wireless earbuds for exercise - airpods or ??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sambb

wireless earbuds for exercise - airpods or ??

Post by sambb »

Does anyone have a recc for a wireless earbud setup for workouts? I have an iphone and the apple airpods are revolutionary of course. But seeking to see if anyone has tried bose or others. Seems that sync with video is a big deal for some. Note, this is not headphones - just earbuds.
Agent007

Re: wireless earbuds for exercise - airpods or ??

Post by Agent007 »

Look into bone conduction headphones. The biggest issue for me with regular headphones and even Bluetooth headphones is that they fallout of my ears all the time - particularly when running. With bone conduction this isn’t an issue.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

My requirements for Bluetooth headphones are that they have to have good sound, good fit, and that I can advance or repeat songs and adjust volume right on the headphones without having to touch my smartphone or watch. That's why I like my SoundPEATS Wireless Headset Stereo Neckband.

TravelforFun
exigent

Post by exigent »

Check out Bluetooth headphones from Taotronics on Amazon. They are about $25 and work great. I (and others in my family) wear them while working out and they never fall out.

You can also skip, change volume, etc from the headphones.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I have the bose wireless earbuds. They are outstanding. Sounds quality is good. Most important, they don't fall out of my ears whenever I run. I routinely shoot basketball with them in my ear and jump rope a lot and never had a problem with them falling out of my ear.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

TravelforFun wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:38 pm My requirements for Bluetooth headphones are that they have to have good sound, good fit, and that I can advance or repeat songs and adjust volume right on the headphones without having to touch my smartphone or watch. That's why I like my SoundPEATS Wireless Headset Stereo Neckband.

TravelforFun
I was not familiar with these so I googled it. What keeps that neck thing from bouncing around while running?
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

toofache32 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:42 pm
TravelforFun wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:38 pm My requirements for Bluetooth headphones are that they have to have good sound, good fit, and that I can advance or repeat songs and adjust volume right on the headphones without having to touch my smartphone or watch. That's why I like my SoundPEATS Wireless Headset Stereo Neckband.

TravelforFun
I was not familiar with these so I googled it. What keeps that neck thing from bouncing around while running?
They would be under my shirt.

TravelforFun
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I bike 40 miles with AirPods. I also use them on elliptical watching itunes movies (have not noticed delay, Netflix might be different). DW jogs with them. Work great.

Disclosure: I’m biased in favor of Apple.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Bose Soundsport Pulse + great sound and fit
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
fleckmc

Post by fleckmc »

I am a fan of he Samsung Iconx ear buds. My wife gave them to me for Christmas this year and I absolutely love them. Some of the key benefits from my perspective:
  • Battery life about 7 hours
  • Never fall out of my ear
  • Has 4 GB internal memory, don't even have to use Bluetooth
  • You can locate them by asking Google where they are
  • Has capability to start, stop, repeat, jump to next song, raise and lower volume, and manipulate training program from the ear piece
  • If you really wanted to, rather of the ear buds can be the master, giving you 14 hours of play time if used independently
Downsides
  • I hear that they don't play as well with Apple products as they do with Samsung
  • The version before 2018 had garbage battery life
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Check out Bragi.

I believe their earbuds are called The Dash.
Mid-40’s
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I’ve been running in my AirPods for a year. They are my favorite gadget. I use them with my iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. And beyond the performance of the AirPods, I’ve never had a pair of headphones of any sort hold up to a year of sweat. I sweated through a couple pair of Jaybirds before demanding my money back.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

The airpods dont fit my ear. If the wired versions are good for you then go for it. The sound wa never good either.

For me the bose soundsport plus as someone mentioned are great. Theyre so good i got one for the two of us.

