Embarrassment Preventing Retirement Work: A factor for you?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Cruise

Embarrassment Preventing Retirement Work: A factor for you?

Post by Cruise »

I don't need the income, but wonder what it would be like to work various part-time jobs. I've thought about being a checkout clerk at Whole Foods or something similar. One thing that holds me back is that I've been quite successful in my community and I am certainly not anonymous. When I think about working one of these jobs, I just imagine people seeing me working and thinking to themselves (and telling others), "Hey, Cruise must not be doing too well, I saw him bagging groceries. Poor guy..."

Anyone else have/had similar concerns that restrained their choices of retirement activities?
sergeant

Re: Embarrassment Preventing Retirement Work: A factor for you?

Post by sergeant »

Several of my friends have started working part time in similar type jobs and absolutely do not need the money. They do it for socialization and having fun. One works at Home Depot and likes it. Another works slicing cold cuts at the Italian deli. They don't care what others think.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Cruise wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 am I don't need the income, but wonder what it would be like to work various part-time jobs. I've thought about being a checkout clerk at Whole Foods or something similar. One thing that holds me back is that I've been quite successful in my community and I am certainly not anonymous. When I think about working one of these jobs, I just imagine people seeing me working and thinking to themselves (and telling others), "Hey, Cruise must not be doing too well, I saw him bagging groceries. Poor guy..."

Anyone else have/had similar concerns that restrained their choices of retirement activities?
What about doing "part time" volunteer work?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

If you don't need the money, taking a paid position may prevent someone who does need the money from working in that job.

Do volunteer work instead.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

Your dilemma brings to mind the burger scene from American Beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmO9oXsTF8
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Cruise wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 am When I think about working one of these jobs, I just imagine people seeing me working and thinking to themselves (and telling others), "Hey, Cruise must not be doing too well, I saw him bagging groceries. Poor guy..."
I'm not seeing the down side of this. My preference has always been that anybody who is not a close trusted friend or immediate family member (i.e. adult children) think I'm broke and about to lose my house. Life is simpler that way.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
celia

Post by celia »

Many of the part-time jobs you can think of can be done on a volunteer basis for a non-profit. For example, if you want to try bagging food at check-out, you can volunteer at a church that distributes food to low income residents. Someone has to fill those bags before the residents come by to pick them up.

If you want to flip burgers for a while, volunteer at a group's picnic, or at the city's baseball concession stand.

Or you can help cook and deliver meals for Meals on Wheels.
You can teach people how to read at many libraries.
You can be a greeter at many civic or religious events.
You can help sell candy bars to your friends for youth groups.
The list of possibilities is quite long.

Use your "celebrity" status to help causes you care about. Your interest in a few groups will help them attract new members/donations/advertising. Every non-profit needs that. People will start to think "If Cruise is helping that non-profit, maybe I should too."
Last edited by celia on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

For me it's more that I don't want to do tasks. I'd rather learn to play a musical instrument. Life is too short for anything mundane unless you need the money.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

I know some folks who retired from their full time careers and are doing various paid and unpaid activities now. None are doing it for the money—one was wondering Jung at Costco, one working part-time at local hardware store, one reading newspapers for visually impaired, some working/volunteering for numerous nonprofits, one working on his PhD dissertation and after that working further on other historical research; the options are endless.

I honestly don’t care what othera think about my financial status and never have. I’m doung what I do because it gives me satisfaction and helps others. Others gave an array of motivations.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

I say do it, if you think such a job would be enjoyable to you. I did a mid-life career change from design engineering into sales because I always liked to meet new people. It gave me an opportunity to see things and people I would otherwise not have.

A happy sales clerk is a tremendous asset to a retail establishment. Nothing beats a smile when interacting with others.

If anyone asks you why, just tell them the truth. Tell them you needed to stay busy, and you enjoy dealing with people.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I think I understand Cruise's situation because my dad was in the same boat.

My dad was well known in my home town. He decided to take a little part-time job after retirement in between travel. However, there were endless number of nosy people who asked why someone like him needed such a lowly job. There were even rumors about "financial difficulties" and the like. He finally decided to just do some volunteer work and spend more time with grandchildren.

It is different when one is just another guy. But when one is a well known person, it is not easy to just ignore what others think because vicious rumors can have an impact on yours and your family's life.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

I think you're describing a perception problem.

