What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DrGoogle2017

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Frugal things we did in our household. My husband cleaned our bathroom yesterday. He at least saved $100.
I filed for 3 VSP forms to get back some money, maybe $400-$500. I didn’t know I signed up for vsp. I thought I didn’t. So the money back subtracts the cost is positive.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:42 pm

an_asker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:34 pm
bikechuck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:11 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 am
I read fairly fast. So I returned the books that I got from Amazon the other day for free returns.
Don't bend the spine or crinkle the pages. Return as received in brand new condition.
Most books are not worth keeping unless reference or something to gift or pass on.
I don't know if others do this.
j :D
I could not do that and I would not feel good about myself if I did.
+1!
+2
Let alone that it is being illegal too:
Types of return fraud
Wardrobing or renting: Purchasing merchandise for short-term use with the intent to return the item
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 pm

While in the laundromat I noticed a woman putting her clothes in a dryer. On the phone she told a friend she would be right over. A half hour walk was no problem. So I opened her dryer + threw my clothes in with hers. Got dryed for free. She never knew.

rhornback

Post by rhornback » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:30 pm
I walk around the house every few hours and turn off the lights in unoccupied rooms.
My too! I have teenagers. I do not think they know that the light-switch has an off setting as well as on.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 pm

bearcub wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 pm
While in the laundromat I noticed a woman putting her clothes in a dryer. On the phone she told a friend she would be right over. A half hour walk was no problem. So I opened her dryer + threw my clothes in with hers. Got dryed for free. She never knew.
This definitely transcends "frugal" and should be classified as "cheap"

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:58 pm

bearcub wrote:
Nice except when you get busted for messing with a woman's cloths and get taken in as a sex offender.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm
bikechuck wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
I read fairly fast. So I returned the books that I got from Amazon the other day for free returns.
Don't bend the spine or crinkle the pages. Return as received in brand new condition.
Most books are not worth keeping unless reference or something to gift or pass on.
Please don't tighten the "noose" too fast. :shock: (kidding)
I'm a book lover and buy a lot of books. Can't read a Kindle due to bad eyes. So a lot of books get returned and my bookshelves grow slowly.
Books are treasures to a lifetime "reader". To be cared for, treasured. Returned in pristine condition for other book lovers if they do not live up to the reviews or the print is really tiny which cannot be seen on the Amazon site. Bookstores are easier but getting rare. Thus the Amazon bookstore.
Read On.
Sorry - this is just plain wrong. I also don't get the Kindle reference as with a kindle you can make the text huge - which would be easy on the eyes vs what you get with a paperback. It is actually very comfortable to read with a Kindle.

And I've left an Amazon review - I guess that make me also a book reviewer. Hahaa.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:17 pm

This thread really is starting to blur the line between sanity and frugality ...

I make my lunch, breakfast, coffee, and only go out on wkends while turning lights off / heat + ac lower than “normal”, but some of you make me seem like a big spender

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm

njuser wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:30 pm
Luckywon wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 pm
This is yesterday but got an unsolicited mail from a charity with a dime and a penny affixed. Peeled those off and put them in my coin jar.
There are some good posts here, but I'm still giggling over this one.
I did the same thing today, I think I've done it a few times before. The solitication had a penny affixed to the letter with goo. I peeled off the penny, put it in my change jar, threw out the rest.

I've also received solicitations where the return-mail envelope had an actual stamp on it instead of being one of those "no postage necessary" permit envelopes. I've taped a little piece of paper over the return address on the envelope, wrote the remittance address of one of my bills on it, and used the envelope and stamp to mail the bill payment for free.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm

tim1999 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm
njuser wrote:
Luckywon wrote:
This is yesterday but got an unsolicited mail from a charity with a dime and a penny affixed. Peeled those off and put them in my coin jar.
I did the same thing today, I think I've done it a few times before. The solitication had a penny affixed to the letter with goo. I peeled off the penny, put it in my change jar, threw out the rest.

I've also received solicitations where the return-mail envelope had an actual stamp on it instead of being one of those "no postage necessary" permit envelopes. I've taped a little piece of paper over the return address on the envelope, wrote the remittance address of one of my bills on it, and used the envelope and stamp to mail the bill payment for free.
You still pay bills on regular mail? I’m sorry, but that’s not frugal to me. :D
I pay mine online, can’t remember when I have to mail something in. Either that I use my credit card and get some money back. It’s a win win.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:59 pm

I skipped over this thread for several days but read it out of curiosity. After Victoria's staple (winner!) and luckyone's dime and a penny this could very well be my favorite thread of the year!
If I am stupid I will pay.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 pm

bearcub wrote:
whoa
Last edited by Pinotage on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blinx77

Post by blinx77 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Worked from home (no metro fare), three homecooked meals, wore two sweaters and some thick running sweatpants and am now sitting under two blankets (house in the 60s all day). Wife returned Christmas gift I got her from Amazon for a refund and had some friends over for a kid playdate.

