Call the top! - Bitcoin - Bogleheads forum policy remains unchanged

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
ccieemeritus

Call the top! - Bitcoin - Bogleheads forum policy remains unchanged

Post by ccieemeritus »

[Title was "Call the top! - Bitcoin" --admin LadyGeek.

Forum policy remains unchanged. Discussions of cryptocurrency, including ETFs, is not permitted. See: New Forum Policy Prohibiting Discussions of Cryptocurrency, Market Manipulation Schemes, etc as Investing Strategies

Note - This policy is limited to discussions of investing strategies. Discussions of cryptocurrencies in other contexts is still acceptable, for example for money transfers or microtransactions or the current thread on crypto trades and tax loss harvesting.

10/19/21 Edit: What about BITO, the new futures ETF?

This still falls under our prohibition. Our ban on crypto discussions is ultimately based on cryptocurrencies' lack of intrinsic value. While the ETF structure greatly reduces non-market risks, purchasing it is still a purely speculative gamble, not an investment.
--admin LadyGeek]

Using winkdex.com price, guess the peak bitcoin price between now and Dec 31 2018. Guesses have to be in by Dec 31 2017 or 1 day “before the peak/crash”, whichever is earlier.

I’ll guess 20,432 (but only on this forum, I’m not guessing with one penny of real money).

If it crashes well before The end of 2018, we’ll identify a “tentative winner”.

The prize? Honor and glory.

EDIT: 2nd contest category: the date of the peak between now and Dec 31 2018. I’ll pick Dec 14 2017.
Angelus359

Re: Call the top! - Bitcoin

Post by Angelus359 »

Systems Engineer
Swelfie

Post by Swelfie »

Calling 100k
k66

Post by k66 »

Bitcoin $36,000
LOSER of the Boglehead Contest 2015 | lang may yer lum reek
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Wouldn't try to guess with established financial institutions now getting involved with Bitcoin derivatives.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
jadd806

Post by jadd806 »

$16,934.26
pokebowl

Post by pokebowl »

Similar to Tesla, bitcoins are backed by the full faith and credit of investor hype, thus its impossible to call a top. /heavy sarcasm
Solo Prosperity

Post by Solo Prosperity »

$37,053 followed by an 85% crash :beer
Topic Author
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

jadd806 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:07 am$16,934.26
Nice try, fortunately I had that “guesses must be in 1 day before peak/crash rule”. :happy
alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead »

$655350, at June 17, 2018 (this will be remembered as the day when Warren Buffet caved in and swapped all his BRK holdings for Bitcoin :twisted:
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

$21,329
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

$75,350
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Whatever the price is today. Josh Brown CNBC did a foray into Bitcoin and it seems that it takes a week or so to actually get the trade through to your account.
Although the futures market opening up next week will make for more interesting speculation.
Anyone holding Bitcoin and having made 1-2-300% return should take their money and move on. Like the post about the friend who invested a few thousand and now and it is worth a million and is wondering when to sell. Totally daft there. That's crazy talk.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 am Whatever the price is today. Josh Brown CNBC did a foray into Bitcoin and it seems that it takes a week or so to actually get the trade through to your account.
Although the futures market opening up next week will make for more interesting speculation.
Anyone holding Bitcoin and having made 1-2-300% return should take their money and move on. Like the post about the friend who invested a few thousand and now and it is worth a million and is wondering when to sell. Totally daft there. That's crazy talk.
It's probably be easier to convince someone to sell half
Systems Engineer
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

The buzz on Bitcoin is beginning to remind me of the .com buzz in 1999. So, I think the top is near: 14,999. But, I am not betting a cent of my own money on this. Markets can remain irrational for longer than I can remain solvent.
Adapt or perish
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Given that
At 12:48 p.m., for instance, bitcoin was trading at $19,141 a coin on Bithumb, an exchange in South Korea. At the same time, it was trading at $14,573 on Bitfinex, based in Taiwan.
I would say that there is no way to know what "the" price of bitcoin is, let alone what it will be.

I also think that when people who think they are bitcoin millionaires decide they would like dollars instead of the arithmetical result of multiplying their number of bitcoins by a number they see on a screen, they may be in for an unpleasant surprise. (True, if you thought you'd multiplied your money by a thousand and it turned out you'd only multiplied it by a hundred, that would be a good problem to have.)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

$55,000
B. Wellington

Post by B. Wellington »

Okay, I'll play...

