What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
clutchied

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by clutchied »

bpp wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 am
Polymath wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:47 pm
JBTX wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 pm
Polymath wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:45 pm Blade Runner 2049. Highly recommended if you are a scifi or film fan. Impressive accomplishment feeling like a genuine sequel of the original.
I want to see this too. Do you need to have seen the original? I recently rewatched the original on TV. I don't think my wife has seen it. I loved the original for the cinematography, especially for its time, and just the general futuristic - bleakness feel of the setting, but thought the plot was kind of "meh".
I don't think it is a requirement but certainly helps to provide context on Deckard the character. There is much to consider and think about in each movie, so this is an example where I actually advocate taking time between films to consider the plat, meaning, questions etc. Its not like watch two Toy Stories back to back, :). If you liked the original cinematography you will like the sequel.
As a fan of the original, I watched Blade Runner 2049 and really enjoyed it. I'm not usually a fan of sequels or remakes, but this was well done. Amusing to see some of the corporate logos from the early '80s revived, such as Pan Am and Atari. Even the Soviet Union is apparently still a going concern in this timeline.

I especially liked the measured pace of the film. Similar to Arrival, which I also recently watched and loved (and then found out they are from the same director). Movies that give time to think, and feel, what is going on. Poetic pacing.

I have seen reviews comparing BR2049 to Tarkovsky's Stalker. I can see the Tarkovsky part, but thematically I should think Solaris would be the obvious comparison; Hari is, after all, similar to a replicant, created fully-formed with implanted memories, and turning out to be capable of free will.

Anyway, two thumbs up for both Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival.
Agreed! Great summary

I went and saw BR2049 at a late showing a couple of nights ago and really enjoyed the experience. You nailed it on the pacing.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Victoria and Abdul

Excellent film at every level with Judy Dench playing the
lead role of Queen Victoria. Abdul Karim from India finds
favor with Queen Victoria near the end of her reign and
the two form a friendship much to the dismay of the Queen's
family and inner circle.
Another superb movie in which Judy Dench plays Queen Victoria
is Mrs. Brown (1997).
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

Justice League.

It wasn't as terribly terrible as it was made out to be. Or perhaps my expectations were so very low that it was a mild improvement.
Certainly it was better than the dreck that was Batman vs Superman. Perhaps on about the same level as the first Superman, which reached the lofty heights of being "okay"

The CGI was pretty terrible in a lot of places and the plot would only make sense within the confines of the pages of a comic book. However, the addition of more major characters didn't hurt and the tone was lightened with a few jokes (some of which were duds but at least they tried).
The best additions were the young guy who played the Flash and Khal Drogo Jason Momoa.

I would never watch it again but perhaps DC is finally moving in the right direction. Still light years behind most of the Marvel movies, mind you.
HoleInTheAir

Post by HoleInTheAir »

I surf these forums often, and just found this thread. I watch a lot of movies, probably average close to 5-7 per week annually.

Here was this week:

Cult of Chucky - I liked the first three films in this series, and the sixth film, Curse, was a step in the right direction. This one moved the series back and wasn't worth watching. 3/10

John Wick: Chapter 2 - I thought this was a solid sequel to one of my favorite actions movies in recent years. It doesn't have quite the emotional heft as the first, and goes a little overboard with some of the action sequences, but was still a solid watch. 6.5/10

Alien: Covenant - Not too many liked Prometheus, but I was a fan, so I was excited to see this continue that story, but this one didn't really answer all of the questions I had. It takes the series in some (more) new directions while paying homage to the older films in the series. I liked it, and if you're pretty forgiving of Prometheus and liked it, you probably will, too. 7/10

Slither - fun little horror film set in the same vein as the monster movies from the 70s and 80s. Very shlocky with a lot of cheese, but still fun to watch. I had watched this previously some years ago on DVD, but picked up the new Scream Factory collector's edition during BF. Good transfer and is one I'll be revisiting again. 6.5/10