It's not what others think - it's what you think they're thinking. Maybe that's what you'd think if you saw someone you knew doing the same and you're transferring that to everyone else.
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

Since you are known to be successful, you would elevate the standing and self-respect of your new work colleagues. Hopefully you would also displace an underperforming employee and make your employer more profitable.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

The good news and bad news is that if people were going to think these things of you, they were already thinking them and talking about you with their friends.... :) Many of our local businesses hire retirees and value them because they will show up for work and then actually work. I would guess there maybe some personal work identity / life behaviors that you have invested into this as well. My "problem" is that I am a well known "customer" in our small town. Every single place I shop is staffed with people I know and who know me and everyone I work with. It has good points and bad points. Do you want to know a particular persons favorite drink and how many gallons of JD Black they buy each week? It's pretty cliched small town behavior and as others have said you may need to get out and do something no matter what others think of you.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Who cares what other people think?

Do what you want to do in this regard.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Cousin Eddie

Post by Cousin Eddie »

I have thought about doing something similar when I retire. The thing that would drive me would be to be the best most friendly and helpful employee I could be. Not only to help others, but to show the young workers how to take pride and be better at their jobs, something that would be much harder to do as a volunteer. You have a lot of wisdom you can impart into the younger generation and get some of them pointed in the right direction. It's not about the money, it's about the satisfaction and attitude in your job goes a long way. You can try it out in a city away from your hometown as well. Good luck and I hope you give it a go and let us know how it turns out!
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I have always found people who retire to these kinds of jobs to be happy, friendly and emotionally secure. They are doing what they want to do and are often the highlight of the place they work. What makes you hesitate is that there are not many of them, so it feels more like the road not taken.

I say be a trailblazer in your life and take the plunge. You may actually encourage others like yourself to not be shy about doing what makes them happy. Ignore the naysayers, you’re not living their lives, your living yours. I bet you will get a more positive reaction than you anticipate.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Cruise wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 am I've thought about being a checkout clerk at Whole Foods or something similar.
In addition to dealing with the social dynamics of your friends and neighbors you will need to be sensitive to the social dynamics with your coworkers because some of them will be struggling to get by working in a job like yours and they may have few prospects of ever having a better job. It can be a bit awkward when you take off for a two week cruise when they are worrying about making this months rent payment. There will also be some coworkers who have a spouse that might have more successful careers so there will be a wide mixture of people with jobs like that.

You need to have realistic expectations if you try this.

In most positions like that the new person will have to work the least desirable shifts like evenings, weekends, and holidays so you may find it hard to find a position like that where you can work just the hours you want since those are also the time when the most staff is needed at a retail store.

Many parents with kids in school will want to work during the school day when their kids are in school so those hours may be considered real desirable and hard to get.

You may also find that at a large chain your performance will be closely monitored and they will track the metrics of how many items you scan per minute and there will be pressure to keep that rate high. You will likely be under video surveillance all the time especially if you are handling money.

That isn't to say that you won't be able to find something you like but you need to be prepared to spend some time looking for the right job and finding it may not be easy. An additional complication is that people who have worked in retail sales for a while have a pretty good idea which employers are better to work for which will make those jobs harder to get.

Something other than retail sales might work better especially compared to the big chain retail stores.

It is a bit different but I do know several people that worked as school bus drivers or school cafeteria workers as a bridge job to retirement after being laid off in their 50's. Those jobs did not pay a lot but it came with health insurance and they got summers and school holidays off so it worked well for them. At least around here they are always looking for school bus drivers since most people that need to work full time don't want the limited hours of that job.

I also know someone that is semi-retired and he works at a large chain clothing store unloading trucks and setting up the store. He says that he would rather do that than go to a gym to get a workout. A downside to a job like that is that he needs to be there at something like five in the morning.
Last edited by Watty on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

It's funny, I always had this thought experiment in my mind about what would happen if I and my colleagues (engineers and other highly educated, results oriented professionals) went to work en masse at a fast food joint.

Most of us had that type of job as teens. And the workers are usually disinterested and lack a sense of urgency.

I'm pretty sure we'd have the best performing McD's in the region.

That would bring a lot of value to the store.

