Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
euroswiss
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by euroswiss » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:56 pm

I was just getting ready to place an order online at Walmart.com when I noticed that the item I was ordering had two prices. Price #1 ($6.64) when shipped "FREE 2DAY SHIPPING" to my door, and Price #2 ($5.56) for "Free Pickup at the Store". As it turns out, Price #2 is the regular price at the Walmart store. It seems to me that selling the same item for a higher price and then claim "FREE shipping" is a pretty questionable (or maybe even deceptive) marketing practice. I realize that the piper has to be paid somehow and there is "no free lunch", and I appreciate Walmart's efforts to compete with Amazon, but COME ON NOW! :?

Marylander1
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Marylander1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Since various prices are all FREE, they could give more options:
  • $5.56 for FREE in-store pickup
  • $6.64 for FREE 2-day delivery
  • $12.89 for FREE 1-day delivery
  • $38.89 for FREE 4-hour delivery
  • $298.44 for FREE delivery by zeppelin courier
  • $999.99 for FREE delivery by zeppelin courier with marching band
  • $116,999 for FREE delivery in a Tesla Roadster that you keep
-Marylander1

euroswiss
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by euroswiss » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Marylander1 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 pm
Since various prices are all FREE, they could give more options:
  • $5.56 for FREE in-store pickup
  • $6.64 for FREE 2-day delivery
  • $12.89 for FREE 1-day delivery
  • $38.89 for FREE 4-hour delivery
  • $298.44 for FREE delivery by zeppelin courier
  • $999.99 for FREE delivery by zeppelin courier with marching band
  • $116,999 for FREE delivery in a Tesla Roadster that you keep
-Marylander1
Exactly! Neat, isn't it?

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pajamas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:16 pm

In addition to it not being free, my experience with Walmart is that their two-day shipping often takes much longer and that they aren't very concerned about that.

On the other hand, the "shipping" part is true.

JBTX
Posts: 1700
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by JBTX » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm

By the same token some amazon prices are inflated to cover the “free shipping”.

euroswiss
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by euroswiss » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:27 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm
By the same token some amazon prices are inflated to cover the “free shipping”.
That is undoubtedly true. I just thought it was pretty cheesy for Walmart to somehow imply you get this extraordinary deal when you order online and then pick up at the store, when in fact it turns out to be the regular store price. Of course Amazon doesn't need to worry about that as they have few/no brick and mortar stores....

runner3081
Posts: 837
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by runner3081 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:35 pm

euroswiss wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:56 pm
I was just getting ready to place an order online at Walmart.com when I noticed that the item I was ordering had two prices. Price #1 ($6.64) when shipped "FREE 2DAY SHIPPING" to my door, and Price #2 ($5.56) for "Free Pickup at the Store". As it turns out, Price #2 is the regular price at the Walmart store. It seems to me that selling the same item for a higher price and then claim "FREE shipping" is a pretty questionable (or maybe even deceptive) marketing practice. I realize that the piper has to be paid somehow and there is "no free lunch", and I appreciate Walmart's efforts to compete with Amazon, but COME ON NOW! :?
Walmart now offers a store pickup discount on many items. This may have been what you were seeing.

From here: http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/det ... p-discount

"Pickup Discount
You love saving money with Walmart's Every Day Low Prices. Now you can save even more with Pickup Discount*. Walmart is now offering a discount on eligible, online-only (non-store) items that you buy online and ship to any Walmart store for pick up.
Here's how Pickup Discount works, buy any item notated with "Pickup Discount" on Walmart.com and ship it to your local store for pick up. You will receive a discount based on each individual item.
As an example, this Britax B-SAFE 35 Infant Car Seat, Slate Strie shows an additional Pickup Discount of $7.40 giving you a new price of $140.65. Discounted price will be reflected during checkout."

