Simplisafe or ADT

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
raamakoti

Simplisafe or ADT

Post by raamakoti » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

I wanted to understand what BH do for home safety
Thanks for your help

Sandtrap

Re: Simplisafe or ADT

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am

raamakoti wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am
Thanks for your help
5' high perimeter no climb fencing with a zillion volt hot line on it. Electric gates with keypad code. Wireless cameras. Nosy neighbors. Open grazing land with large fields of view. Attack horses. . . . guard cats. . . .
j :D

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am

raamakoti wrote:
Thanks for your help
There are lots of prior threads on the pros and cons of residential alarm systems and the various companies who offer them.

raamakoti

Post by raamakoti » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am
raamakoti wrote:
Thanks for your help
5' high perimeter no climb fencing with a zillion volt hot line on it. Electric gates with keypad code. Wireless cameras. Nosy neighbors. Open grazing land with large fields of view. Attack horses. . . . guard cats. . . .
j :D
:sharebeer
That would be sweet but not economical

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Those are two different genres of alarm; I'll leave that discussion to others.

But if you opt for the traditional (ADT style) monitored alarm, you want to read the fine print very carefully, and get a local alarm company to quote an install. At least a few years ago, the pricing model used by ADT and some of the other companies was sort of like 'free phone' cell service, where the install cost was recouped from a higher monthly bill - but the higher monthly bill continued forever even after the install was amortized. And you were locked in to their monitoring. The contract I read even said that if you discontinued service (like when you sold your house) they could remove the equipment and were not responsible for any damage caused in the process. I don't think that really do that, at least not very often, but it still seemed like a pretty bad contract.

By contrast, we arranged for our own install (once by a local alarm company and DIY on a later house) and signed up with one of the $10 a month monitoring companies. IIRC the payback period, even for the pro install, was 3.5 years or so. The alarm worked for the entire 25 years we were in that house, so it added up to substantial savings over time.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Yes, do be careful about the so-called free equipment deals, no matter which company you choose. Those deals often mean the alarm company continues to own the equipment, even after you discontinue monitoring service. Better to pay more up front and own the equipment so at least it's still useful to you as a noisemaker if you decide to discontinue the monitoring service down the road. Also, note that some systems can monitor for fire as well as unauthorized entry.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

SimpliSafe amazon reviews according to Fakespot!!
https://www.fakespot.com/product/simpli ... us-package
Excuse my English, it is my second language! | | "One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

raamakoti

Post by raamakoti » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 pm

whomever wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:53 pm
Those are two different genres of alarm; I'll leave that discussion to others.

But if you opt for the traditional (ADT style) monitored alarm, you want to read the fine print very carefully, and get a local alarm company to quote an install. At least a few years ago, the pricing model used by ADT and some of the other companies was sort of like 'free phone' cell service, where the install cost was recouped from a higher monthly bill - but the higher monthly bill continued forever even after the install was amortized. And you were locked in to their monitoring. The contract I read even said that if you discontinued service (like when you sold your house) they could remove the equipment and were not responsible for any damage caused in the process. I don't think that really do that, at least not very often, but it still seemed like a pretty bad contract.

By contrast, we arranged for our own install (once by a local alarm company and DIY on a later house) and signed up with one of the $10 a month monitoring companies. IIRC the payback period, even for the pro install, was 3.5 years or so. The alarm worked for the entire 25 years we were in that house, so it added up to substantial savings over time.
Thanks for all the feedback - in the house we moved in aready has ADT equipment installed. Its just a matter of activating the service and sign up for 3 years contract or leave the equipment as is and DIY simplisafe. Thats where the dilemma is.

plantdr

Post by plantdr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:08 am

Do not get ADT. I signed up several years ago and was locked in for 3 years. They kept increasing the amount they charged from $28 up to $40 a month. Since I was locked in, there was nothing that I could do but pay. As soon as I could cancel, I did. Fast forward 3 years, my home insurance went up significantly. They told me to get home alarm for the discount. I researched my options. If you plan on getting home phone, you can get monitoring for cheap using existing ADT hardware through Alarm Relay for $8. I did not go this route, because I got rid of my home phone. I still have internet, so I chose Simplisafe for $15 a month. We love it. It is easy and cheap. I still have the ADT hardware and would have gone the other route, but home phone is around $30 a month, which is expensive. Let us know what you decide.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:48 am

I installed Simplisafe and can't be happier. Easy to expand the system and a bargain at $15.00 per month. Can turn off the monitoring service at any time if I so desire. Yes, I have to change batteries every year but so what. Also, my BIL is in the security business and said to stay away from ADT as I would be severely disappointed. Don't forget, if you move you can take the Simplisafe system with you. Obviously, that cannot be done with ADT.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 pm

As another poster said, if you already have ADT equipment, I would do some research and find other companies who offer monitoring through ADT equipment. I have friends who have Honeywell and other cheap equipment brands, and they have a third-party monitoring their house for around $10/mo.
Cigarman wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:48 am
I installed Simplisafe and can't be happier. Easy to expand the system and a bargain at $15.00 per month. Can turn off the monitoring service at any time if I so desire. Yes, I have to change batteries every year but so what. Also, my BIL is in the security business and said to stay away from ADT as I would be severely disappointed. Don't forget, if you move you can take the Simplisafe system with you. Obviously, that cannot be done with ADT.
We've had SimpliSafe for 7 years, and there are sensors I haven't changed the batteries in yet. I believe the keypad tells you when they're unresponsive, but I still put the system in test mode and check them about twice a year. We love the SimpliSafe system. If you turn the motion sensors upside down, they only monitor straight out and up. My 100+ lb dog can go downstairs at night to drink and eat, without setting off the motion sensors. Anything above waist-level would.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 pm

As a former ADT customer I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole because of their expensive pricing and poor customer service.
raamakoti wrote:
We don't all do the same thing on any topic. Don't overlook the previous security system threads. In my case, we've been very happy with FrontPoint since leaving ADT a number of years ago.