How I got to $1.5MM

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Post Reply
bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm

I've been inspired by reading some of the first person accounts on this forum, and after reading the "2nd Million is easier" post decided to submit my own story. Hopefully it will be inspiring to some and I'm sure the comments will be educational to others.

I've been very lucky.
I happen to like computer programming and it pays well.
I'm fortunate to have a loving, hardworking wife who has been nothing but supportive thru any hard times we've faced. I've never had a major medical issue. Life had been very, very good to me - and I know that this random good luck has had just as much to do with my financial success as any investing acumen.

Also, please note that my current balance of 1.5MM is largely a result of the investments I was able to make during my "good" years from 1988 to 2001.


Rather than try to construct readable prose I'm submitting this timeline.

1985: 31 years old. Salary 45,000/year. Married, wife pregnant with first child.
Working on my tax return I realize I need to find a way to save for retirement. I consider giving blood once a month.

1986: I go out on my own as a contract programmer, income more than doubles to 100,000/year. Buy savings bonds yielding 5.5% interest, look into opening retirement account.

1987: Unable to figure out how to open Keogh retirement account I start a SEP IRA with Vanguard.

1988 - 2001: income is about 100,000/year with over 140,000 in 2000 and 2001. Contributing 12,000 to 14,000/year to SEP IRA.

2002: Things go to hell.
I lose 3/5's of my business in a single month.
Very stressful.
I'm making enough working 2 days per week to live hand to mouth - except, every 3 months I have to sell 5K in investments to pay estimated taxes.

I'm 48 years old with 3 kids, staring at 24 tuition years (Kids in private High School).
Very humbling.
At my age the job market looks daunting.
The world looks a lot different than it did just a year ago.
For the first time I understand why it's so hard for poor people to save - If I get a $100 windfall, why not enjoy it? What's the difference between selling $5000 worth of investments or $5100?

I can also see how people go bankrupt.
Should I disrupt my kids lives by pulling them out of their school since tuition is now a major strain, or just keep draining my accounts until I'm out of money?

I know I need to figure out a way to make more money. To this end...

2003: My wife and I buy a small business.
Unfortunately, from 2000 to 2002 my non-retirement investments are down by over 50%, what a terrible time to be selling! But I need the money to buy the business. Also end up with a home equity loan of about $150,000.

Our first 6 months in business, from June thru December of 2003 we both work over 40 hrs/week at the business and I work an additional 16 hrs/week programming.
Business shows a slight profit. Our wages(profits) for the last 6 months work out to be $.05/hr (not exaggerating).

2004 - 2011: Things improve, we figure things out.
Business is making enough profit to pay taxes on my programming earnings, but not much more. Over this 8 Year span I end up redeeming over 10k in savings bonds to pay taxes. Needless to say, not a single contribution to my retirement account.

Also, now paying off a $150,000 home equity loan.

There were some good years during that time.
My accountant said I needed to take a salary, so for a couple of years I paid myself $1000/month.

Things were so uncertain that I never spent a dime of this "salary". Instead I set up an account at the Credit Union next door and had automatic withdrawals made to a non-retirement Vanguard index 500 account.

This was a good move.

There were several tight months where I did not think I could afford do make the investment, but because it was automatic, it happened by default. If the investments were discretionary there would have been many months where I would not have made a contribution.

The investments I had made to my SEP IRA from 1980 thru 2001 had grown to $660,000.

Unfortunately there was a major downturn in the markets between 2007 and 2009 and I got to watch my retirement account drop to $400,000. Ouch!

2012-2013: A watershed year.
All 3 kids have graduated no more tuition.
Both cars paid off, no more car payments.

I got a contract programming gig that lasted almost a year. I was still programming 2 days/week and now working an additional 30 hours/week on the new contract, plus time at the store, but we were finally starting to get ahead financially.

2014-2015: business is good, but wife and I are burned out and trying to sell the store.
We get very lucky and, after 2 years, find a buyer.

