Price of haircut?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
legio XX

Re: Price of haircut?

Post by legio XX »

I don't believe that for once I'm on the high end of a Boglehead thread! OK, New York is expensive, but I could find cheaper haircuts. I did, and I decided they weren't worth it. I pay $140 (!!! not a mistake) plus a tip to the student/assistant who does the shampoo. Same price for everyone who sits in the chair - man/woman, long/short, cut/trim - plus I come in as a private client of the stylist. Walk-ins pay over $200. Hair is a bit longer now as I've extended the time between cuts; I can live with it.

I suppose it depends on what you want. Basic cutting so I don't look like I live on the street is probably not that difficult, but calling someone a master hair-cutter isn't all marketing. Big difference!

Extravagant? Yeh. Like how it looks? Yeh. So, worth it? Yeh.

Vic
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

H and I get haircuts for $20 apiece including tip. Hairdresser comes to our house and does a good job. She will cut our D and S’s hair for same price when they’re interested and available. We get cues every 6-12 weeks and live in suburbs in VHCOL Honolulu.
camaro327

Post by camaro327 »

Small town. $15 + $20 annual tip, since I go to the same person throughout the year.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

After reading this string of posts, I really need to have a talk with the wife. She charges me $17 plus $5 tip for my monthly haircut. Plus I have to wash my own hair.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
furikake

Post by furikake »

HoosierJim wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:25 am
furikake wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm Free! I cut my own hair. :D
+1 +1 +1+1+1

This becomes easy once you have a lot less hair to cut. About 4 minutes per week. Much better than getting in car, parking, WAITING, and the return time. OR - make an appointment and now they own your schedule. Note: the cost of the haircut is not the issue - TIME is the issue.
So true! Time! And when I told the hair dresser to cut a certain way, she said, "No, shorter is better." "No, I want it this long." "No, shorter, you will see." And without my permission, she gave me a haircut that I didn't want. I'd rather do it my way, at my own time, whenever I want. A friend of mine started asking me to cut her hair too and I did and she liked it. :D
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

Regular men's cut.
$13 cut + $10 tip.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

In the town where I live, $33 + $5 tip.

In the town where I work, $20 + $3 tip.

Both are regular haircuts, no wash or dry, same skill/quality.
JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH »

$15 +$5 tip. It's .5 faded to a 1.5, with a razor on the side burns etc. Local barber. Unfortunately, I'm there twice a month as waiting any longer starts to accentuate my thinning hair.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

I used to pay $15 for a haircut with tip years ago before I started cutting my own hair. Back then, I would get my haircut and then get home and "fix" the sides and back with my own clippers. I eventually got better at it and learned how to cut the top myself. Now I cut my hair on my own every two weeks.
knick17

Post by knick17 »

I have learnt how to shave myself do a nice standard fade leaving loner hair at the top, also a little forehawk, buy a decent quality clipper and there it is...
hmw

Post by hmw »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm In the town where I live, $33 + $5 tip.

Wow, you must live in a pretty fancy town. :happy
hmw

Post by hmw »

Just had a hair cut today.

$19 plus $4 tip
ram

Post by ram »

Will do good wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:08 pm Wife does the cutting. Free!
Wife does it. NOT free. She tells me 10 things that i need to do while cutting the hair. :)
Ram
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

hmw wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 pm
baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm In the town where I live, $33 + $5 tip.

Wow, you must live in a pretty fancy town. :happy
It's all relative:
legio XX wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 am . . . I pay $140 (!!! not a mistake) plus a tip to the student/assistant who does the shampoo. . . .

Vic
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

$14 + $6 tip. MCOL area and I'm female. It's a walk-in, no-frills place that does a great job. The fancier places are about $50 for a cut for a woman.
modal

Post by modal »

I've been going to the same guy 15-17 and currently paying $22-23 for a hair cut, triple hair wash, and short head massage.

If I'm late for an appointment, I'll give $50 and have given higher tip[s during holidays.
jjbiv

Post by jjbiv »

$6 plus tip at a barber school
westie

Post by westie »

wife does mine, I only charge her $10 to run her hands through my imaginary long thick hair.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

$15. I am jealous of some of the prices people are quoting as I don't particularly care about haircuts.

As long as your hair is neat, other things are more important to whether a guy is attractive (weight, fitness, height, etc.)
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

legio XX wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 am I don't believe that for once I'm on the high end of a Boglehead thread! OK, New York is expensive, but I could find cheaper haircuts. I did, and I decided they weren't worth it. I pay $140 (!!! not a mistake) plus a tip to the student/assistant who does the shampoo. Same price for everyone who sits in the chair - man/woman, long/short, cut/trim - plus I come in as a private client of the stylist. Walk-ins pay over $200. Hair is a bit longer now as I've extended the time between cuts; I can live with it.

