Roth IRA 5 year rule

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
docdaneeka

Roth IRA 5 year rule

Post by docdaneeka »

I have been slowly converting my traditional Rollover IRA from retirement to a Roth IRA. The first conversion to set up the Roth was on 30December2013. I've been making yearly conversions since then. The last one was a week ago. I'm now 68 and I retired in 2010.

When does my 5 year waiting period end? I've been reading that the clock starts ticking on the first day of the year of the first conversion. That would be 01January2013. Is my 5 years up? Can I now withdraw money from the Roth without penalty or taxation?
livesoft

Re: Roth IRA 5 year rule

Post by livesoft »

I think it ended about 8 years ago.

See: https://www.kitces.com/blog/understandi ... nversions/
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
docdaneeka

Post by docdaneeka »

Given the information from the link you provided, your glib answer doesn't make any sense.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Think of it as one Roth account. The first day you open the Roth account is what counts. This is my understanding. I did lock up in a 5 year bond or CD for the initial amount for that very particular reason.
dlw322

Post by dlw322 »

from the article

For others, the reality is that the Roth conversion 5-year rule is a moot point anyway, because they already meet another exception to the early withdrawal penalty (e.g., already being over age 59 1/2)
iceport

Post by iceport »

...deleted...
Last edited by iceport on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
mgullo

Post by mgullo »

docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:26 am Given the information from the link you provided, your glib answer doesn't make any sense.
I think livesoft is referencing this part of the linked article:
For others, the reality is that the Roth conversion 5-year rule is a moot point anyway, because they already meet another exception to the early withdrawal penalty (e.g., already being over age 59 1/2).
I'm guessing that you have not been held accountable to the early withdrawal penalty for about 8 years.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

mgullo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am
docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:26 am Given the information from the link you provided, your glib answer doesn't make any sense.
I think livesoft is referencing this part of the linked article:
For others, the reality is that the Roth conversion 5-year rule is a moot point anyway, because they already meet another exception to the early withdrawal penalty (e.g., already being over age 59 1/2).
I'm guessing that you have not been held accountable to the early withdrawal penalty for about 8 years.
For the OP It is not a moot point, because the OP asked about the 5 year rule in regards to penalty AND TAXATION. To avoid taxation on any earnings withdrawn, he must satisfy the 5 year rule for qualified distributions, which he did on 1/1/18, assuming the 2013 conversion was his first Roth account.
Topic Author
docdaneeka

Post by docdaneeka »

"Can I now withdraw money from the Roth without penalty or taxation?"

No penalty because I was 64 when I made the first conversion...got it everyone, thanks. But what about taxation on the earnings when I withdraw?
Topic Author
docdaneeka

Post by docdaneeka »

@MarkNYC:
Thank you. So my 30December 2013 conversion is indeed counted as 01January 2013? It doesn't have to been made before 15April? Any time in 2013 is good?

From the posted article, it sounds like I can only withdraw tax-free from that first conversion. Subsequent conversions each have their own 5-year rule. Is that true?
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 am @MarkNYC:
Thank you. So my 30December 2013 conversion is indeed counted as 01January 2013? It doesn't have to been made before 15April? Any time in 2013 is good?

From the posted article, it sounds like I can only withdraw tax-free from that first conversion. Subsequent conversions each have their own 5-year rule. Is that true?
5-year rule is the first time your account was open. I don’t know why you move the date from Dec 30, 2013 to Jan 01 2013,it doesn’t make sense.

No tax on earnings for Roth if you meet the 5 year rule, that’s the whole point of Roth IRA.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

perhaps you can answer your own question from the wonderful table by kawill of the fairmark.com site here:
http://fairmark.com/forum/read.php?2,63970

The general question is tricky because it involves conversion dates, your own age, age of the oldest Roth, and the previous history of withdrawals, contributions, conversions. For a specific case, the number of variables is smaller.
Last edited by kaneohe on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

All 2013 conversions are considered as made on Jan1 for the 5 year rule.

There are two types of 5 year rules: one to determine "qualified distributions" and one to determine penalties on nonqualified distributions from conversion amounts. Once you meet the 5 year rule for qualified distributions (or reach 59 1/2), the 5 year conversion rule becomes irrelevant.
Last edited by MarkNYC on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Question 1 answer:
The April 15th reference is made regarding making a Contribution, not a Conversion. You can make a Contribution up to April 15 2014 and still have it count as starting in 2013. The year associated with a Conversion is the calendar year in which it is made so "Any time in 2013 is good".

