Fidelity free Turbotax [2016 - 2021]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
madbrain

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax

Post by madbrain »

harikaried wrote:
harikaried wrote:There seems to be 3 Fidelity qualifying requirements that individually can be satisfied to trigger the TurboTax link:

- being an active trader
- having non-retirement balance of at least $1m (excludes IRA/401k)
- $100k in personal investing (excludes business-related accounts)
I called Premium Services again, and they clarified that the "3" requirements are actually 2: active trader or balance requirements. The latter 2 are part of a combined requirement (which makes more sense now).
This is clear as mud. So, if you are not an active trader (I believe this would exclude most Bogleheads), what are the requirements, really ?

Do you need to have BOTH $1M in non-retirement investments and $100k in personal investing ?
Or EITHER $1M in non-retirement investments or $100k in personal investing ?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I agree with Madbrain that the requirement as written is very confusing.

Do we have an English teacher who can decipher the above statement? Or can somebody call Fidelity again for clarification? :confused
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

madbrain wrote: This is clear as mud. So, if you are not an active trader (I believe this would exclude most Bogleheads), what are the requirements, really ?

Do you need to have BOTH $1M in non-retirement investments and $100k in personal investing ?
I think you're misinterpreting this. I read it as $1m in assets, of which $100k has to be personal (I guess as opposed to trust/business?). I'm not sure if here or elsewhere, but someone reported that they had over $1m in retirement assets but did not have a non-retirement account. They opened a non-retirement brokerage account (presumably with a minimal balance) and that caused them to get the offer. Also, I have less than $1m non-taxable (but more than $1m overall) and had the offer.

Also, what is the difference between non-retirement investments and personal investing?
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

MisterBill wrote:
madbrain wrote: This is clear as mud. So, if you are not an active trader (I believe this would exclude most Bogleheads), what are the requirements, really ?

I think you're misinterpreting this. I read it as $1m in assets, of which $100k has to be personal (I guess as opposed to trust/business?). I'm not sure if here or elsewhere, but someone reported that they had over $1m in retirement assets but did not have a non-retirement account. They opened a non-retirement brokerage account (presumably with a minimal balance) and that caused them to get the offer. Also, I have less than $1m non-taxable (but more than $1m overall) and had the offer.

Also, what is the difference between non-retirement investments and personal investing?
I meet those criteria but have not received the offer.
GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

We're not private clients. We are "Premier"
We do have >> 1MM in retirement accounts at FIdo, and less than $1MM in non-retirement accounts.
We trade, but perhaps 20 trades/year.

The free offer showed up on January 1. (I'd just bought TT on Amazon December 31t. :annoyed
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:We're not private clients. We are "Premier"

The free offer showed up on January 1. (I'd just bought TT on Amazon December 31t. :annoyed
What does your statement say? The website shows Premier for me but my statements show PCG.

Turbotax has a 60 day Satisfaction Guaranteed Refund Policy. If you can't get a refund from Amazon, get it from TT.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/19011 ... und-policy
Last edited by MisterBill on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

The free offer showed up on January 1. (I'd just bought TT on Amazon December 31t.
Call them up and tell them what happened and see if they will reimburse you.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:We're not private clients. We are "Premier"
We do have >> 1MM in retirement accounts at FIdo, and less than $1MM in non-retirement accounts.
We trade, but perhaps 20 trades/year.

Where did you find it? On the initial page or elsewhere?
Beverage

Post by Beverage »

My experience is the same as GreenGrowTheDollars. I only meet the asset criteria if you include retirement accounts, and I don't meet any reasonable active trader criteria.

On my main Portfolio page there is a box that says "Get TurboTax® Online Premier free". I followed the link there just moments ago and it let me download TurboTax Premier for free.
Beverage

Post by Beverage »

I should add that I qualify for "Fidelity Premium Services". I don't know/remember if this is the same as Private Client.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Beverage wrote:My experience is the same as GreenGrowTheDollars. I only meet the asset criteria if you include retirement accounts, and I don't meet any reasonable active trader criteria.

On my main Portfolio page there is a box that says "Get TurboTax® Online Premier free". I followed the link there just moments ago and it let me download TurboTax Premier for free.

I should add that I qualify for "Fidelity Premium Services". I don't know/remember if this is the same as Private Client.
It is my understanding that Premium Services is $250k while Private Client is $1m in total assets. You will see it on your statement.

So far as I can tell from postings here and on other sites, you need $1m in total assets, but it cannot only be in a 401k or IRA. You need to have a regular (taxable) brokerage account as well. Or you can be Premium Services and be an active trader.
Beverage

Post by Beverage »

It is my understanding that Premium Services is $250k while Private Client is $1m in total assets. You will see it on your statement.