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12104
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Toons » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Walmart wants You to spend YOUR gas and time driving to the store rather than them,,,,
Paying Fed Ex or Ups to deliver it,,dollars and cents. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 5878
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Amazon does this and I see it all the time. Say total is $50 with free 2 day shipping. I can click the box for 5 or 7 day shipping for a $5 credit, reducing the order price.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

runner3081
Posts: 837
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by runner3081 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 pm
Amazon does this and I see it all the time. Say total is $50 with free 2 day shipping. I can click the box for 5 or 7 day shipping for a $5 credit, reducing the order price.
Really? They do that now? I have never seen an instant credit off my current order. It is always a credit for a Pantry or digital credit.

sco
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by sco » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:31 pm

There is all sorts of stuff at amazon at is cheaper without the "free shipping".. Exactly who do you think pays for that shipping?

mxs
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by mxs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:46 pm

I ordered a couple items a few days ago and noticed the pick up at store and ship to home price difference and thought it odd. Personally, I didn't want the items likely sitting on my doorstep so I preferred store pick up. The price should be the same, but I guess I am saving some money my way.

randomguy
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by randomguy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:51 pm

euroswiss wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:27 pm
JBTX wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm
By the same token some amazon prices are inflated to cover the “free shipping”.
That is undoubtedly true. I just thought it was pretty cheesy for Walmart to somehow imply you get this extraordinary deal when you order online and then pick up at the store, when in fact it turns out to be the regular store price. Of course Amazon doesn't need to worry about that as they have few/no brick and mortar stores....

Maybe the real price is the online one and the store one is a discounted one?:) Given that it is legal to advertise 19.99 products that have mandatory charges of 10 for bussiness expenses (i.e. not taxes), I would say we are in the buyer beware age of shopping.

User avatar
celia
Posts: 7166
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by celia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:45 am

I noticed about a year ago that some items I buy regularly weren't being re-stocked on the shelves. But I was delighted to find them still at WalMart.com and put in an order for about 8-10 things, for which I got free shipping. Then they started arriving one or two items per box, spread over a week or so. One item never arrived although my online order had a delivery date for it. I gave it time, them spent about a half hour online with them to get my money back. It must be that the items were coming from different warehouses, and the amount they had to pay for sending some of the items was worth more than the items (some were under $1). I figured, Oh well, they will have to work the kinks out of the system before they make any money.

On my second order, I had everything shipped to the store since I had been annoyed with a package arriving each day. At the store, I could go in after all the packages arrived (per their emails), right? But the emails said the packages would only be held for 7 days. Some of the items took more than 7 days to come, so that meant an extra trip. And the first time I went to pick up my packages, I learned the hard way that packages could only be picked up during certain hours and no-one was manning the pick-up counter even though I rang for someone several times. So this time I still had multiple deliveries, but three trips to the store to get the "free shipping". (Actually, I waited too long to pick up the last item and it went back to the warehouse.)

So I didn't like either method and now I am trying to figure out if I should put in a third order for my favorite tea (an item no longed shelved at the store). I used to be able to go in and toss it in my cart any time, but now I hesitate. How would I prefer to be annoyed by them? The cost of "free shipping" or not is small compared to the inconvenience.

Pacific
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Lost in the middle of the Pacific

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pacific » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:07 am

Marylander1 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 pm
Since various prices are all FREE, they could give more options:
  • $5.56 for FREE in-store pickup
  • $6.64 for FREE 2-day delivery
  • $12.89 for FREE 1-day delivery
  • $38.89 for FREE 4-hour delivery
  • $298.44 for FREE delivery by zeppelin courier
  • $999.99 for FREE delivery by zeppelin courier with marching band
  • $116,999 for FREE delivery in a Tesla Roadster that you keep
-Marylander1
Best post of the year! lol

tampaite
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by tampaite » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:57 am

euroswiss wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:56 pm
I was just getting ready to place an order online at Walmart.com when I noticed that the item I was ordering had two prices. Price #1 ($6.64) when shipped "FREE 2DAY SHIPPING" to my door, and Price #2 ($5.56) for "Free Pickup at the Store". As it turns out, Price #2 is the regular price at the Walmart store. It seems to me that selling the same item for a higher price and then claim "FREE shipping" is a pretty questionable (or maybe even deceptive) marketing practice. I realize that the piper has to be paid somehow and there is "no free lunch", and I appreciate Walmart's efforts to compete with Amazon, but COME ON NOW! :?
Atleast they are honest and showing that free-shipping does cost money. I see nothing wrong with that. I would be pissed if it was the other way around.