Question 2 answer:
From the article - "For others, the reality is that the Roth conversion 5-year rule is a moot point anyway, because they already meet another exception to the early withdrawal penalty (e.g., already being over age 59 1/2)"
Ace1

Post by Ace1 »

Deleted
Topic Author
docdaneeka

Post by docdaneeka »

@kaneohe: Thanks for kawill's table frome fairmark.com

From the article again:
"Unlike the 5-year rule for contributions, in the case of conversions, each conversion amount has its own 5-year time period (Treasury Regulation 1.408A-6, Q&A-5(c)), and thus with multiple conversions there may be multiple different 5-year periods underway at once. When withdrawals occur from conversion amounts, they are deemed to be withdrawal on a first-in, first-out basis under IRC Section 408A(d)(4)(B)(ii)(II), which effectively means the oldest conversions (most likely to have finished their 5-year requirement) are withdrawn first, and the most recent conversions are withdrawn last."

Given that, will I be taxed on earnings from post-2013 conversions if I withdraw them in 2018?
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am @kaneohe: Thanks for kawill's table frome fairmark.com

From the article again:
"Unlike the 5-year rule for contributions, in the case of conversions, each conversion amount has its own 5-year time period (Treasury Regulation 1.408A-6, Q&A-5(c)), and thus with multiple conversions there may be multiple different 5-year periods underway at once. When withdrawals occur from conversion amounts, they are deemed to be withdrawal on a first-in, first-out basis under IRC Section 408A(d)(4)(B)(ii)(II), which effectively means the oldest conversions (most likely to have finished their 5-year requirement) are withdrawn first, and the most recent conversions are withdrawn last."

Given that, will I be taxed on earnings from post-2013 conversions if I withdraw them in 2018?
I don’t know if I agree with the above. The following link is directly from the IRS, read the 5 year rule FAQ, why not take it directly from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/re ... h-accounts
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am Given that, will I be taxed on earnings from post-2013 conversions if I withdraw them in 2018?
No. The first question to ask is "Is the withdrawal qualified?" Since you are over 59.5 and your first Roth was opened more than five years ago the answer is yes. Qualified withdrawals are tax and penalty free, without exception. The rest of the complexity applies only to non-qualified withdrawals and have no effect on you.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Epsilon Delta wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm
docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am Given that, will I be taxed on earnings from post-2013 conversions if I withdraw them in 2018?
No. The first question to ask is "Is the withdrawal qualified?" Since you are over 59.5 and your first Roth was opened more than five years ago the answer is yes. Qualified withdrawals are tax and penalty free, without exception. The rest of the complexity applies only to non-qualified withdrawals and have no effect on you.
In support of this from the Kitces article Executive Summary:
Ultimately, being able to effectively navigate the various Roth 5-year rules creates several planning opportunities as well. For some, taking advantage of the Roth conversion 5-year rule is a way for those well under age 59 1/2 to tap their IRA funds “early” without an early withdrawal penalty. For others, the reality is that the Roth conversion 5-year rule is a moot point anyway, because they already meet another exception to the early withdrawal penalty (e.g., already being over age 59 1/2). However, in all cases, the 5-year rule for contributions must be met before any Roth earnings can actually be tapped tax-free; fortunately, though, because any first-time contribution or conversion can start the clock, clients who are concerned about the 5-year rule can make a contribution to a Roth (or to a traditional IRA and then convert it) to start the time window now, and ensure they’ll never need to worry about it in the future!
Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire »

Good information! I always thought one had to meet both the 59 1/2 year old requirement AND the 5 year requirement for tax/penalty free withdrawls. I guess I can stop creating separate Roth accounts for each calendar year... I'm up to 13 separate accounts so far (6 for her and 7 for him) :oops:
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

This is a clear and concise answer to the OP's question.

However, for complete accuracy, I would have changed the wording a bit, since the OP's first Roth account was not opened more than 5 years ago. It was opened only 4 years and 4 days ago on 12/30/13, but due to the way the 5-year holding period is measured, the OP's 5-year holding period was met on 1/1/18.
Topic Author
docdaneeka

Post by docdaneeka »

@DrGoogle2017: Your link is for contributions to designated Roth accounts. Wrong horse, so to speak.

@Epsilon Delta, Silk McCue, & MarkNYC: Thanks for the answer I was looking for concerning taxation on earnings.

From another website: "For determining qualified distributions, there is only one five-year period. This never starts over."