$22,500

Then stay in a trading range for years then move higher from there. :confused
SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 am Josh Brown CNBC did a foray into Bitcoin and it seems that it takes a week or so to actually get the trade through to your account.
this statement is missing a lot of context. if you have funds already with an exchange, buy/sell is instantaneous.

what it sounds like he did was buy through coinbase with funds from his bank account. almost all of this time duration is due to the ACH transfer from his bank to coinbase, which is the normal 3-5 days to settle. after that settles, the digital currency is made available immediately.

this is one of the reasons financial institutions are exploring blockchain (read: not necessarily bitcoin). it has the potential to execute these types of transfers in real-time.
azanon

Post by azanon »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 am Given that
At 12:48 p.m., for instance, bitcoin was trading at $19,141 a coin on Bithumb, an exchange in South Korea. At the same time, it was trading at $14,573 on Bitfinex, based in Taiwan.
I would say that there is no way to know what "the" price of bitcoin is, let alone what it will be.

I also think that when people who think they are bitcoin millionaires decide they would like dollars instead of the arithmetical result of multiplying their number of bitcoins by a number they see on a screen, they may be in for an unpleasant surprise. (True, if you thought you'd multiplied your money by a thousand and it turned out you'd only multiplied it by a hundred, that would be a good problem to have.)
Ok then so let's agree on a source of the quote - maybe the OP gets to pick?

I'm going with $29,430 per
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

ccieemeritus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm The prize? Honor and glory.
This is silly, a real prize should be awarded.

Does anyone have some Monopoly money they can donate? :)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am
Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 am Josh Brown CNBC did a foray into Bitcoin and it seems that it takes a week or so to actually get the trade through to your account.
this statement is missing a lot of context. if you have funds already with an exchange, buy/sell is instantaneous.
Did you read Greyfox's account of his experience, Buying and spending bitcoin? It certainly wasn't instantaneous for him.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

$27,001...

Something people on this forum may find interesting about the younger generation I've observed first hand:

Many of the 20 something's all in on Bitcoin are the same individuals that could change your life and financial situation a couple years back through Vemma. We can now all Google 'Vemma' to see how that story ended :wink:
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
Bud

Post by Bud »

As a bubble, bitcoin will pop... the question is when.

In 1998, everyone was buy stock that anything to do even remotely with the internet, including my friends and family who had no idea how these companies would produce revenue and some of those companies never produced revenue... the bubble only "burst" in the first half of 2000, about 24 months after a bubble was evident...

In 2005-2006, everyone at my weekly 6am coffee shop get together was talking about buying REITs and they openly confessed that they had no idea how they worked. 2008-2009 was painful as the real estate market imploded...

earlier this week, my chiropractor was adamantly discussion his bitcoin investment and bitcoin mining although not very deep on his understanding .... so according to my estimate, the bitcoin market will implode the last half of 2019 or early 2020....

It could implode earlier if there is a major hack on the system, although it is in the interest of the hackers for the system not to implode unless they specifically want to bring the system down...
SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am
Did you read Greyfox's account of his experience, Buying and spending bitcoin? It certainly wasn't instantaneous for him.
i just did; it seems you misread my statement.

if you already have funds on an exchange, buying and selling is instantaneous. most people buy/sell bitcoin on exchanges, which operate just like stock exchanges. buy/sell orders fill immediately when there is a match.

greyfox was not only buying at the machine in the coffee shop but also transferring the bitcoin to a wallet. these are two separate processes. just like if you sold some stock, then transferred the money to a bank account. the selling of the stock is instantaneous as soon as there is a match on the exchange; the transfer of the money to the bank account is not and will take 3-5 business days.
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

Found this comment on a Financial Times article yesterday, from someone trying to sell their Bitcoin holdings:
Superfluous wrote:I tried to sell my remaining holdings today (after hitting more than $17k) and I'm still waiting after about 20 hours for my transaction being confirmed to get it into an exchange. There's over 200,000 transactions in the backlog now - transaction fees are averaging $15. It's quite simply broken as a means of exchange, and it's the bubble itself that is breaking it right now (as it has come before the scaling solutions). The best the current crop of investors can hope for is it that supply eventually meets demand and it stagnates at some point, because 30% gains over 24 hours are quite obviously not going to last.
Appears there are over 200,000 transactions still waiting to be confirmed as of today.
2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Swelfie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 pm Calling 100k
^ as much as I hate to say it, I think we will see $100k before a split.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

buccimane wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 pm $27,001...