Would the OP displace somebody? Sure...somebody that probably doesn't take the job seriously enough to warrant keeping it.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Cruise wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 am I don't need the income, but wonder what it would be like to work various part-time jobs. I've thought about being a checkout clerk at Whole Foods or something similar. One thing that holds me back is that I've been quite successful in my community and I am certainly not anonymous. When I think about working one of these jobs, I just imagine people seeing me working and thinking to themselves (and telling others), "Hey, Cruise must not be doing too well, I saw him bagging groceries. Poor guy..."

I understand your concern. I feel the same way. You will inevitably meet people you know who will ask all sorts of questions and generate rumors about your finances. It may be best to get a job out of the public eye, i.e. working in warehouse, deliveryman, or something that better fits your skill set on a part time basis. Of course, some of the jobs out of the public eye may not have the social interaction you would like.

IMO, volunteer work would be best. There are many opportunities to volunteer and help fulfill needs for people and ministries.

Yours is a good problem to have. Best wishes in solving it.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

My spouse worked elections for the social aspect of it and because they were desperate for poll workers. It seems that not may younger folks were interested. I got pulled into repairing and distributing the election equipment a couple of times a year as once again they could not get anyone else to do it. I also get to cruise the various polling locations on election day and visit with a number of folks. Does not pay much and I consider it to be volunteer work, like several other volunteer things we are involved in. Spouse also works at a local coffee shop for the fun of it a couple of mornings. I believe that she is likely their most productive employee. We have a couple of friends that work at a local Krogers a few days a month. I thought about it, but did not want the commitment. I had worked for Krogers over five years while in high school and college. I did inquire if my former service/retirement credits for which I get nothing, could be reactivated if I worked some and was told no, so I dropped it. Had they agreed I might have done that too.

When virtually every store has a help wanted sign in the window, I really don't see that one has to worry much about depriving someone of a job by taking a taking a low paying position that you might find fun.
timmy

Post by timmy »

This is 6 to 7 years ago. The Home Depot guy who sold us are cabinets was ~60 when we dealt with him. Through the conversation, we learned ...

He lives 3 blocks from us.

His house was 4500 sf, valued then/ now between 700k/900k.

He retired in his early 50s, got bored so picked up this work. He also does the finance/ accounting for several non profits. (Ex-finance guy.)

Helping people design kitchens gave him a creative outlet while the nonprofits kept his skills up.

He seemed very happy.

In terms of what other people think, get over it. Besides, most of what you think that they think isn't real, it is in you head. They don't actually think about you.

Go do what you want to do ...

When my last kid is out of school (age 57), I'm going to do 4 things: Winter, work at a movie theater; Summer, life guard; Drive bus of some sort to interact with random people; Teach math and science. :confused
Last edited by timmy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

carolinaman wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:36 am<snip...> IMO, volunteer work would be best. There are many opportunities to volunteer and help fulfill needs for people and ministries.

Yours is a good problem to have. Best wishes in solving it.
I've been retired just over a decade; my wife just over 5 years.

Each of us deliver through the Meals on Wheels program to elderly/disabled folks. In addition to meal delivery, my wife also participates in their Shopping on Wheels program, where she does grocery shopping for those folks that are elderly/disabled and don't have transportation to do their own shopping.

My wife also volunteers to the local No One Dies Alone program http://www.modernmedicine.com/modern-me ... ?page=full at a local hospital. The need is great as families today tend to live in far flung places and not in multi-generational homes of years gone past.

Her volunteer activities also extend to programs within her church - too many to list here.

There will always be a need to help support those that need the help. Most/all are unpaid positions. IMHO, my wife/me do get a payback when we receive a "thanks" from the many folks that for a short period of time, we help. Socialization? That's part of being with a group of like minded folks that participate in the same programs we are part of.

You don't need a paid position to get out and about. I'll also let you in on a secret; the folks you are helping don't care if you came from the gutter or a former president of a company. The important thing is that you are making a difference in their lives.

FWIW,

- Ron
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:12 am If you don't need the money, taking a paid position may prevent someone who does need the money from working in that job.

How occupying the same position but with zero salary wouldn't prevent someone who needs the money from working in that position?! Once the position is occupied, it won't be available anymore to those who needs it anyways, no?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
mouses

Post by mouses »

I know people who have retired from professional jobs and now do much lower level jobs. I've heard comments made, but it's really no one else's business.