I did waste a bunch on kindle books the other day because I like instant gratification and don't want to carve out time for library errands.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:39 pm

bearcub wrote:
I would never mix my boys with her girls even if she were really, really hot. I'm just not that easy.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm

I shovelled my walk and driveway the old fashioned way (a shovel) instead of firing up a snow blower. That's a two hour workout for the cost of a snow shovel, and I can use the snow shovel again and again.

Since my town is more or less snowed in, I prepared and ate all my meals at home.

Since I have all my faucets dripping to prevent frozen pipes, I collected the water and used it for hand laundry. I also soaked some chick peas overnight in water and have them going in the slow cooker.

I don't have the right accessories for sub zero wind chill temperatures (which are unusual around here), so I'm knitting them with church rummage sale yarn instead of ordering online (not that UPS is delivering) or buying them (not that the roads are clear enough to drive). Frugal fun!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Church Lady wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm
I shovelled my walk and driveway the old fashioned way (a shovel) instead of firing up a snow blower. That's a two hour workout for the cost of a snow shovel, and I can use the snow shovel again and again.

Since my town is more or less snowed in, I prepared and ate all my meals at home.

Since I have all my faucets dripping to prevent frozen pipes, I collected the water and used it for hand laundry. I also soaked some chick peas overnight in water and have them going in the slow cooker.

I don't have the right accessories for sub zero wind chill temperatures (which are unusual around here), so I'm knitting them with church rummage sale yarn instead of ordering online (not that UPS is delivering) or buying them (not that the roads are clear enough to drive). Frugal fun!
Now that's a full day of frugality. Well done, Church Lady. :beer

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:06 pm

bearcub wrote:
ewww

Some things are worth a few quarters.

macheta

Post by macheta » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 pm

We got a motion sensor for the bathroom. prior, we had a lamp on all the time.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:30 am

We wanted to watch a movie tonight. Considered Wonder Woman. Comcast had it for $4.99. We have Amazon Prime through our business. It was $2.99 on prime. Saved $2. Took us far too long to figure out how to move the fire stick from one TV to the other....where are those teenagers when we need them?!?

Yep...saved a whopping $2 and 45 minutes of a steep learning curve. But...it's all good...we did it and could probably do it again.

Working the brain matter...priceless.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:04 am

Replaced the engine air filters and cabin air filter in my car by myself today. Super easy and saved probably $50 vs. having it done at a shop.

MerriebytheSea

Post by MerriebytheSea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:07 am

Our washer began leaking. I used the internet to diagnose the problem so my husband and I were able to fix it ourselves - saved money but also the down time of waiting for a repairman. A few years ago, I fixed our refrigerator by using the internet to diagnose the problem. Feels good to tap the internet for enhancing self-sufficiency.

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:31 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:06 pm
bearcub wrote:
ewww

Some things are worth a few quarters.
Gross!!!

MerriebytheSea

Post by MerriebytheSea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:53 am

mak1277 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 pm
bearcub wrote:
This definitely transcends "frugal" and should be classified as "cheap"
I disagree. Sneaking the use of something that is not rightfully yours transcends cheap. In some venues it may even transcend legal.

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:56 am

Sorry folks, but some of these ‘frugalities’ are quite disturbing. Piggybacking on another’s laundry? Knowingly purchasing and then returning books, after consuming the content? These go waaaay beyond frugal. Let’s get a grip on the ethics of our choices!

SGM

Post by SGM » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:13 am

I read a 1 day old WSJ that a friend brings for me at a local coffee shop. The day before he brought in the three prior issues. I haven't had a subscription to the WSJ in at least 5 years, but I have been receiving up to two free copies of the same issue a day late or so since then. I have two friends who save me the journal. One copy is read and the other is unfolded and unread. One is a personal copy delivered to a home, the other is paid for by a friend's employer and somehow the guy whose name is on the delivery tag is an unknown. Maybe he doesn't exist or is a former employee, but the subscription has continued for years and has always been given away.

DW and I both do the crosswords since there are two papers. She won't read the Journal unless I point out an article that she might be interested in and I pick and chose what I want to read.

When I am done with newspapers they either are recycled, burned or are used to help keep weeds down in the gardens.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 am

Afty wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:04 am
Replaced the engine air filters and cabin air filter in my car by myself today. Super easy and saved probably $50 vs. having it done at a shop.
There are actual car owners who pay someone else to replace their engine and cabin air filters?

