when rolling over ira to 401k, do you try to track how the old funds grew?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
boglechu

when rolling over ira to 401k, do you try to track how the old funds grew?

Post by boglechu »

I have 30k that I'm rolling over from my ira to my 401k so I can do backdoor IRA. I thought of putting it in S&P 500 but I already have funds in that and there would be no way for me to keep track how it grows.

What about putting it in VG Growth and Income Adml? If my future contributions don't include VG Growth and income, I'll know how it does in a few years.

Or just forget about it and move it all to S&P?

thx

Options:

Dfa Inflation Protected Securities I
Goldman Sachs Us Mortgages Inst
Metropolitan West Total Return Bond I
Prudential High Yield Z
Vanguard Short Term Federal Admn
Dfa Emerging Markets Core Equity I
Dfa International Core Equity I
Dfa Us Small Cap I
Goldman Sachs Large Cap Growth Insights Inst
Janus Henderson Triton I
Jhancock Multi-Index 2020 Preservation R6
Jhancock Multi-Index 2025 Preservation R6
Jhancock Multi-Index 2030 Preservation R6
Jhancock Multi-Index 2035 Preservation R6
Jhancock Multi-Index 2040 Preservation R6
Jhancock Multi-Index 2045 Preservation R6
Jhancock Multi-Index 2050 Preservation R6
Jhancock Multi-Index Income Preservation R6
Oppenheimer International Growth Y
Principal Mid Cap R5
Schwab S&P 500 Index
Vanguard Growth And Income Adml
Vanguard International Explorer Inv
Vanguard Mid Cap Index Fund Adml
Vanguard Windsor Inv
Federated Us Treasury Cash Reserves Inst
Topic Author
boglechu

Re: when rolling over ira to 401k, do you try to track how the old funds grew?

Post by boglechu »

also, how does IRS keep track of the capital gains?

I worked for previous employer for 6 years and had accumulated about $25k. Then rolled it to VG. Vanguard increased in value by about 5k. Once I roll it again to my 401k, how will IRS now what capital gains to charge me when I pull in out in 30 years?
brandonyoung

Post by brandonyoung »

boglechu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 pm also, how does IRS keep track of the capital gains?

I worked for previous employer for 6 years and had accumulated about $25k. Then rolled it to VG. Vanguard increased in value by about 5k. Once I roll it again to my 401k, how will IRS now what capital gains to charge me when I pull in out in 30 years?
The IRS doesn't care about cost-basis in retirement accounts. Capital gains taxes only applies to taxable accounts. IRAs and 401(k)s are taxed at ordinary income rates when you withdraw. In Roth IRA and Roth 401(k), you withdraw the money tax-free.
gostars

Post by gostars »

Unless there's more to the story, I think you might be confused. If you only accumulated 25k over 6 years, then it's quite likely that all of the money you will be rolling from the IRA to 401k is pre-tax. When you withdraw it, you will pay standard income tax on everything. Capital gains does not apply. So, put the money wherever it makes sense for your AA and based on the fee structure. If you want more advice on fund selection, you should provide more information, like your current holdings and what percent of your total portfolio they comprise, your desired AA, and tickers and ERs for the funds available in your 401k. See Asking Portfolio Questions for a template. And be wary of the expense ratios and fees any time John Hancock might be involved.
Topic Author
boglechu

Post by boglechu »

from employer and emplyee contribution in 457b, 25k was rolled over to VG rollover IRA in 2016
From 2016-2017, the VG rollover IRA grew from 25k to about 30k.
In 12/2017, I will roll over VG rollover IRA to my 401k in amount of 30k.

Assume the 30k that is deposited to my 401k grows 5%/year. In 30 years, it will be $130k (30k*(1.05)^30). The capital gain is 30l->130k is 100k.

If I pulled the 130k out in 2047, will i be charged capital gains on 100k as well as income tax on the 100k?
barelybarefoot

Post by barelybarefoot »

See post above. This is all money in pretax 401k/IRA. When you take it out at 59 1/2 is taxed as ordinary income. There's no taxing of gains -- it's alone bucket as far as taxes are concerned. For every $1 you take out, you'll be taxed at ordinary income rate on that $1.

This is different from a taxable account. Since your investing money you've already paid taxes on, taxes apply only to capital gains.

That's why you can do whatever you want while money is inside these pre-tax retirement vehicles (401k/IRA) without worry about tax implications.

See wiki for basic difference in 401k/IRA/taxable account -- very helpful to wrap your mind around each and advantages of each.