Something people on this forum may find interesting about the younger generation I've observed first hand:

Many of the 20 something's all in on Bitcoin are the same individuals that could change your life and financial situation a couple years back through Vemma. We can now all Google 'Vemma' to see how that story ended :wink:
So I had never heard of vemma. Googled it and it's a MLM scheme. Considering that people involved with bitcoin don't get paid, much less paid on downlines or anything like that, that's pretty disingenuous.

That out of the way, I'm going to go with yesterday beign the top. So that would have been at 17171 at BitFinex.
SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 »

SimpleGift wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 pm Found this comment on a Financial Times article from yesterday interesting:
Superfluous wrote:I tried to sell my remaining holdings today (after hitting more than $17k) and I'm still waiting after about 20 hours for my transaction being confirmed to get it into an exchange. There's over 200,000 transactions in the backlog now - transaction fees are averaging $15. It's quite simply broken as a means of exchange, and it's the bubble itself that is breaking it right now (as it has come before the scaling solutions). The best the current crop of investors can hope for is it that supply eventually meets demand and it stagnates at some point, because 30% gains over 24 hours are quite obviously not going to last.
Appears there are over 200,000 transactions still waiting to be confirmed as of today.
this is only a post on the perspective of time (not a stance on bitcoin itself).

there is a large backlog for bitcoin transaction confirmations at the moment (which have improvements from the community on the way), especially given the spike of activity in the last couple days. that said, just taking the above at face value:

20 hours for a bitcoin confirmation (at the lowest fee setting, can pay a bit more to speed this up).
1-3 business days for credit card transactions to settle.
3-5 business days for an ACH transfer to settle.
7-10 business days for a check to settle (even cashier's checks).

when put into context it's interesting to think that instead of saying oh my, i can get this transaction confirmed and settled in only 20 hours (usually less) which is way shorter than with a credit card, ACH transfer, or check, it's viewed with a very negative connotation. people openly complain about bitcoin's settlement time, but i dont hear much complaint (at least openly) about the others.
grayfox

Post by grayfox »

I was at a restaurant this morning eating breakfast. At one of the tables, four blue-collar-type men were discussing guess what: Bitcoin! From their conversation, they were obvious newbies to crypto, repeating all the misconceptions that most people have about it. Hilarious!

So now everyone is talking about it everywhere. :greedy
gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb »

an_asker

Post by an_asker »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 am Given that

A bitcoin's value is as mysterious as the price of a car. Right now, it is one bitcoin per Toyota Corolla. I predict at its peak, one bitcoin can be used to purchase a Tesla :oops:
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

ensign_lee wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 pm So I had never heard of vemma. Googled it and it's a MLM scheme. Considering that people involved with bitcoin don't get paid, much less paid on downlines or anything like that, that's pretty disingenuous.
That is incorrect. Unlike traditional MLM schemes that are able to stay afloat (Amway), Vemma did very little to even pretend to promote a product. It was found by the FTC to be a complete pyramid scheme and fined over $230 million. Titled the "Young Peoples' Revolution", it suckered in 18-25 y/o's for the most part, with get rich quick seminars. These former Vemma employees, as I've noticed, are jumping on the Bitcoin get rich quick train. I understand that I am casting a large net, but I am sharing the pairing I see between like-minded individuals entering Vemma, who are now entering BTC.

People are buying into Bitcoin in the hopes that someone in the future will pay them more than they invested. People didn't understand Vemma, some people don't understand Bitcoin- it is the new trend with promises of quick $$$.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
siamond

Post by siamond »

I was wondering what was the peak so far. According to this link, it is $19,697 on a well-known (?!) US exchange.

Thursday was a frantic one for the bitcoin markets, as traders once again grappled with outages at some of the world’s largest exchanges. Altogether, the global average bitcoin price reached a new all-time high of $18,353, with U.S. exchange GDAX pricing it as high as $19,697 at the height of the rally. Friday morning, however, the bitcoin price began to decline, and by the time of writing, it had settled down to $15,532 — a mark just above its previous-day level.

