It's that time of year again... buying christmas gifts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jags4186

Re: It's that time of year again... buying christmas gifts

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 am

tony5412 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 am
sambb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 pm
I’m shocked you guys give your boss gifts. I would never give my boss a gift.
my boss is great, and i am so appreciative of being employed. I am so fortunate to be born in this country and have such opportunities in corportate america. My boss deserves 10x what i am getting him.
:o
LoL. Unless your boss owns the company (which he likely doesn’t considering he has a boss) you don’t really need to be all that appreciative. He is a cog in the wheel just like you are.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am

tony5412 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 am
sambb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 pm
wow, i spend $300 on my boss's gift, and the same on his boss's gift. I think it is the cost of doing business, or having friends or having family. most of all, i ENJOY giving these people nice things to show my appreciation. Money can always be made, but relationships cant always be repaired.
Bribing your boss and boss's boss with $300 gifts? I thought that was not a good move politically in an office?
The cost of having friends or family is $300 Christmas gifts? This statement just made me a lot more thankful for my friends and family, and my boss. If I tried to give my boss a Christmas gift, he'd probably laugh, and then immediately put it back on my desk unwrapped with a note to return it.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:13 pm

i know my real friends by the fact i don't need to give them $300 gifts every year

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:21 pm

We get gifts mostly for the kids in my family, and draw names for each adult and have a spending limit of $50. Only need to buy for one adult instead of all the adults.. seems to work well. When the kids get cash they spend some and save some, what they save I put it in their ESA or 529 accounts.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 pm

sambb wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
my boss is great, and i am so appreciative of being employed. I am so fortunate to be born in this country and have such opportunities in corportate america. My boss deserves 10x what i am getting him.
Your coworkers may not think very highly of this gesture.

TravelforFun

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm

I love Christmas...I love getting my wife presents that she would never buy for herself (but that she likes). I don't typically buy gifts outside of the family though, and the thought of buying a gift for anyone at work is completely foreign.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm
I love Christmas...I love getting my wife presents that she would never buy for herself (but that she likes). I don't typically buy gifts outside of the family though, and the thought of buying a gift for anyone at work is completely foreign.
You're a much better husband than a lot of guys. My wife buys whatever she needs or wants whenever she wants it and that leaves me struggling at Christmas time.

TravelfoFun

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 pm

IowaFarmWife wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm
I love Christmas, as does my family, but we keep it inexpensive and simple. I just buy for my husband and four children and my mother, and I donate to a few charities, too. The most I spend on each person is $50-60. Total Christmas budget for everyone/everything is $600.
$600 is inexpensive? :confused

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 am

Wricha wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm
1210sda wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:50 am
Caduceus wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:26 am
You could tell people that in lieu of Christmas gifts, you will donate an amount to the charity of their choice. That's my default, not just for Christmas, but for many other events. People seem quite happy to do this.
The Human Fund does great work.
Ha Ha. Obviously a Seinfeld fan. Me too! :beer
Good one. I must admit I got a cow or goat from someone for a village in the third world. To this day I still think this is bizarre. Sounds like the Human Fund in drag. I sent that person Ohama NY strip and I got the cow kinda
Did we work at the same place?

A former boss o’ mine donated a goat to some remote village somewhere as her Christmas gift to us (staff) one year. I think that was the same year the Board of Directors started doing 360 evaluations of the ED. :D

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 pm
sambb wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

TravelforFun
Agreed. "Toady" and other terms spring to mind ... I don't recall this issue being broached on The Office. Maybe it's not common practice.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm
You're a much better husband than a lot of guys. My wife buys whatever she needs or wants whenever she wants it and that leaves me struggling at Christmas time.

TravelfoFun
It's not as easy as it sounds since she doesn't wear jewelry really.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

F150HD wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 pm
I love Christmas, as does my family, but we keep it inexpensive and simple. I just buy for my husband and four children and my mother, and I donate to a few charities, too. The most I spend on each person is $50-60. Total Christmas budget for everyone/everything is $600.
$600 is inexpensive? :confused
Doesn't the raw dollar amount kind of depend on a person's income level? For me, I'd consider myself cheap if I spent less than $600 on just my wife. Using other metrics...I wouldn't have a problem spending the equivalent of a mortgage payment on Christmas...or taking one month's savings and spending it on gifts.

