Please Post Tax Bill Questions Here [was Tax Bill Omnibus Thread]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Please Post Tax Bill Questions Here [was Tax Bill Omnibus Thread]

Post by Alex Frakt »

Normally we would not open discussion on new bills until they are signed into law. However, given that the new tax act has been approved by both houses and the short period of time left until the end of the year to make any changes, we will open this up for discussion now on this thread. Duplicate threads will be merged here until the bill is actually signed into law.

To the extent possible, let's focus on what should be done now. For example, it appears that it makes sense to make charitable donations for 2017 if the provisions of the act will have you switching from itemized to standard deductions in 2018.

[Note: title edited for clarity.]

I posted the following on page 13 of this thread, reposting below for anyone starting this thread now.
Please note that we are merging duplicate threads here. If something looks out of place, check the post title, it may be from a merged thread.

Another thing, we made an exception to our rule that laws must be enacted before they can be discussed in order to give people a chance to figure out if they need to take any actions before the end of the year. While we will not be moderating discussions that go beyond this issue, please keep in mind that not everything can be or need be answered now. Some of the issues presented, for example those on pass through entity deductions, may be better addressed once relevant experts and/or the responsible government agencies have a chance to read, digest and publish guidance on the text of the enacted law.
betablocker

Re: Tax Act Omnibus Thread

Post by betablocker »

Prepay your mortgage but the bill explicitly forbids deducting a 2018 SALT payment against 2017
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Thank you Alex.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
treesrock

Post by treesrock »

What are people doing with their governmental and non-governmental 457(b) contributions starting January 2018? I am reading mixed things about how these non-qualified accounts are going to be taxed, etc, and I can't make any sense of the bill itself.
mffl

Post by mffl »

I wanted to say thank you as well. I am in 100% agreement with the rules, but I appreciate the exception granted in this case.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Here is a link to the text of the bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... ill/1/text
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

It's not clear whether the law actually will be signed before the end of 2017. Bloomberg reports that the President may wait until January to sign the law, to avoid triggering automatic spending cuts to Medicare and other programs.
White House National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn said Trump would sign the bill this year if Congress is able to pass a separate provision waiving automatic spending cuts as part of a year-end spending deal to avoid a government shut down before Friday. If not, Trump would sign the bill in early 2018, he said.

Under the so-called PAYGO law, automatic cuts to Medicare and other spending categories would be triggered by the tax bill in January because the bill is scored as increasing the deficit by $1.5 trillion over ten years. Waiting until January means that those cuts would be delayed until 2019, according to budget expert Ed Lorenzen of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

This was shared in the previous thread for some basic playing around with AGI and how the deduction/exemption/credit/rate changes affect the total federal income tax:

http://taxplancalculator.com/

In particular, for those who would have itemized, it might show that in 2018+, you will be taking the standard deduction, so as Alex pointed out, maybe donate to charity sooner in 2017. (But not prepay 2018 property taxes as those will be counted towards 2018 tax year and not be allowed for 2017.)
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

betablocker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:20 pm Prepay your mortgage but the bill explicitly forbids deducting a 2018 SALT payment against 2017
That prohibition only reaches to income taxes.
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

betablocker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:20 pm Prepay your mortgage but the bill explicitly forbids deducting a 2018 SALT payment against 2017
Just to clarify:
Congress wrote:an amount paid in a taxable year beginning before January 1, 2018, with respect to a State or local income tax imposed for a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017, shall be treated as paid on the last day of the taxable year for which such tax is so imposed.
Prepaid property taxes, which are not income taxes, do not appear to be covered by the same provision.
“The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.” - Albert Allen Bartlett
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

EddyB wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:29 pm
That prohibition only reaches to income taxes.
That is my understanding as well. Or sales taxes, but that's an either/or.
mffl

Re: Tax Bill Omnibus Thread

Post by mffl »

It looks like the expanded standard deduction opens up a lot of opportunities for bunching.

