Antivirus Software Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KNMLHD

Antivirus Software Recommendations

Post by KNMLHD »

With all the news of cyber breaches at Equifax, recent, repeated articles re: Kaspersky AV being a backdoor...

Any expert suggestions out there?

In the past I've poo-poo'd Norton and McAfee because they invariably slowed down machines to a crawl.
midareff

Re: Antivirus Software Recommendations

Post by midareff »

I've been using Malwarebytes Premium which covers anti-virus and anti-exploit for several years on top of Windows Defender. System is Win 10 64 bit and it runs mighty fast. It does a good job of blocking PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) which can download from sites to track your patterns for advertisers unknown to the casual user. We run it on 3 machines and I use it on a fist full of Android devices.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

midareff wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:23 am I use it on a fist full of Android devices.
I should look at this. I normally do a factory reset every six months on my Android devices just to clean up the inevitable conflicts between apps and the OS updates so it may not be as critical for me.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I've found this site to be particularly useful in assessing alternatives. These people test under various operating systems (you'll see selections for Mac, Windows and Android; then you'll pick exact version). Tests are pretty extensive, but are nicely summarized as to performance, protection and usability. They cover a lot of different software packages and update results frequently:

https://www.av-test.org/en/

Currently on our Windows 10 systems, I use the combo of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on one machine, and McAfee and Malwarebytes on the other. All are free for me - isp supplies McAfee, Defender is supplied with Windows and Malwarebytes has a free version (the premium version does real-time scanning). So both of our machines function well and have never been infected (could be luck, could be skill and care, could be software). Neither experience performance issues. I have also used Norton, AVG and Avast in past years, also functioned well for me on Windows 7 and earlier systems. I would use them again based on current characteristics.

I don't use anything on Android at the moment, just exercising care in app selection and Google's app scanning feature.

Beware of recommendations and warnings for these packages that are not fairly current. This stuff changes constantly.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

You may be better served getting an opinion from a professional reviewer.
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp
or
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/antivirus
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Windows Defender is all you need. I run Symantec at work because I need the centralized policy management and reporting. But all my personal machines, and those of my friends/family, just use Defender.
pangea33

Post by pangea33 »

I've been running Avast for years. Free, small footprint, fully featured, frequent updates. It will pop open a screen every couple months encouraging me to upgrade to a paid version. Some day I probably will. Until then, I am willing to close a window 6x a year.

https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 am Windows Defender is all you need. I run Symantec at work because I need the centralized policy management and reporting. But all my personal machines, and those of my friends/family, just use Defender.
Same here. Good computing hygiene is more important than threat detection IMO. I manage 40-50 laptops for a non-profit activity and Defender is all we use.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

review: Microsoft Windows Defender Security Center
"Windows Defender is better than nothing ..."
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1926596,00.asp

Post by 2015 »

pangea33 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:29 am I've been running Avast for years. Free, small footprint, fully featured, frequent updates. It will pop open a screen every couple months encouraging me to upgrade to a paid version. Some day I probably will. Until then, I am willing to close a window 6x a year.

https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
+1
Avast has banking mode which I use to access financial sites. The free version has a host of other features which I like as well.
Momus

Post by Momus »

360, it uses multiple engine detection: Avira and Bitdefender. It has more detection rate than most anti virus out there.

Fyi: I previously use Avast, but switched to total security 360. More protection.
MrGreen

Post by MrGreen »

Like the OP I have a negative opinion of Norton and McAfee due to slowness when I used them many years ago. I abandoned Kaspersky several years ago because I was uncomfortable trusting a Russian company with something as potentially invasive as antivirus software. Problem is, many of the other anti virus companies are Eastern European/former Soviet countries and I just don't know who can be trusted these days. I ended up using Sophos (a UK company, I stopped using Windows computers a few years back) but maybe it's time to have another look at Norton or McAfee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... s_software
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I have Windows Defender and Malwarebytes free version on my Windows 10 system. I have Microsoft Security essentials and Malwarebytes free version on my ladyfriend's Windows 7 system. This pair works well because once in a while one of them finds something the other one missed.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I use Eset and Malwarebytes (free version).
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Overall, there's a surprising number of competent options, starting with the basic protection level of Windows Defender. Even the free versions of most 3rd party AV programs are sufficient for most users, so the recommendations of publications like PCMag and your own preferences for user interface are an adequate combined basis for making a decision. The for-pay suites do add some extra protection, but your basics are covered even if you stick with a good free program.