User avatar
Geneyus
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Geneyus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:52 am

Toons wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:41 pm
Walmart wants You to spend YOUR gas and time driving to the store rather than them,,,,
Paying Fed Ex or Ups to deliver it,,dollars and cents. :happy
If a store is nearby, or you pass it everyday, it's a good deal. I'd rather have something a few hours after I ordered it than 2 days later, if I need it soon for a trip/project/etc. I pass Walmart every day in my work vehicle, so I can drop in there and pick up an order while working.

Lately, I've noticed Walmart and their third-party sellers have beaten Amazon's prices on some things. I'm glad someone is competing with Amazon, even if it's another giant. The consumer wins when there are more and more options.

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am

Thread derailment.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am
Enjoy the social element of seeing other humans in the store.
That is a good reason to avoid many stores, including Walmart. It's why people like ATMs and drive-throughs and delivery and buying online.

barnaclebob
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 am

sco wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:31 pm
There is all sorts of stuff at amazon at is cheaper without the "free shipping".. Exactly who do you think pays for that shipping?
Do you have an example of an item that amazon sells where you can opt to pay for shipping and it will be a cheaper price?

2m2037
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by 2m2037 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:26 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:35 pm
euroswiss wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:56 pm
I was just getting ready to place an order online at Walmart.com when I noticed that the item I was ordering had two prices. Price #1 ($6.64) when shipped "FREE 2DAY SHIPPING" to my door, and Price #2 ($5.56) for "Free Pickup at the Store". As it turns out, Price #2 is the regular price at the Walmart store. It seems to me that selling the same item for a higher price and then claim "FREE shipping" is a pretty questionable (or maybe even deceptive) marketing practice. I realize that the piper has to be paid somehow and there is "no free lunch", and I appreciate Walmart's efforts to compete with Amazon, but COME ON NOW! :?
Walmart now offers a store pickup discount on many items. This may have been what you were seeing.

From here: http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/det ... p-discount

"Pickup Discount
You love saving money with Walmart's Every Day Low Prices. Now you can save even more with Pickup Discount*. Walmart is now offering a discount on eligible, online-only (non-store) items that you buy online and ship to any Walmart store for pick up.
Here's how Pickup Discount works, buy any item notated with "Pickup Discount" on Walmart.com and ship it to your local store for pick up. You will receive a discount based on each individual item.
As an example, this Britax B-SAFE 35 Infant Car Seat, Slate Strie shows an additional Pickup Discount of $7.40 giving you a new price of $140.65. Discounted price will be reflected during checkout."
I just purchased something that was available for immediate pickup at store A (7 miles away) at $10, or I could have it shipped for free to store B (2 miles away) at $14, or shipped to my home at $14.

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Thread derailment.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:09 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm

95% of the US population made a Walmart purchase in 2016.

That 95% includes online-only shoppers, not just in-store shoppers.

There are much better ways to "see humanity" than shopping at Walmart. Shopping at Walmart is one of the worst ways to "see humanity", in my opinion. I simply don't see the connection you are trying to make.

User avatar
celia
Posts: 7166
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by celia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am
Enjoy the social element of seeing other humans in the store.
That is a good reason to avoid many stores, including Walmart. It's why people like ATMs and drive-throughs and delivery and buying online.
The reminds me of people who are glued to their cell phones all day. Sometimes they don't even call anyone, but they are holding a phone. They are like robots just clicking away on their keyboard.

I have had some very good experiences in WalMart, with humans. About two weeks ago, I spoke with a lady for about half an hour who had just moved here from another state. She told me she is moving in with her son and will take care of the grandkids. We exchanged some ideas relating to maintaining our health, and where we had both lived before. I look forward to seeing her again in WalMart. I've also had interesting conversations with pharmacy people when there aren't other customers waiting. And if another person and I are looking at the same product, we may compare notes on it.

I think we should act more like people and help each other out, even in small ways. Even if walking past a homeless person, acknowledge them and wish them a good day or whatever. They aren't invisible flies on the wall. And you never know when one interaction with a person will be just the thing that makes their day. Talking to someone new like the lady in WalMart made my day (and lasted for several more days)!