SirToolman

Post by SirToolman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am
TravelforFun wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 pm
sambb wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

TravelforFun
Agreed. "Toady" and other terms spring to mind ... I don't recall this issue being broached on The Office. Maybe it's not common practice.
Watch the Christmas episode where they do grab bag gifts with a limit of $20 and Michael buys an iPod. Then he gets upset that he got a cheap gift.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:13 am

I go to the nearest Dollar Store and spend about $50 buying 50 gifts (plus those little bags so I don't have to wrap them and Xmas cards). Tooth brushes, glue sticks, perfume, candy, batteries, toilet paper etc you name it. General stuff that will get used at some point in the recipients year. Yes its goofy and being a cheapo but they get the idea and they like it cuz 1. its another gift to open 2. its useful 3. it always gets a laugh. You can always hand out cash as well......bet where is the fun in that?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am

I don’t mind spending money buying Xmas gifts, I just don’t like the stress of buying gifts, I don’t even know what I want, how does anybody know what to buy for me. I don’t like my kids to be stressed out buying gifts either. However, I do spend a lot of money on food. I try to create a good atmosphere for everybody to enjoy the holidays.

inittowinit

Post by inittowinit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:06 pm

OP, I feel your pain! My "language of love" is acts of service, not materials gifts, so I always feel at a steep emotional and social disadvantage during this time of year.

My dad's side of my family loves Christmas and relishes in showering everyone with tons of gifts. My girlfriend and I love spending time with them at the holidays, but since we are totally not into spending on material objects it makes it a very stressful and uncomfortable time of year for us.

I DEEPLY dread the week or two before xmas when I am forced to come up with ideas for material gifts for 10+ family members who I only see 2-3 times per year. It is particularly hard when they are especially generous in their gift spending (which I wish they weren't, since ~50% of the gifts go unused/unread/unworn).

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:06 pm
My girl and I just had our annual fight about the Christmas budget. I absolutely hate the pressures of society forcing me to buy unnecessary gifts for people who don't need it. I checked our budget ($600 total ($300 each)) and it still frustrates me; my brain just isn't wired this way.

How can I shake my inner-scrooge one time of year? How does everyone do it? :annoyed
Maybe donate toys or money to a church or other organization that provides them for children who otherwise wouldn't have them, either here in the U.S. or in other countries. Some churches send shoeboxes with toiletries and small toys to Mexico and other countries. Other organizations provide seeds or farm animals to poor families. Give the gifts in the name of the people you feel pressured to give gifts to. Some organizations will even send them a card for you.

I saw these photos yesterday and looking at the things these poor children are using as toys held in their tiny worn hands should affect your inner Scrooge like the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in- ... h-in-exile

Post by 123 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:22 am

We're not too much into Christmas gifts on Christmas Day. We start somewhat earlier. Starting around October we believe it's reasonable to start the Christmas giving between myself and spouse. If we buy ourselves something (which might includes things that might be viewed as unnecessary or indulgence) then we simply tell the spouse "Don't worry, I just bought myself my own Christmas gift, thank you so very much, It's just what I wanted". If I'm along and she's clothes shopping I'll pay for it with my credit card and say "Merry Christmas". Stuff like that. I usually buy my bicycle doodads and she often buys more purses during our Christmas shopping window.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Onion

Post by Onion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:45 pm

mikep wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:21 pm
We get gifts mostly for the kids in my family, and draw names for each adult and have a spending limit of $50. Only need to buy for one adult instead of all the adults.. seems to work well. When the kids get cash they spend some and save some, what they save I put it in their ESA or 529 accounts.
I have found these "Secret Santa"-type ideas to be a good compromise.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Only time I've given a boss a gift it was a tiny company where I worked directly with the owners, the gift was just a nice gold Christmas ornament (~$15) and got one for the coworker. Seemed to get sincere appreciation being obviously just a gesture related to the holiday. I would suggest something like this for others in a small place like that.

If you are in corporate and giving a gift to your boss, you have a problem and yes your coworkers hate you. They are correct!

Barracuda

Post by Barracuda » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:11 am

reggiesimpson wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:13 am
I go to the nearest Dollar Store and spend about $50 buying 50 gifts (plus those little bags so I don't have to wrap them and Xmas cards). Tooth brushes, glue sticks, perfume, candy, batteries, toilet paper etc you name it. General stuff that will get used at some point in the recipients year. Yes its goofy and being a cheapo but they get the idea and they like it cuz 1. its another gift to open 2. its useful 3. it always gets a laugh. You can always hand out cash as well......bet where is the fun in that?
Handing out cash is totally not fun. But somehow it has survived thousand years of Chinese tradition.
I hate hitting the ATM just before meeting the relatives during Chinese New Years and scramble for red envelops.
After handing out the red envelops to relatives' kids, and my kid getting his share of envelops, it's time to deposit all the cash back.
Such a hassle.