How do Bogleheads save on eyeglasses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fortfun

How do Bogleheads save on eyeglasses?

Post by fortfun » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Any tricks, stores, coupons, websites, etc. that Bogleheads use to save money on eyeglasses? Brick and mortar seems expensive but proper fit seems problematic with the online stores. Is shopping brick and mortar, and then asking them to match, or come close to online stores the best bet?

dm200

Re: How do Bogleheads save on eyeglasses?

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:26 pm

fortfun wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 pm
Any tricks, stores, coupons, websites, etc. that Bogleheads use to save money on eyeglasses? Brick and mortar seems expensive but proper fit seems problematic with the online stores. Is shopping brick and mortar, and then asking them to match, or come close to online stores the best bet?
My wife watches for discounts, deals, etc. Her best deals seem to be the promotional/discounts from Lens Crafters.

We have progressive lenses. There are different types/qualities of lenses - I chose the middle quality.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:31 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:26 pm
fortfun wrote:
My wife watches for discounts, deals, etc. Her best deals seem to be the promotional/discounts from Lens Crafters.

We have progressive lenses. There are different types/qualities of lenses - I chose the middle quality.
Thanks DM200!

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 pm

fortfun wrote:
I have had good luck with Costco....

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Just get them online. Sites like Warby Parker or Zenni Optical will often send you sample frames to try on and return so you can get an idea for fit. The markup on glasses in brick and mortar stores is just too large. You pay $500 for what you can get for $50 online. The worst part is that the majority of frames are all made by the same company, so it's not like you are even getting a better product. This applies to designer frames as well; the difference in price is all marketing.

Also, another way brick and mortar stores try to force you to buy from them is by refusing to tell you your pupillary distance. However, there are cheap rulers you can buy, or apps even that will allow you to do this yourself.
Last edited by nimo956 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm

I've been buying from EyeBuyDirect for about a decade and have been pleased with price and quality. My wife not so much only because they don't have any glasses that meet her sense of fashion. I did note however that with our vision insurance, my wife bought her glasses last time through a brick and mortar eyeglass place and paid about the same for what I did through EyeBuyDirect the last time, quite a bit different than ten years ago which is what drove me to look other places.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:36 pm

nimo956 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 pm
Just get them online. Sites like Warby Parker or Zenni Optical will often send you sample frames to try on and return so you can get an idea for fit. The markup on glasses in brick and mortar stores is just too large. You pay $500 for what you can get for $50 online. The worst part is that the majority of frames are all made by the same company, so it's not like you are even getting a better product. This applies to designer frames as well; the difference in price is all marketing.

Also, another way brick and mortar stores try to force you to buy from them is by refusing to tell you your pupillary distance. However, there are cheap rulers you can buy, or apps even that will allow you to do this yourself.
Thanks Nimo! That's what I thought.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm
I've been buying from EyeBuyDirect for about a decade and have been pleased with price and quality. My wife not so much only because they don't have any glasses that meet her sense of fashion. I did note however that with our vision insurance, my wife bought her glasses last time through a brick and mortar eyeglass place and paid about the same for what I did through EyeBuyDirect the last time, quite a bit different than ten years ago which is what drove me to look other places.
Thanks LThenderson.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Costco
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:55 pm

We were some of the first people to go to online ordering. It has been great in some cases and in other situations, a brick and mortar store has been better. You do need to be able to pick an appropriate frame size. And fit and specifications for progressive lenses, high astigmatism, etc can be hard to get right with online ordering.

I will be getting my next pair of glasses at brick and mortar because some of those issues have made it difficult to get it right from Zenni this time. My mother used to work for one of the national chain optical shops. At that time anyway, they had a discount code worth 30% off that they could always use if the customer had no other discounts and they felt it was necessary to make the sale.

I have not tried Costco but I did use Sam’s once. The glasses were not the same quality as I was used to and were inferior to Zenni. But that is just one experience.