We make enough to pay off the remainder of our home equity loan, and, I calculate, enough to pay taxes on my programming income for the next 3 years until I'm 66, full retirement for social security.

My programming income provides a comfortable living for my wife and I as long as I don't need to set aside anything for estimated taxes.

We made SEP contributions in 2012 - 2015, market rebounded nicely and my balance is about $1.5MM. How good has the current bull market been? I'm up over $200,000 this year.

Final note, used "I" when in almost every case it should have been "we".

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5472
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Congratulations on your successes and hard earned wealth.
:sharebeer
What actionable financial and career steps would you pass on to a young programmer or one following in your footsteps?
1.
2.
3.

Explorer
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by Explorer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Bigwood177 - Congrats!

How do you intend to invest now? Take some money off the table? Or keep it going?

monsterid
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by monsterid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Congratulations =)

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 pm

bigwood177 wrote: I've been inspired by reading some of the first person accounts on this forum, and after reading the "2nd Million is easier" post decided to submit my own story. Hopefully it will be inspiring to some and I'm sure the comments will be educational to others. . . .
Thank you for your very interesting post. Should be required reading for millennials - the value of investing when you have it, investing even when you don't have much, and what is called personal grit in handling financial traumas.
bigwood177 wrote: There were some good years during that time.
My accountant said I needed to take a salary, so for a couple of years I paid myself $1000/month.

Things were so uncertain that I never spent a dime of this "salary". Instead I set up an account at the Credit Union next door and had automatic withdrawals made to a non-retirement Vanguard index 500 account.

This was a good move.
There were several tight months where I did not think I could afford do make the investment, but because it was automatic, it happened by default. If the investments were discretionary there would have been many months where I would not have made a contribution.
Shows the value of even good old-fashioned taxable account investing. Also the beauty of auto-deduction, out of sight/out of mind investing.
bigwood177 wrote: Final note, used "I" when in almost every case it should have been "we".
Hope you show this to your wife :D

User avatar
GreatOdinsRaven
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by GreatOdinsRaven » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm

:sharebeer

Congratulations, my friend!
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.

RandomJoe
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by RandomJoe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Great and inspiring story, thank you for sharing it. Congratulations! Enjoy your well-earned retirement.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1311
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 pm

That's a great story and adventure! Thanks for posting. I think I'll stick with being a W2 tech worker with some index funds. :-)

bubbadog
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bubbadog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Great story, congrats. You and your wife should be proud. :sharebeer

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4918
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by stemikger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Great Post! It just goes to show you the ups and downs are bound to come but you can still win!

Hopefully younger people will read this and see that it can be done.

Congrats!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 11942
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by HomerJ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:16 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:47 pm
Congratulations on your successes and hard earned wealth.
:sharebeer
What actionable financial and career steps would you pass on to a young programmer or one following in your footsteps?
1. Don't put your kids in expensive private schools.
2. Build up 1-year's expenses for an emergency fund.
3. Keep expenses low enough so that if you lose your job, and have to take a different one, you can take a big pay-cut and still pay all your bills.
4. Helps if your spouse is also working. This greatly minimizes the impact of one person losing their job.

Great story by the way OP. Thanks for sharing.

amitb00
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:04 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by amitb00 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 am

Great story

trueson1
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by trueson1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 am

Inspiring for sure! Great example of the value of hard work, teamwork (with your best friend), never give up attitude and consistent disciplined investing principles all = success. Congrats!

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:47 pm
Congratulations on your successes and hard earned wealth.
:sharebeer
What actionable financial and career steps would you pass on to a young programmer or one following in your footsteps?
1.
2.
3.
Financial:
Aside from the normal 'maximize your 401k, employer match..."
1. Open a Roth as early as you can.
2. Set up a system to make automatic monthly contributions.
There is nothing you can do that will increase your odds of financial success more than following these two steps.