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Thread derailment.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

azurekep
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by azurekep » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 pm

celia wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm
The reminds me of people who are glued to their cell phones all day. Sometimes they don't even call anyone, but they are holding a phone.
Evolution

Our posture is going to permanently change through natural selection. ;)

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by avalpert » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:15 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am
Enjoy the social element of seeing other humans in the store.
That is a good reason to avoid many stores, including Walmart. It's why people like ATMs and drive-throughs and delivery and buying online.
95% of the US population made a Walmart purchase in 2016.

Nothing wrong with being a hermit and staying in your car or behind the screen of a computer for all of your shopping needs, but we consider it not a very healthy thing for our society.

Get out and about every now and then to see humanity. We are all a part of it.
I would say that is the worst reason to go shopping in-store I have ever seen - and a ridiculous false dilemma to boot

The time/energy saved by shopping online and having it delivered opens you up to much more effective and rewarding opportunities to see humanity.

sco
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by sco » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:33 pm

You realize that for a large portion of the country, Walmart is THE place to shop. Many small towns don't have a lot of other options...

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pajamas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:57 pm
Or not getting out of the car to order one's food, or do their banking.
Maybe it's best not to go from the kitchen in your single-family house into your garage and then get into a small plastic, metal, and glass bubble in order to move around? If you walked down the sidewalk or took the subway or a bus and ate in a restaurant or sat in the park, you might not feel such an extreme need to go shopping at Walmart just to be able to see other humans. Seems almost desperate!

I agree with you that riding a bike is slightly better than being in a car, but perhaps not so much in that particular aspect.
sco wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:33 pm
You realize that for a large portion of the country, Walmart is THE place to shop. Many small towns don't have a lot of other options...
You realize that in some parts of the country, there are NO Walmarts at all?

I have lived in places such as you describe and Walmart was still the last place I would choose to go to in order to interact with other humans.

User avatar
steadyeddy
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: The Alps of the Midwest

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by steadyeddy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:01 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:16 pm
In addition to it not being free, my experience with Walmart is that their two-day shipping often takes much longer and that they aren't very concerned about that.

On the other hand, the "shipping" part is true.
+1

Their “two-day” shipping has never taken less than six days to arrive to my door. I called the first time, and the CSR tells me two day arrival is a stretch goal for them and not guaranteed. Meanwhile, Amazon delivers my Friday afternoon purchases on Sunday morning.

Rupert
Posts: 2728
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Rupert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 am

I find it extremely interesting that all Walmart or Sam's Club threads on Bogleheads turn into political arguments. Do a search for "Sam's Club vs. Costco" threads, and you'll see what I mean. Why is someone an "elitist" because they don't like shopping in Walmart? I don't like shopping in dollar stores. I also don't like Home Depot very much. I absolutely despise Old Navy. Anyone want to guess my political and cultural affiliations based on that information?

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pajamas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 am

Rupert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 am

Why is someone an "elitist" because they don't like shopping in Walmart?
Seems elitist to shop in Walmart as it could be seen as an endorsement of their less favorable treatment of their workers compared to other stores like Costco or Trader Joe's and also their emphasis on lowest prices regardless of the human and environmental consequences.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 am

Back to original comment (and intention of this thread).
I don't feel it is a deceptive marketing practice as we all know that Shipping isn't really "free" and as others have mentioned Amazon has been doing this for a long time. As long as they clearly show the different options and prices (like Amazon does) I don't think it is a big deal.
I also don't think this "type" of marketing practice is anything new with online shopping. For years stores have had "Buy one and get one free" deals. Do you think the second item is really "Free"? One week they might discount 50% where the next week they will raise the prices back up to list and have a "buy one get one free" deal. Know your prices and pay what you feel is fair. If you don't think paying an extra dollar is worth your precious time to avoid running out to the store - then don't place the on-line order.

randomguy
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by randomguy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:52 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 am
sco wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:31 pm
There is all sorts of stuff at amazon at is cheaper without the "free shipping".. Exactly who do you think pays for that shipping?
Do you have an example of an item that amazon sells where you can opt to pay for shipping and it will be a cheaper price?
There are often 3rd party deals (some of them fulfilled by amazon) where paying for shipping results in a lower price than the amazon price with free shipping. I will leave that up to you to decide if that is sold by amazon or not.

