Latest generation RAM 1500's

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Latest generation RAM 1500's

Post by Keepcalm »

Looking into a 1/2 ton truck as I live in the Northeast, and have multiple winter hobbies. This will be my only vehicle and I'm really looking at the newer RAM 1500's as they caught my eye aesthetically.

I wanted to see if any of this community has been down the same path recently truck shopping or just anyone in general with the knowledge.

I have an older 2004 GMC 2500HD Diesel that I do not tow with nearly enough as I should owning a diesel. Looking to get into a gasser again.

Also who else has a truck as a sole vehicle? Thoughts?
Alexa9

Re: Latest generation RAM 1500's

Post by Alexa9 »

Anecdotally, I think Ford has the best truck right now based on several of my "truck nut" friends and reading online.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

Let me change my question to something a little more actionable.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on having a V8 truck as their only vehicle? Is it that polarized from what a BH would find practical?
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Our truck stays in the barn most of the time, it's useful for work and hauling. I find sedans much more easier and comfortable to drive. Trucks suck at gas mileage too. Around here where we live they like to drive big diesels, I guess that's makes them feel tough. Our Accord is comfy, gets great mileage and it practical 95% of the time, unlike a truck.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

How often do you use the bed? Here you can rent a truck for $30/day. They are great in the snow and safe on the highway. Not practical for commuting though.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

Keepcalm wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:00 pm Looking into a 1/2 ton truck as I live in the Northeast, and have multiple winter hobbies. This will be my only vehicle and I'm really looking at the newer RAM 1500's as they caught my eye aesthetically.

I wanted to see if any of this community has been down the same path recently truck shopping or just anyone in general with the knowledge.

I have an older 2004 GMC 2500HD Diesel that I do not tow with nearly enough as I should owning a diesel. Looking to get into a gasser again.

What exactly are you wanting to do with the RAM that you cant do with the better equipped GMC?

I have two GM trucks (older than yours that are both Diesel) and cannot think of a reason to get rid of what you have in order to get a RAM gas.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 and I love it. Drives and handles much better than my Camry. Only reason I don't drive it full time is the gas mileage. Big V8 is a gas hog.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Keepcalm wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:00 pm Looking into a 1/2 ton truck as I live in the Northeast, and have multiple winter hobbies. This will be my only vehicle and I'm really looking at the newer RAM 1500's as they caught my eye aesthetically.

When my car was in the collision shop my loaner was a recent Ram 1500 Hemi. What a fun car to drive! Reminded me of (a more comfortable version of) my '05 Mustang GT I owned a few years back. Loud, fast, exhilarating, obnoxious. The MPG was abysmal, but that's not going to worry someone in the market for one of these. Anecdotally, my family swears by the reliability of the Silverado. My uncle has had two in a row for 10 years each with minimal out of pocket expenses. They seem to put very durable parts, from the breaks and tires to the battery etc, on these trucks. Not a lot to replace under normal use conditions. I can't speak to the long term reliability of Ram trucks, but they sure are fun to drive. If your budget is in good shape to absorb the increased payment, why not?

kjvm
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

head gamez wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm

What exactly are you wanting to do with the RAM that you cant do with the better equipped GMC?

I have two GM trucks (older than yours that are both Diesel) and cannot think of a reason to get rid of what you have in order to get a RAM gas.
Well I can think of a reason. I had to park my truck in my garage with the exhaust pipe 12 inches from a white wall (there was no other way to fit it in - long story.) After many years, the wall opposite the exhaust pipe was still white. Could you have done that with your truck? I know I couldn't have done it with any of my gas engines from the '60s or '70s, and I don't think you could do it with a diesel even today.

On the other hand, I agree if your point is to get a 3/4 ton again. Because if you get a 1/2 ton, immediately you'll need a 3/4 ton for something that you can't think of today. But diesel vs. gas is a completely separate choice. There are only a small percentage of tasks a diesel can do that a gas engine can't. Even if you tow moderately heavy loads, the gas will almost always work, just maybe not go as fast up hills. And yes, gas is likely to burn more fuel under heavy load (unless you take full advantage of that extra diesel torque, at least.)

So the other option, if you're going to limit your carrying capacity anyway, is a compact or mid-sized truck. Sadly they currently cost almost as much as a half-ton, and don't get much (or any) better mileage, but they're smaller. So instead of just a couple of inches between your truck and the garage door, you might have closer to a foot - and that's a very big difference, with improvement all-around in maneuverability.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 pm How often do you use the bed? Here you can rent a truck for $30/day. They are great in the snow and safe on the highway. Not practical for commuting though.
Trucks are horrible in snow. If you add weight to the back you then have traction on the rear end but have more weight to try to stop.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Toyota Tundra. . before that
Ford, Ford, Ford, Ford.
Been driving a truck for over 35 years.
j :D
Reliability?
Possibly. . .Maybe. . . . Toyota. . Nissan. . Ford. . . GM. .. . Dodge. . .
Check consumer reports history of repairs going back many years.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

