Okay come clean....How man people share passwords for streaming services?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
harrington

Okay come clean....How man people share passwords for streaming services?

Post by harrington » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 pm

I share with four others. Each pays for one service. Netflix Hulu Amazon and Showtime. No issues to speak of so far but I must admit a very small amount of guilt and can certainly afford to purchase all four myself. When I mentioned this to the others they laughed and said everyone does this and the services really don't care. Thoughts?

brad.clarkston

Re: Okay come clean....How man people share passwords for streaming services?

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm

I don't to that degree but I will be sharing with my son who will be going to college next year (Netflix, Hulu, Prime).

If it makes you feel better Netflix actively promotes sharing as they know sooner or later that will lead to a new subscription.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

This MIGHT be an illegal activity.
If so, it's inappropriate for this forum...
Attempted new signature...

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Never.

I do not support stealing or lying.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Sharing passwords for streaming seems dishonest to me. I'm no saint, but I do not share streaming. I also didn't illegally download music in the day. And, I don't frequent sites that illegally stream premium channels and movies.

There obviously are a lot of people who do.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm
This MIGHT be an illegal activity.
If so, it's inappropriate for this forum...
Citation needed instead of just throwing vague one liners on a thread you don't like.

And no the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals did not rule steaming password sharing violates CFAA.

fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Netflix limits the number of concurrent streams so there's no issue sharing passwords there.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

fatcharlie wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm
Netflix limits the number of concurrent streams so there's no issue sharing passwords there.
it seems most of them have limits.. not sure what the terms say.. but my gut check says directtvnow supports 2 streams... 2 streams is 2 streams.

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FA ... me-time-13
If you subscribe to our Sling Orange service you can enjoy one stream at a time. Any extras you add to your Sling Orange service will be included in your single stream.

If you subscribe to our Sling Blue service you can enjoy up to three streams of these channels at one time! This means you can enjoy FOX on your big screen, while your computer streams AMC, and catch up on the news with CNN on your mobile device. Any extras you add to your Sling Blue service will be included in your three streams.
https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/ar ... RECTV-NOW-
Yes, you can stream DIRECTV NOW on up to two devices concurrently. Each DIRECTV NOW account with a subscription plan can stream on up to two devices at the same time. The second simultaneous stream is included at no additional charge.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Netflix has, in the recent past, said something like they don't care if people share passwords as long as they're not selling them.

praxis

Post by praxis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

fatcharlie wrote:
I let our son at college stream on our Netflix account, but I pay for multiple screens. I just checked my plan and it allows 4 simultaneous screens for $11.99/month.

One screen is $7.99. Two is 10.99.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Unfortunately I pay for many services and extended family all uses my passwords.

hightower

Post by hightower » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm pretty certain that my 30 year old sister in law has never paid for a subscription service her entire life because she's the world's biggest moocher. I'm not sure why this bugs me, but it does, so I will never share passwords for this sort of thing. It's like what 10 bucks a month for Netflix? If you're poverty level poor, okay, I understand, but if you're living in NYC and making 100k a year, you're just being an a**hole.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm

No, never even considered it. Is this a thing people do regularly?

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm

I and everyone I know shares services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc., be it between family members, roommates, or friends.

There may well be a generational gap in terms of what is deemed appropriate (I'm in my late 20s).

harrington

Post by harrington » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 pm

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm
No, never even considered it. Is this a thing people do regularly?
Yes many do

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm

When in higher education, our sons used DW's netflix account. If hulu is a streaming service, DW doesn't share that. She uses "my" Amazon Prime account for everything, including streaming movies and their tv shows.

P.S.--our one son and his wife still use our netflix account and they each meet hightower's "a**hole" definition. But they are baby-lawyers and working their way toward the magic of "$0" net worth. :shock:
Edit Signature

p0nyboy

Post by p0nyboy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:04 pm

I use my friends amazon prime account so I can get free shipping.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

No, I don't share passwords for anything, except with my wife. I don't want the security risk, and I want to be able to make changes freely (e.g. change password, change or cancel subscription) whenever I want without having to take some third party into account. I also don't want to share my viewing history with others, nor do I want to see theirs. I can't imagine that the tiny amount saved by sharing a Netflix account would make it worth the hassle.
Last edited by Bungo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Those services are so cheap that I have never really cared to get someone else's.

