Inexpensive way to ship heavy item...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kababayan

Inexpensive way to ship heavy item...

Post by Kababayan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am

Hello everyone. I recently purchased an item online that I would like to exchange. The company will do the exchange but I have to send the item back at my cost. The item is 100 lbs. I don't mind taking a loss on the item to get what I want. UPS will ship it back for $120 but that is almost half of the cost of the item. Does anyone have a shipping company they could suggest that ships heavy items a bit cheaper? I currently have the item up for sale locally, hoping that I can recoup the cost that way, but it is such a specialty item that I don't think it will sell quickly. Thank you in advance.

snowox

Re: Inexpensive way to ship heavy item...

Post by snowox » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 am

You can call around buy I doubt as a "single shipper" your going to find and better deal. Companies get discounted rates because of volume. Unless this is just a short little local move I dont see it being cheaper.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

Kababayan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am
Hello everyone. I recently purchased an item online that I would like to exchange. The company will do the exchange but I have to send the item back at my cost. The item is 100 lbs. I don't mind taking a loss on the item to get what I want. UPS will ship it back for $120 but that is almost half of the cost of the item. Does anyone have a shipping company they could suggest that ships heavy items a bit cheaper? I currently have the item up for sale locally, hoping that I can recoup the cost that way, but it is such a specialty item that I don't think it will sell quickly. Thank you in advance.
This is exactly the reason I am very wary of purchasing stuff online, especially items that a) I might not be comfortable with (clothing, footwear etc that might have an inaccurate fit or feel) and b) don't have free returns or shipping (or at least nominal shipping).

For instance, I am in the market for a table tennis (ping pong) table that I see online deals for, but I haven't yet purchased because of the headache involved in returning, should it come to that.

BTW, if you exchange this item, what guarantee do you have that you will be satisfied with the replacement?

Sorry, I don't really have an answer to your question - it would cost some muscle money just to pick it up from your house and again to drop it off at the destination. So, $120 is not that bad a deal though, unfortunately, related to the cost of the item, it does appear to be so!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

If the product isn't defective, you might take less of a loss by selling it locally.

cyclist

Post by cyclist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

Oddly enough, shipbikes.com is a good solution. (You're essentially using a bike shop's corporate FedEx account.) I've found it to be quite cost effective - just print the label, drop the package at a local FedEx drop-off facility, and you're all set.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 am

If it's an international shipment, you could look into an import/export company. It might take ages to arrive, but I've seen that be quite a bit cheaper when shipping large things long distances.

Otherwise, if it's a relatively close distance and it's just the weight that's causing an issue, might you be able to drive it yourself for less gas money than what the shipper was charging?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 am

How much personal service does the company have? I have read that you can ship things fairly cheaply on greyhound buses but there is no real tracking and they wont tell you how long it will take to get there. Someone at the company would have to go pick it up from a terminal.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

FedEx is usually better than UPS on large and/or heavy items.

Kababayan

Post by Kababayan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Thank you all for the help. I may just keep trying to re-sell the item locally. The item was too heavy for shipbikes.com, and Fedex and UPS were about the same price and the cheapest so far. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Will the company reject a return for refund?

If so you should try to file one of those return protection claims if your credit card offers it. Many times they say they want you to send them the item but I find that they don’t most of the time. You could get your refund and the item.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Kababayan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am
I currently have the item up for sale locally, hoping that I can recoup the cost that way, but it is such a specialty item that I don't think it will sell quickly.
If the item can be bought from other normal sources then a local buyer would likely need a discount to make it worthwhile buying it from you. You might also not find a local buyer and then what are you going to do with it?

It might make sense to just bite the bullet and pay the shipping to return the item.

Kababayan

Post by Kababayan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm

If so you should try to file one of those return protection claims if your credit card offers it. Many times they say they want you to send them the item but I find that they don’t most of the time. You could get your refund and the item.

Great idea. I"ll check on that.

hand

Post by hand » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Two other ideas for heavy shipping that may or may not be useful for your specific situation of needing to deliver to a business:

1) Industrial supplier Fastenal does store to store shipping that is sometimes competitive for big heavy items:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... p?t=359936

2) I've gotten quotes for big items with uship that seemed reasonable.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 pm

If there is a company that sells that item locally, perhaps they will buy it from you if you deliver it to their store. After all, it is still brand new and they can resell it at a profit.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Kababayan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:25 pm
Jags4186 wrote:

Great idea. I"ll check on that.
This works especially well if the company say has a 30 day return policy and you just wait between then and the 90 day protection time period.

Kababayan

Post by Kababayan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Jags4186 wrote:

The company will accept the return, but they won't pay for return shipping. Thanks anyway for the idea.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 pm

One option is, if the seller is willing to pick the item up locally instead of doorstep delivery, you can ship by Greyhound bus.
Greyhound busses accept packages/ small freight and can ship from any terminal to another. It is not a fast process and the recipient will have to go to their local terminal to pick the package up, but it is usually relatively cheap even for heavy packages. We used to ship ductile iron (HEAVY) pipe fittings like this all the time.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

Kababayan

Post by Kababayan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

N1CKV wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 pm
One option is, if the seller is willing to pick the item up locally instead of doorstep delivery, you can ship by Greyhound bus.
Greyhound busses accept packages/ small freight and can ship from any terminal to another. It is not a fast process and the recipient will have to go to their local terminal to pick the package up, but it is usually relatively cheap even for heavy packages. We used to ship ductile iron (HEAVY) pipe fittings like this all the time.
Thank you very much fir the idea. I did check Greyhound and it would be about $20 cheaper. The seller has a 120 day return policy so I think I am going to try and sell it in that time-frame and revisit returning it when the return policy window is about to close. Thank you all for your ideas. Please consider my question answered. Thanks again.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 am

FedEx Smartpost.

MJS

Post by MJS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Is there an auto driveaway service (that drives cars from one place to another) locally that might let you piggy back on a delivery? Or with Christmas coming, a homeward-bound student who would be willing to deliver your item for gas+ money?

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 pm

USPS flat rate box? Not sure of the size of your item or if USPS has weight restrictions.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm

aua868s

Post by aua868s » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 pm

cyclist wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am
Oddly enough, shipbikes.com is a good solution. (You're essentially using a bike shop's corporate FedEx account.) I've found it to be quite cost effective - just print the label, drop the package at a local FedEx drop-off facility, and you're all set.
The weight limit for shipping through www.shipbikes.com seems to be 60 lbs.
My Plan: * 50℅ US, 25℅ Int'l, 25℅ Fixed Income * Fixed Income: IRA CDs/Total Bond Mkt/Short Term Bond Mkt. * Everything over 4 months' expenses gets invested.

jjbiv

Post by jjbiv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 pm

For an item that heavy, your best bet for address-to-address service is an LTL (Less Than Truckload) carrier like FedEx Freight (different from the more familiar FedEx Express and Ground), UPS Freight, or others. Sometimes there are less expensive lesser known regional carriers too. Will the shipper let you use their account to ship the item back if you cover the cost of shipping? What method did they use to ship the item to you?