I walk 1.5 miles every day and am considering adding more physical activity.

My job involved scheduling; I seem to have redirected my scheduling energy into finding frugal ways to plan fun trips. I've always enjoyed doing that and did it to some degree, but now I have more freedom in my schedule and more time to explore options.

I'm still spending a fair amount of time reading articles/watching videos/listening to podcasts for which I didn't have time when I was working. I've always assumed I'd subscribe to Netflix someday, but I find enough on mid-tier cable if I feel like watching TV. Sometimes I'll do puzzles on the computer or just surf the net, going down rabbit holes if I find something interesting.

I think I go to lunch with friends and former colleagues more often than I did when I was working. I've slightly increased the number of cultural and sporting events I attend.

Will I get bored once the "honeymoon" is over? Maybe, but I don't think so. I'm young enough (56) that it's possible that something will induce me to come out of full retirement, but I'll have to like it an awful lot. For now, my favorite things about retirement are the huge reduction in stress, control over my schedule, and peace and quiet.

black jack

Post by black jack » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:07 pm
black jack wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm

I am also my own boss, I decided that I will not do anything in retirement.
You laid yourself off? :wink:
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 am

Coming up on three years and it's hard to think about a time when I would get up every day and go sacrifice so much of my life. Enchantment is when you're lost in your favorite non-fiction business book at your favorite cafe, glancing up every now and then to stare at the beauty of the drizzle and grey day outside. Then you amble home face up in the drizzle, using the umbrella only to shelter your books.

This is quite possibly the best comment I've ever read on this forum. Thank you for sharing your bliss here.

As for me, I have a little over a year to go before I turn in my badge. In my mind, I am already there.

The funny (maybe not so funny) thing is that part of my role involves approving things. I imagine the day will come soon when I will do that blindly, without further questions.
If there's a question after I'm gone, good luck finding me.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 am

For me, I'm happier with semi-retirement. It's been almost 6 years since I retired from megacorp. Getting away from the 9-5 and the office politics has been wonderful.
I've always loved sales and it's so much more fun being my own boss and setting my own schedule. Going from the first meeting with a client to handing over the keys at the closing table has been more fun than I would have imagined.
My wife is a homebody and doesn't enjoy traveling or going out to dinner, shows, concerts, etc. I was 55 when I retired and wasn't ready to spend all my time puttering in the yard. YMMV :D

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm
I've found myself taking it easy way too much during my days off. I don't get things done as quickly as I used to. Retirement has caused me to be more lazy.

TravelforFun
I find that in retirement I don't get things done as quickly as I used to, but I think it is the old axiom that the work expands to fit the time that is available. I don't look at it as a personal deficiency.

North Texas Cajun

Post by North Texas Cajun » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 am

I know quite a few retirees who were like me: enjoyed work but disliked bosses. Retired for five years, I do miss some parts of my job - the intellectual stimulation, the coworkers.

I think many retirees need to find a purpose during their leisure years. I started and run a 30 person golf league. We compete three days a week, year round. Others I know do volunteer work. I know a retiree blogger. But some are content to just travel or play golf or garden.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 am

Our days are numbered in this world.
You can't make more time.
Each day at a soul-draining Megacorp is a day you'll never get back.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:10 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm
Retired at 58 because I could when I ran the numbers, that was 2.5 years ago.....work is sooooo over rated...lol

Do not know how I would fit work into the schedule!
Me too, except started 1 year ago.

One thing I was well aware of before retiring was that the happiest retirees consistently have a passion they pursue. Mine is ham radio and learning to build with my hands, in contrast to a career in software. My impression is that people go back to work after retirement because they don't have a passion to sink into (assuming there isn't a financial reason).

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:20 am

jhawktx wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm
Omg, no.
I like this answer!

Good luck and thanks for reading / cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:34 am

Imagine never having any weekends or vacation. That is the retirement life :-)

Of course, I am kidding but there are people who even if everything else being equal would prefer to be in New England for its supposedly four seasons rather than in San Diego where every day is sunny and seventy. They claim they will not appreciate a nice day in San Diego like they do in New England.

For people with that kind of thinking, one should not be surprised that they could get disenchanted with retirement.