As for my specific input:

I just bought a new laptop that had McAffee pre-installed. Since it was there, I let it be for a couple days to see if it has gotten better since I last tried it. It might be less resource intensive than in the past, but it disrupted by work too much with pop-up notifications or ads for upgrades. It had to go.

I went with AVG Free, which I've been using on other computers for years. It is still one of the top rated free anti-virus programs available. I think they've been getting a lot less attention lately simply because their for-pay upgrade suite isn't as well-liked as the competition. There has been minor intrusiveness creep, and you have to do a custom install to prevent the browser plug-in from installing - their browser plug-in has historically been a bit too intrusive, and a plug-in is complement to, not a substitute for safe browsing habits, but overall the use experience is pretty reasonable.

Because not all forms of malware are targeted by basic anti-virus software, a malware scanner like Malwarebytes can be a beneficial extra layer of protection. It usually comes down to basic products like Malwarebytes Free that can run system scans on demand or on a schedule and have almost no ongoing resource demands, or premium products like those bundled in many for-pay AV suites that often include real-time monitoring, but with more system resource demand.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Norton Security Suite (free from Xfinity if you have internet service through them). It has a suite of programs called Constant Guard that's pretty comprehensive and has worked well for me for many years, on Windows 7. No antivirus or anything on MacOS.

Updated with a review link: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469519,00.asp
Last edited by investor4life on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Windows Security Essentials (Defender).
Malwarebytes periodically as needed.

TBH, there is no AV product that will save you from yourself.

I've used Avast in the ancient past, but once MS released a free & technically equivalent solution, it didn't make much sense to stick with it. Also, Avast purchased Piriform in July, who makes CCleaner, and they just disclosed their product was hacked & backdoored for some time. FYI.
Topic Author
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

I do happen to be a Malwarebytes premium user as well as a complement to my anti-virus choice (still currently Kaspersky), not to mention have ad blocking plugins, always use https, etc etc.

Interestingly enough, several respected security sites are hesitant to pull the plug on Kaspersky. While they don't recommend if you work for the government or a government contractor, they say it's still the one of, if not the best option for the "average joe".

And I'm not naive enough to think our government doesn't/has the ability to take advantage of backdoors (whether intentionally placed, or inadvertently discovered) in US AV mfg packages.

In the past I relied on Defender. Once I switched to Avira, it found several items Defender missed, and same thing happened after switching to Kaspersky. From the aforementioned site, it and Bit Defender (Romania) are consistently rated 1-2 in terms of detection, especially in the 0 day category.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

Av-comparatives and av-test are the data sources to go by

Admittedly I use Windows defender and malware bytes because I don't want to pay.

The best av is common sense, and an adblocker

I use
Privacybadger
Ublockorigin
Systems Engineer
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I use Norton Internet Security - yes there are moments when its overhead is annoying (copy a large # of small files is slowed down by Norton); I still prefer it. Along with Malwarebyte premium. Perhaps the most important is to keep Windows and other critical programs updates (I run qualsys to check twice a week).

Windows defender is consistently the lowest rated; but it still is leagues above using nothing.
I also use a password manager, and 2FA or U2F when available.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

jebmke wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am
lazydavid wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 am Windows Defender is all you need. I run Symantec at work because I need the centralized policy management and reporting. But all my personal machines, and those of my friends/family, just use Defender.
Same here. Good computing hygiene is more important than threat detection IMO. I manage 40-50 laptops for a non-profit activity and Defender is all we use.
Add me to this list. I only use Windows Defender on my Windows machine.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Watty

Post by Watty »

investor4life wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 pm Norton Security Suite (free from Xfinity if you have internet service through them). It has a suite of programs called Constant Guard that's pretty comprehensive and has worked well for me for many years, on Windows 7. No antivirus or anything on MacOS.