So far as I can tell from postings here and on other sites, you need $1m in total assets, but it cannot only be in a 401k or IRA. You need to have a regular (taxable) brokerage account as well. Or you can be Premium Services and be an active trader.
You are right, my statement does say Private Client Group. Though I don't know what the requirements are to achieve this status. If for some reason they require that you have some assets in a taxable brokerage account I guess that is easy enough to do.
retire14

Post by retire14 »

Today, when I logged into my Fido account, I got this:

Get TurboTax® Online Premier free

Receive a free federal and state tax return
TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account

It looks like I am getting Turbo Tax for free. True?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Congrats, Retire14.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

retire14 wrote:It looks like I am getting Turbo Tax for free. True?
You came here to ask instead of just clicking on the link??
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

Finally, this evening, the free link finally appeared on my summary page. Those of you that are Private Client, do not give up hope!
hmw

Post by hmw »

MisterBill wrote:
Beverage wrote:My experience is the same as GreenGrowTheDollars. I only meet the asset criteria if you include retirement accounts, and I don't meet any reasonable active trader criteria.

I chatted with a fido rep today. In order have private Client status, only taxable account counts toward the $1 million. 401k/403b/457 do not count.
tfb

Post by tfb »

hmw wrote:I chatted with a fido rep today. In order have private Client status, only taxable account counts toward the $1 million. 401k/403b/457 do not count.
Only personal. IRAs also count.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

tfb wrote:
hmw wrote:I chatted with a fido rep today. In order have private Client status, only taxable account counts toward the $1 million. 401k/403b/457 do not count.
What about BrokerageLink? Yes, it's a 401(k), but sure looks like it's on the retail side somehow...
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

ryman554 wrote:
tfb wrote:
What about BrokerageLink? Yes, it's a 401(k), but sure looks like it's on the retail side somehow...
Does it show up on your monthly statement? It's easy enough to figure out if you're Private Client Group -- look on your statement. I just checked my statement history and it changed from Premium Services to Private Client Group the month after I added enough assets to go over $1m including my wife's IRA and mine. If definitely did not count my Netbenefits managed 401(k) as I would have been PCG before that if it had.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

No more speculations. He is what fidelity says:

"Fidelity Private Client Group® program membership is generally available to investors whose eligible retail household relationship assets are over $1 million, of which at least $500,000 is registered under the same Social Security number (SSN) or tax identification number (TIN) or lists the same SSN or TIN for the custodian of a Uniform Gifts/Transfers to Minors Act account. Eligible Fidelity retail accounts generally include those maintained by Fidelity Brokerage Services or held in Portfolio Advisory Services accounts [excluding assets maintained through Fidelity-recordkept retirement saving plans, such as 401(k) and 403(b) plan assets]. Household relationship assets will be determined by aggregating the assets of eligible retail accounts held by the investor and his or her immediate family members who reside at the same address."

https://www.fidelity.com/wealth-managem ... ient-group
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

FIREchief wrote:I checked my account and just a simple $20 off. It does not seem to include the "basic" edition, which is available for $30 from Amazon. From what I can see, the basic edition includes all the forms I would need, but doesn't include extras like state tax filing, TurboTax advice/suggestions, etc. I've never used turbotax in the past, preferring to use a spreadsheet and actual IRS forms/instructions to "force" me to learn the real rules. This has served me well over the decades, and is an approach I would recommend to anyone who wants or needs to truly understand our tax system. I may drop the $30 this year just to have a tool to double check numbers, as my taxes have grown a bit more complex.

On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this?? :confused
Yes, I do 100% on line.. why?
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Today, the free link appeared on my Summary tab. :D :D :D I didn't notice it there Friday.

I'm not a private client, nor do I have $1M in my taxable account. I do have retirement accounts at Fidelity, and I am in the Active Trader Group. I barely transacted in 2016. Once an Active Trader, always an Active Trader?

So try again! It has been suggested earlier that FIDO has a finite number of licenses to give away, so try soon :!: And good luck!

Here is the text to look for:
Get TurboTax® Online Premier free

Receive a free federal and state tax return
TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account

Get started now
The link "Get started now" takes you to an Intuit page.

If you click Downloads at the top right of the page (The banner is huge. Scroll past it), you can download Turbotax Premier for free. I clicked the link, put Premier into my cart, and signed in. It showed an $89.00 discount for a price of zero.