For example, I think I'll hit the 10k SALT cap, plus 6k mortgage interest each year plus... that's basically it? I used to have a large mileage deduction but that appears to be absent from the new law. In my case the only additional deduction that I can bunch is my charitable contributions, which I can pay every odd year, and then take the standard deduction every even year now.

That said, I don't know if my business will count as a "service business" and/or whether the 20% pass through deduction will count only when itemizing.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Re: Calculators for the Tax Reduction and Jobs Act
Anyone know of a good two-year comparison calculator of the tax bill before and after the new Act?
I tried one on Marketwatch (below) and it appears I'll be getting a significant reduction, but I want to cross-check it and compare 2017/2018 side by side. Also tried the taxplancalculator.com site above, but since I've never heard of the author...
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-n ... 2017-10-26
Last edited by Diogenes on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I was planning to pay my full property tax bill in December to capture a better deduction. The bill in my municipality is cut December 1, 2017 and the town states:

"FIRST HALF PAYMENT DUE: Payable and Post marked January 10th without penalty. First and second payments may be paid at the same time prior to January 10th

SECOND HALF PAYMENT DUE: Payable and Post marked by May 31st without penalty."

As I read the law, I should be able to do this, correct? I am not pre-paying or making a deposit for a bill coming in 2018.

Quoted from another thread, cyclesafe said:
Section 11042 of the new tax bill states "For purposes of subparagraph (B), an amount paid in a taxable year beginning before January 1, 2018, with respect to a State or local income tax imposed for a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017, shall be treated as paid on the last day of the taxable year for which such tax is so imposed.’’. This means that no state and local tax (SALT) tax imposed in 2018 (or later) is deductible in 2017 - only in 2018, even if paid ("as a deposit") in 2017 . This includes state income taxes and local income and property taxes.
Last edited by alpenglow on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caseynshan

Post by caseynshan »

My personal situation/Strategy

Feel free to add constructive criticism.. might help someone else..

State Tax - 9k
Prop Tax - 3k
subtotal 12k (will be limited to 10k in 2018)
Mort Interest - 6k
charity -15k
---------
Total deductions 2017 - 33k
Total deductions 2018 - 31k

2018 - 31k more than 24k standard deduct.. so no need to bunch Charity. (I don't want to bunch all 30k/0k.. realistically would only bunch charity something like 26k/4k.. which wouldn't end up mattering.)

Can try to reduce SALT a little.. (I have held off on 529 contribution, and will hold that for 2018 which will reduce my State Tax)
Prepaying Mort Interest would not be helpful.. could try to prepay state tax.. but due to amount.. probably not worth confusion.

AMT not a concern
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

1. Recharacterization of Roth IRA Conversions will be gone as of 1/1/18. Think you may still be able to undo a 2017 conversion next year until October, but don't take my word for it. No more doing multiple conversions and undoing the least profitable. I didn't think that was widespread and I'm surprised it got noticed

2. Kiddie tax income will now be taxed at Trust rates (not the parents rate)
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Trying to decide if I should prepay real estate taxes this year due to higher marginal rates this year and higher std deduction next. I think it is a good idea but I guess now I can run the numbers to decide for sure. Real estate tax is high in Texas making up for the lack of a state income tax.
Last edited by onthecusp on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mffl

Post by mffl »

alpenglow wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 pm I was planning to pay my full property tax bill in December to capture a better deduction. The bill in my municipality is cut December 1, 2017 and the town states:

"FIRST HALF PAYMENT DUE: Payable and Post marked January 10th without penalty. First and second payments may be paid at the same time prior to January 10th