Updated with a review link: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469519,00.asp
When I had U-verse they provided McAfee for free.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Currently I have paid subscriptions to malwarebytes premium surf right hitman pro and mcafee suite. They say not to double up but I do anyway. I have mcafee out of convenience and I don’t feel like switching every year trying to get something free. I think I paid $30 and got licenses for all devices.

Over the years I have heard people recommend the Microsoft built in products for antivirus but when I used them I don’t recall them EVER detecting anything at all.

I’ll also add browser add ons for bit defender traffic light and WOT.
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I used to use other products because Norton was slowing my machine down terribly. Then a few years ago, I read about Norton rewriting their antivirus engine. So I gave it a shot again, and I see no noticeable impact to my performance with it running. I don't use their full suite of tools though, that I have heard can have impacts.

I pay $30 a year to cover our machines, with licenses to spare.
Rashen

Post by Rashen »

Been on free edition of AVG for years and never had any issues.
The key is not to visit the fishy websites.
carofe

Post by carofe »

Another vote for Malwarebytes Premium. I recommend you have a backup system setup as well, like https://www.backblaze.com/
Last edited by carofe on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

If you are an Ally bank customer you can get Webroot SecureAnywhere for free. I have it on my Macbook Air & Windows 10 PC and am very happy with it so far.
drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 »

+1 just use Windows Defender. 3rd party antimalware products can often WEAKEN the security of your system.

And there is no single antimalware program that will protect you 100%. You also need to exercise safe computing practices, like being careful about email attachments and running an ad blocker on your web browser.... uBlock origin is the best.
mac808

Post by mac808 »

Don't trust Kaspersky or 360 because of the (Russian and Chinese) Government connections. I don't like Defender because I want separate providers for the OS (Microsoft) and the anti-virus software. I've used AVG for years and haven't run into any problems yet.
gd

Post by gd »

I used Norton because it was free with my Comcast internet. It destroyed my Windows 10 system during a Norton-initiated update 6-9 months ago, demanding more and more reboots and updates and a complete Norton reinstall until I finally got a Windows failure screen I've never seen before. It required a complete system reinstall from scratch. I have no idea what caused it (other than Norton, that was clear), never seen or heard of anything like it.

It resulted in permanent loss of some files when the Windows 10 backup and restoration system didn't provide recovery from backups as I'd expected. Some of the recovery problems may have been avoidable if I'd done exactly the right restoration process, but, well, do you know exactly all the detailed ins and outs of your backup utilities to where you can do it perfectly the first time? I now use Windows Defender, and my PC avoids the Norton slowdowns it was prone to.

I'll give Norton credit for cleaning out 5+ years of PC clutter. Any data important to me is stored in directories that I manually copy to both USB drives and external hard drives periodically, and I no longer worry about cryptic backup utilities. I let W10 file history run to an external drive, but have never used it since.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

JBTX wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:31 pm Currently I have paid subscriptions to malwarebytes premium surf right hitman pro and mcafee suite. They say not to double up but I do anyway. I have mcafee out of convenience and I don’t feel like switching every year trying to get something free. I think I paid $30 and got licenses for all devices.

Over the years I have heard people recommend the Microsoft built in products for antivirus but when I used them I don’t recall them EVER detecting anything at all.

I used to use WOT until about a year ago; when WOT was found to be selling a great deal of information about its users.

https://thehackernews.com/2016/11/web-o ... addon.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/we ... _data.html
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/1 ... y-failure/
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trust-ad ... 44249.html

Firefox pulled WOT for awhile. I am not sure if they have fully corrected.
When I looked a few months ago, I saw the following in the protection policy
"If you want to protect your data, disable the real-time protection!"