So...any distributions from my Roth are tax-free (principal & earnings) as of 01January 2018. The distributions have been penalty-free since inception.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread!
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am @kaneohe: Thanks for kawill's table frome fairmark.com

From the article again:

Others have already answered your question but I am trying to decipher why you asked that question to begin with. You cite the 5 yr rule conversion from some article so I am guessing you are associating earnings with each specific conversion. If that is what you were thinking, that is not correct.
The ordering rules say contributions come out first, then conversions (oldest first with some ordering within each conversion), then finally earnings...all earnings..........so earnings are not associated with any particular conversion. That means that unless you withdraw everything at once, you are unlikely to get in trouble with withdrawals esp.if you withdraw over a period of yrs. By the time you get to earnings, it is likely that you will have aged the account enough to get out of trouble.

The table was supposed to be homework. Are you over 59.5? Yes, which eliminates half of the table. Is the oldest Roth 5 y.o? There probably could be some improvement on the wording here..........others have discussed the birthdate refers to Jan 1 of the when the Roth was established....so answer should be Yes which takes you to the last entry in the table........no tax/no penalty.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

docdaneeka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:51 pm @DrGoogle2017: Your link is for contributions to designated Roth accounts. Wrong horse, so to speak.

@Epsilon Delta, Silk McCue, & MarkNYC: Thanks for the answer I was looking for concerning taxation on earnings.

From another website: "For determining qualified distributions, there is only one five-year period. This never starts over."

So...any distributions from my Roth are tax-free (principal & earnings) as of 01January 2018. The distributions have been penalty-free since inception.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread!
You didn’t read the correct one. It’s distribution from Roth account, read the 5 year rule. They shoot horses don’t they? Oops, wrong quote.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

MarkNYC wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 pm

However, for complete accuracy, I would have changed the wording a bit, since the OP's first Roth account was not opened more than 5 years ago. It was opened only 4 years and 4 days ago on 12/30/13, but due to the way the 5-year holding period is measured, the OP's 5-year holding period was met on 1/1/18.
Can you give a link from the IRS to why your above statement is correct.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Distributions of conversion and certain rollover contributions within 5-year period. If, within the 5-year period starting with the first day of your tax year in which you convert an amount from a traditional IRA or rollover an amount from a qualified retirement plan to a Roth IRA, you take a distribution from a Roth IRA, you may have to pay the 10% additional tax on early distributions.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b# ... 1000231061 see section on Roth IRA early distributions
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:09 pm

The 5-year holding period is defined in Treasury Reg 1.408A-6 Q&A-2 (this is the real horse's mouth - not IRS publications)
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:09 pm Can you give a link from the IRS to why your above statement is correct.
Pub 590b wrote: Are Distributions Taxable?

You do not include in your gross income qualified distributions or distributions that are a return of your regular contributions from your Roth IRA(s)

Other early distributions.

Unless one of the exceptions listed below applies, you must pay the 10% additional tax on the taxable part of any distributions that are not qualified distributions.
The first says that qualified distributions are not part of gross income, so are not subject to income tax. The second says that qualified distributions are excluded from the 10% penalty.

Also see Figure 2-1. Is the Distribution from Your Roth IRA a Qualified Distribution?
Pub 590b wrote: The distribution from the Roth IRA is a qualified distribution. It is not subject to tax or penalty.
I will also add that a careful reading of most accounts of taxation of Roth distributions will also confirm what I say. If you know what you're looking for it's in there, but most writers manage to bury the lede, and a lot of readers judge the importance of what is being said by the number of words, and miss the single most important sentence.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

For the OP, because he meets the 5 year rule and the age requirement all withdrawals are tax and penalty free.

Now, the issue with each conversion having a separate 5 year holding period only applies if you are under 59.5 years old and is meant to address early withdrawal penalties. I assume this was done to avoid someone from being able to convert a deductible traditional IRA contribution to a Roth then withdraw it immediately as a return of a Roth contribution with no early withdrawal penalty. A person over 59.5 could just withdraw the money directly from the traditional IRA and not be subject to an early withdrawal penalty.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

From the article again:

I’m not a tax professional. My understanding is yes, each conversion has a 5-year clock, withdrawals of amounts in their 5-year window are taxable, and you may need to have saved 5498 forms to establish the tax basis for withdrawals if you have any conversions still in their 5-year window.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

jalbert wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm

From the article again:

I’m not a tax professional. My understanding is yes, each conversion has a 5-year clock, withdrawals of amounts in their 5-year window are taxable, and you may need to have saved 5498 forms to establish the tax basis for withdrawals if you have any conversions still in their 5-year window.
As noted by Katietsu above and kawill's table cited in a link above, once you reach 59.5 y.o. (which OP is), the decision is whether the oldest Roth is
5 y.o. or not........the age of any conversions becomes irrelevant. That is to say, a different 5 yr clock is involved.