I agree that if you don't need the money, please do volunteer work instead, as other people who could do those jobs do need the money. There are many volunteer opportunities available.
mouses

Post by mouses »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 am
CurlyDave wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:12 am If you don't need the money, taking a paid position may prevent someone who does need the money from working in that job.

How occupying the same position but with zero salary wouldn't prevent someone who needs the money from working in that position?! Once the position is occupied, it won't be available anymore to those who needs it anyways, no?
They don't mean do the old job for zero pay. They mean volunteer for meals on wheels or the local animal shelter etc.
bgf

Post by bgf »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:46 am

What about doing "part time" volunteer work?

RM
that's my vote. my grandfather volunteered at his local hospital for ~20 years after he retired.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
mouses

Post by mouses »

Carl53 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 am My spouse worked elections for the social aspect of it and because they were desperate for poll workers. It seems that not may younger folks were interested.
I think they'd get more poll workers if it wasn't a 14-16 hour day with unpaid pre-training.
MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl »

Hi, I am a long way from retirement, but when I do retire, I plan to do exactly what you are thinking about, if they will hire me. I would love to work at the small hardware store up the street from my house, or Starbucks to figure out how to replicate the pricey but delicious drinks that I love but rarely splurge on, or be a dog walker to spend the day with dogs in the fresh air. Just to do something outside of an office, something completely different.

I think your desire to do this is the sign of a curious mind. If a leader in my community chose to do this, I would think more of him, not less.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I work as an occasional substitute teacher at the local high school. It never even occurred to me to wonder about what people think--other than my students, of course.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Watty

Post by Watty »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 am It's funny, I always had this thought experiment in my mind about what would happen if I and my colleagues (engineers and other highly educated, results oriented professionals) went to work en masse at a fast food joint.

Most of us had that type of job as teens. And the workers are usually disinterested and lack a sense of urgency.

Most of them would likely be quickly be fired since most fast food places require you to do everything exactly like they tell you to, even if you think your way is better.

After a few weeks of working in a fast food restaurant at minimum wage the remaining engineers would likely have greatly optimized the process, so they could do the minimum amount of work necessary get their pay and could be even slower than the old employees.

More seriously for even minimum wage unskilled people working at McDonalds or other fast food restaurants if they hustle there is a surprising amount of advancement opportunity to get into restaurant management and earn a middle class income. It is hard work because of the hours the restaurants are open but for someone looking to get into the middle class there is more opportunity than you might think.

BTW, at the corporate and regional level McDonalds has lots of mechanical and industrial engineers and professional people to run a multi billion dollars business so I would not be quick to assume that you it would be so easy to improve on the restraunts operation.
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

I don't care what people think. When I retired I made over $100k a year and I stayed home for about a year and did all the "honey do's" then went to work part time at Lowes. I left after a year only because I couldn't get a steady shift. I am still working part time in retail because I like the socialization and I like to work. I know a lot of people just like me. I have a friend that worked full time in the medical field, making good money I'm sure but he is retired now working part time at a car dealership moving cars around. Like me the money is not the driving force.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

If you have reached retirement age and financial independence but still concerned about what other people think regarding your financial status then you have some work to do on improving your own sense of security and confidence.

As others have posted find a way to do some meaningful and active volunteer work on a regular basis. Regularly putting yourself in the service of others less fortunate than yourself will adjust your perspective and priorities and help with the insecurity issues.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

I have seen people that used to work in high paying, strong benefit jobs now working relatively menial jobs. I didn't question how they did financially, but I did think that they retired too early and got bored in retirement.

Honestly, I think that once a person retires, they should stay retired unless they need the money. It doesn't make sense to me to leave a high paying position, retire, and then go work a menial job. But that's just my opinion.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Watty wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:19 am
BTW, at the corporate and regional level McDonalds has lots of mechanical and industrial engineers and professional people to run a multi billion dollars business so I would not be quick to assume that you it would be so easy to improve on the restraunts operation.
I don’t know. I recently bought a dollar cheese burger for my son at a McDonald’s drive-through and when we got home discovered that there was no burger, just bun and cheese! LOL
:oops:
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

An acquaintance of mine was a school crossing guard until he passed away. Before that, he was Number 2 at an oil company that he helped build from scratch. Great guy. He drove his big Mercedes every school day to park near his crosswalk. Quite a guy.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

+1
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Please note that if you are working, you are not retired. If you are volunteering, you can still be retired. Why do people want to screw up retirement with work? Just don't retire and keep on working if that is what you enjoy.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Watty wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:19 am
investingdad wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 am It's funny, I always had this thought experiment in my mind about what would happen if I and my colleagues (engineers and other highly educated, results oriented professionals) went to work en masse at a fast food joint.