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm 40 year old male. I was talking to a good friend at our job a few days ago. She's 63 years old. We were talking about our job. She was very stressed and was angry at "idiots" at our job. She was beleaguered at a dismal raise she may get next month and a "measley" bonus. She sounded burned out. She confirmed so by saying she's been trying to transfer to another department at our megacorp for almost five years, she keeps getting denied her request to transfer due to "business needs". well, I calmly asked if she was close to retirement. She said she's not thinking about retirement because she will need medicare. Even if she did reach medicare retirement age, she's not going to quit working. She snapped at me and said, "I'm not going to sit at home and do nothing, okay?!?". "I would work at costco after retiring". I kinda joked that costco offers good benefits with healthcare insurance perks. She was not amused. Weird thing, she lives in a upper scale neighborhood part of town I know she makes good money at our job. So, I guess she doesn't think of quitting and sailing off like I do. :D

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:05 pm

I retired in 2013, and I am enjoying retirement very much.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Worked half time for a year a few years ago to have more time while we lived temporarily someplace nice. I loved the pace and freedom. I also noticed I was occasionally "wasting time" on things that brought no happiness or benefit. So that was a good lesson for the future to have a little more planning and discipline when I do eventually retire for "real".

Returning to our "normal" lives and place of residence I decided to only go back to 3/4 time rather than full time. That has been a pleasant balance for the past 1.5 years and I doubt I will ever return to full time (though in my job crunches can mean working over full time for periods of a few weeks but that extra time becomes more vacation later).

Work has gotten more interesting in the past few months and so for now I also really don't want to cut back more either as we are now getting the "fun" work we've been waiting awhile for. Still I plan to cut to half time within five years and then retire completely once the kiddo is out of the house and in college.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to both not need to worry much about cash flow anymore as well as have an interesting job with great people, low stress and little BS that offers the possibility of part time work. My wife's career is very much "all or nothing" leaving her with full time hours and stress or essentially "nothing to do". She also has zero hobbies. Not looking forward to getting her retired...

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Just hit 17 years of semi- and full-time retirement and, rather than disenchanted, I'm thankful, especially when I think of others who never made it to retirement or had only a few years of it. Those years began with improving my health through a better diet, regular sleep, and more exercise, and included freelance editing, an unexpected fun and creative hobby, reading more, volunteering with several organizations and meeting people in lines of work different from mine, plus some travel to visit far-flung friends and family members around the country.

For those who are disenchanted with retirement, a good book to read is Jane Bryant Quinn's How to Make Your Money Last, in which she takes up nearly every aspect of retirement, including its "Five Stages," the third of which is "Disenchantment."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 pm

vectorizer wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:10 am
TLC1957 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:29 pm
Retired at 58 because I could when I ran the numbers, that was 2.5 years ago.....work is sooooo over rated...lol

Do not know how I would fit work into the schedule!
Me too, except started 1 year ago.

One thing I was well aware of before retiring was that the happiest retirees consistently have a passion they pursue. Mine is ham radio and learning to build with my hands, in contrast to a career in software. My impression is that people go back to work after retirement because they don't have a passion to sink into (assuming there isn't a financial reason).
+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

ragabnh

Post by ragabnh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 pm

It has been fine with the exception of continuous fights and arguments with my working wife. :annoyed

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 am

I retired 7 months ago. After catching up on my sleep and de-stressing, I've returned two days a week, different employer. I was getting bored and restless at home and just needed more to do. I love to read and I have hobbies, but I missed the social interaction and I'm in a field with a great shortage of employees. I like to be needed! This balance is perfect for now.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 am

Juliajones54 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 am
I retired 7 months ago. After catching up on my sleep and de-stressing, I've returned two days a week, different employer. I was getting bored and restless at home and just needed more to do. I love to read and I have hobbies, but I missed the social interaction and I'm in a field with a great shortage of employees. I like to be needed! This balance is perfect for now.
I've been on a three-days-a-week schedule for about a year and a half now and it's been wonderful. Same employer.

TravelforFun

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm

I have been retired for 18 months and have had a total of four bad days and that is only because my flu shot didn't work.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:47 pm

My first decade of retirement was the best years of my life. I found my bliss. At work, this introvert needed to act like an extrovert in order to make a living.

In retirement, I volunteer by backpacking (often solo) into a nearby federal wilderness area to use hand tools for cutting and removing the big conifer trees that have fallen onto the hiking trails. That just suits me.

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:11 pm

heyyou wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:47 pm
My first decade of retirement was the best years of my life. I found my bliss. At work, this introvert needed to act like an extrovert in order to make a living.

In retirement, I volunteer by backpacking (often solo) into a nearby federal wilderness area to use hand tools for cutting and removing the big conifer trees that have fallen onto the hiking trails. That just suits me.
What an interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way, but it was probably true for me as well, and probably why I'm so content in retirement. I've used the term "self-generating" previously and I believe it could probably be applied to introverts. In my case, escaping the theatrics, histrionics, and cacophony of the work world has contributed greatly to my bliss.

Just as there is no "I" in Team, there is no longer any external obligatory "Team" to obstruct the world of this "I".