Career:
Find a profitable niche that persists for a long time.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5472
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 am

bigwood177 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:47 pm
:D Congratulations on your successes and hard earned wealth.
:sharebeer
What actionable financial and career steps would you pass on to a young programmer or one following in your footsteps?
1.
2.
3.
Financial:
Aside from the normal 'maximize your 401k, employer match..."
1. Open a Roth as early as you can.
2. Set up a system to make automatic monthly contributions.
There is nothing you can do that will increase your odds of financial success more than following these two steps.

Career:
Find a profitable niche that persists for a long time.
Thanks for the input.
I think I was asking the OP and not intended to hijack the thread.
I'll post this in another thread as it seems interesting.
mahalo, :D
j

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 am

Explorer wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:52 pm
Bigwood177 - Congrats!

How do you intend to invest now? Take some money off the table? Or keep it going?
I was nervous when the Dow hit 17,000.
At 22,000 I decided to "take some money off the table".
I've got $240,000 in my SEP money market account. When the market inevitably heads south this will give me the $40K/year I need to supplement my Social Security for 6 years, time enough to ride out a typical downturn (I hope).

I've basically got a 2-fund portfolio: Index 500 and Wellesly (plus the MM). I've gone from 80/20 idx 500/Wells to more like 60/40.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:28 pm
bigwood177 wrote: I've been inspired by reading some of the first person accounts on this forum, and after reading the "2nd Million is easier" post decided to submit my own story. Hopefully it will be inspiring to some and I'm sure the comments will be educational to others. . . .
Thank you for your very interesting post. Should be required reading for millennials - the value of investing when you have it, investing even when you don't have much, and what is called personal grit in handling financial traumas.
bigwood177 wrote: There were some good years during that time.
My accountant said I needed to take a salary, so for a couple of years I paid myself $1000/month.

Things were so uncertain that I never spent a dime of this "salary". Instead I set up an account at the Credit Union next door and had automatic withdrawals made to a non-retirement Vanguard index 500 account.

This was a good move.
There were several tight months where I did not think I could afford do make the investment, but because it was automatic, it happened by default. If the investments were discretionary there would have been many months where I would not have made a contribution.
Shows the value of even good old-fashioned taxable account investing. Also the beauty of auto-deduction, out of sight/out of mind investing.
bigwood177 wrote: Final note, used "I" when in almost every case it should have been "we".
Hope you show this to your wife :D
Thank you for your kind remarks and for pulling out the essence of my post.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 am

ClevrChico wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 pm
That's a great story and adventure! Thanks for posting. I think I'll stick with being a W2 tech worker with some index funds. :-)
Sometimes the biggest difference between working for someone else and being self-employed is that you can see the shit coming for a little longer before it hits the fan.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 am

monsterid wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:07 pm
Congratulations =)
Thank you.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:21 am

GreatOdinsRaven wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm
:sharebeer

Congratulations, my friend!
Thank you.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 am

stemikger wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm
Great Post! It just goes to show you the ups and downs are bound to come but you can still win!

Hopefully younger people will read this and see that it can be done.

Congrats!
Thank you.
$960,832 of my current value is the result the current bull market, ie: this is the increase exclusive of any additional contributions.
I've got friends who are still patting themselves on the back for selling at the bottom of the 2009 bear and "not losing everything".

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 am

bubbadog wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 pm
Great story, congrats. You and your wife should be proud. :sharebeer
Thank you.
We are proud of what we were able to accomplish, but I think the most important lesson I learned is how easy it is to be smug when things are going well and how humbling career setbacks can be.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:37 am

trueson1 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 am
Inspiring for sure! Great example of the value of hard work, teamwork (with your best friend), never give up attitude and consistent disciplined investing principles all = success. Congrats!
Thank you.
".. teamwork (with your best friend) ..."
You slobbered a mouthful there, brother! (as my Dad used to say).
Never would have worked out without both of us pulling at the reign.

david99
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by david99 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks for sharing your story with us --- a lot of lessons to be learned from it.

Stormbringer
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:07 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 pm

bigwood177 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm
I got a contract programming gig that lasted almost a year. I was still programming 2 days/week and now working an additional 30 hours/week on the new contract, plus time at the store, but we were finally starting to get ahead financially.
What is your skill set?