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am

got paid for my side gig as a restaurant reviewer - for doing something I need to do anyway: eat.

I get paid to eat food that I did not have to buy, prepare or clean up from....and I enjoyed the meal.

I call that a win, win, win.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 am

Flew 200 miles instead of driving...I used points, but even the cash price was less than mileage for the round trip, and I don't have to drive 8 hours round trip.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 am

i worked at a job once where some people made less than 30K annually as hourly employees. i sat down with them at lunch one day, and ran an estimate of how much they spend on coffee/breakfast/lunch since they either order/stop and grab something on the way in every day.

for people barely taking home 20K after taxes, they were spending ~$5,000 a year [some more, some less] on a coffee/bagel/mediocre looking lunch that was often unhealthy and "not that good" over the course of the year.

All i said was "you spend about 1/4 of your net income on coffee and unhealthy mediocre "meals" that you more often than not complain about rather than actually enjoy". I thought some of their heads were gonna explode - it is crazy how much 10 bucks here, 5 bucks there adds up.

* several thanked me for bringing it to their attention - i've always been pretty good with managing money, it just blows my mind how little some people pay attention

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:20 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 am
Afty wrote:
There are actual car owners who pay someone else to replace their engine and cabin air filters?
I know it's hard to believe, but there are many car owners who don't even know that they have a cabin air filter. I changed to oil and oil filter in my airplane yesterday. The savings on that is about $150.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:30 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 am
i worked at a job once where some people made less than 30K annually as hourly employees. i sat down with them at lunch one day, and ran an estimate of how much they spend on coffee/breakfast/lunch since they either order/stop and grab something on the way in every day.

for people barely taking home 20K after taxes, they were spending ~$5,000 a year [some more, some less] on a coffee/bagel/mediocre looking lunch that was often unhealthy and "not that good" over the course of the year.

All i said was "you spend about 1/4 of your net income on coffee and unhealthy mediocre "meals" that you more often than not complain about rather than actually enjoy". I thought some of their heads were gonna explode - it is crazy how much 10 bucks here, 5 bucks there adds up.

* several thanked me for bringing it to their attention - i've always been pretty good with managing money, it just blows my mind how little some people pay attention
This is roughly 1/4 of my staff. IMO, it is none of my business to lecture them about their life and consumer choices, but they know very well that I will provide them resources or help them setup budgets or retirement accounts if they are interested. Many have taken me up on that.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:35 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:30 pm
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 am

This is roughly 1/4 of my staff. IMO, it is none of my business to lecture them about their life and consumer choices, but they know very well that I will provide them resources or help them setup budgets or retirement accounts if they are interested. Many have taken me up on that.
yeah i wasn't preaching to them, they just always asked why i never order or "always eat the same thing" (salad and some sort of meat/fish protein)

1. it's usually left over from dinner/it's actually easier than stopping on the way to work
2. it's exponentially healthier
3. it saves a crazy amount of money over a year or so [I was there for 3, so approximately 12-15K not spent on soggy cold french fries and mediocre sandwiches / refined carbs]

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Another book sold on Amazon. I got paid to get rid of my junk. It’s a pity I will be on vacation soon.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:33 pm

bearcub wrote:
Whoa! George Costanza would be impressed. Hope you didn't accidentally walk off with some of her underwear.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm
bikechuck wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Please don't tighten the "noose" too fast. :shock: (kidding)
I'm a book lover and buy a lot of books. Can't read a Kindle due to bad eyes. So a lot of books get returned and my bookshelves grow slowly.
Books are treasures to a lifetime "reader". To be cared for, treasured. Returned in pristine condition for other book lovers if they do not live up to the reviews or the print is really tiny which cannot be seen on the Amazon site. Bookstores are easier but getting rare. Thus the Amazon bookstore.
Read On.
This is what libraries are for, not Amazon.

I use the Kindle specifically because I don’t see well. I adjust the text to be big, so every book becomes a “large print” book.