I am one of those people that never used Napster and I don't use torrent sites to watch movies for free. I guess I feel like if I want something I'll buy/rent it.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

My daughter has an account and she let us and her sister share her account. We rarely watch anything on Netflix, but we do watch some shows around Xmas when they are all here.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

harrington wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 pm
I share with four others. Each pays for one service. Netflix Hulu Amazon and Showtime. No issues to speak of so far but I must admit a very small amount of guilt and can certainly afford to purchase all four myself. When I mentioned this to the others they laughed and said everyone does this and the services really don't care. Thoughts?
Anyone have whether, technically, sharing is a violation of anything? Or, might it depend on the particular service?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:58 pm

For Netflix we pay for 4 screen and various people use it in the house under same ID and PW. As far as I know that is within terms of service. If / when my daughter goes to college I’d have no issues letting her use the account.

Just got a notice Netflix going up $1 and 4 screen going up $2 per month. I may throttle back to 2 screen to see if that works.

Since the plans essentially cap the number of screens watching per plan I’m not even sure why this is an issue. If you have a 2 screen plan and post your ID and PW on Facebook for your friends chances are you’ll never get to use your own subscription.

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 pm

A family member gave us their Netflix password.

There are five users to choose from on the main screen. So, seems the account is set up for that many users? I don't know, but we don't lose any sleep over it.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

mhc wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm
Never.

I do not support stealing or lying.
+1. That way I don’t have to come clean out anything.

JT

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 pm

We share netflix with my mother but they allow multiple accounts.

I do share my log in information for WWE network.

I hope all who share are not using a password that they use for any other websites.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Many people who consider themselves honest or "good Christians" have no issue with digital piracy, which is theft.

Go to any "cut the cord" thread on the internet, and pretty much everyone mentions "I'll use my sister's netflix"...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm

greg24 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm
Many people who consider themselves honest or "good Christians" have no issue with digital piracy, which is theft.
Go to any "cut the cord" thread on the internet, and pretty much everyone mentions "I'll use my sister's netflix"...
OK - I am against "digital piracy" -- BUT is sharing passwords for services online "digital piracy"?

GCD

Post by GCD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm

I only share with my wife, but we are in the same household so I don't think it matters... or is really what you meant. So I guess my answer is no, never.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

GCD wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm
I only share with my wife, but we are in the same household so I don't think it matters... or is really what you meant. So I guess my answer is no, never.
Can anyone cite specific prohibitions?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:24 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm
GCD wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm
Can anyone cite specific prohibitions?
I think it would be subject to whatever the terms of service agreed by the purchaser. It may vary by service.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm
OK - I am against "digital piracy" -- BUT is sharing passwords for services online "digital piracy"?
Of course it is. You are stealing a product.

I disagree with the insanity above that Netflix and other streaming services don't mind. Of course they do, why else would they even have a login/password? Why not just let the entire world in for free?

From their Terms of Use:

https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse

Passwords and Account Access
The member who created the Netflix account and whose Payment Method is charged is referred to here as the Account Owner. The Account Owner has access and control over the Netflix account. The Account Owner's control is exercised through use of the Account Owner's password and therefore to maintain exclusive control, the Account Owner should not reveal the password to anyone. In addition, if the Account Owner wishes to prohibit others from contacting Netflix Customer Service and potentially altering the Account Owner's control, the Account Owner should not reveal the Payment Method details (e.g., last four digits of their credit or debit card, or their email address if they use PayPal) associated with their account. You are responsible for updating and maintaining the truth and accuracy of the information you provide to us relating to your account.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm

praxis wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm
fatcharlie wrote:
I let our son at college stream on our Netflix account, but I pay for multiple screens. I just checked my plan and it allows 4 simultaneous screens for $11.99/month.

One screen is $7.99. Two is 10.99.
Yes, we also, iirc, pay an additional amount to provide 4k content without compression. I think Amazon doesn't care about how many connections if you're prime, and we don't seem to ever run out of Hulu screens. We let our kids use our passwords while they're at college or home.

I have strongly encouraged my kids not to steal content. I've had a number of friends who made their livings, such as they were, from photography and music, and I tell my kids that those friends wouldn't appreciate content being stolen. It might be a drop in the bucket to a major star, but the principle remains the same: pay for what you use.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

greg24 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm
[...]Of course it is. You are stealing a product.