If you click 'Get started now' which I did at first, it starts the online version.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

Just saw the "Get TurboTax® Online Premier free" in summary tab today (wasn't there last week) and was able to download and install the PC version. FYI, I'm "Active Trader" with less than 500k at Fido. My parents are Premium, but we have different addresses. I didn't get Turbo Tax free last year, but my parents did.
523HRR

Post by 523HRR »

I purchased the TurboTax 2016 Premier disc through Costco for $70 and sent the invoice to my Fidelity Private Client rep. Reimbursement deposited to my account yesterday.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

So, for those who are actually Fidelity customers, their tax forms are now available for importing in Turbotax. However, while the 1099-DIV and 1099-INT were there, the 1099-MISC for my sign-up bonus was not (it's part of my consolidated form on their website). I'm not sure if it's not going to be, or if I'm just too early.
Last edited by MisterBill on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

MisterBill wrote:So, for those who are actually Fidelity customers, tax forms are now available for downloading in Turbotax.
The 1099R forms have been available for a few weeks from Fido; 1099 Consolidated (INT,DIV,B) are, scheduled for later in February
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

pshonore wrote:
MisterBill wrote:So, for those who are actually Fidelity customers, tax forms are now available for downloading in Turbotax.
The 1099R forms have been available for a few weeks from Fido; 1099 Consolidated (INT,DIV,B) are, scheduled for later in February
The paper version of my 1099's was available on their website on the 25th. It had been saying that everything would be complete by the 28th. Turbotax was reporting that imports would be available today (wouldn't let me even try to download before) and they were, but the 1099MISC isn't there. I'm not sure if it should be or if I have to enter it manually. Interestingly, it downloaded direct deposit info for my brokerage and CMA accounts, so there must be a new feature in Turbotax to collect that info to use when filing.

I didn't have any sales at Fidelity, so no 1099B for me. Maybe that's why I got an earlier date for my forms.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

MisterBill wrote:
pshonore wrote:
The paper version of my 1099's on their website was available on the 25th. It had been saying that everything would be complete by the 28th. Turbotax was reporting that forms would be available today (wouldn't let me even try to download before) and they were, but the 1099MISC wasn't there.

I didn't have any sales so no 1099B for me. Maybe that's why I got an earlier date.
I think the Qualified Dividends vs Non-Qualfied vs ROC is the problem. That could also effect basis on 1099B.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Started using the free Premium TT via the Fidelity link. All fine until entering the 1099-MISC for <$1000, then attempting to enter expenses of less than $100 for this minimal self-employment gig.

TT then said (in effect), "Oh, you have expenses? You'll need to buy this $49.95 add-on for entering expenses. But it's a good deal if you have more than $600 in expenses."

Guess we won't be using TT this year....
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

FiveK wrote:Started using the free Premium TT via the Fidelity link. All fine until entering the 1099-MISC for <$1000, then attempting to enter expenses of less than $100 for this minimal self-employment gig.

TT then said (in effect), "Oh, you have expenses? You'll need to buy this $49.95 add-on for entering expenses. But it's a good deal if you have more than $600 in expenses."

Guess we won't be using TT this year....
Are you using the online version? You should just download the "CD" version instead. It will handle your self-employment income/expenses fine, and worst case if you want Home & Business, it's only a $10 upgrade from Premier.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

MisterBill wrote:Are you using the online version? You should just download the "CD" version instead. It will handle your self-employment income/expenses fine, and worst case if you want Home & Business, it's only a $10 upgrade from Premier.
Thanks! I'll take a look....
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

MisterBill wrote:
FiveK wrote:Started using the free Premium TT via the Fidelity link.
Are you using the online version? You should just download the "CD" version instead.
Thanks again.

In particular, posts viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203884#p3153728 (from danaht) and viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203884&start=50#p3158406 (from MikeG62), combined with your info, made the download work.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

1st time user of TurboTax last year, thanks to Free offer from Fidelity. Has anyone received Free TT offer from Fidelity yet? It's getting close to end of year and all has been silent, so I am concerned that they may not be offering this year other than a $20 discount......
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:11 am 1st time user of TurboTax last year, thanks to Free offer from Fidelity. Has anyone received Free TT offer from Fidelity yet? It's getting close to end of year and all has been silent, so I am concerned that they may not be offering this year other than a $20 discount......
I've gotten it the past few years, but it has always shown up in January for me
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I followed the link in Fidelity to Turbotax, and did not see any reduction in price. Same $59 as if I just went to TT. Worse than Amazon's $49.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

RudyS wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am I followed the link in Fidelity to Turbotax, and did not see any reduction in price. Same $59 as if I just went to TT. Worse than Amazon's $49.
This page just took me to a discount page, with up to $20 off on the higher priced products.

https://www.fidelity.com/tax-informatio ... t/overview

That said, the Fidelity discount has never been a particularly good deal. Amazon or Costco are almost always better deals, especially if you wait for Costco's January sale.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

abner kravitz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:14 am
AllMostThere wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:11 am 1st time user of TurboTax last year, thanks to Free offer from Fidelity. Has anyone received Free TT offer from Fidelity yet? It's getting close to end of year and all has been silent, so I am concerned that they may not be offering this year other than a $20 discount......
If you look in this thread, you'll see it showed up in mid-December last year. I just checked (again) and still do not have a free download offer.

