What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Alexa9

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Alexa9 »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:02 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:31 pm
Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:05 pm Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Frugal?!? You lost me at went to the gym.
Actually, I would count a gym membership as an excellent investment in your health, so I would consider it being frugal. Compare the cost of going to the gym to the cost of getting stents placed in your coronary arteries every five years and then having bypass surgery after the third stent.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make: frugality is relative, it's all in the eye of the beholder. My wife used to read a blog by a woman who preached that you should wash out all your plastic bags and save those little wire things that hold the bread bag closed. Turns out this woman had SIX CHILDREN. After I heard that, I stopped washing out my plastic bags.
A pair of running shoes is all you need :beer Maybe a few dumbbells.
MinimalJ

Post by MinimalJ »

Didn't buy any presents, my family knows to not buy me presents also, I just enjoy the time together.
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

Left Costco with only the items I planned on buying.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Alexa9 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Depends on where you live, your lifestyle and many other factors. With 70% of adults in the US overweight or obese, I applaud anyone who exercises regularly, no matter how they manage to do it.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Hmm. I took my cousin to lunch yesterday (our annual tradition), so that doesn't count.

But, I did NOT stop at Old Navy to buy myself pajama pants afterwards. And I used a gift card to buy a latte at Sbux yesterday afternoon. And I ate all the free food at my sister's last night. Winner winner taco dinner!
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Depends on where you live, your lifestyle and many other factors. With 70% of adults in the US overweight or obese, I applaud anyone who exercises regularly, no matter how they manage to do it.
But we’re talking about being frugal. Going to the gym is not frugal IMHO.
snowox

Post by snowox »

To me , any day I we don't spend a cent is a frugal day. Yes we consumed some things that money was already spent on BUT we did not spend any money today.
mouses

Post by mouses »

bob60014 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:11 pm I shovled snow from the walk today instead of giving the kid across the street $5. Of course I'm paying for it with a little back pain, but I kept the $5!
Geez, let's encourage a work ethic in kids.

I always try to conserve water. Our town uses too much water, especially in the summer, so it draws down the surface water and wildlife suffers. So I conserve water all year round. Is a few minutes more under hot water worth an animal's suffering?

I was frugal by not buying two things I normally would have bought. Have to offset some big dental bills. We talk a lot in here about medical expenses as one gets older, but dental bills can be shockingly high. Crack a tooth into the root, extraction, implant, crown, you're looking at $6000. Multiply that due to a fall, criminey.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Cant think of a single thing...

Even drove two cars yesterday to some relatives for Christmas - couldnt fit all the gifts and overnight bags plus the family in one. The wrapped gifts include all kinds of frivolous things that my wife and kids do not need. I made an extra egg at breakfast and gave it to my dog in addition to his regular dog food (but hey, it's Christmas). I bought a ton of holiday cards and giftcards and dropped them off at the veterans home. I think I took a pretty long shower too!

Gross excess, for sure. Merry Christmas to all!
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:37 am Cant think of a single thing...

Even drove two cars yesterday to some relatives for Christmas - couldnt fit all the gifts and overnight bags plus the family in one. The wrapped gifts include all kinds of frivolous things that my wife and kids do not need. I made an extra egg at breakfast and gave it to my dog in addition to his regular dog food (but hey, it's Christmas). I bought a ton of holiday cards and giftcards and dropped them off at the veterans home. I think I took a pretty long shower too!

Gross excess, for sure. Merry Christmas to all!

Your post made me smile :happy Merry Christmas!
Soup Nazi

Post by Soup Nazi »

Carpooled to work. Ate cereal for breakfast, brown-bagged it for lunch, will eat leftovers for dinner.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

jibantik wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:22 pm Left Costco with only the items I planned on buying.
Wow! You have a lot of discipline, for sure. Tip of my cap to you!

We go in for a "few" items. We come out with a cart full of things we didn't know we needed. :oops:

Still, nothing goes to waste, and I am a real believer in the products offered by Costco, including their private label items. Never been disappointed.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
FlexibleSpender

Post by FlexibleSpender »

Went to the gym longer than I thought I would have and ended up skipping breakfast. By the time I got home it was closer to lunch. Made plans to get lunch at a favorite local place, but ended up just making some eggs and green beans. Saved about $30.
mouses

Post by mouses »

FlexibleSpender wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:35 am Went to the gym longer than I thought I would have and ended up skipping breakfast. By the time I got home it was closer to lunch. Made plans to get lunch at a favorite local place, but ended up just making some eggs and green beans. Saved about $30.
Eggs and green beans? Saute the green beans and fold them into scrambled eggs?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have a budget and mostly stick to it, so I don't do "frugal things" on a day to day basis.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I went to the gym and had a pretty good workout. Then went home and had a delicious meal. Then picked up my book and read to expand my knowledge.
FlexibleSpender

Post by FlexibleSpender »

mouses wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:43 am
FlexibleSpender wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:35 am Went to the gym longer than I thought I would have and ended up skipping breakfast. By the time I got home it was closer to lunch. Made plans to get lunch at a favorite local place, but ended up just making some eggs and green beans. Saved about $30.
Eggs and green beans? Saute the green beans and fold them into scrambled eggs?
Actually the green beans were a side.