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Working2notWork wrote:
Hey all -

Thanks,

Working (for now)
That’s actually a really good question, since what I actually do now is quite different than what I thought I would be doing.

I think the main thing is that I’m able to be opportunistic, and take advantage of whatever is in front of me, without having to work it into my busy schedule. DW and I are spending 2-3 hours per day on fitness and mindfulness, which I expected. But I signed up for an art class on a whim, and it turned out to be really fun, so I’m spending an hour or more per day making art. When we travel, we go for a month or three instead of a long weekend or a week. Then one day a historian showed up at the front door, asking questions about the history of our house for an article she’s writing, and I was able to jump in and help her do the research for the article. Doing historical research turns out to be really fun. Go figure.

A recruiter from THE company I’ve always wanted to work for has contacted me several times in the past couple of months. The company has opened a new office in the city I live in. A couple of years ago, this would have been my absolute dream job. Now, I can’t seem to find the time to call him back. So, I guess retirement is going okay...

Edit to add...related to cognitive decline in early retirees...for the last year before I left my job, I was having what seemed to be cognitive issues. Doctors visits, inconclusive tests, etc. It was scary. Now that I’ve been away from work for a year, I realize that I was just stressed and burned out. My brain works just fine.

NoMad18

Post by NoMad18 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:18 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm
Coming up on three years and it's hard to think about a time when I would get up every day and go sacrifice so much of my life. Enchantment is when you're lost in your favorite non-fiction business book at your favorite cafe, glancing up every now and then to stare at the beauty of the drizzle and grey day outside. Then you amble home face up in the drizzle, using the umbrella only to shelter your books.
+1

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 pm

I want to follow this thread, I am retired for couple years now
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Retired late 2002; been traveling ever since :sharebeer
No Where for Very Long...

Leif

Post by Leif » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 am

A bit boring so far. But when my wife retires I expect we will do a lot more traveling.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 am

“Retired” 5 years .... thought this must be a trick question. Haha

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
I was going to ask YOU that question since you are the one who linked a usatoday story.

Weird that you understand the difference yet still think those kind of studies mean anything.

If the choice is between watching TV all day and work, I'm guessing work would be better to keep a mind exercised.

But that's not the only choice, is it?

I plan to work on software problems of my own choosing, and relearn to play a musical instrument, and hopefully pick up Spanish again. Plus, with more time to exercise the rest of my body, I feel pretty confident my brain will be in BETTER shape in retirement.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Lancelot wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 pm
Do you keep a house in the U.S.?

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 pm

fourwaystreet wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm
I have been retired for 18 months and have had a total of four bad days and that is only because my flu shot didn't work.
Had you still been working, you would have gotten paid for those four days. Lol

TravelforFun

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
I was going to ask YOU that question since you are the one who linked a usatoday story.

Weird that you understand the difference yet still think those kind of studies mean anything.
For all who wonder if correlation implies causation I recommend having a look at http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Just a small example:

As for retirement, it's been great over the last 1.5 years. No boredom and lots to do. The only negative thing has been the emptying and cleaning out the house on the path to sell it this spring - tedious troublesome work. I will be happy when it's done. I recommend that those planning on moving when they retire start this process early (maybe a couple of years out from retirement) so that it can be more gradual.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm
Lancelot wrote:
Sold the house around 2002. I'm considering leasing an apartment in the US in the not too distant future and splitting my time between the US and other countries. I've also thought about living on cruise ships for a few months of the year.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Lancelot wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Lancelot wrote:
Sold the house around 2002. I'm considering leasing an apartment in the US in the not too distant future and splitting my time between the US and other countries. I've also thought about living on cruise ships for a few months of the year.
I really like that kind of life, but I have obligations. I am doing a 8 month break to see how I may like the extensive travel part.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 pm
Lancelot wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Lancelot wrote:
I really like that kind of life, but I have obligations. I am doing a 8 month break to see how I may like the extensive travel part.
It works for me but some would be abhorred by my lifestyle; no house, no car, no stuff :D

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:08 am

I am since I retired this year but still working full time,forgot to tell my employer I retarded.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am

I’m in the “every night is Friday night and every day is “Saturday” mindset. Retired 8 months now.

It’s interesting to note a neighbor down the road retired about the same time and he told me recently he’s bored out of his skull.

Post by 2015 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 am

akblizzard wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am
I’m in the “every night is Friday night and every day is “Saturday” mindset. Retired 8 months now.

It’s interesting to note a neighbor down the road retired about the same time and he told me recently he’s bored out of his skull.
Nowadays I'm regularly in the "what day is this?" mode.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 pm

akblizzard wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am

Yep, there are challenges no doubt