Spiderman: Homecoming - really like the new Spidey/Peter Parker, and Keaton was pretty good as Vulture - albeit a slightly odd rendition of the character. Some of the new casting directions were also a bit odd - namely MJ and Flash. I liked it overall and am excited to see where they go with the next one. It's unlikely this series will ever beat the original trilogy for me, but it seems to be headed in a better direction than the Amazing Spiderman films were. 7/10
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Lincoln (2012) Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, Hal Holbrook, directed by S. Spielberg. My second viewing. With Daniel Day-Lewis's announced retirement I had to see this one again, a wonderful film.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

The Big Sick. What a wonderful movie.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Wormwood-Netflix

6 parts on the life of Frank Olson, a scientist working for the US military on germ warfare in the 1950's who was slipped LSD
10 days later he died falling out of a 12th story window

Gerry Ford offered an apology in 1975 but the circumstances of his death remain unacknowledged
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Logan Lucky

I usually like Soderbergh's films, and this was no exception. A lot of fun, didn't take itself too seriously, good addition to the caper genre.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

The Last Jedi;

Just watched it a second time (with my daughter)
Loved it.
Emotional, and broke out of many of the traditional Star Wars tropes.
Won't give any spoilers (to the 3 fans in the world who haven't seen it yet), but Rian had no issues making choices that might upset some fans; but likely necessary to keeping a once-rare and sacred now-common and yearly movie series fresh.

Excited to see where they take it next.

Interestingly, if you compare what is said about this movie to the Empire Strikes Back when it was first released, much of the criticism is nearly identical.

I think this movie will hold up 20 years from now.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Downsizing: didn't care for it.

The Greatest Showman: I really enjoyed it. Hugh Jackman is quite the entertainer. It's a musical about PT Barnum.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

BBC Culture’s 100 greatest comedies of all time
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201708 ... f-all-time
So this year BBC Culture decided to get serious about comedy. We asked 253 film critics – 118 women and 135 men – from 52 countries and six continents a simple: “What do you think are the 10 best comedies of all time?” Films from any country made since cinema was invented were eligible, and BBC Culture did nothing to define in advance what a comedy is; we left that to each of the critics to decide. As always, we urged the experts to go with their heart and pick personal favourites, films that are part of their lives, not just the ones that meet some ideal of greatness.
And guess what? Only three of those best picture-winning comedies made the top 100.
10. The General (Clyde Bruckman and Buster Keaton, 1926)
9. This Is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner, 1984)
8. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
7. Airplane! (Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker, 1980)
6. Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979)
5. Duck Soup (Leo McCarey, 1933)
4. Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis, 1993)
3. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
2. Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
1. Some Like It Hot (Billy Wilder, 1959)
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Sons-in-law, grandsons, and I went to see The Last Jedi yesterday.
  • The movie has first rate CGI battle scenes, certainly not unexpected for this franchise.
  • The plot was as expected. Bad people fighting good people.
  • I don't believe that we have seen the last Jedi, despite the film's title.
  • There will be many more Star Wars movies produced.
  • The AMC Theatre we used had some of the best popcorn I have had in ages. Plus the popcorn bucket was free as one son-in-law had AMC rewards.
All in all a great time for all, though very young kids might have difficulty with the long run time. My youngest grandson (4) made it thru the movie, but was clearly losing interest near the end.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Betting on Zero” on Netflix. A story of Bill Ackman, Carl Ichan, and Herbalife. Really good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