However, sauté some red peppers, corn, and onion then throw eggs into the pan, put the lid on, and cook it for a fast and easy meal that's pretty tasty.
evilityb

Post by evilityb »

I continued to not have children. It's amazing how much money I've saved with this strategy. :)
She/her/hers | Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need - Ben Harper
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

My gym is closed today but I got three hours of exercise. I had a new driveway installed in mid November. One is not supposed to have heavy trucks on it for a month. I did not want the snow service scraping the top off my $12,000 driveway. We've been having snow! I've been parking on the apron so the city snow trucks could clear the streets and scraping the snow off my car. Last night we had heavy snow. So I scraped the snow off of my car, went for breakfast and then spent three hours scraping the snow off of my long driveway. I did not want it to freeze. I'm going to call the snow service to tell them that they can scrape the snow off of the driveway now. Incidentally I'm 74, retired last year. So for all of young 'uns who retire at 40 so that they can do stuff while still young - you never know!
jojay

Post by jojay »

I have been a test shaver for a major razor company for nearly 25 years. I have enough blades to last me for several years.
I gave multiple blades to my son today - probably worth $100.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Did my own snow blowing for my dogs so they would have trails to run in the snow this winter, then hired a service to do my driveway. :)
retire57

Post by retire57 »

evilityb wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:36 pm I continued to not have children. It's amazing how much money I've saved with this strategy. :)
+1 :beer
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I used the snow blower to clear drive way and walks, and in front of the mail box of 6 inch snow fall, did not hire anyone to do it. Then I cleaned my son's car of snow as a cheap Xmas present.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

iskey wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:49 pm I've been in bed sick for three days (flu) so I have spent $0.00 over that time period. My wife has made up for it though.
I managed to make DW sick also, so we did not spend any money over 4 days of flu. Better just today, but still have not spent any monies :mrgreen:
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

We entertained a small group at our house last night. We planned to to out for dinner tonight, but my wife is not feeling well. Cha-Ching I. She offered to give me some money to go to a movie. Cha-Ching II. Now I'll probably have left-overs for dinner. Cha-Ching III.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

We stayed within the Christmas budget but frugal is not really the right word. We are planning to watch a free movie with the kids after while and maybe a nap.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Made our entire Christmas meal from scratch (except for pre-made pie crusts). That's fun and rewarding too!

Burning fire wood that I cut from our land, in a super efficient wood stove, instead of burning heating oil. Also opened all the blinds to get as much solar gain as possible as the sun occasionally peeked through the clouds.

We've switched from wrapping gifts to placing them in Christmas bags, covered with tissue paper, which we then reuse over and over again.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Gill wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm Played a golf ball I found in the weeds.
Gill
My husband bought a special flashlight that illuminates golf balls at night. He just walked in the door proudly with a few more. He’s been washing and sorting out his bounty recently.

I used a paperclip to hang a Christmas decoration, but mostly because I’m too lazy to search for the hooks I bought during the after Christmas sale a few years ago.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I ate leftovers from last night’s Christmas Eve party.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Many frugal actions have benefits every day. e.g. investing in low cost index funds, avoiding credit card debt, etc.
timmy

Post by timmy »

I went online and passed harsh judgement on situations that I know little about.

I also jumped all over people I disagree with.

Felt so good ...
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Got the DW a gift card for Christmas, and instead of paying for it with my CC, I used PayPal. I get to use THEIR money for six months, interest free.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Pulled out a staple from a stack of old papers, straightened it, and reinserted it into a stapler for reuse.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:33 pm Pulled out a staple from a stack of old papers, straightened it, and reinserted it into a stapler for reuse.

