Are you prepaying real-estate taxes this year?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
serbeer

Are you prepaying real-estate taxes this year?

Post by serbeer »

Just read this article
https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-po ... tax-bills/

Pending legislation itself should not be discussed per forum rules, but let me ask you a practical and very actionable question with potential to save thousands of dollars: are you pre-paying next year property taxes this year? Why or why not?

Not sure why the article talks about pre-paying 1st installment only. It seems, if one made a decision to pre-pay and has means to do so, the whole year tax would be twice as beneficial...
livesoft

Re: Are you prepaying real-estate taxes this year?

Post by livesoft »

No. We bunched our deductions last year, so 2017 is a standard deduction year for us. Paying 2018 taxes in late Dec 2017 would do us no good.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I think it's being discussed in various topics already.

It depends. How much of the actual tax dollars would you save? Do you have any AMT limitation? Everyone's tax situation is different.
Time is the ultimate currency.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Is there something the 200+ posts in this ongoing thread left out of the discussion?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

My county won't take the money. I am blasting another remnant stock into my DAF though.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
1year23

Post by 1year23 »

I asked my accountant about this and he said it wouldn't help because we are subject to AMT. Did anyone else get this response?
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

1year23 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 pm I asked my accountant about this and he said it wouldn't help because we are subject to AMT. Did anyone else get this response?
Yes. State income tax and real estate tax are not figured in calculating your AMT. Depending on your state, you may reduce your state income tax by paying your real estate tax forward.
NancyABQ

Post by NancyABQ »

I'm prepaying for the first time, but it is because my marginal tax rate will probably be lower next year than it is this year.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I will prepay because I retired in July. My income this year will be higher than next year.
tmhudg

Post by tmhudg »

I just did for the first time. I got a large severance this year and was looking for ways to reduce the taxes I have to pay on it. I have no idea if I'm going to run into AMT or not. I figure I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I did last year. I paid $0 tax last year for a change, fell really good. This year I will prepay so my Roth conversion will be in 10% bracket. Get ready to be in 12% bracket next year.
kmurp

Post by kmurp »

1year23 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 pm I asked my accountant about this and he said it wouldn't help because we are subject to AMT. Did anyone else get this response?
I got the same response.
dellfanboy

Post by dellfanboy »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:04 pm Is there something the 200+ posts in this ongoing thread left out of the discussion?
Can you link me to the other thread? I’m getting AMT again this year but won’t have AMT next year. Debating what to do with my property tax.
Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb »

If you are already subject to AMT, then a higher deduction for property taxes won't impact the bottom line tax bill.

In my case, I am accelerating two deductions because I don't believe I will benefit from them in the future. First, I am paying my property taxes in December 2017. Second, I am making a relatively large charitable donation (of highly appreciated stock) to my Donor Advised Fund in 2017.

The donation deduction serves to take me out of AMT, and thus the higher property tax deduction will indeed benefit me in 2017. I know this won't be true for some, but it might be worth considering. Especially since accelerating deductions - for property tax and donations - makes sense for people who don't believe they will benefit from those deductions in future years.

Best wishes.
Andy
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Yes. Every other year I bundle my real estate tax payments because I no longer have enough deductions to itemize every year.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Colorado13 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:05 pm Yes. Every other year I bundle my real estate tax payments because I no longer have enough deductions to itemize every year.
I've had enough deductions to itemize every year, but have still bundled every other year since on the average I save hundreds. This year I will itemize. It's looking like, going forward, I may never itemize again.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:04 pm Is there something the 200+ posts in this ongoing thread left out of the discussion?
I don't think so. There are 276 posts in this locked thread: Prepayment of SALT Taxes? [State and Local]

AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) is part of the proposed tax reform.

This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Political comments and proposed tax plan remain off-topic. The last post is by the site owner, Alex Frakt.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.