My day job is also as an independent contract programmer. Miraculously, I've somehow managed to be continuously and fully employed as such since 1995. My wife's job provides the benefits, and I've enjoyed being able to stuff obscene amounts of money into a Solo 401(k) for quite some time now.

I've found that I need to completely reinvent my skill set every 3-5 years. You can quickly become a dinosaur in this industry, and there is an H1-B around ever corner willing to do your job for a fraction of the money. They've really put downward pressure on rates, so I'm increasingly doing fixed bid work to compensate.
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

TexasMu
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by TexasMu » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Great story. Love the never give up , keep fighting underlying theme. :thumbsup

Rader
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:29 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by Rader » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Thank you for sharing such an inspiring story. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

livesoft
Posts: 62963
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by livesoft » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:39 pm

bigwood177 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm
1985: 31 years old. Salary 45,000/year. Married, wife pregnant with first child.
Working on my tax return I realize I need to find a way to save for retirement. I consider giving blood once a month.
I wanted to put the $45K/year salary in perspective.

Michael Lewis in his book "Liar's Poker" writes about being a bond salesman at Salomon Brothers in the early 1980's. He wrote about a corporate finance job for new graduates in 1982: "The starting salary was about twenty-five thousand dollars a year plus bonus."

And about starting at Salomon Brothers in 1985:
Salomon Brothers had written me in London to announce that it would pay me an M.B.A.'s wage—though I had no M.B.A.—of forty-two thousand dollars plus a bonus after the first six months of six thousand more. At that time I hadn't had the education required to feel poor on forty-eight thousand dollars (then equivalent to forty-five thousand British pounds) a year.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

voodoo72
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by voodoo72 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:49 pm

bigwood177 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 am
stemikger wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm
Great Post! It just goes to show you the ups and downs are bound to come but you can still win!

Hopefully younger people will read this and see that it can be done.

Congrats!
Thank you.
$960,832 of my current value is the result the current bull market, ie: this is the increase exclusive of any additional contributions.
I've got friends who are still patting themselves on the back for selling at the bottom of the 2009 bear and "not losing everything".
Great story keep fighting the good fight!! As a fellow small business owner, its slog that most people don't understand until you become a small business owner, as an employee I never "got it" once I became a business owner and realized the buck stops right in front of me I "got it".

codybanks
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:48 am
Location: TX

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by codybanks » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Congrats.. :sharebeer

Life as a programmer is really tough specially last 6-7 years where things keep changing every 6 months. I have 15 more years to go reading stories like yours are great inspiration.

ssquared87
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Thank you for sharing your progression.

As someone in my early 30s, I constantly feel like I am behind and I need to do something yesterday to bolster my income, do better with savings business etc.

Your example of hard work over a period of time is refreshing and a great reminder to keep your eye on the long term.

snowox
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by snowox » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Awesome story you shared! as a person that was a small business owner I understand the roller coaster ride! The way you remember and detailed it out is a great teaching tool! Congrats to you and YOUR WIFE! :sharebeer

winterfan
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by winterfan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for the post- I love reading these personal stories. I have a child in private school and I love her school and her environment. I'd have a hard time pulling her out, so I totally get the inner turmoil you must have wrestled with! I agree about the automatic investments too. It's a lot easier for me to invest and then just deal with what I have to spend rather than set money aside to invest.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 11942
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by HomerJ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:44 pm

winterfan wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm
I have a child in private school and I love her school and her environment. I'd have a hard time pulling her out, so I totally get the inner turmoil you must have wrestled with!
I should explain that I'm not against private schools in general.

But they are very expensive, and the OP had THREE kids.

Far more economical to use some the money one is spending on THREE private school tuitions to buy a nicer more expensive house in a neighborhood with a good public school.

Because when the kids graduate, you can sell the house and get most/all/more of your money back. Money sent to the private school is gone forever.

gougou
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by gougou » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Very inspiring story! I can feel the emotion and stress during the hard times. I'm too young and never struggled through a recession so this is a great lesson for me!