There have been reports of sync idsues w video or poor connecticity. I got mine later than my wife and havent had these issues but she does.
If you get it now i think youll be fine.
Cash

Post by Cash »

I like my AirPods, but I got these attachments to make sure they stay in my ear. Work like a charm and used them recently during a half marathon without a problem.
wrl

Post by wrl »

Airpods are the best I have used, don't fall out, sync quick and sound great.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

AirPods are really awesome. Best Apple product in years.
Wtlutz

Post by Wtlutz »

Airpods have been perfect for me. Have never fallen out while running. They sound great and no issues with syncing.
Topic Author
sambb

Post by sambb »

Cash wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:18 am I like my AirPods, but I got these attachments to make sure they stay in my ear. Work like a charm and used them recently during a half marathon without a problem.
OMG awesome - thanks for this! It looks like airpods are the best way to go. Apple produces amazing gear.
Braumeister

Post by Braumeister »

wrl wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:36 am Airpods are the best I have used, don't fall out, sync quick and sound great.
Agreed. Best new product I've bought in years.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Are the airpods waterproof? For those who run in the rain?
avenger

Post by avenger »

Another vote for AirPods. Love them.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

AirPods. I've gone for 2-3 hour runs in intermittent rain with them, no problems. They handle long workouts with lots of sweat running down my brow/ getting into the ears, no problem. They have never fallen out, to my surprise, even weightlifting/putting my head at odd angles (incline/decline bench press, etc).

My only problem is sometimes I spend hours with one in, listening to a podcast or ready to take a call - then slip it into my pocket and have to remember where I left that pod.

The pairing is brainless - when not in my car. In my car, the stereo receiver sometimes take precedence over my AirPods, despite the bluetooth order being lower than the AirPods.

If apple headphone fit isn't to your liking, try any other headset with the W1 chip for the Apple "it just works" experience.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Another vote for AirPods. Easy pairing. Easy to use with another iDevice. I think the AirPods probably feel like they fit better than corded EarPods because there is no cord pulling on the pod. Using the case, they can charge from a very low state (10-15%) to 75-80% in 15-20 minutes. I have no complaints.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

toofache32 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am Are the airpods waterproof? For those who run in the rain?
Not officially. But unofficially? Yes. I've gone for many long runs and rides in the rain, and on hot summer runs where I ring my shirt out afterwards. I've had mine for 11 1/2 months without issue.
gostars

Post by gostars »

I'm happy with these from Taotronics. They get decent battery life, pair with 2 devices, and I've used them with multiple different devices (Android 7/8 phone, Fire HDX tablet, iPad Mini 4) with Netflix and Amazon video and have seen no sync issues. As nice as AirPods might be, they're way too expensive for something that I'm probably going to lose or break within 2 years. I can replace mine 5 times and still come out ahead of what a single pair of AirPods costs.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

After trying out various Bluetooth types over a few years, I've come back to cheap wired headphones, currently the SOWAN S2 Over-Ear In-Ear Noise Isolating Sweatproof Sport Headphones.
There are two reasons for this. Most BT headphones I have used have the irritating habit of going dead during long runs (OK, probably my fault for not charging every couple of days), and most headphones in general don't stand up to sweat and rain for more than 4 months. Also, many BT headphones just look weird and bulky. The behind the neck cable seems to pull one way or another. I'm an Apple person, but would simply lose or misplace an AirPod. I have found that I like the physical attachment to my music player, in the event that it gets dropped somewhere as well.

I don't take phone calls when I workout, wouldn't use the workout headphones for anything else, and find that the simple over the ear loop is the lowest profile most dependable and trouble-free overall.
robolove

Post by robolove »

Erato RIO3 - garbage. Five pairs in six months.

Switched to the Bose soundsport free. Pricey. So far, so good.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

gator15 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:31 pm I have the bose wireless earbuds. They are outstanding. Sounds quality is good. Most important, they don't fall out of my ears whenever I run. I routinely shoot basketball with them in my ear and jump rope a lot and never had a problem with them falling out of my ear.
Second. Highly recommended.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

I bought PowerBeats at Apple Store.They were outrageously expensive. I like that they stay in place on my ear and are not as large and bulky as my prior behind-the-neck Bluetooth head phones. The AirPods looked like they would keep falling out. There is a short wire between the pair ear pieces and since I have a beard the wire is under the chin and stays there. It has the typical controls of a wired Apple ear bud. About 12 hrs between charges.