New Washer - Frontload or HE Top Load

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
seashell

Re: New Washer - Frontload or HE Top Load

Post by seashell » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am
ThatGuy wrote:Front load washers are mechanically much simpler, which should translate to fewer repairs and increased longevity. This is how a HE Top Load works, make note of all the different axis of motion in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so5DyopIRI
As someone who designed washing machines for over ten years, I have to point out that the washer in the linked video only has one axis of motion, the same as all washers. It has six different speeds and directions around that one axis which is what they pointed out in the video.

I also have to disagree that front loaders are mechanically simpler. I spent many many hours designing the pedestal base that holds the bearings and the drums to be structurally sound. Because the major force loading is offset from the bearings and the pedestal, lifetime fatigue calculations are quite complex. In a top load model, the forces go directly through the bearings and the support structure making them much simpler to design. Front loaders are also much more complex to seal up to be water tight when in use than top loaders. Spin speeds become much more finicky in front loaders to prevent your clothes from ending up in a knot or not being cleaned. Top loaders are much more forgiving on this aspect. Front loaders can be much more efficient and the profit margins much much higher which is why the industry is pushing the consumers to buy them over top loaders.
Could I ask which brand of washing machine you own? I'm curious about what a person who has design experience would choose?

srt7

Post by srt7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:29 am
Since this is Bogleheads I would think the answer was obvious - No Load is the only way to go!

(Sorry, but I could not resist)
:sharebeer good one!

srt7

Post by srt7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 pm

I just realized how little I know about W/D's. For 10 years we lived in apartments that offered them. When we finally bought a house we just got a used set off of Craigslist and have been using them for the last 14 years. They're top-load BTW.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am

seashell wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am
ThatGuy wrote:Front load washers are mechanically much simpler, which should translate to fewer repairs and increased longevity. This is how a HE Top Load works, make note of all the different axis of motion in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so5DyopIRI
As someone who designed washing machines for over ten years, I have to point out that the washer in the linked video only has one axis of motion, the same as all washers. It has six different speeds and directions around that one axis which is what they pointed out in the video.

I also have to disagree that front loaders are mechanically simpler. I spent many many hours designing the pedestal base that holds the bearings and the drums to be structurally sound. Because the major force loading is offset from the bearings and the pedestal, lifetime fatigue calculations are quite complex. In a top load model, the forces go directly through the bearings and the support structure making them much simpler to design. Front loaders are also much more complex to seal up to be water tight when in use than top loaders. Spin speeds become much more finicky in front loaders to prevent your clothes from ending up in a knot or not being cleaned. Top loaders are much more forgiving on this aspect. Front loaders can be much more efficient and the profit margins much much higher which is why the industry is pushing the consumers to buy them over top loaders.
Could I ask which brand of washing machine you own? I'm curious about what a person who has design experience would choose?
I own basic Maytag Centennial washing machines, i.e. an upright top loading washer and basic dryer. I would rather own one of the machines I designed which are mostly used in laundrymats and small motels and such but since they are gravity drain with no pump and are required to be bolted down to concrete to withstand the spinning forces, it would require some engineering to get it to work in my house.

As a design engineer who designed these things for over a decade, I can say the part that most often goes bad is the control board or other electrical parts. So for me, the less electronics on a machine the better which is why I went with basic machines with the old turn dials. My previous set lasted almost twenty years before the motor in the washer finally burnt up and I replace both several years ago with these Maytags.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 am

The the problem I faced with my front load washer is I have to keep the door open otherwise the mold will get develop and it will smell bad.

I would like to have the top load.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 am

Switched from a conventional 20-year-old Whirlpool (started leaking) to an HE LG top-loader (no central agitator) in 2010.

At the time not only was "stinky boot" a problem for the front-loaders, but several were known for rear bearing failures (aka, "time to buy a new washer")

As well as foreign objects jamming the water pump, which has never been a problem for our top-loading LG, where coins, etc. just end up at the bottom of the still-immaculate stainless steel tub.

Post by 2015 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Never any issues, mold, odor, or otherwise with my LG front loading washer/dryer combo. Throw the clothes in, take them out and they're dry. One of my absolute favorite appliances.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 pm

We never had a big problem with basic top load GE washers. The more 'advanced' top load GE washers had mechanical problems with our multiple daily loads staying balanced. When our now 5 year old washer - running it 4 times a day - has problems, we will replace it. We will have again extended warranty and expect 5 years out of it. We need washers to clean clothing with water and soap, no other fancy goals. We want that clothing swims in water and all soapy water gets flushed out during cycles, it's no place to save on water.