Work from Home Jobs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
raamakoti

Work from Home Jobs

Post by raamakoti »

How do people find work from home type jobs. The reason for asking here is to help my wife.
She is not much of a driver, only drives for things which are in 10 mile radius and she never steps on highways.
She has over 15 years of Java programming experience in various industries, automation, healthcare, banking, security firms.

I do not have any background in IT, I am in R&D so other than a pep talk I can't be much help. I would appreciate your help. We are in NE ohio
Last edited by raamakoti on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RRAAYY3

Re: Work from Home Jobs

Post by RRAAYY3 »

Watty

Post by Watty »

Networking with people she has worked with in the past would be the best way to find a job like that. Working 100% from at home is a lot different than working at home a few days a week.

Starting up her own business would also be an option to consider.

One huge obstacle that she will face in finding work like that is that if she can work remotely and do the job then so can someone in a country like India and they can work a lot less expensively.

Driving lessons and/or counseling might help make her a more confident driver. If she has something like a vision problem and is limiting her driving because of something like that then she really should not be driving at all.

Moving to be close to a job is also and option to consider especially if you are renting.
Topic Author
raamakoti

Post by raamakoti »

Watty wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 am Working 100% from at home is a lot different than working at home a few days a week.
Starting up her own business would also be an option to consider.
Driving lessons and/or counseling might help make her a more confident driver.
Moving to be close to a job is also and option to consider especially if you are renting.
In her current job she can work from home anytime she wishes. However she is looking for 100% work from home with 4 max travel trips a year.
We went through driving lessons etc, could not believe that we spent close to 1.5k in lessons at various times of the year in past 10 years and still she could not overcome the fear of driving. No she does not have vision or any other health issues
For close to a decade we have been moving apartment to apartment to be closer to her work. But now finally bought a house in one of the best school district for our little one's school.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

raamakoti wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 amShe is not much of a driver, only drives for things which are in 10 mile radius and she never steps on highways.
Would public transit be a possibility for her to get to/from work everyday?
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I have a friend who works 100% from home for HP (or whatever they spun their services business unit into) doing database base stuff for hospitals. He says its soul crushing and he has to make up a lot of slack for workers on his team who don't know what they are doing.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Many jobs that I have seen require you to start in the office for 6-months to 1-year and then transition to home.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Try the IBM website. Lots of IBM folks work from home.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

what's the cost of an uber? While not a cheap way to go, better than not working at all.

It is probably hard to find a 100% at home gig like that from scratch. it may be possible once you've establish value and credibility with your skill set, and employers/customers are willing to let you do it because they know you are that good. but I would think it would be hard to demand to work from home in a completely new engagement.
mouses

Post by mouses »

raamakoti wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pm We went through driving lessons etc, could not believe that we spent close to 1.5k in lessons at various times of the year in past 10 years and still she could not overcome the fear of driving. No she does not have vision or any other health issues
Has she looked into counseling? Otherwise a permanent arrangement with a driver may be cost effective if there is no mass transit.

I'm a little puzzled by the ten miles being okay; it is different from fearing driving at all. If she is worried about being marooned a distance from home, AAA is invaluable. Big highways can be avoided. Often there are quieter old roads that go to the same places albeit slower.
doon

Post by doon »

raamakoti wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am How do people find work from home type jobs. The reason for asking here is to help my wife.
She is not much of a driver, only drives for things which are in 10 mile radius and she never steps on highways.
She has over 15 years of Java programming experience in various industries, automation, healthcare, banking, security firms.

I do not have any background in IT, I am in R&D so other than a pep talk I can't be much help. I would appreciate your help. We are in NE ohio
https://www.flexjobs.com/

You have to buy monthly subscription. But they have genuine flex jobs with fortune 500 compnies with ability to telecommute. Lot more opportunities for people with programming background. Good luck.

If you just want to do small assignments then you can look at

https://www.freelancer.com/

https://www.fiverr.com/
"Goal - Win the game before the need to retire"
Watty

Post by Watty »

raamakoti wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pm We went through driving lessons etc, could not believe that we spent close to 1.5k in lessons at various times of the year in past 10 years and still she could not overcome the fear of driving. No she does not have vision or any other health issues
For close to a decade we have been moving apartment to apartment to be closer to her work. But now finally bought a house in one of the best school district for our little one's school.
If driving is that much of a problem for her then you really need to take a hard look at if she should be driving at all. There could be a lot of risk not only for other people on the road but also for your kid. If she does something like drives 25 mph on a 45 mph road that speed difference is dangerous and can cause accidents. Not everyone is capable of driving.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

raamakoti wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am How do people find work from home type jobs. The reason for asking here is to help my wife.

Be careful about many scams.
gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 »

Try upwork .

I have better skills and work exp. - it is fun to work on different projects per your time and rate - you will do well only if your work is professional.

However I am trying to get back to a regular job because I miss the people touch and getting out everyday - plus I have no hobbies.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Once read that most traffic accidents occur close to home, so maybe 10 mile trips are as dangerous as a long job commute
That said, usually working in an office establishes your ability and earns the right to work from home.
Years ago I was successful with my posting on LinkedIn and personal networking, have no idea what results you would get today.
Good Luck
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
greg24

Post by greg24 »

raamakoti wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pmIn her current job she can work from home anytime she wishes. However she is looking for 100% work from home with 4 max travel trips a year.
It sounds like she nearly has her ideal job. I would find a way to be happy with her current job rather than look for the idealistic job that may not exist.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Does she have her master's (or, better yet, a doctorate)? She might be able to find work teaching online IT classes.

I took an online humanities class years ago where the instructor basically traveled around the country in an RV. Her husband was a retired military communications expert, and he would rig up satellite internet hookups even when they were out in the middle of Yellowstone or something. Sounded like a pretty great way to work! :D
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I got to work at home for about 10 years total for 3 different comapnies but I had to start working in these companies in person first, then they trusted me before I was able to work at home. Also I rarely travelled, one of the conditions I made before accepting the job. If company let you work at home, most likely you are not close to the headquarter, or the nature of the job is involved in multiple cities. So it’s hard to find a work at home job with limited travelling.
ram

Post by ram »

I live in a small town with no public transit system. The city subsidizes the only taxi company. Shared taxi between any 2 points in the city is $4.50.
Could a similar town be a long term solution for your family. In summers I use a bicycle or a scooter (Honda metropolitan gearless 50 cc) or walk to work.
Ram
junior

Post by junior »

If you move next to a train station that goes to an urban area or move to an urban area you could go without driving at all...
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

RRAAYY3 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 am freelancing ?

https://www.fiverr.com/
Fiverr is freaking horrible.

I would checkout: https://www.flexjobs.com/ There is a small fee to join, but they specialize in flexable work arrangements.

Alternatively you can check the usual suspects: Dice and Monster and look for remote jobs only.
rg422

Post by rg422 »

You can search the job boards for remote based jobs. I found mine on Indeed.com (medical coding/auditing). I was skeptical of it, but I've been working remotely for 3 years now and loving it. Just put in "remote" in addition to the type of job you're looking for in the search bar.