As I read the law, I should be able to do this, correct? I am not pre-paying or making a deposit for a bill coming in 2018.
I think the question will come down to whether the taxing entity considers it payment for 2017 taxes or 2018 taxes. I'd call and ask, but my guess is 2017 so you should be safe. For example, my jurisdiction taxes for the 2017 year, sends out the payment notices in May (!) and the due date is January 31 of the following year. There's a half pay option (pay half by Nov 30, then other half is due by June 30 following year), but in this case I think it's in my interest to pay this year, and I should be in the clear as it's for *2017* taxes, regardless of the due date structure.
Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord »

Well, it looks like 529 plans just got a whole lot more interesting:
TREATMENT OF ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY TUITION.—Any reference in this subsection to the term ‘qualified higher education expense’ shall include a reference to expenses for tuition in connection with enrollment or attendance at an elementary or secondary public, private, or religious school.”.
I for one am going to take a good look at upping my contributions for my preschool aged kids.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Thanks for the calculator, looks like I'll be saving ~$3k next year :beer
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Does this affect Roth conversion strategy or timing? I'd think the only issues would be that (1) the changes in tax brackets may change the amounts converted in 2018, etc. at the margins and (2) the elimination of Roth re-characterization may limit some cleverness, but am wondering if there are other implications?
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

pshonore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:37 pm 1. Recharacterization of Roth IRA Conversions will be gone as of 1/1/18. Think you may still be able to undo a 2017 conversion next year until October, but don't take my word for it. No more doing multiple conversions and undoing the least profitable. I didn't think that was widespread and I'm surprised it got noticed
I've been closely following this, as I converted with plans to partially recharacterize.... Wall Street Journal is indicating that recharacterizations for 2017 must be done by end of the year [But Kitces disagrees, and text of the Bill seems to support your thought on recharacterization of 2017 conversions, as discussed below:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=235146&start=50#p3673733 ]:
Taxpayers who did a conversion this year and are considering recharacterizing it must act by the end of 2017.

Probably paywalled, but here is link: https://www.wsj.com/graphics/taxes-investing/ (In "Retirees" section) Next stop is the Bill....

Edited to add bracketed material and link to my later post in this thread.
Last edited by JDCarpenter on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
rrouse

Post by rrouse »

How does the 20% deduction for pass-through income interact with AMT? It seems like if you had to add the deduction back in, it would negate the benefit (then again, that seems to be the point of AMT).
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

mffl wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 pm
alpenglow wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 pm I was planning to pay my full property tax bill in December to capture a better deduction. The bill in my municipality is cut December 1, 2017 and the town states:

I think the question will come down to whether the taxing entity considers it payment for 2017 taxes or 2018 taxes. I'd call and ask, but my guess is 2017 so you should be safe. For example, my jurisdiction taxes for the 2017 year, sends out the payment notices in May (!) and the due date is January 31 of the following year. There's a half pay option (pay half by Nov 30, then other half is due by June 30 following year), but in this case I think it's in my interest to pay this year, and I should be in the clear as it's for *2017* taxes, regardless of the due date structure.
Officially, the my property tax bill says, "Statement of taxes 2017-2018".
mffl

Post by mffl »

caseynshan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:36 pm My personal situation/Strategy

State Tax - 9k
Prop Tax - 3k
Mort Interest - 6k
charity -15k
---------

2018 - 31k more than 24k standard deduct.. so no need to bunch Charity. (I don't want to bunch all 30k/0k.. realistically would only bunch charity something like 26k/4k.. which wouldn't end up mattering.)

Can try to reduce SALT a little.. (I have held off on 529 contribution, and will hold that for 2018 which will reduce my State Tax)
Prepaying Mort Interest would not be helpful.. could try to prepay state tax.. but due to amount.. probably not worth confusion.

AMT not a concern
You could look into something like a Donor Advised Fund. It's like your very own little charitable foundation. It allows you to disentangle the date you get the charitable deduction from the date you actually make the distribution to the charity. Fidelity has a good one. It's really simple to set up and has the added benefit of being able to donate appreciated stock, and then you avoid the cap gains on the appreciated stock. Then you would in fact bunch up charity 30k/0k in terms of when the donation to the DAF was, but you could continue to distribute funds to your desired charity on the desired donation schedule.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:34 pm Re: Calculators for the Tax Reduction and Jobs Act
Anyone know of a good two-year comparison calculator of the tax bill before and after the new Act?
www.taxplancalculator.com (ymmv).