Until I feel comfortable that they are no longer selling identifiable information, I won't use WOT
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

BHUser27 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:12 pm If you are an Ally bank customer you can get Webroot SecureAnywhere for free. I have it on my Macbook Air & Windows 10 PC and am very happy with it so far.
appears it has no firewall, have you configured your devices for that?

from reading it doesn't seem like a 'complete' solution and one would have to supplement it w/ browser addons or other programs (like privacy protection for not being tracked online etc).
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

On the few windows machines we run, windows defender is all we use.

Personally, I've used a Mac since 2013, and have never worried or thought about viruses.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Rashen wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm Been on free edition of AVG for years and never had any issues.
or you've had issues but are unaware of them as the software isn't detecting the issue.

If I had a machine I only used for surfing the web and 'play', AVG would be great. But when accessing financial sites etc.....
well, in todays world, one gets what they pay for :(
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

F150HD wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 am
BHUser27 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:12 pm If you are an Ally bank customer you can get Webroot SecureAnywhere for free. I have it on my Macbook Air & Windows 10 PC and am very happy with it so far.
appears it has no firewall, have you configured your devices for that?
from reading it doesn't seem like a 'complete' solution and one would have to supplement it w/ browser addons or other programs (like privacy protection for not being tracked online etc).
In my opinion, firewall SW *should* be separate. And, yes, I have firewalls configured on my router and computers.
FWIW - it includes real-time protection, browser plug-ins for all major browsers and scheduled scans. If you are an Ally customer it is darned good protection for free. I have had no issues with slow-downs nor lock-ups.
Webroot has a good reputation. It was one of a few antivirus SWs that detected the malware recently linked at Equifax for example.
Works well for me - Of course, I encourage all to do their own research.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Rob5TCP wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 am
JBTX wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:31 pm Currently I have paid subscriptions to malwarebytes premium surf right hitman pro and mcafee suite. They say not to double up but I do anyway. I have mcafee out of convenience and I don’t feel like switching every year trying to get something free. I think I paid $30 and got licenses for all devices.

I used to use WOT until about a year ago; when WOT was found to be selling a great deal of information about its users.

https://thehackernews.com/2016/11/web-o ... addon.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/we ... _data.html
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/1 ... y-failure/
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trust-ad ... 44249.html

Firefox pulled WOT for awhile. I am not sure if they have fully corrected.
When I looked a few months ago, I saw the following in the protection policy
"If you want to protect your data, disable the real-time protection!"

Until I feel comfortable that they are no longer selling identifiable information, I won't use WOT
I did read about the kerfuffle with WOT. Ultimately I figured the value I get evaluating sites exceeds giving up web surfing history anyway as that is probably out there anyway unless you continually use stealth mode.
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff »

I used to use VIPRE. I guess it did okay, but I found it to be clunky and complex to use. For the past three weeks, I've been playing around with a 30-day free trial of Bitdefender, and I've been liking it enough that I went ahead and purchased it over the weekend. What I like about it: full-featured with a light footprint. User friendly interface. Easily customizable scanning schedules. Email protection. Several interesting privacy features, including the ability to create multiple hidden/encrypted files in an encrypted vault, a secure file shredder, a dedicated safe browser to use when accessing banking or investment sites including (for the truly paranoid) an optional virtual keyboard to get around keyloggers, a secure "wallet" to store passwords and auto fill sites when using the safe browser. During a few of the first scans it did, it pointed out several security details about my computer that I'd either forgotten about or was lazy about and have since corrected. So far, so good...
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

cutterinnj wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:50 am On the few windows machines we run, windows defender is all we use.

Personally, I've used a Mac since 2013, and have never worried or thought about viruses.
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

Windows Defender? Nope
Earlier this year the Windows Defender program built into Windows 10 evolved, like a Pokemon. It's now called Microsoft Windows Defender Security Center, because in addition to antivirus protection it manages Windows Firewall and other Windows security features, but it doesn't truly qualify as a suite. Its independent antivirus test scores, which have literally come in below zero in the past, have been steadily improving, but they're still not great. And it earned a dismal score in our hands-on malware protection test. Don't even think about using this free buit-in as a substitute for a security suite.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

F150HD wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:25 pm
cutterinnj wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:50 am On the few windows machines we run, windows defender is all we use.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