So... my bet for the daily peak on GDAX until Dec 31st will be... $20,001. Just because I suspect quite a few folks have sell orders ready for the $20k limit... :mrgreen:
LRonHalfelven

Post by LRonHalfelven »

My prediction: At the top, 95% of the threads on this board will be about Bitcoin.
"If you change your strategy frequently you don't really have one." --Garry Kasparov
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Less than the one trillion dollar coin the Treasury considered minting to nullify the debt ceiling.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trillion ... ry-2015-10

And people say Bitcoin is money out of thin air again.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
cal91

Post by cal91 »

grayfox wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 pm Image

I was at a restaurant this morning eating breakfast. At one of the tables, four blue-collar-type men were discussing guess what: Bitcoin! From their conversation, they were obvious newbies to crypto, repeating all the misconceptions that most people have about it. Hilarious!

So now everyone is talking about it everywhere. :greedy
Gotta love those simple minded blue-collar type men. They just don't get it like us white-collar types :wink:
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pmthere is a large backlog for bitcoin transaction confirmations at the moment (which have improvements from the community on the way), especially given the spike of activity in the last couple days. that said, just taking the above at face value:

20 hours for a bitcoin confirmation (at the lowest fee setting, can pay a bit more to speed this up).

when put into context it's interesting to think that instead of saying oh my, i can get this transaction confirmed and settled in only 20 hours (usually less) which is way shorter than with a credit card, ACH transfer, or check, it's viewed with a very negative connotation. people openly complain about bitcoin's settlement time, but i dont hear much complaint (at least openly) about the others.
It takes about 5 seconds for Subway to process my credit-card and send me on my way.

I'll get pretty hungry if I have to wait 20 hours for my bitcoin purchase to go through.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm
SEAworld9 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pmthere is a large backlog for bitcoin transaction confirmations at the moment (which have improvements from the community on the way), especially given the spike of activity in the last couple days. that said, just taking the above at face value:

It takes about 5 seconds for Subway to process my credit-card and send me on my way.

I'll get pretty hungry if I have to wait 20 hours for my bitcoin purchase to go through.
5 seconds? I guess you don’t use a credit card with a chip! ;)

I agree that transaction times and costs are a weakness. Should both improve with time. Not sure about volatility though. They need a crypto that pegs against the USD or something.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

5 seconds for a transaction? Samsung Pay is near instantaneous.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Top - 54,200
Bottom (after the crash) - 5,400
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm...It takes about 5 seconds for Subway to process my credit-card and send me on my way... I'll get pretty hungry if I have to wait 20 hours for my bitcoin purchase to go through...
I looked a bit further into the "Subway accepts Bitcoin" idea. I assumed the chain signed up with GoCoin or something... if GoCoin still exists. But I couldn't find any evidence at all that Subway accepts Bitcoin. I spent ten minutes clicking around Subway's website, and actually went so far as to place an order, check out, and go to the payment screen to see what payment options were offered. They do accept PayPal. Nothing about Bitcoin.

I searched a bit more, and I found a May, 2017 story with the headline Subway accepts Bitcoins in payment, and here's what the story goes on to say:
Subway accepts Bitcoins in payment
by KryptoMoney | May 18, 2017 | Bitcoin, Latest Posts | 0 comments

Eat Fresh, Eat Subway, and pay in Bitcoins!

A Subway franchisee, in Buenos Aires recently accepted Bitcoin as a method of payment. Buenos Aires is thus the first city in Latin America to do so. Only Moscow and Allentown, Pennysylvania have a Subway franchise that accepts Bitcoin.
So, there you have it. Subway has 45,000 stores in 100 countries, of which three accept Bitcoin.

The stories about the Subway in Allentown that accepts them are all dated 2013, and mention a 24-year-old graduate student named Sapan Shah. He is a Lehigh University graduate working on his master's degree in business administration. Some of the stories refer to it as "his" Subway, but I don't know if owns the franchise or whether he just works there.

And, just as I supposed, the restaurant doesn't exactly accept bitcoin directly (e.g. at its terminals):
Subway did not endorse his decision to accept bitcoins, said Shah, who uses a tablet application to convert payments to U.S. dollars.
So, rather than Subway accepting bitcoins, there is a Subway with someone who converts bitcoin to dollars personally, as a service to his customers.

Note that there are sixteen Subways in Allentown, and only one of them--the one at 3337 (the story says 3333 but I think that's a misprint) Hamilton Boulevard accepts bitcoin.

One 2013 story says that "The Lehigh Valley Subway is believed to be one of only two in the world to accept Bitcoin, said owner Sapan Shah. The other is in Moscow."

The Subway store locator shows one at 3337 Hamilton Boulevard, so I assume it is still in operation, but there are some strange things. I tried calling it at the number shown on the Subway website, and got a strange message about "the person at extension 101 is not available," and the website has a strange message, "The store is not accepting remote orders at this time." It's only fifteen minutes before their closing time, so maybe they shut down their phone. You will notice that the website indicates that they take Subway gift cards, VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB (a Japanese international credit card, apparently?), and PayPal. Nothing about Bitcoin. Unless JCB has something to do with Bitcoin, but I don't think it does.

If you do a Google Maps search for 3337 Hamilton Boulevard, Allentown, PA, Google Street View offers an interior view of the Allentown Subway, and it was taken by Sapan Shah in 2017. Therefore, I conclude that he is still running, owns, or is connected with the store. I tried to zoom in to see if there is a "Bitcoin Accepted" sign on the door, but I can't tell.

In any case, even if this store is still accepting Bitcoin, I don't think it is correct to say "Subway accepts Bitcoin." I think it is more accurate to say "There is a Subway in Allentown where someone on staff will use their personal account to convert Bitcoin as a courtesy to the customers."

Oh... and the story, about a Bitcoin enthusiast who drove two hours to buy a sandwich at the Allentown Subway, notes:
His transaction was not an entirely smooth one. Welsh said the clerk had trouble understanding the exchange rate and had to make some calls before the purchase was finalized.
Of course, that was 2013, and things have changed. After all, in 2013, only two Subways in the world accepted Bitcoin, and in 2017, a third, in Buenos Aires, began accepting them. At that growth rate, it will only take 24 years until all 45,000 Subways accept Bitcoin.
LasixDrip

Post by LasixDrip »

This thread got me to bite the bullet and throw down my first post.

Guess #1) $48,680 = 1 BTC
Guess #2) November 9th 2018

Cheers to everyone here! I’ve learned a bunch to date by lurking, looking forward to bantering going forward!
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

$20,345

I hope this bubble bursts soon as this whole thing is killing me inside. Several months ago a friend said we should invest in crypto. I said it was stupid and listed multiple times all the reasons why it is stupid. And yet here we are.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

The Subway in Allentown, PA still isn't answering its phone, but just as a reality check, I proceeded up to the "payment" page on their website and bitcoin is not shown as a payment option. It has now been over four years since the first news items about it accepting Bitcoin appeared. So, either they are not accepting Bitcoin, or, possibly, it is still a sort of manual, individual, personal service, performed on the spot on request, by the store manager using his personal bitcoin account... or something like that.

The Subway website offers a "Store Details" page. Bitcoin is not mentioned. I don't know how much it can be customized, so I don't know whether a Subway that wants to promote itself as accepting Bitcoin would have a way to mention it.

Once again I'm unfamiliar with the JCB international credit card, so if in fact the JCB card is not just a credit card but is, somehow, "a way to pay with Bitcoin," please educate me.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

JonnyDVM wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 pm $20,345

I hope this bubble bursts soon as this whole thing is killing me inside. Several months ago a friend said we should invest in crypto. I said it was stupid and listed multiple times all the reasons why it is stupid. And yet here we are.
Even if it goes to $100k next year it's still stupid.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JonnyDVM wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 pm $20,345

Fear Of Missing Out.

Might be wise to go back and read some accounts of the dot com bubble and bust. Or any bubble and bust, TBH. But especially that one. Also Robert Shiller's description of how bubbles work (in Irrational Exuberance).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:48 pm Less than the one trillion dollar coin the Treasury considered minting to nullify the debt ceiling.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trillion ... ry-2015-10

And people say Bitcoin is money out of thin air again.
But that was because of a stupid legislative thing, so someone got creative.