I would say to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. One person’s use of high index lenses is not the same as another. Now, if you have single vision lenses with minimal astigmatism and a small amount of correction, then the details will not be as important.

john4546

Post by john4546 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Costco or Sams Club.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:09 pm

I rarely get new frames. I just have them put new lenses in the old frames.
It's not so much a savings strategy as a problem finding frames I like, that accommodate large lenses. Years ago I had a frame I really liked. Later, the optometrist ordered another from the catalog in a different color. For many years when I needed a new prescription (which is not every year) they could just swap out the old lenses in one pair and put the newer lenses in the other. That way I always had a good backup pair, not too off-prescription from the current pair.

That all fell apart this year when I did a face plant on the streets of Paris and ruined my favorite pair. (But I did have my backup pair with me!) And to top it off, this year the doc prescribed new lenses. I looked at many stores and could not find a frame I liked, so I dug through some boxes at home and found a frame I had used years ago that I really liked and was still in great condition. Those are my "new" glasses. So, saving and reusing would be my BH economizing tip.

BTW: I also save some calendars and reuse them in years when the dates line up. I have quite the collection of great ape picture calendars. :P

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Costco optical
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Zenni optical
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

sport

Post by sport » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:39 pm

DW bought new glasses at Costco last week. Transition lenses (self darkening), trifocals, lens coatings, new frames, $205, including our 8% sales tax.

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 pm

https://www.zennioptical.com/

We have had really good success with this company.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm

One word: Monocles.

You can get them for half the price.

JT

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Sams optical
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

beingzero

Post by beingzero » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Duplicate post deleted
Last edited by beingzero on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beingzero

Post by beingzero » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Try Warby Parker. $95 for glasses and awesome frames and no insurance needed.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 pm

I just want to say that unsubsidized vision insurance is not worth. Without a workplace subsidy, it is cheaper to buy eyeglasses out of the pocket, online is better.

dual

Post by dual » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Goggles4u.com

check around for online coupons. They are always having sales.

BTW, it's easy to get interpupillary distance. Depending on your vision, just look in a mirror and line up a ruler marked with millimeters with the centers of your pupils. If your vision does not allow it, get a friend to do it.

I use separate prescriptions for distance and reading. I get computer glasses by increasing my long distance prescription diopters by 1. The glasses are so cheap it pays to experiment and this worked the first time.

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm

a few years back, I tried zenni. They are cheap (price and quality). This last time I tried Costco. Much better than zenni and not much more expensive.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm

It's worth the $55 Costco membership even if you only buy one pair of glasses there. My wife spent more than twice as much at an optician's shop for progressive bifocals as she did at Costco the next year. Service was great, the staff friendly. They certainly do not have the variety of frames that Lenscrafters et al have, but since they avoid the Luxottica monopoly the prices are much lower.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:11 pm

I buy the best I can for the best price.
Remember it is YOUR eyes we are talking about.
The last two pair were from Walmart Optical
2nd pair 50% off regular price.
Progressive trifocals,High index ,transition lens Nikon digital.
Excellent frames .
1st pair was 450.
Completely satisfied.
Better price and quality than when I purchased from Sams Club.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Wifey and I get our prescription glasses from Zenni.com

$6.95 complete (frames & glass)
Funding secured

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Zenni Optical

I got a pair of glasses from them for $50.00! Progressive lens with anti-reflective coating.

They have a virtual try on feature that gives you a general idea of what they will look like.

This was my first pair of glasses, I rolled the dice. Used Costco for the exam, got my prescription, ordered online. LOVE my glasses.

There was a small problem with the glasses so they sent me a new frame. I chipped the lens trying to swap frames so they sent me a new pair. Customer service was great.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

For us Costco is the lower cost and good quality too.

Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Costco if you need someone to fit you . Zenni works great if you can take your own measurements .
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 pm

dual wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:20 pm
Goggles4u.com

check around for online coupons. They are always having sales.

BTW, it's easy to get interpupillary distance. Depending on your vision, just look in a mirror and line up a ruler marked with millimeters with the centers of your pupils. If your vision does not allow it, get a friend to do it.