"Wendy and Lucy"... A girl and her dog. Slow moving and sad. Liked it since I'm dog obsessed. If you're not a dog person, don't bother.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:32 am BBC Culture’s 100 greatest comedies of all time
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201708 ... f-all-time
So this year BBC Culture decided to get serious about comedy. We asked 253 film critics – 118 women and 135 men – from 52 countries and six continents a simple: “What do you think are the 10 best comedies of all time?” Films from any country made since cinema was invented were eligible, and BBC Culture did nothing to define in advance what a comedy is; we left that to each of the critics to decide. As always, we urged the experts to go with their heart and pick personal favourites, films that are part of their lives, not just the ones that meet some ideal of greatness.
And guess what? Only three of those best picture-winning comedies made the top 100.
10. The General (Clyde Bruckman and Buster Keaton, 1926)
9. This Is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner, 1984)
8. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
7. Airplane! (Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker, 1980)
6. Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979)
5. Duck Soup (Leo McCarey, 1933)
4. Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis, 1993)
3. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
2. Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
1. Some Like It Hot (Billy Wilder, 1959)
That’s a really legitimate top ten!
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Dunkirk.

It just became available for renting on Amazon.

Extremely gripping and taunt. But not exactly what I was expecting. It's not a traditional war story arc like Saving Private Ryan or Platoon or any of 100 different war movies. The story skips back and forth between various characters in the middle of the Dunkirk battle and evacuation and just watches. You don't even learn the names of most of the characters. You are just looking over their shoulders into the battle and see what they see. But it is very effective.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Moana, on Netflix.

I watched with my 6 year old granddaughter. She like it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
market timer

Post by market timer »

Finally have HBO, so I'm getting caught up on some series I'd missed:
Westworld
Silicon Valley
Bored to Death
Band of Brothers
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

texasdiver wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 pm Dunkirk.

Extremely gripping and taunt. But not exactly what I was expecting. It's not a traditional war story arc like Saving Private Ryan or Platoon or any of 100 different war movies. The story skips back and forth between various characters in the middle of the Dunkirk battle and evacuation and just watches. You don't even learn the names of most of the characters. You are just looking over their shoulders into the battle and see what they see. But it is very effective.
I had relations, great uncles and cousins, who were the dead fingers of the Army officer on the beach, the Navy officer on the Mole, the Spitfire pilot. They got the language and the personalities dead on. The director deliberately used early 20s actors to play men of the right age. Only the Kenneth Branagh (Royal Navy Commander) is too old.

All of the ships and planes were authentic and from the time when they could be. No cgi. That will not be possible again.

"One week. One Day. One hour". The 3stories in the movie are linked thematically by that aspect.

The director said it was more of a disaster movie than a war movie. You never really see the enemy.
sambb

Post by sambb »

i saw last jedi. pretty good, better than the last one
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

texasdiver wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 pm Dunkirk.

We saw Dunkirk from Redbox for $2.00 last night, Amazon was more expensive. My daughter was trying to tame our expectations, she helped with the explanations for the skips back and forth. My husband liked it.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I can unfortunately report that last night we watched American Assassin, which I cannot recommend at all. I feel dumber for having watched it. I didn't expect it to be good going in, but yet it failed to clear the hurdle of my low expectations by quite a lot.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Documentaries count?
I just finished a documentary on Amazon Prime called: Task Force Faith: The Story of the 31st Regimental Combat Team
104 minutes long and an easy watch. I like overlooked military history from before the 90s.

Currently watching Apocalypse Now for background noise while cooking dinner. I prefer Apocalypse Now Redux as it has the French Plantation scene in it which I find fascinating for some reason.
Last edited by brokendirtdart on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

brokendirtdart wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:47 pm Documentaries count?
I just finished a documentary on Amazon Prime called: Task Force Faith: The Story of the 31st Regimental Combat Team
90 minutes long and an easy watch. I like overlooked military history from before the 90s.

Currently watching Apocalypse Now for background noise while cooking dinner. I prefer Apocalypse Now Redux as it has the French Plantation scene in it which I find fascinating for some reason.
Was that about Don Faith’s ill fated command at Chosin? I read a book about that many years ago and it left quite an impression.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

MoonOrb wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:53 pm
brokendirtdart wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:47 pm Documentaries count?
90 minutes long and an easy watch. I like overlooked military history from before the 90s.