Post by 2015 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:05 pm

N10sive wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:59 pm
I went to the gym today as well. Perhaps one of the least frugal things I did 10 years back was pay up front for a 4 year gym membership for something like $700 dollars, so roughly a little over 14 dollars a month. I am reaping those benefits now as the contract included 24 dollar annual fee for the rest of my life after the initial 4 year contract.
I'm jealous. I did the exact same thing in 2006 only my annual renewal after the initial $700/3 year membership ended became $79.

rhornback

Post by rhornback » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 pm

tim1999 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm
njuser wrote:
Luckywon wrote:

My wife is the big donater in our family I just give to the church. I also give of my time, I lead 5th grade Sunday school. Anyway, one time took the change sent by a company and when I did this my DW told me "Now I feel like I have to donate to them". I guess that is why they send the money to you in the mail. Seems a little odd to me to be sending me money and then asking for more money.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:40 pm

My husband and I washed our car today. Actually, he washed the car and I just admired how shiny and wonderful it looks.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:05 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Afty wrote:
My wife would, if I weren't around to do it for her. :)

Replacing the cabin air filter in my car is a huge pain, BTW. I have to remove the entire glove box and part of the dash to get to it, then I worry about breaking some plastic piece. It takes me about 30 minutes.

AddingUp

Post by AddingUp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 pm

bearcub wrote:
What's next? Living in your neighbor's house when she's on vacation?

I've been enjoying this thread, but this one brings forth lots of disdain.

My frugal thing (concerning laundry): Air drying all clothes, sheets, and towels.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:40 pm
My husband and I washed our car today. Actually, he washed the car and I just admired how shiny and wonderful it looks.
Enjoy your good weather! You obviously don't live on the East coast or Midwest. Alexa tells me it is going to 1 degree tonight!

I went to my health club, got a free bagel and coffee, then I did an hour of Yoga and Water Aerobics. Other than that I'm staying indoors and this probably saves money.

I also mailed two checks to charities that I got from Vanguard for QCDs. This will lower my MAGI and stop me going into the next bracket for Medicare IRMAA's.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 pm

Afty wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:05 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Afty wrote:
My wife would, if I weren't around to do it for her. :)

Replacing the cabin air filter in my car is a huge pain, BTW. I have to remove the entire glove box and part of the dash to get to it, then I worry about breaking some plastic piece. It takes me about 30 minutes.
According to my generation Z kid, some of her male coworkers don’t know how to properly put the jumper cable on when they were trying to jump start another car. At least mine was taught right by my husband.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Lynette wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:40 pm
Enjoy your good weather! You obviously don't live on the East coast or Midwest. Alexa tells me it is going to 1 degree tonight!

I went to my health club, got a free bagel and coffee, then I did an hour of Yoga and Water Aerobics. Other than that I'm staying indoors and this probably saves money.

I also mailed two checks to charities that I got from Vanguard for QCDs. This will lower my MAGI and stop me going into the next bracket for Medicare IRMAA's.
Thank you, the weather did warm up a little bit, high 60s, but no sun. Glad you did your work out, I finally ventured out for a walk. No more hibernation for me.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:43 pm

I purchased an Instant Pot on Amazon after reading the Instant Pot thread on Bogelheads. I used my Amazon Prime Card and saved 5%, plus I saved $10 by signing up for the automatic reloading of my gift card. So , I did spend money but got a $15 discount.

david99

Post by david99 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:43 pm
I purchased an Instant Pot on Amazon after reading the Instant Pot thread on Bogelheads. I used my Amazon Prime Card and saved 5%, plus I saved $10 by signing up for the automatic reloading of my gift card. So , I did spend money but got a $15 discount.
You'll save money using the Instant Pot since it's cheaper than heating up the oven to cook food ---- so that's an additional frugal thing that you did.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm

david99 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote:
You'll save money using the Instant Pot since it's cheaper than heating up the oven to cook food ---- so that's an additional frugal thing that you did.
Good point! Amazon is temporarily out of stock and they are shipping it at some unknown date in the future. I am anxious to get it and try it out.

NHcpa

Post by NHcpa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Today? ...today and everyday, I do not own nor do I desire a cell phone.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm

NHcpa wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:50 pm
Today? ...today and everyday, I do not own nor do I desire a cell phone.
I do not own and do not desire a landline phone. My cell phone service (unlimited voice & text only) costs $2.47/month, probably more frugal than a land line.

NHcpa

Post by NHcpa » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm

I did away with a land line years ago.. I would get rid of cable all together if it weren’t for the phone and internet. I have a family plan through my employer at $10/mo on the cell phones and still have the kids on it...and their in their 30’s. (Yes, they do reimburse me for the monthly).

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 pm

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm
david99 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote:
Good point! Amazon is temporarily out of stock and they are shipping it at some unknown date in the future. I am anxious to get it and try it out.
Instant Pot is just a brand, and the most expensive one to boot. We have this monster https://www.amazon.com/GoWISE-USA-GW226 ... B01LVZY19H (easily cooks 2 whole chickens at the same time or enough soup for an entire week of dinner for our family of 4). We just kept checking Camelcamelcamel and actually got it at nearly a 50% discount, which was cheaper than a 6qt Instantpot. Zero issues.