FEHB and Medicare

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
virginiabirdie

FEHB and Medicare

Post by virginiabirdie »

If you qualify for both, did you keep both? My mom asked me about this earlier this year. Alas, I was too busy so she kept both. For next year, any thoughts on what we should do? She is 71.

Right now she has Kaiser HMO and the Medicare without prescription coverage.
dm200

Re: FEHB and Medicare

Post by dm200 »

virginiabirdie wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 am If you qualify for both, did you keep both? My mom asked me about this earlier this year. Alas, I was too busy so she kept both. For next year, any thoughts on what we should do? She is 71.

Right now she has Kaiser HMO and the Medicare without prescription coverage.
Not in any federal plan, but know some who have Part B and some who do not.

I think to be in a Kaiser plan, you need both Part A and B. The Kaiser Medicare plans almost always INCLUDE drug coverage.

Does she have any dependents that get health coverage under her retirement plan?

I suggest she (or you on her behalf) contact Kaiser Medicare folks and get all the options, pros and cons, costs, etc. At the same time, ask about the Kaiser choices and costs. For example, we have regular Kaiser Medicare (Wash DC area) standard option ($30/month in 2018). The "High option" would cost $142 - a 112/mo difference. We concluded that the costs of having lower copays and slightly lower out of pocket were not worth the extra 112 (times 2 for DW and I). The Kaiser medicare plan in the Wash DC area is a "Medicare Cost" plan - which means that participants can, if they choose, use Original Medicare from any provider that accepts it.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I'm glad I have both. I do pay more for insurance than some people, but I don't pay any medical bills. That suits me fine.

I've never had Kaiser, but have always heard good things. If she likes Kaiser, I think it is best to have both unless she simply cannot afford the premiums. Since you didn't mention that, I'd guess she can.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

My husband has both, he also pays for part B.
delamer

Post by delamer »

There have been numerous threads on this forum about the FEHB and Medicare decision. You can do a search for those.

The Consumers' Checkbook does an annual report on selecting the best FEHB plan, which includes a discussion for retirees of FEHB and Medicare. It is very helpful: https://www.checkbook.org/newhig2/hig.cfm
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

delamer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 pm There have been numerous threads on this forum about the FEHB and Medicare decision. You can do a search for those.

The Consumers' Checkbook does an annual report on selecting the best FEHB plan, which includes a discussion for retirees of FEHB and Medicare. It is very helpful: https://www.checkbook.org/newhig2/hig.cfm
+1 I read the Checkbook report this year, very helpful. It confirmed my decision.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have Medicare Parts A and B as primary and FEHB (Blue Cross Blue Shield) as secondary. I’m happy with my choice.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

My H has FEHB BCBS high family plan as well as Medicare A & B. The medical insurance plan is secondary for him but primary for me and our dependent D. We are happy having both and he has no copay for most things except dental, vision and Rx. We plan to keep both for the foreseeable future. When I qualify for Medicare we may re-evaluate whether to continue Medicare B.

Many of H’s former coworkers also have A+B+FEHB. Some choose to opt out of Medicare B and only have A+FEHB.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

Huge disclaimer: I am not currently on Medicare, nor am I an annuitant.

I’ve been pondering delaying Social Security and declining all parts of Medicare coverage, while remaining on my FEHB HDHP plan (GEHA) so that I can continue maxing my HSA contributions, thereby shielding more money from RMDs. My wife would probably start parts A and B at 65, on the presumption that I’ll be first to die, and I don’t want to leave her with a lifetime of high Medicare premiums once I’m gone. We’ll probably delay her SS as well.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.