Was that about Don Faith’s ill fated command at Chosin? I read a book about that many years ago and it left quite an impression.
Yes it was. I might have read a book on it as well. Although it may have simply occupied only a chapter in one of them.

edit to add: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/video/detai ... over_title
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Grinch That Stole Christmas, on Amazon.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Not really a movie but we just watched the “Always Sunny” Christmas Special.

I LOVED it when it when it came out but it’s less funny now. Still a great Christmas Special.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Just saw 'The Last Jedi' with the four children and DW. Was ok. Have to feel for the writers and director with so much history binding them. Reviews were very mixed but 90 minutes later they are still talking about all of the good and bad about it.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
sjl333

Post by sjl333 »

The Last Jedi - it was okay, not the greatest
Darkest Hour - interesting movie, it was okay, didn't know about the personality of Mr. Churchhill, quite fascinating
Dunkirk - move was also "okay", good to learn about the history of WW2, interesting to see the issues/dilemmas faced by the British.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:19 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:01 pm
bertilak wrote:
Nicolas wrote:My wife and I both loved it. Me especially, as I've been a detectorist myself. There may be a third season, we will see.
http://renewcanceltv.com/detectorists-s ... ming-back/
Well, I would welcome it!
Detectorists has been renewed for a third and final season!
http://renewcanceltv.com/?s=Detectorists
Detectorists, the third season, is being shown now on BBC. You have to be in the UK to watch. It may be shown on Netflix sometime soon, hopefully, for those not currently in the UK. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -episode-1#
The first episode expires on iPlayer this Friday.
Fantastic! I will wait for it on Netflix.
Actually all of season 3 of Detectorists is now available on YouTube. Here's episode 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJjwPM ... ture=share
Agggm

Post by Agggm »

Star wars the last Jedi... 👍7
Jumanji 2... 👎4
Downsizing... 👎3
Thor ragnarok... 👍 10
Coco... 👍10
The man who invented xmas... 👍8
Marshall... 👍8
Daddy's home 2... 👎5
Thank you for your service... 👎2
Kingsmen the golden circle.... 👍6
Victoria and Abdul... 👍7
Dinkirk.... 👍9
Darkest Hour... 👎 3
Pitch Perfect 3... 👍 8
Commuter... 👍 5
Last edited by Agggm on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I did not care for The Last Jedi. I didn't like The Force Awakens, and I liked this new one even less.

I saw The Shape of Water in the theater today, and despite being stuck in the 2nd row due to the Christmas crowds, I really enjoyed it.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Die Hard! Merry 🎄.
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

MoonOrb wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:09 pm I can unfortunately report that last night we watched American Assassin, which I cannot recommend at all. I feel dumber for having watched it. I didn't expect it to be good going in, but yet it failed to clear the hurdle of my low expectations by quite a lot.
+1 in every respect.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

MoonOrb wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm Predestination, with Ethan Hawke, a sort of noirish time travel flick based on a Heinlein short story.
Which short story? I’m a huge Heinlein fan.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

For me, this was a boring, long, unoriginal special effects fest with exactly one interesting piece. It comes toward the end, when the main young bad guy is fighting to the death the cute girl who learned everything she needed to know about The Force in about 24 hours. All of a sudden, the fight to the death changes into something else altogether for a minute or two. Many of the grownups in the theater laughed out loud, while most viewers younger than about 13 probably did not have a clue what was going on. This one scene almost made this movie worth my time and money.

---
<<The Last Jedi;

Just watched it a second time (with my daughter)
Loved it.
Emotional, and broke out of many of the traditional Star Wars tropes.
Won't give any spoilers (to the 3 fans in the world who haven't seen it yet), but Rian had no issues making choices that might upset some fans; but likely necessary to keeping a once-rare and sacred now-common and yearly movie series fresh.