Most of them would likely be quickly be fired since most fast food places require you to do everything exactly like they tell you to, even if you think your way is better.

After a few weeks of working in a fast food restaurant at minimum wage the remaining engineers would likely have greatly optimized the process, so they could do the minimum amount of work necessary get their pay and could be even slower than the old employees.

More seriously for even minimum wage unskilled people working at McDonalds or other fast food restaurants if they hustle there is a surprising amount of advancement opportunity to get into restaurant management and earn a middle class income. It is hard work because of the hours the restaurants are open but for someone looking to get into the middle class there is more opportunity than you might think.

Actually what I meant was... our professionalism, attitude, attention to detail, and willingness to ensure things are done correctly and safely the first time would greatly enhance the functionality of the store and customer experience.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

If you are handy, working at ace hardware or another "real" hardware store might be fun part time retirement work. Yes I know that many wouldn't consider ace hardware "real" but its definitely more a step in the right direction than the big blue and orange boxes.
Runner01

Post by Runner01 »

I would feel sorry for those people if they started gossiping about you working a part time job. What sad insignificant lives they must live.
Cody

Post by Cody »

As a former, now retired, teacher I felt pressure to get out of Dodge and ride into the sun set. "Why would anyone keep working when you can retire" was the mantra. Then latter as a substitue teacher I felt that some people wondered quietly "Doesn't this guy have a life"

Best
Cody
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I have considered doing stuff like this as a retirement job. The money doesn't matter but nice to keep social. One buddy works at the golf course. He makes a few bucks and golfs for free! Have also thought about driving for Uber as I just think it would be fun.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

LarryAllen wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 am He makes a few bucks and golfs for free!
I was just talking about this (doing xyz for free in retirement) with my wife last night. I sincerely hope that I have enough in retirement, and have the mental stamnia, that I can do essentially whatever small dollar thing that I want to do without batting an eye and without worrying about whether it is free or not.

It seems to me that a lot of retirees that I know spend a lot of energy talking about how much things cost and what is free versus what is not free, and only wanting to do the free things in life (regardless of their actual net worth). To me, the reason why I am saving today is that someday I can do what I want without worrying about what it costs.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

I ran into one of you guys once at a state mental hospital in Napa, CA. He was taking fingerprints and doing intake for volunteers.

Evidently he was a retired highly successful lawyer just doing it for fun :).

Attitude made all the difference. You could tell he was happy to be there and of his own will. Never shy away and always engage with everyone you see. People who are truly embarrassed shy away from contact and will avoid others. Be the sunshine!
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I retired in July of 2017 and my spousal unit retired in December. I would consider a part time job at some point and I would care less about what others think about it. It would have to be something that I enjoy, the income would be a nice cushion but would not in any way change our lifestyle or long term prospects.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP here. Many thanks for all your insights. Please keep them coming!

For those suggesting volunteer work, I do some of that already, but that is mostly related to being on agency boards. I have thought about various other types of volunteer work that would not involve leadership roles, and that seems appealing.

For those suggesting that I have self-esteem issues that cause me to care about what others think: Welcome to my life! A caring perspective had a lot to do with my business/professional success, but like every trait, there are upsides and downsides.

For those who wonder why someone like me retired yet want to find a job: My business was successful, but stressful. I sold it to find equilibrium. Does not mean I don't want to be productive, just not "in charge" and liable if things go south.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. I'd love to hear what barriers have interfered with others who have had to face decisions on what they did as a retiree.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Two successful military friends retired from active duty, one went to work as a handy man and teacher at Home Depot, the second one went to work at a Walmart warehouse, I had never seen my friends happier, and money had nothing to do with their decision. Lesson learned, do whatever you desire to do and good luck. Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

If I were to work as a checkout clerk, I'd be more concerned that people think that I don't have imagination than that I don't have money.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

If you don't need the money, find something else to do. Bagging groceries has to suck.

If you're really THAT bored, I'm thinking, "poor Cruise can't find anything to do but work."
Funding secured