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by avalpert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm

Rupert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 am
I find it extremely interesting that all Walmart or Sam's Club threads on Bogleheads turn into political arguments. Do a search for "Sam's Club vs. Costco" threads, and you'll see what I mean. Why is someone an "elitist" because they don't like shopping in Walmart? I don't like shopping in dollar stores. I also don't like Home Depot very much. I absolutely despise Old Navy. Anyone want to guess my political and cultural affiliations based on that information?
I'm going to say you are a die hard Bucktail with some Bohemian National Alliance leanings.

Easy Rhino
Posts: 3202
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:13 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Best Buy also often has a buck off for store pickup.

Rupert
Posts: 2728
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Rupert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:29 pm

avalpert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Rupert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 am
I find it extremely interesting that all Walmart or Sam's Club threads on Bogleheads turn into political arguments. Do a search for "Sam's Club vs. Costco" threads, and you'll see what I mean. Why is someone an "elitist" because they don't like shopping in Walmart? I don't like shopping in dollar stores. I also don't like Home Depot very much. I absolutely despise Old Navy. Anyone want to guess my political and cultural affiliations based on that information?
I'm going to say you are a die hard Bucktail with some Bohemian National Alliance leanings.
Mom?

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:00 pm

I converted from Amazon to Wal-Mart online, but Wal-Mart makes things very confusing. Some of the items are store only, which I haven't noticed until checkout. I'm not spending an hour in my car to pick up a $1 item that's store only if I'm shopping online.

They also offer tiny discounts per item if you use slow shipping.

I think they need to simplify things and have more transparent pricing for sure.

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by avalpert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Rupert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:29 pm
avalpert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm
Rupert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 am
I find it extremely interesting that all Walmart or Sam's Club threads on Bogleheads turn into political arguments. Do a search for "Sam's Club vs. Costco" threads, and you'll see what I mean. Why is someone an "elitist" because they don't like shopping in Walmart? I don't like shopping in dollar stores. I also don't like Home Depot very much. I absolutely despise Old Navy. Anyone want to guess my political and cultural affiliations based on that information?
I'm going to say you are a die hard Bucktail with some Bohemian National Alliance leanings.
Mom?
Just an astute observer

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Thread derailment.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by avalpert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm
avalpert wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:15 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am
Enjoy the social element of seeing other humans in the store.
That is a good reason to avoid many stores, including Walmart. It's why people like ATMs and drive-throughs and delivery and buying online.
95% of the US population made a Walmart purchase in 2016.

Nothing wrong with being a hermit and staying in your car or behind the screen of a computer for all of your shopping needs, but we consider it not a very healthy thing for our society.

Get out and about every now and then to see humanity. We are all a part of it.
I would say that is the worst reason to go shopping in-store I have ever seen - and a ridiculous false dilemma to boot

The time/energy saved by shopping online and having it delivered opens you up to much more effective and rewarding opportunities to see humanity.
My bad for sticking my nose into the discussion and interrupting the OP's initial concerns about the number of shipping days and pricing for those services.

Just found such a thread to strike me as being worthy of a comment on societal trends that energy and focus was being spent on concerns about one day, two day, or however many day shipping concerns.
I see no relationship between 'societal trends and focus on shipping times/cost' and human social interaction - it is a complete non-sequitir

As I said, your contrast between either being a hermit who does online shopping or getting out and about to see humanity is a ridiculous false dilemma and it seems to me your response is full of projection and says more about you than other posters or social trends.

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Thread derailment.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by avalpert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 pm
avalpert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm
avalpert wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:15 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 pm


95% of the US population made a Walmart purchase in 2016.

Nothing wrong with being a hermit and staying in your car or behind the screen of a computer for all of your shopping needs, but we consider it not a very healthy thing for our society.