I use separate prescriptions for distance and reading. I get computer glasses by increasing my long distance prescription diopters by 1. The glasses are so cheap it pays to experiment and this worked the first time.
+1

I used them based on recommendations here (may have even been dual's). They were the only online vendor that would meet my exact needs (bifocals with different reading power in each eye but no correction for distance vision) at a reasonable price. I have probably gotten a dozen or more e-mail discount offers from them in the past few weeks--seasonal I presume since they don't usually market me that aggressively. I was very happy with their glasses.

But to answer the question in the thread title: I saved the most after cataract surgery corrected my distance vision to the point that I no longer need glasses for that :beer

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Costco optical especially if you require tricky to fit correctly progressive lenses. Materials, lab, and lens material quality at Costco is very good.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I only need eyeglasses for reading I buy cheaters (magnifying) glasses at BJ's around $20 for 3 pair

afan

Post by afan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:13 pm

I have used Replacement Lens Express. I replace the lenses and do not buy new frames.
I get a fair number of higher priced features that I thought were worth it, your mileage may vary. It has been about 50% the cost of using a bricks and mortar optometrist.

Re pupilary distance: somewhere I got the notion that they were required to tell you. In any case, I get eye exams from ophthalmologists and they cheerfully enter that information along with the prescription. The opthalmologists do not sell glasses so they have nothing to gain by playing this game.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm

any tips on a cheap, but good eye exam ?

my vision / dental sucks at work so i opted out - i see check ups around me go for around $100 w/o insurance, is this decent?

do these cheaper retailers also provide eye exams?

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Through work I had a program called VSP...which I thought gave me good deals when purchasing glasses at my Opthamoligist's office. Come to find that Costco was a MUCH BETTER option even with my supposed discount.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

FraggleRock

Save?

Post by FraggleRock » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Me. Costco. Once every 5+ years.
Wife. Zenni. But, she is not saving any money as she appears to buying glasses on a weekly basis.

gretah

Post by gretah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:27 pm

ZenniOptical.com

I've been happy with multiple purchases from them over 8 years.

I get the tech at my eye doctor's office to give me the measurements I need to order online.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Another vote for Costco!

aceoperations

Post by aceoperations » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:18 pm

goggles4u.com

My current pair cost me $12, with anti reflective coating. My two kids have done some pretty bad things to it. :twisted: :twisted: Still typing this post with them.

Post by 123 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Costco Costco Costco Costco Costco Costco Costco Costco Costco Costco
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

mffl

Post by mffl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:24 pm

+1 for ZenniOptical.com. You can get glasses for as little as $7. That's so inexpensive that even if you hate them you can just throw them away or use as a backup pair. That said, we've bought several pair for wife and kid over the years and they love it. Quality is great. If you're inclined, at that price you can even buy glasses to match outfits....

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:29 pm

123 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 pm
^ This!!

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm

123 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 pm
+ Costco

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:35 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:39 pm
I only need eyeglasses for reading I buy cheaters (magnifying) glasses at BJ's around $20 for 3 pair
Same here, except I buy a half dozen pair at the dollar store. One strength for reading, and another for computer work. They seem just as good as my former prescription glasses, as confirmed by my optician.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Some things I've done to keep costs down:
-make use of a flexible spending account
-keep old frames and replace only the lenses
-buy a basic pair of glasses at Costco (no tinting, etc.)
-keep glasses for a long time

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 pm

I use eyebuydirect. Never had a problem with fit.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raamakoti

Post by raamakoti » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:41 pm

https://www.zennioptical.com/
Worked great for me - twice, I ordered progressive bi-focal no line. Really light weight for $70
But it did not work for my wife.

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm

https://www.zennioptical.com

I have gotten 4-5 pairs from here over the past ten years. Should probably get another soon...
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 pm

https://www.zennioptical.com

I have gotten 4-5 pairs from here over the past ten years. Should probably get another soon...
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau

MarvinK

Post by MarvinK » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Costco
So convenient, and affordable!
Sometimes there is a special for $30-$40 off the 2nd pair
I primarily use my glasses for driving and keep them in the car and office desk drawer.
Brick and mortar is great to have adjustments.