Effects of extreme cold weather

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
likegarden

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by likegarden »

My car has to have 33 psig in the tires, now has only 31. That is per the ideal gas law, meaning when temperature decreases, also pressure will decrease.

Remember NFL Deflategate, when supposedly the Patriots deflated footballs. The NFL brass and others did not know physics, missed learning about the ideal gas law in high school. They thought wrongly that after you bring footballs pumped up in a warm room onto a much colder playing field, pressure in balls has to stay the same.
stratton

Post by stratton »

In a sheltered from wind carport at -38 F

Trying to change a flat tire I broke two lug bolts... and then quit.

At -20 F the lug bolts didn't break and could actually change the flat.

This was February 1981.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Rexindex

Post by Rexindex »

Interestingly, when the temperature drops into the teens I find myself reflexively going to expedia to find cruise deals to the carribean. :sharebeer
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:11 pm Many years ago I had a newish 1996 Honda Civic. It was incredibly basic, with an AM only radio, torture chair seats, no trunk light, no A/C, and no power steering, no power windows, and no power door locks. But the worst thing was the heater. The very fine pile of sunshine just couldn't deal with winter, and I had to park outside because I wasn't yet making garage money. One morning when it was -25 or so, I started it up, letting it run for a very long time. I couldn't get the side windows to clear, probably because the car had no detectable levels of insulation. So I decided to roll the windows down and drive to work, which was accomplished by spinning a little lever with a knob on the end. As soon as I moved the little lever, there was a clunk sound that let me know my day was about to get worse, and the window proceeded to free-fall down into the door and stay there. I decided it was time to save enough to buy a proper car.
I'm a firm believer that everyone needs a car like this (or worse) at some point in their life so they understand the luxury of a functional, reliable, somewhat comfortable set of wheels when they finally do get to an income bracket that provides for the purchase of one.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

One of the effects extremely cold weather has on me is additional research on retirement in warmer climates. 8-)
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Rexindex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 am Interestingly, when the temperature drops into the teens I find myself reflexively going to expedia to find cruise deals to the carribean. :sharebeer
Temperatures were in the negative teens last week when we booked our Caribbean cruise. :sharebeer
mouses

Post by mouses »

bungalow10 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:47 am
whodidntante wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:11 pm Many years ago I had a newish 1996 Honda Civic. It was incredibly basic, with an AM only radio, torture chair seats, no trunk light, no A/C, and no power steering, no power windows, and no power door locks. But the worst thing was the heater. The very fine pile of sunshine just couldn't deal with winter, and I had to park outside because I wasn't yet making garage money. One morning when it was -25 or so, I started it up, letting it run for a very long time. I couldn't get the side windows to clear, probably because the car had no detectable levels of insulation. So I decided to roll the windows down and drive to work, which was accomplished by spinning a little lever with a knob on the end. As soon as I moved the little lever, there was a clunk sound that let me know my day was about to get worse, and the window proceeded to free-fall down into the door and stay there. I decided it was time to save enough to buy a proper car.
I'm a firm believer that everyone needs a car like this (or worse) at some point in their life so they understand the luxury of a functional, reliable, somewhat comfortable set of wheels when they finally do get to an income bracket that provides for the purchase of one.
That's my 1969 Mustang you're disparaging, except the seats are comfortable and the heater works. :-) No power steering builds arm muscles and character. Also, as I noted above, if the car winds up in a pond with you in it, you can open the windows, unlike modern cars which are death traps in that situation.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

mouses wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 am That's my 1969 Mustang you're disparaging, except the seats are comfortable and the heater works. :-)
I had 1990 Civic. The heater worked, if you made the engine work. If you left it idling the heater would never warm up. My short route to work began with a five minute downhill coast. Five minutes without heat or defrost. The solution was to turn the other way at the end of the driveway and take the long way to work, which began with a mile of uphill.

The heater used waste engine heat, and the Civic was designed for efficiency. I assume in cold weather the control rules basically shut down the cooling system (at least the part that runs through the heater core) and ran the engine just enough to keep itself warm, with no thought to the passengers.