I disagree with the insanity above that Netflix and other streaming services don't mind. Of course they do, why else would they even have a login/password? Why not just let the entire world in for free?

From their Terms of Use:

The member who created the Netflix account and whose Payment Method is charged is referred to here as the Account Owner. The Account Owner has access and control over the Netflix account. The Account Owner's control is exercised through use of the Account Owner's password and therefore to maintain exclusive control, the Account Owner should not reveal the password to anyone. In addition, if the Account Owner wishes to prohibit others from contacting Netflix Customer Service and potentially altering the Account Owner's control, the Account Owner should not reveal the Payment Method details (e.g., last four digits of their credit or debit card, or their email address if they use PayPal) associated with their account. You are responsible for updating and maintaining the truth and accuracy of the information you provide to us relating to your account.
Though I personally don't indulge in this "execrable" activity, nothing in the legal terms of use above - to me - appears to be stopping "The Account Owner" from sharing passwords. It does say that "The Account Owner" will lose control should he/she share the password. If he/she is not interested in maintaining "exclusive control", there is nothing in the language that says he/she shouldn't share that password. What am I missing?

SirToolman

Post by SirToolman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm

I pay for extra screens from Netflix and I have shared the information with select family members who use it. Occasionally they will throw me some money for maintaining the account.

No lying or stealing involved.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 pm

an_asker wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm
greg24 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm
[...]Of course it is. You are stealing a product.

From their Terms of Use:

Though I personally don't indulge in this "execrable" activity, nothing in the legal terms of use above - to me - appears to be stopping "The Account Owner" from sharing passwords. It does say that "The Account Owner" will lose control should he/she share the password. If he/she is not interested in maintaining "exclusive control", there is nothing in the language that says he/she shouldn't share that password. What am I missing?
My reading of that clause isn't that password sharing is prohibited, it's that 'if you share your password and someone does things to your account you don't like, that's your problem, not ours.'

GCD

Post by GCD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Well, in the interests of transparency, maybe I'm talking about something different.

My wife uses my Amazon Prime account for purchases. Does it really matter if she buys things on Amazon or if she sits next to me and tells me what to click on? So we are paying for Amazon Prime once, but multiple parties are using it. That's probably not the use of Amazon meant by the OP.

If I start watching free movies on Amazon Prime and my wife and 2 kids watch too does anyone really think I ought to send Amazon the money for 3 more subscriptions to Amazon Prime?

On the other hand, I do not account share in the sense that other people get on and use my account from a different location. I might do that for a family member, but only if the terms of service allowed it (see all the above comments about intellectual property, piracy, etc.). One selfish reason not to do account sharing is the security of the account.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Netflix is apparently somewhat self-limiting. We share our PW with DS who is at college. Evidently he shared it with some friends. When he discovered that he could no longer log into Netflix because there were too many concurrent logins, he asked us to change the PW and he quit sharing it. I wish all lessons were as easily learned as that one :happy

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm
greg24 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm
It is probably only digital piracy if you sell access (whether or not you share a password). If, how, and when password sharing is allowed depends on the service agreement. The services know the IP addresses to which they stream. If you are the customer of a streaming service and choose to share passwords in a manner that is in violation of the service agreement, you are taking on the potential liability of whatever recourse the streaming service might have.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Here is an interesting article on the sharing of passwords for streaming services along with the official rules of each of the services the OP mentioned.

http://time.com/money/4043147/hbo-netfl ... -password/

It sounds like most are okay with sharing passwords because it makes another streaming addict who may someday pay for their services.

[Edited to add that I see it was published in 2015 so may not be the most current rules.]
Last edited by lthenderson on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm

GCD wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 pm

My wife uses my Amazon Prime account for purchases. Does it really matter if she buys things on Amazon or if she sits next to me and tells me what to click on? So we are paying for Amazon Prime once, but multiple parties are using it.
My second cousin Billie Bob reads the Wall Street Journal for news. Does it really matter if he reads it or if he sits next to me and tells me what to click on? So we are paying for the Wall Street Journal once, but multiple parties are using it. (just kidding)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. This thread has run its course and is locked.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm

We have received more than one request to unlock this thread.

There are certainly many ways to legally share passwords within a streaming service's terms and conditions.

Based on the numerous replies which continue to stray into the gray area of ethics, this thread will remain locked (controversial). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.