I suppose it depends on what you want. Basic cutting so I don't look like I live on the street is probably not that difficult, but calling someone a master hair-cutter isn't all marketing. Big difference!

Vic
I disagree. I used to be a hair stylist and my wife still is. 30 years ago I was an apprentice in several of the top hair salons in New York City and worked in New York (upper west side) for several years after that. You can find an amazing hair cutter/stylist for $20. IMHO charging $140 for a man's haircut is criminal and all about the perception and I'm amazed how people fall for it.

When my wife can't cut my hair I go to a local barber for $15 and he is one of the best haircutters out there. I was trained by Vidal Sasson salon back in the day and after a while I left because I couldn't pretend that all the classes and training really mattered and was tired of dealing with rich, privileged people.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree »

MCOL Southern city. I pay $12 plus $4 tip every 3 months. My wife pays $45 (not sure the tip) at a fancy salon about every 4-6 months.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

My wife has been doing mine since we were very young and too poor to pay for a cut. She charges in kisses and usually gets double in tips.
cal91

Post by cal91 »

My cost is making dinner and putting the kids to bed. (Wife cuts my hair)
Topic Author
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

heartwood wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:53 am
Before they were removed this would be a perfect topic for a survey. Anyone care to summarize results so far?
OP here. Ask and you shall receive. As of this moment summary is:

Men who specified the total paid:
n=73
Average total paid: $21.24 (range $7-$65)
Of those that broke down price and tip, average price: $16.26 Range $5-$50
Of those that broke down price and tip, average tip: $4.63 (28%) Range $0-$17.5
Note: the average total paid is different than sum of average price and tip because 10 responders gave total paid without breakdown of tip.

Men who specified price only but did not indicate amount of tip:
n=15
Average price $23.7 Range $2.5-$140

Men who stated they cut their own hair: 26
Men who got their hair cut by family member: 17

Women who specified both price and tip:
n=5
Average price $52.6 Range $38-$80
Average tip $13.4 (25%) Range $5-$20
Average total: $66.0 Range $50-$100

Women who specified price only but did not indicate amount of tip:
n-1
Average $45. Range N/A

Note: I excluded data from haircuts abroad, price with coupons, and prices that poster stated were historical.

Thanks to all who responded!
mikep

Post by mikep »

$10.99 great clips + $2 tip. Buy the $10.99 card this time of year for a year's worth of haircuts.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

The going rate at the "chain" hair place is $12 before any tip, but now my wife cuts my hair.

One time purchase of $25 for Wahl clippers and scissors.

So all profit after 2 cuts!
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Are you sure about that? Few things in life are truly free and wives have their ways of seeking adequate compensation.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

niceguy7376 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:46 am I have been buying the great clips promotion in December every year. I still have many more $9.99 haircuts on my card as my hair is showing age and i need less visits per year.

I paid for $120 two years back and $60 last year and I get $9.99 haircuts out of them. $2 tip extra every time.

This year great clips is advertising a $1 increase ($10.99 per cut).
I make my appointment online while in my garage and by the time i go there, i will be taken directly to the chair immediately.
I also get my haircuts with Great Clips. I think I have about 4 haircuts left on my $9.99 prepaid card,

I wasn't aware the prepaid card is going up to $10.99 this year.
LK2012

Post by LK2012 »

I'm a woman, short hair, get a haircut every 3-4 months, very high cost of living area - $65 plus $10 tip. It feels like a lot, and it's sure to go up after the New Year (like everything else). Plenty of places charge a lot more here, though. I like my stylist, and she adds a lot of texture to my hair. I would go more often if it cost less.

Before I started going to my current stylist, I did get a $24 haircut from a local place that was the best haircut I've had in a long time. But by the time I was ready for my next haircut, the stylist had left. Sigh.

I suspect the individual stylist is more important to women and to men who want something more styled, obviously, than just finding the cheapest option for a uniform cut. But the price difference is pretty stark. I would love to find a stylist I liked for $20!
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Old school barber shop , walk-ins only , $18 plus $5 tip ; I use to give Vinny his senior charge of $15 plus $5 and when he raised it to $18 I continued with the $5 .
AAA

Post by AAA »

$15 + $5 tip at traditional barber shop.
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

+1
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

$8-9 in the beautiful eastern end of the UP of MI. This is whether you go to a barber or stylist clip joint.