Get out and about every now and then to see humanity. We are all a part of it.
I would say that is the worst reason to go shopping in-store I have ever seen - and a ridiculous false dilemma to boot

The time/energy saved by shopping online and having it delivered opens you up to much more effective and rewarding opportunities to see humanity.
My bad for sticking my nose into the discussion and interrupting the OP's initial concerns about the number of shipping days and pricing for those services.

Just found such a thread to strike me as being worthy of a comment on societal trends that energy and focus was being spent on concerns about one day, two day, or however many day shipping concerns.
I see no relationship between 'societal trends and focus on shipping times/cost' and human social interaction - it is a complete non-sequitir

As I said, your contrast between either being a hermit who does online shopping or getting out and about to see humanity is a ridiculous false dilemma and it seems to me your response is full of projection and says more about you than other posters or social trends.
Feel free to diagnose if it makes your crank feel better.
Right back at you

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Apologies for the thread derailment.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

avalpert
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by avalpert » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:09 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm
avalpert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 pm
avalpert wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm


My bad for sticking my nose into the discussion and interrupting the OP's initial concerns about the number of shipping days and pricing for those services.

Just found such a thread to strike me as being worthy of a comment on societal trends that energy and focus was being spent on concerns about one day, two day, or however many day shipping concerns.
I see no relationship between 'societal trends and focus on shipping times/cost' and human social interaction - it is a complete non-sequitir

As I said, your contrast between either being a hermit who does online shopping or getting out and about to see humanity is a ridiculous false dilemma and it seems to me your response is full of projection and says more about you than other posters or social trends.
Feel free to diagnose if it makes your crank feel better.
Right back at you
You obviously have a beef. Sorry that you feel the need to have it result in any sort of finality for your own sake. I will stick to my opinion and the right to state it if and when I desire - as will you. It's not the first time you have come forward with your non-sequitur or false dilemma jargon, nor I doubt it will be the last time.
Well, if you keep putting them out there I will have to keep using the appropriate 'jargon'.

You are absolutely free to stick to your opinion and freely state it (well, within the confines of the forum's rules and moderator discretion of course).

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Thread derailment.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pajamas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Disclaimer: We are shareholders in stock of both Amazon and Walmart.
That's a disclosure, not a disclaimer. :oops:

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Pajamas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 am

euroswiss wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:56 pm
I was just getting ready to place an order online at Walmart.com when I noticed that the item I was ordering had two prices. Price #1 ($6.64) when shipped "FREE 2DAY SHIPPING" to my door, and Price #2 ($5.56) for "Free Pickup at the Store". As it turns out, Price #2 is the regular price at the Walmart store. It seems to me that selling the same item for a higher price and then claim "FREE shipping" is a pretty questionable (or maybe even deceptive) marketing practice. I realize that the piper has to be paid somehow and there is "no free lunch", and I appreciate Walmart's efforts to compete with Amazon, but COME ON NOW! :?
I placed an order for some canned and bottled groceries from Walmart's website a couple of months ago and the fulfillment and delivery was so terrible that I ended up with a $5 gift certificate as an apology. I decided to use it yesterday, but all of items I had purchased before had increased in price by 40 to 70%, except for one!

So sure, delivery is free, but apparently they recently figured out that they need to adjust the prices upwards to cover it. The new prices are certainly not nearly as low as they are at a physical Walmart and are higher even than the expensive grocery stores near where I live. That would seem to make it not worthwhile to place an order online and then pick it up at the store, either. It would take me a couple of hours to get to a Walmart so that's not really a reasonable option for me, anyway.

Johm221122
Posts: 5045
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by Johm221122 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:35 am

Couldn't help but bring this post back,I ordered pair of headphones for young relative,2 day delivery has been processing for 3 days????I'll probably have to call them tomorrow if it hasn't shipped :oops:

likegarden
Posts: 2412
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Interesting twist to "Free 2-day shipping" at Walmart

Post by likegarden » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am

Even at Amazon shipping is only 'FREE' when you join Prime and that is not free. I noticed that shipping only starts when the item is available for shipping, which is acceptable.
In respect to shopping at Walmart, so what? I go there to buy things, and leave when I am done. People there are humans as I am.

Post Reply