Victoria
Given the strain hardening on the corners of the staple during the initial stapling and the subsequent straightening you should probably anneal it at 760 °C before you try to reuse it.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Made a sandwich at home to take to work for lunch.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

Alexa9 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:20 am
baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:15 pm

But we’re talking about being frugal. Going to the gym is not frugal IMHO.
My health insurance provides a free gym membership. I am pretty sure my regular attendance at yoga keeps me off anti-anxiety meds. So my it frugal for me (zero out of pocket) and frugal for the insurer, and maybe even the rest of society :wink:
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:33 pm Pulled out a staple from a stack of old papers, straightened it, and reinserted it into a stapler for reuse.

Victoria
Winner!

/thread
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

-Moved 5-states away from relatives so we didn't have to drive the 2-hours to their house this year.
-Blamed the snow on not visiting for the holidays, thus no airline ticket costs
-Ate a simple meal
-Finished Christmas shopping in September at dirt cheap prices (thanks SlickDeals) - I think we made money this year on Christmas. More in cash/GC received than what we spent.
-Re-gifted something we received earlier in the year
-Drove around neighborhoods looking at Christmas lights rather than paying $25 for the drive-through light show

Ok, ok, one and two are sort of not true.

The others though, all true.
njuser

Post by njuser »

Luckywon wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 pm This is yesterday but got an unsolicited mail from a charity with a dime and a penny affixed. Peeled those off and put them in my coin jar.
There are some good posts here, but I'm still giggling over this one.
LookingtogetFIRE'd

Post by LookingtogetFIRE'd »

Over the last week I have given away several books to my local library and several items around my house to members of my community on my local community sharing page on Facebook. How is this frugal? I may not be saving money, but I am saving someone else money!

Also went to Papyrus today where they were selling boxes of holiday cards and rolls of wrapping paper for $1 and bought a three years' supply for about $10.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

njuser wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:30 pm
Luckywon wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 pm This is yesterday but got an unsolicited mail from a charity with a dime and a penny affixed. Peeled those off and put them in my coin jar.
There are some good posts here, but I'm still giggling over this one.
Glad you enjoyed :) Needless to say the mailing was discarded!!
rashad3000

Post by rashad3000 »

We are trading in our 2015 Highlander with 34,000 miles for a 2016 Camry with 40,000 miles. They will cut us a check for $11,250. This will also save us a ton of money in gas each week, since my wife commutes 400 miles a week.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Papa Murphy's Pizza Tuesday: $12 for a family size spicy fennel sausage which fed 4 of us for dinner. 8-)
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
sir_throckmorton

Post by sir_throckmorton »

Bought generic cereal instead of name brand

Also refinanced my federal student loans
praxis

Post by praxis »

I went to the gym this morning like a lot of you. I believe it is the best thing I do for my health. In the big picture, if I stay in shape, I will be healthier. Exercising takes effort and commitment. As I watch my friends and relatives age, the ones that don't stay in shape pay more in health care costs. I believe my time at the gym pays big dividends. I feel better and sleep better. The price of our gym membership is tiny. If I could save the cost by working out alone at home, I would. But belonging to the gym gets me going. If you can do your workouts by yourself, congratulations.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I don't play golf (too expensive in general), I didn't pay for anything like an "amazon dot" (useless), I don't pay for a gym membership, I don't pay for a newspaper, I don't wash the cars, etc..
I guess I have a different definition of frugal than prior posters as I think of many of these things as wasteful :)

I've never re-used a staple though - Victoria gets the thriftiest-of-the-year award for that one!
TG2

Post by TG2 »

BogleBoogie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:57 pm
DanMahowny wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm
BogleBoogie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:44 pm I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
Long showers are fantastic!

A long shower for me is typically about one hour.

Very relaxing. And cheap too- the cost of the water and gas to heat the water is small relative to the enjoyment.

Certainly not wasteful in my view.
I suppose it is a matter of opinion on this one. The one hour shower you speak of amounts to about 600 gallons of water. 600 gallons of water to clean one person, one day, one time feels wasteful and unnecessary to me. For you, it is wonderful.
Yeah. This is the first person who has ever made me think it was frugal of me to buy a hot tub. And mine is far more relaxing. I don't have to be standing up. :happy
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I didn't replace my high flow shower head or my high flow toilet thus saving money on shower heads and toilets. :twisted:
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

I went to the gym today as well. Perhaps one of the least frugal things I did 10 years back was pay up front for a 4 year gym membership for something like $700 dollars, so roughly a little over 14 dollars a month. I am reaping those benefits now as the contract included 24 dollar annual fee for the rest of my life after the initial 4 year contract.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

It was -22 this morning. I shoveled off my driveway and the neighbors sidewalk for him. -22 makes me want to hire someone to clean out my driveway.

I had two bowls of cereal for lunch. But I did have to fill my car up with gas today. Doh. Not a frugal day. :wink:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead