I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Shallowpockets

Re: I received a speeding ticket via mail from IA - should I pay it?

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:43 am

Might as well pay it. Put it behind you. If you were guilty the it is of no consequence whether or it camera citations are legal.
At least you can pay it. There are many who would find $100 a burden to pay. That is why you have your emergency fund.
Camera tickets are one of those things that everyone hates, but no one can do anything about. Kind of like those fees and taxes added on to your phone Bill. On mine over 50% of my bill is the total of all the small taxes and fees added on. What can you do?
The only one who took a stance on the little BS things that aggravate the hell out of you and are onerous and overbeearing was the little guy trying to make his living in Libya and burned himself to death in protest and started the downfall of Quadaffi. Then again he never saw the fruits of his protest. You will probably not go that route. So may as well pay it.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

Just pay the f-ticket and be done with. IF you feel you were done wrong, then you can get even, when traveling thru the state do NOT stop anywhere to spend a penny, not even on corn chips, do not support their economy, just top off your tank before and after reaching the state and keep on trucking. Wishing YOU and YOUR family a Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading.
~ Donating Member ~

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am

I notice you didn't dispute that you were putting the hammer down. Speed :twisted: ?

Pay the :moneybag or you will be :( and :annoyed when they block your license, and add more fees/fines to your situation.

That is actually very cheap for a speeding fine, now that I think about it.

evancox10

Post by evancox10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:30 pm

I wouldn't pay it. These camera tickets are tantamount to extortion, where cities have made Faustian bargains to funnel money to private companies in exchange for a part of the take. You will not lose your license or be thrown in jail for not paying it. They are also now forbidden from filing these against your credit. I would have no moral or legal issues with not paying it.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I would pay it, not because I'm moralistic about speeding fines (indeed, it does sound like a ripoff to me), but for the pragmatic reason that saving $100 is not worth the admittedly minor risk that failure to pay would come back to haunt me at some point.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 pm

I haven't seen any evidence that Iowa issues bench warrants for these violations. It seems the only thing they do is turn it over to collections.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 am
He took cash on the spot?

Why does this make me think something was fishy?
Hah! In 1970 my buddy was pulled over for speeding by a New Mexico state cop. The entire infraction was handled on-the-spot and the cop gave my buddy both the ticket and receipt for payment of the fine. I watched the whole transaction out the back window.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm

These threads are always a good reminder to never go to Boglheads for legal advice. :happy

OP, you have yet to say you weren't in IA, not on that road, not driving, nor anything like that. 'Everyone else was dong it' isn't a very good excuse. If it feels any better, a lot of folks got photo tickets that day then, right? Just pay it.

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:57 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 am
He took cash on the spot?

Why does this make me think something was fishy?
Hah! In 1970 my buddy was pulled over for speeding by a New Mexico state cop. The entire infraction was handled on-the-spot and the cop gave my buddy both the ticket and receipt for payment of the fine. I watched the whole transaction out the back window.
I think WI still does it this way, or did not too long ago.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 pm

I’m going to at least wait a couple of weeks until the payment deadline. It is entirely possible I get another from the return trip a few days later and at that point I’ll at least call and see what my options are.

For those that don’t have a problem with it , at what point is it overboard? What if they had them every 10-20 miles and you got 20 tickets driving through the state?

My guess is almost everyone on the board exceeds the speed limit from time to time.

For the few that keep talking about criminal penalties for non payment everything I have seen says there are none.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 pm

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am
I notice you didn't dispute that you were putting the hammer down. Speed :twisted: ?

Pay the :moneybag or you will be :( and :annoyed when they block your license, and add more fees/fines to your situation.

That is actually very cheap for a speeding fine, now that I think about it.
Yes I routinely exceed the speed limit on interstate highways as does he majority of traffic. The spot I got nabbed was three lanes and hardly any traffic on a Saturday. Drove 1000+ miles there through 7 states and 1000+ miles back. For some reason IA has the lowest speed limits. Most are 70/75 and SD is 80.

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:21 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 pm
For those that don’t have a problem with it , at what point is it overboard? What if they had them every 10-20 miles and you got 20 tickets driving through the state?

My guess is almost everyone on the board exceeds the speed limit from time to time.

For the few that keep talking about criminal penalties for non payment everything I have seen says there are none.
Well, if one didn't notice the cameras every 10-20 miles, kept speeding, and got 20 tickets, that's kind of on them...

I believe they need to put a sign up somewhere before the camera. At least they did in CO. It's not like these are stealth hidden in a tree never to be seen cameras.

I would agree most exceed the speed limit from time to time. If you/I get caught, own it and pay the fine.

It's not a criminal deal. Hence, never go to Bogleheads for legal advice. :happy

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Iowa uses a collections agency and in rare case takes legal action:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/ ... w-20150925

They were putting it on your credit report, but apparently that practice has been stopped.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 pm
Why not simply add a line item to your annual budget for $2k or whatever, to pay speeding tickets? Then just go about your business as usual.

The problem with simply ignoring tickets like this is that 1) you don't spend all your working hours trying to dream up how to extract money out of deadbeats (non-payers) and 2) they do.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm

I got a $25 parking ticket in another state once. Threw it in the trash. Got one letter in the mail reminding me to pay and that was it, never heard about it again. Maybe they issued a bench warrant for my arrest..
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

chw

Post by chw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Do you have the option to appeal without going to court? I've had good luck with parking tickets filing appeals. If not, I would pay the ticket.

dccboone

Post by dccboone » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Post by spitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 am

dccboone wrote: ↑Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm
One final thought; during the past two years, I received two tickets from these same cameras. In both instances I was speeding more than 9 miles per hour over the limit and I paid both tickets.

Did you get any points or an insurance bump either time? If so, OP I'd consider searching for an IA traffic attorney to help if you can't afford anymore points. Otherwise just pay it outright though there is controversy in that state--you don't wanna get hauled in for speeding next year if you have an arrest warrant from IA . I was flashed speeding in AZ several years ago and took an online course to avoid points; maybe that's a choice in IA. Three years ago I got a $100 red light ticket in the mail (StLouis) that said pay up to avoid points/insurance reporting. I paid and about a year or so later got a $100 check in the mail after the city dumped the cameras. So you might get lucky!

No, neither had any impact on my insurance.

egionesco

Post by egionesco » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Kneejerk reactions to pay are based on the fact that most people who don't pay are nutters.

But, you don't have to pay this. There will not be any repercussions unless maybe you move to Iowa. Did they send it certified mail? You never got it.

You will likely never hear anything about this. They might waste time and effort sending out stuff by mail but that's it.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:13 pm

evancox10 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:30 pm
I wouldn't pay it. These camera tickets are tantamount to extortion, where cities have made Faustian bargains to funnel money to private companies in exchange for a part of the take. You will not lose your license or be thrown in jail for not paying it. They are also now forbidden from filing these against your credit. I would have no moral or legal issues with not paying it.
+1 !

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Said in my best Rick (Casa Blanca) voice

"I am shocked, shocked that this is being allowed to be asked on this forum and has not been yet locked or deleted"

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Another Iowa resident here. This has been playing out for several years in our state with the the courts repeatedly ordering all the cameras removed including the one on I-29 that nabbed you. It has been appealed several times and I think most have been allowed to keep the cameras rolling through the appeal process though it depends on the court system the camera is in. In Des Moines, they are repaying fines that were issued.

The last I heard on it was that the Iowa Supreme Court heard the case in September of this year but hasn't issued a ruling.

Since they only issue tickets for 10 miles an hour and over than the posted speed limit, I generally set my cruise control for less than that and have never been issued a ticket.

Personally I would pay the ticket but be first in line when the courts issue a ruling declaring them illegal and that the fines must be repaid.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:13 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
Apparently they have camera/radars and mail you ticket. 78 in 65 of major interstate (29). $100. Annoyingly just north in SD the same highway speed limit is 80.

Looking up it is considered a civil penalty, not criminal. It isn't reported to driving agencies, insurance etc.

Worst case if you don't pay it they send it to collections. No idea if they'd take it as far as reporting to credit agencies.
OP: yeah, the camera would caught me doing 100. Unless it's certified mail, I would laugh and throw it in the trash.
samsoes wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 am
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Pay it. Slow down.
Slowpokes: move to the right lane. It's your privilege to drive on the right lane, not mine. Don't slow other people down.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, getting contentious. Also, discussions to violate the law (ignore the ticket) are unacceptable.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.