Windows Defender? Nope
Earlier this year the Windows Defender program built into Windows 10 evolved, like a Pokemon. It's now called Microsoft Windows Defender Security Center, because in addition to antivirus protection it manages Windows Firewall and other Windows security features, but it doesn't truly qualify as a suite. Its independent antivirus test scores, which have literally come in below zero in the past, have been steadily improving, but they're still not great. And it earned a dismal score in our hands-on malware protection test. Don't even think about using this free buit-in as a substitute for a security suite.
The linked PCMag article is consistent with Neil Rubenking's position for years. Defender has changed and improved substantially, but Rubenking's position has not. I think it's important to keep in mind that Rubenking writes for a publication that depends on advertising for its revenues; look at the list of anti-virus products in the review and you will see almost every one is a commercial product with a $30 - $90 price, which advertise in PC Magazine; Defender does not advertise, since it is a part of the operating system, so PC Mag gets no money from it. Organizations that do not depend on advertising, like av-comparatives (https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-cont ... 017_09.pdf) rate Defender in the top tier. I have used Defender for years and never had a virus reach the computer. Every month or so I run a Malwarebytes scan just to be on the safe side, and it has never found anything.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I use the premium version of AVG Internet Security. I also had the premium version of Malwarebytes until the most recent version of AVG. When AVG was updating, it informed me that the update would not install unless I uninstalled Malwarebytes. My computer guru confirmed that the conflict was real. I uninstalled Malwarebytes. Fortunately, I was able to cancel my Malwarebytes subscription before it automatically renewed. When I cancelled it, Malwarebytes asked why I was cancelling. I typed in that there was a conflict with AVG Internet Security. Since they didn't respond, I assume Malwarebytes is aware of the conflict.

DMW
squirm

Post by squirm »

Windows Defneder is good enough, just don't click on links in emails and stay away from naughty sites, you'll be fine.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Windows Defneder is good enough, just don't click on links in emails and stay away from naughty sites, you'll be fine.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Last edited by F150HD on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKBTX14

Post by AKBTX14 »

Avira - on 3 desktops and 3 laptops.

Malwarebytes - along with Avira. Newegg has Malwarebytes Premium version 3 user/1 year licenses on the sale couple of times a year. I grabbed 3 lifetime versions/licenses few years back.

CCleaner Free - for regular cleanup and registry cleaning.

The combination of these 3 has not given me any problems. And I have them for as long as I can remember.

Cloudbackups since 2010. Then 8 TBs are synced daily locally on dedicated HDs as well (only new files). OS HDs are cloned monthly on separate HDs. 8-)
ViperAttacks

Post by ViperAttacks »

I use Malwarebytes as my antivirus and GlassWire https://www.glasswire.com/ as a personal firewall to allow/deny new unknown connections as an extra safeguard. :beer
Rashen

Post by Rashen »

F150HD wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:55 am
Rashen wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm Been on free edition of AVG for years and never had any issues.
or you've had issues but are unaware of them as the software isn't detecting the issue.

If I had a machine I only used for surfing the web and 'play', AVG would be great. But when accessing financial sites etc.....
You knew it...
FREE AVG missed malware. TWICE. Once when it uploaded on the computer, and secondly - the scan did not reveal anything. (I guess you get what you pay for).
purchased webroots about a month ago - less than $20 for three licenses for a year.
super light, starts up before other stuff does and 100% unnoticeable.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Rashen wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 am
F150HD wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:55 am

You knew it...
FREE AVG missed malware. TWICE. Once when it uploaded on the computer, and secondly - the scan did not reveal anything. (I guess you get what you pay for).
purchased webroots about a month ago - less than $20 for three licenses for a year.
super light, starts up before other stuff does and 100% unnoticeable.
Frustrating. Webroot is good, and that price is beyond good. where did you get it at?
gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 »

Used Norton for years - great AV but downside was the effect on speed. Not using anything for last couple of years - just good hygiene and have no problems at all. Importantly, I have extremely minimized personal data and stored it to external backup - so I am not worried with machine breaking,hacking,loss of data or someone else using it.