Excited to see where they take it next.

Interestingly, if you compare what is said about this movie to the Empire Strikes Back when it was first released, much of the criticism is nearly identical.

I think this movie will hold up 20 years from now.>>
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:21 am
MoonOrb wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm Predestination, with Ethan Hawke, a sort of noirish time travel flick based on a Heinlein short story.
Which short story? I’m a huge Heinlein fan.
Apparently a story called “All You Zombies,” although I’ve never read it.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Greatest moment in the Last Jedi:

Luke casually brushing dust off his shoulder.

Pure awesome.

(And it's not even a spoiler)
SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning »

Greatest moment in the Last Jedi:

Luke casually brushing dust off his shoulder.

Pure awesome.

I liked when Snoke told Kylo to remove that ridiculous mask.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I saw Specter tonight, my husband got the whole blue ray dvd from my daughter for Xmas, it has all the Bond Film series.
It was a little bit too dark for the whole family, the drilling part. I think I like the old Bond movies better.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Here are my movies for the last three months:

Shawn the Sheep
Patriots Day
Pop Aye (*)
The Mighty Quinn (bad)
Devil in a Blue Dress
Walk With Me
All the Rage
Columbus
The Comedian (worst)
Gifted (*)
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
The Foreigner (*)
The Shack (*)
Elf
Going in Style
The Darkest Hour(*)

The starred movies are worth a watch.

Over 60% of the audience left the theatre midway through the comedian. They had better sense than I did.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Food, Inc." on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

Darkest Hour- I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never realized how close England was to defeat in May, 1940. Practically the entire British army was caught on the beaches of Dunkirk, and some of the leading British politicians were ready to reach out to Mussolini/ Hitler in the hopes of negotiating a ‘peaceful’ conclusion. Churchill managed to save the men from Dunkirk, and rallied Parliament to support the fight back until the US joined in. Gary Oldman gives an excellent performance.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

The Last Jedi:
Didn't see much original in it. Fight a bit. Complain a bit. Fight some more. Pretend to think deep thoughts. Fight some more.

I guess I've lost enthusiasm for CGI fighting. May as well watch a cartoon.
Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX »

Recently they had a John Wayne marathon on AMC channel. I have seen a lot of them already but "The Cowboys" really caught my attention for a couple of hours. The plot was fairly straight forward but i really like how the old movies didn't have to rely on fancy sets and CGI effects to tell the storyline.
Onslow

Post by Onslow »

Dasnyc wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 pm Darkest Hour- I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never realized how close England was to defeat in May, 1940. Practically the entire British army was caught on the beaches of Dunkirk, and some of the leading British politicians were ready to reach out to Mussolini/ Hitler in the hopes of negotiating a ‘peaceful’ conclusion. Churchill managed to save the men from Dunkirk, and rallied Parliament to support the fight back until the US joined in. Gary Oldman gives an excellent performance.
Totally agree. Excellent movie.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I had to see Star Wars because I'm a big fan. Saw it on Imax in 3D. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it if I weren't such a big fan. More fight/action scenes than I care for.
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Star Wars - the last jedi (Highly disappointed. This is the worst star wars storyline ever in my opinion)

Downsizing - the story got worse and worse as it goes.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

The movie I enjoyed most this year was Wonder Woman, seen in the theater. It was well done and enjoyable. Well-directed and I enjoyed watching Gal Gadot.

Monument Men was also excellent ( saw it free on the airplane), as was Hidden Figures.

I also saw and enjoyed to varying degrees the following (in no particular order):
Big Sick
Grand Budapest Hotel
Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2
Justice League
Finding Dory
Star Wars, Last Jedi (30 year old son couldn’t stop groaning)
La la land (kinda blah)
Thor
King Kong
plasma800

Post by plasma800 »

They still make movies? Shoot, I haven't watched a movie in years.. but I do play a lot of world of warcraft.. does this count?