I mailed my rep earlier in the week (I am a private client) and got this response "As of right now, there is no Turbotax offer. This may change mid December, I will let you know. Please keep an eye out as well!"

So, maybe we'll see something at the end of the week or next week. I had been debating creating a new thread, since there was a separate one last year with a more descriptive title as well as a thread on different buying sources. Sadly, this one seems to have been restarted.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

When I price-compared last year I found a CD order from Amazon was the cheapest option (versus a download even with a supposed discount from various sources). The CD also had the advantage of having a license that allowed it to be loaded on multiple computers for immediate family use (of course this assumes you have a machine with a CD drive :) ).
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm When I price-compared last year I found a CD order from Amazon was the cheapest option (versus a download even with a supposed discount from various sources). The CD also had the advantage of having a license that allowed it to be loaded on multiple computers for immediate family use (of course this assumes you have a machine with a CD drive :) ).
Are you saying that the license on the CD version was different than the download of the same software? I'm alo surprised that the prices were different.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

MisterBill wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:52 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm When I price-compared last year I found a CD order from Amazon was the cheapest option (versus a download even with a supposed discount from various sources). The CD also had the advantage of having a license that allowed it to be loaded on multiple computers for immediate family use (of course this assumes you have a machine with a CD drive :) ).
Are you saying that the license on the CD version was different than the download of the same software? I'm alo surprised that the prices were different.
Prices:
Specifically this was for TurboTax Premier Fed and (1) State with free 5 Federal efile. The CD was definitely cheaper than the download - this was true from Amazon in comparing the same exact download product to the same exact CD product (I would have preferred to just due the download but saved an extra $15 by ordering the CD). The CD cost did seem to vary over time so this may have only been true during a certain window of time.
License:
I might be wrong about the licensing - when I downloaded and ran the CD I verified it stated I could load it on multiple computers as per the license agreement and file up to 5 returns. I read somewhere else the multiple-computers/returns wasn't true except for the CD version but never verified this (possible the person who stated that may have been confused between "Desktop" version (download or CD) versus the online-service). I haven't looked at the license for 2017 tax-year yet.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

MisterBill wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:36 pm
abner kravitz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:14 am
If you look in this thread, you'll see it showed up in mid-December last year. I just checked (again) and still do not have a free download offer.
It doesn't show up for everybody at the same time. I had a discussion about it with Fidelity last year. Maybe they were BSing me but that is what they said, and mine came in January
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

abner kravitz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 pm It doesn't show up for everybody at the same time. I had a discussion about it with Fidelity last year. Maybe they were BSing me but that is what they said, and mine came in January
Maybe they offered it to the more important customers first :D

But I do recall people not seeing it originally getting it later on.
J295

Post by J295 »

In the past the offer did not come up on our login. I emailed our representative, who seems nice enough but I’ve never met or done any business with, and he said just to send him the receipt electronically and they would reimburse our account. I did and they did. Worked out fine.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

J295 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm In the past the offer did not come up on our login. I emailed our representative, who seems nice enough but I’ve never met or done any business with, and he said just to send him the receipt electronically and they would reimburse our account. I did and they did. Worked out fine.
I was hoping that would be the response to my note as well, but it wasn't. Hopefully the offer will be back this year and I'll get it.

BTW presumably any reimbursement would be reported on a 1099 (like bonuses) and be taxable.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Great news -- the offer is up! Not so great news, when I got to Turbotax's website, I got an error:

Our Apologies

We cannot find the page you requested.

You may have incorrectly typed the address (URL) or clicked an outdated link.

Not sure who I'd report this to at Fidelity so I'll just try again tomorrow and hope it's fixed.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:12 pm Great news -- the offer is up! Not so great news, when I got to Turbotax's website, I got an error:

Our Apologies

We cannot find the page you requested.

You may have incorrectly typed the address (URL) or clicked an outdated link.

Not sure who I'd report this to at Fidelity so I'll just try again tomorrow and hope it's fixed.
Same here.

And it is the online version only, not the download/Desktop version, right?
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:40 pm Same here.

Not necessarily: see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203884&start=50#p3158406.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

FiveK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Awesome, thank you! Now if they would fix the URL ... ;)
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:55 pm
FiveK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Awesome, thank you! Now if they would fix the URL ... ;)
I was thinking it could be TT that didn't activate something, but I guess it could also be Fidelity's fault.