Also a Forbes FAQ here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphill ... nd-answers
Last edited by SrGrumpy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Seasonal wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:41 pm Does this affect Roth conversion strategy or timing? I'd think the only issues would be that (1) the changes in tax brackets may change the amounts converted in 2018, etc. at the margins and (2) the elimination of Roth re-characterization may limit some cleverness, but am wondering if there are other implications?
For us, the size of the 24% bracket is going to allow us to accelerate conversions. We plan to do big conversion in Jan, then a tailored one in late December to fill that bracket up. The timing of the latter is due to inability to recharacterize any overshots.
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

JDCarpenter wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:44 pm
Seasonal wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:41 pm Does this affect Roth conversion strategy or timing? I'd think the only issues would be that (1) the changes in tax brackets may change the amounts converted in 2018, etc. at the margins and (2) the elimination of Roth re-characterization may limit some cleverness, but am wondering if there are other implications?
For us, the size of the 24% bracket is going to allow us to accelerate conversions. We plan to do big conversion in Jan, then a tailored one in late December to fill that bracket up. The timing of the latter is due to inability to recharacterize any overshots.
I will be doing the same thing, just in the 12% bracket. Big conversion in Jan with a top up at the end of the year.
Purdue

Post by Purdue »

Be careful of the AMT impact if bunching property taxes into 2017 (if you are even able to). AMT has gotten me for a while now because of itemized deductions for property/state/local taxes -- but no more beginning next year!
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

This is a good personal summary of tax changes for individuals.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/final-gop-t ... trategies/
mffl

Post by mffl »

JDCarpenter wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:44 pm
That's what I'm thinking. It may be wise for a lot of people to take full advantage of the 24% bracket as the next bracket down is only 2% lower, 24% is a pretty good rate, it's a pretty wide bracket, and the next one up is a huge jump (32%).
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

As per my understanding, I should donate to the charity now for whatever amount that I budgeted for next year. This is true if my total itemized deduction for 2018 will not exceed the new standard deduction limit.

Please confirm.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
mffl

Post by mffl »

Tanelorn wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:48 pm This is a good personal summary of tax changes for individuals.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/final-gop-t ... trategies/
Having just read that, I highly recommend it as well. Very exhaustive, and much better than the 10 bullet point Forbes, WSJ or [fill in standard media outlet here] articles.
llama

Post by llama »

My locality explicitly forbids prepaying property taxes. It looks like my best move would be to open a Donor Advised Fund.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

So my impression of the comments here is that property taxes are NOT part of "SALT".

Is my understanding correct? It is only state and local INCOME taxes that are capped?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Will be paying Jan and Feb mortgage payments this month. Doesn't look like I'll be itemizing any longer.

IMP EDIT: Later on in thread it was determined that only the Jan payment is deductible due to tax rules.
Last edited by Drew31 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob65

Post by rob65 »

Smorgasbord wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 pm Well, it looks like 529 plans just got a whole lot more interesting:
TREATMENT OF ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY TUITION.—Any reference in this subsection to the term ‘qualified higher education expense’ shall include a reference to expenses for tuition in connection with enrollment or attendance at an elementary or secondary public, private, or religious school.”.
I for one am going to take a good look at upping my contributions for my preschool aged kids.
I might be wrong, so please verify this elsewhere, but I think one of the 3 changes required by Senate rules eliminated this provision. I think 529 withdrawals will still only be allowed for post-secondary education. Again, I might be wrong.

