Relo Expenses Tax Question for remote

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
RetireSomeday5

Relo Expenses Tax Question for remote

Post by RetireSomeday5 »

I know this isn't a tax forum; so I'll take any advice as opinion rather than reliance, but knowing there are a lot of smart people on the forum I thought I'd get some advice/opinions.

My long-term girlfriend and I both relocated this year.

My boss and I had discussed no longer needing to work at the office as he doesn't work there and that it would be good for me to be close to an airport hub since I travel. I now work remotely.

My girlfriend got a new physical work location with a letter from her employer.

For moving expenses we used my credit card and name for the moving company.

From reading form 3903 instructions it seems we both certainly meet the distance and time tests- but I've seen conflicting information (nothing official) about whether a remote position qualifies as to a new job location.

My girlfriends situation is more obviously concrete. As such I was thinking it might make sense for her to write me a check for the cost of the move and have her file with the moving expenses, but now the contract with the moving company is not in her name.

Does it seem that I should file the moving expenses, or have her write me the check and have her file it? Or is there a better way to handle this?

Thanks in advance!
earlyout

Re: Relo Expenses Tax Question for remote

Post by earlyout »

Get married by the end of the year and the problem goes away.
Topic Author
RetireSomeday5

Post by RetireSomeday5 »

earlyout wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 am Get married by the end of the year and the problem goes away.
HA! Yes; but then I'd have a whole new set of problems.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

Life is all about choices.

Suggest you post your question on the Fairmark forum at fairmark.com. Fairmark is a tax forum and you can usually get good answers fairly quickly.