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:53 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:39 pm
bigwood177 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm
1985: 31 years old. Salary 45,000/year. Married, wife pregnant with first child.
Working on my tax return I realize I need to find a way to save for retirement. I consider giving blood once a month.
I wanted to put the $45K/year salary in perspective.

Michael Lewis in his book "Liar's Poker" writes about being a bond salesman at Salomon Brothers in the early 1980's. He wrote about a corporate finance job for new graduates in 1982: "The starting salary was about twenty-five thousand dollars a year plus bonus."

And about starting at Salomon Brothers in 1985:
Salomon Brothers had written me in London to announce that it would pay me an M.B.A.'s wage—though I had no M.B.A.—of forty-two thousand dollars plus a bonus after the first six months of six thousand more. At that time I hadn't had the education required to feel poor on forty-eight thousand dollars (then equivalent to forty-five thousand British pounds) a year.
Great book.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:59 am

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:44 pm
winterfan wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 pm
I have a child in private school and I love her school and her environment. I'd have a hard time pulling her out, so I totally get the inner turmoil you must have wrestled with!
I should explain that I'm not against private schools in general.

But they are very expensive, and the OP had THREE kids.

Far more economical to use some the money one is spending on THREE private school tuitions to buy a nicer more expensive house in a neighborhood with a good public school.

Because when the kids graduate, you can sell the house and get most/all/more of your money back. Money sent to the private school is gone forever.
In general I've always been conservative when considering what I can *afford*.
Not every investment return can be measured in dollars.
Maybe it's easy to say after everything ended up working out, but I've never regretted a dime spent on my kids education.

bigwood177
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by bigwood177 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:01 am

codybanks wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:50 pm
Congrats.. :sharebeer

Life as a programmer is really tough specially last 6-7 years where things keep changing every 6 months. I have 15 more years to go reading stories like yours are great inspiration.
I can remember being in exactly that same position 15 years ago.
I wish I had some sage advice to pass along, but I don't - hang in there.

sksbog
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by sksbog » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:11 am

bigwood177 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 am
stemikger wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm


Congrats!
I've got friends who are still patting themselves on the back for selling at the bottom of the 2009 bear and "not losing everything".
LOL

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 am

bigwood177 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm
I've been inspired by reading some of the first person accounts on this forum, and after reading the "2nd Million is easier" post decided to submit my own story. Hopefully it will be inspiring to some and I'm sure the comments will be educational to others.
Great story, bigwood177!

I think all of us who worked, lived, and invested (or tried to invest) through the secular bear market of 2000-2013+ could write a story of what it took to get through it all, and where we ended up at this juncture in time.

Every generation will get the chance to live through a boom-bust secular cycle or two or three. So your story illustrates a lot for those who are in young careers and young investing cycles right now that have yet to experience the bust cycle part of life in terms of career and finances.

You've earned your stripes!

Image
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

jackietreehorn
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by jackietreehorn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 am

Thank you for posting this.

User avatar
Top99%
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:30 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by Top99% » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks for posting this and our own path started in 1985 as well. But, we really didn't start paying attention until 1999. Before then I can't even remember what funds we put our 401K money in. In 1999 I had Nortel stock options worth $X MM so I figured I was set and didn't need to worry about "investing". That all changed at 5:01PM on Oct 17th 2000 when those stock options permanently went to $0. So watching our net worth decline from $(X + .3)MM to $.3MM in 5 minutes inspired me to learn about investing and increase our savings rate to >70% to recapture that X MM of lost ground. REITs in the 2000s and Stocks in the 2009 purchased on sale were the ticket for us. The lesson is save and invest through thick and thin and if you are in the accumulation phase pray for the combination of cheap assets and stable income to invest from.
Adapt or perish

ACA
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:51 am

Re: How I got to $1.5MM

Post by ACA » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:05 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:44 pm
Money sent to the private school is gone forever.
:oops:

We have four kids in a private school. All are thriving. Best academic move we made for our children.

Post Reply