I was wrong. See the link in mffl's response below.
Last edited by rob65 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mffl

Post by mffl »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm Folks,

As per my understanding, I should donate to the charity now for whatever amount that I budgeted for next year. This is true if my total itemized deduction for 2018 will not exceed the new standard deduction limit.

Please confirm.

KlangFool
Yep, that's my understanding. I'm currently considering contributing perhaps even several years' worth of charitable contributions in 2017 using a Donor Advised Fund, and then distributing the money to the charities whenever I see fit, and taking those capital gains off the table too. The impact of the tax bracket reduction going into 2018, plus taking the standard deduction for a few years, plus the cap gains benefit is pretty hard to ignore.
mffl

Post by mffl »

rob65 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm
Smorgasbord wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 pm Well, it looks like 529 plans just got a whole lot more interesting:
I might be wrong, so please verify this elsewhere, but I think one of the 3 changes required by Senate rules eliminated this provision. I think 529 withdrawals will still only be allowed for post-secondary education. Again, I might be wrong.
My understanding was the only thing related to 529 plans that got changed in today's revote was the ability to use 529s for home schooling.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/19/byrd-rule-gop-tax-bill/
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Here's the language of the Roth IRA recharacterization clause:
Subpart B—Retirement Plans
SEC. 13611. REPEAL OF SPECIAL RULE PERMITTING RECHARACTERIZATION OF ROTH CONVERSIONS.

(a) In General.—Section 408A(d)(6)(B) is amended by adding at the end the following new clause:

“(iii) CONVERSIONS.—Subparagraph (A) shall not apply in the case of a qualified rollover contribution to which subsection (d)(3) applies (including by reason of subparagraph (C) thereof).”.

(b) Effective Date.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017.
I interpret that as saying a recharacterizion of a conversion made in 2017 is still allowed; others may interpret it differently.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Drew31 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm Will be paying Jan and Feb mortgage payments this month. Doesn't look like I'll be itemizing any longer.
I would suggest to check with your mortgage company whether they will report the interest for those payments in 2017 or 2018.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
homerj15

Post by homerj15 »

BolderBoy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:51 pm So my impression of the comments here is that property taxes are NOT part of "SALT".

Is my understanding correct? It is only state and local INCOME taxes that are capped?
If you look at the law text under Section 11042, it does not mention anything about local property taxes. It does mention SALT taxes so my take is that it's okay. Any other thoughts?
...For purposes of subparagraph (B), an amount paid in a taxable year beginning before January 1, 2018, with respect to a State or local income tax imposed for a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017, shall be treated as paid on the last day of the taxable year for which such tax is so imposed.”.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

So where to find what they agreed on without too much details? (Tax brackets, standard deductions..etc)?
I found the brackets, but needed the standard deductions changes..
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
caseynshan

Post by caseynshan »

mffl wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:43 pm
caseynshan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:36 pm My personal situation/Strategy

State Tax - 9k
Prop Tax - 3k
Mort Interest - 6k
charity -15k
---------

AMT not a concern
You could look into something like a Donor Advised Fund. It's like your very own little charitable foundation. It allows you to disentangle the date you get the charitable deduction from the date you actually make the distribution to the charity. Fidelity has a good one. It's really simple to set up and has the added benefit of being able to donate appreciated stock, and then you avoid the cap gains on the appreciated stock. Then you would in fact bunch up charity 30k/0k in terms of when the donation to the DAF was, but you could continue to distribute funds to your desired charity on the desired donation schedule.
Excellent Idea.
NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm Folks,

Please confirm.

KlangFool
Yes, I would do this. I also would consider a donor-advised fund if you want to take the charitable deduction now but contribute to your charities in future years.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mffl

Post by mffl »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 pm So where to find what they agreed on without too much details? (Tax brackets, standard deductions..etc)?
I found the brackets, but needed the standard deductions changes..
This seems like a pretty good simple summary that includes tax brackets and thresholds, and also standard deductions and other changes.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/news/ec ... index.html