F150 driven daily. V8 version. Great in snow in my opinion, can always shift to 4 wheel drive. Great off road (have off road package) and off road on the mountain. Last truck was a frontier before that a Dakota... mid size doesn't even compare and I towed with both. Have friends with all the other model 1/2 tons including ecoboost and 4 friends with ram 2500, two have F250, and chevy 2500 each. I have driven them all. Diesels are beasts but more than I need but sometime with a trailer in the mountains I wish I had one. If i had to do it all over again i would go f150 or gmc sierra.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Leased a 2014 RAM Hemi 1500 Crew Cab 4X4 - very comfortable for 5 people and even 6 for a shorter trip. Rode very well with the rear coil spring suspension, more legroom in the back seat than most cars (Quad cab is somewhat smaller). Wasn't using the truck bed that much so gave it back and found a used 2014 Ford Expedition Limited for about 5K more than the RAM residual when the lease was up. CR doesn't rate them too highly though.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

I have a 2014 dodge ram v8 1500 4x4 big horn with towing package. Its a wonderful truck. I needed it to haul all my craft fair items, and to pick up logs.
Its one nice truck, handles wonderful.
William104

Post by William104 »

Fairly recently I switched from an F-150 V8 to the new GMC Sierra with the 6.2l V8 as I also tow a fair amount in the summer. In the process I went and drove the newer f-150's and the Rams and thought the GMC drove much nicer and the 6.2l engine is fantastic. Also the cost of the GMC loaded how I wanted was about 10k less than the same newer Ford which made the jump easy.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

"What’s everyone’s thoughts on having a V8 truck as their only vehicle? Is it that polarized from what a BH would find practical?"

Latest pick up is a 2016 Chevy Crew 4wd with the 5.3 V-8 - averaging about 18mpg on regular so far at about 15k miles. Mileage much better in the summer when not towing but in this snow and when towing the average comes down a bit. If that is acceptable to you then do it!
wmackey

Post by wmackey »

I have the 2013 Ram Express. Love it. Only downside is parking garages in major metro areas (Like DC). Have several scuff marks on the roof (but I made it fit in the parking space ;-). Get a bed cover, it will boost mileage by 1.5 to 2 MPG. If you care about mileage, don't get the more aggressive off-road tires.
GulfCoast

Post by GulfCoast »

Depending on how you option it out a RAM 1500 has the lowest payload of any full-size truck; and less than many mid-size trucks.

The F-150 with the 2.7L ECOBOOST engine is very nice; it has a generous payload and can tow quite a bit. Not a V-8 displacement but definitely in power.

Also, if aiming a little lower the GMC Canyon is very nice, with a potent 3.6L V6 under the hood.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

This market is pretty competitive. Rams seem to me to be cheap for a reason.

An 8 cylinder truck is not going to be "practical" as a daily driver. But that doesn’t mean it’s going to break you financially.

With the increased power of modern engines, you may not need an 8, either.

But go for it if you like it.

JT
Teague

Post by Teague »

I have a 2014 Ram 1500, V8, "Outdoorsman" trim crew 4WD. It tows like a dream. The multilink rear suspension rides very well (so smooth I firmed it up with a beefier rear anti-sway bar to decrease body roll.) Acceleration is great. The ZF 8 speed transmission is really the star of the show. Gas mileage straight highway approaches 19MPG. Any city-type driving drops the mileage quickly, probably about 13MPG city. Towing our 2-horse trailer (highway) gives about 13MPG also. I think all the manufacturers are making very good trucks these days. Good luck with your buying experience.
Semper Augustus
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

If I needed a truck, I'd rent one for a day

I like my Prius.
Systems Engineer
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

I wouldn't touch a chrysler product with a ten foot pole.

There's a new Silverado coming out later this year. I'd wait for that, and also consider a Ford.
wmackey

Post by wmackey »

Angelus359 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:43 pm If I needed a truck, I'd rent one for a day

I like my Prius.
Like the T-Shirt says. Death before Prius. :D
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

That's just blustering.

It's a transportation device that happens to be really comfy (the gen4 seat is amazing on my back) and has all the safety features I wanted baked in.

Show me a 40+mpg city pickup truck with automated collision avoidance and a comfortable seat under 25k new

I'll wait.
Systems Engineer
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

wmackey wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 am
Angelus359 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:43 pm If I needed a truck, I'd rent one for a day

I like my Prius.
Like the T-Shirt says. Death before Prius. :D
Prius bad in snow.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Many of my colleagues have big financed $40k trucks to tow a handful of financed snowmobiles, but for the most part they also have circa 2006 civics/accords for their 40 mile commutes (long commute to also ensure they work well into their fifties at megacorp). A used 06 Accord will run ~3k on Craigslist.

Consider looking for new-used trucks with the right tires already installed, as a lot of trucks come with cheap tires on them from the dealer that won't work well on off-road (I'm assuming u tow heavy stuff and go off-road).

One thing I never understood is how these old timers stuck at megacorp talk more about retirement than they do about their toys, yet they clearly value their toys more than retirement if they focus their spending on toys and not saving.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Toyota tundra. Pay for quality.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way