May be going up tho, as the old timer who I was told kind of set the official rate by what he charged has recently retired due to health. His shop looked like it come out of the 1940s and 50s. You could tell by the décor, that it was just as it was when he opened. He is/was in his late 80s.
MrMojoRisin

Post by MrMojoRisin »

I live in Oklahoma City, on the edge of Moore, Ok.

There is an old school barbershop I use that charges $11.00 for a men's haircut. They also trim your eyebrows and that crazy hair that grows in your ears. They also do razor shaves. I have inherited my grandfathers old straight edge razor, they have agreed to shave me with it if I will have it sharpened first. I tip 4-5 bucks. It's a walk in place, about 12 feet wide by 25 feet deep. They also sale eggs from a daughters place for 3 bucks a dozen. The eggs are brown, green and cream color and the yolks are so dark yellow they are more of an orange color. Oh, the eggs still have feathers stuck to them. Rinse under the faucet and make yourself a great omelette.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

$12 cut at a franchise haircut shop and $8 tip. My barber loves me.

TravelforFun.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

$7 + tip at the nearest place down the hill.
mgullo

Post by mgullo »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 pm Interested in what others on this forum spend.

I'm 51, male, pay $50 plus $15 tip.
:shock:

I pay $20 for a wash and a haircut in Chicago.
Last edited by mgullo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau
harlan247

Post by harlan247 »

$12.00 plus $3.00 tip gets me a great haircut in the San Antonio area.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

stemikger wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 am I disagree. I used to be a hair stylist and my wife still is. 30 years ago I was an apprentice in several of the top hair salons in New York City and worked in New York (upper west side) for several years after that. You can find an amazing hair cutter/stylist for $20. IMHO charging $140 for a man's haircut is criminal and all about the perception and I'm amazed how people fall for it.

When my wife can't cut my hair I go to a local barber for $15 and he is one of the best haircutters out there. I was trained by Vidal Sasson salon back in the day and after a while I left because I couldn't pretend that all the classes and training really mattered and was tired of dealing with rich, privileged people.
Certainly not rich or privileged. If back in the day was early 70s you may have cut my hair then. Went to the Sassoon freebie cuts sessions many a time. Anyhow, I had the same stylist for 25 years, got spoiled rotten no doubt, but no one is immortal. Different friends recommended their own stylists, nice folks, but I really didn't like the results. These were probably good cuts in terms of the cutting skills, but not in terms of how I felt they looked on me. The stylist I see now hits the all-important "I like it!" button.

Vic
midareff

Post by midareff »

Started shaving my head in 1998 and started using a Whol on the goatee about then. The Whol still works and it was about $17.95, 19 years ago so a buck a year for it. I get about 20 head shaves to a blade @ 3 a week, so a buck a month more than covers it completely. I think we could call the whole thing at a dozen bucks a year including the depreciation for the Whol.
JimD7

Post by JimD7 »

Don't have much hair (on the top) and haven't been near a barber in maybe 15 years.

Easy to do yourself if you're not a metrosexual and not too picky. :wink:

Saved a bundle
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

legio XX wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:50 am
stemikger wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 am I disagree. I used to be a hair stylist and my wife still is. 30 years ago I was an apprentice in several of the top hair salons in New York City and worked in New York (upper west side) for several years after that. You can find an amazing hair cutter/stylist for $20. IMHO charging $140 for a man's haircut is criminal and all about the perception and I'm amazed how people fall for it.

Certainly not rich or privileged. If back in the day was early 70s you may have cut my hair then. Went to the Sassoon freebie cuts sessions many a time. Anyhow, I had the same stylist for 25 years, got spoiled rotten no doubt, but no one is immortal. Different friends recommended their own stylists, nice folks, but I really didn't like the results. These were probably good cuts in terms of the cutting skills, but not in terms of how I felt they looked on me. The stylist I see now hits the all-important "I like it!" button.

Vic
Hey Vic,

I totally get it. I have a friend at work in a similiar situation. He travels far for a haircut because he had too many bad haircuts in his lifetime and has been with this same stylist for 20 years. He is now afraid to go to anyone else. I'm lucky my wife is an amazing hairdresser and if she is too busy or I want to give her a break, the barber down the street does a decent job for $15. Even though I worked in that world briefly I still can't believe someone has the nerve to charge that much for a man's haircut. Thanks for the response.

Steve
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

bikechuck wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 pm
Are you sure about that? Few things in life are truly free and wives have their ways of seeking adequate compensation.
I'm lucky, my wife doesn't really like to spend much. She has a iPhone 6 and I offer to replace it with X and she say no thanks.
2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Male here, $16 + $4 tip, once every 4-5 weeks.
Toolymon

Post by Toolymon »

I cut my own hair every Saturday morning.