Also withdrawals of conversions are not taxable at any time since they were already taxed at conversion (or at TIRA contribution before conversion) ...tho associated earnings may be. ......and there might be a penalty

The beauty of the kawill table is that it is essentially a flow chart. Answer a few questions......age first....and the answer is essentially determined.
No thinking required (or desired since that can be dangerous :happy ) And no thousands of fuzzy words to read or deciper.
Last edited by kaneohe on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Ok, I now agree it should not be taxable. To see it clearly in an IRS publication, I think the flowchart in Figure 2.1 in Publication 590 is salient.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

jalbert wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:13 pm Ok, I now agree it should not be taxable. To see it clearly in an IRS publication, I think the flowchart in Figure 2.1 in Publication 590 is salient.
That flowchart by itself has some significant limitations:
You make a Roth conversion in 2017. In 2018 , you withdraw the full amount but the earnings are small. The flowchart suggests this is a non-qualified distribution but the words on the chart suggest possible tax/penalty on the earnings which are small. The chart doesn't tell you about the penalty on the conversion amount which can be misleading and much larger.....in other words,the chart tells the truth, but not the whole truth......
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf p.32
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

New member goofy669 has a question which I've moved into a stand-alone thread. See: Roth IRA 5 year rule - consolidating multiple accounts
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Here is the table version of the Roth Conversion chart that many here reference:

Re: Roth IRA Rules - Table Approach
Posted by: KAWill (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2010 11:57PM

Roth IRA Distribution Table

UNDER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEAR CONVERSION HOLDING PERIOD NOT MET

Contributions: Tax-No; Penalty-No
Conversions: Tax-No; Penalty-Yes (Taxable Portion)
Conversions: Tax-No ;Penalty-No (Nontaxable Portion)
Earnings: Tax-Yes; Penalty-Yes

UNDER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEAR CONVERSION HOLDING PERIOD MET

Contributions: Tax-No; Penalty-No
Conversions: Tax-No; Penalty-No (Taxable Portion)
Conversions: Tax-No; Penalty-No (Nontaxable Portion)
Earnings: Tax-Yes; Penalty-Yes

OVER AGE 59.5
LESS THAN FIVE YEARS SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA

Contributions: Tax-No ;Penalty-No
Conversions: Tax-No; Penalty-No (Taxable Portion)
Conversions: Tax-No; Penalty-No (Nontaxable Portion)
Earnings: Tax-Yes; Penalty-No

OVER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEARS OR MORE SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA

All Distributions Are Qualified
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I am hijacking this informative thread to ask an question about the 5 year rule.

I opened a Roth Contributory IRA at Schwab in 2020 made a total of $7,000 (I'm over 50) in contributions all before March 12th. In Schwab's system you are asked when you contribute to the Roth which tax year these contributions applied to and not realizing there was a 5 year rule at the time I selected 2020.

In January of 2021 I contributed another $7,000 and assigned it to 2021.

My question is since my 2020 contributions were made before tax day 2021 can I recharacterize them as 2019 contributions and then contribute another $7,000 and assign it to 2020?

EDIT: never mind. I called Schwab and was told they could only change the characterization through 6/15/2020. My good ideas come late again.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

beernutz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:03 pm I am hijacking this informative thread to ask an question about the 5 year rule.

It is really not a good idea to post on an old dead thread especially when it does not address your specific question which this one did not. When folks see it come up in active topics they open it, see the original posters comment and then begin to reply to that.

Cheers
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Silk McCue wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:46 am
beernutz wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:03 pm I am hijacking this informative thread to ask an question about the 5 year rule.

It is really not a good idea to post on an old dead thread especially when it does not address your specific question which this one did not. When folks see it come up in active topics they open it, see the original posters comment and then begin to reply to that.

Cheers
Busted by the forum police. You must be very busy.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

beernutz wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:40 am
You are most welcome.

Not very busy at all. Helping others is always a pleasure.

Cheers
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Silk McCue wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:59 am
beernutz wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:40 am
You are most welcome.

Not very busy at all. Helping others is always a pleasure.

Cheers
I don't believe I thanked you. Whatever lets you sleep at night.