Growing Number of Electric Vehicles

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bhsince87

Re: Growing Number of Electric Vehicles

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

just frank wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:37 pm
bhsince87 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:21 pm
I had a Physics prof who railed against engineers basing measurements on every third factor, as opposed to every factor. By that I mean things like microfarad, nanofarad, and picofarad. I've actually come to appreciate this, since I have no desire to memorize the proper Greek prefix for say, 1*E-7. It seems the rest of the world agrees, as the thirds system seems to be common in computing applications (e.g., kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte).
But, sadly the kilo-, mega-, and giga- prefixes there are **different** than in metric.

The former are 2^10, 2^20, and 2^30, while the latter are 10^3, 10^6, and 10^9, being different by 2.4, 4.8 and 7.4% respectively. :annoyed

Good point!

It's a wonder we get anything done.....
BH87

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:09 am

4nursebee

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am

killjoy2012 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:05 pm
It's going to be very interesting to see what happens over time when we have significantly more than 4-5 EV owners, assuming EV adoption accelerates as predicted.
Once 90% of vehicles are electric, this might change the infrastructure planning. For example, limited access expressways might have power buss bars (embedded rails) that cars can get on and pull power from with metering and billing. This would avoid the power loss from charging / discharging inefficiencies. Who would have ever guessed that we could be tethering internet from a smartphone to multiple devices when "car phones" started to be adopted? Technology finds a way.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 am

4nursebee

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Let's throw some cold water on the title of this thread. The # of electric vehicles is still small potatoes, miniscule amount compared to number of gasoline/diesel vehicles sold in the US. Here is a picture of the 2017 H1 sales. All EV's combined for the 6 months was a little more than a month of the # of F150's sold by Ford. Even if the Model 3 is a huge hit I think people forget the true size of the auto market, especially trucks.

EV's for the foreseeable future are really miniscule sales # in the entire auto market.

https://www.fleetcarma.com/electric-veh ... ar-update/

sandramjet

Post by sandramjet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 pm
Let's throw some cold water on the title of this thread. The # of electric vehicles is still small potatoes, miniscule amount compared to number of gasoline/diesel vehicles sold in the US. Here is a picture of the 2017 H1 sales. All EV's combined for the 6 months was a little more than a month of the # of F150's sold by Ford. Even if the Model 3 is a huge hit I think people forget the true size of the auto market, especially trucks.

EV's for the foreseeable future are really miniscule sales # in the entire auto market.

Title seems accurate to me. Says the number is growing. Doesn't say anything about it being a "majority".

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 pm

sandramjet wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 pm
Nate79 wrote:

Title seems accurate to me. Says the number is growing. Doesn't say anything about it being a "majority".
I should have said the objective/question of the thread. The OP mentioned proliferation of EV's causing issues to the electric grid. I'm just pointing out that EV sales compared to total vehicles sales is miniscule. There is no proliferation. It's barely registers in the car market.
While it is possible that the electric grid can't handle the small number of EV's that are being sold there is often an exaggeration of # of EV's that are actually being sold. If the electric grid can't handle the small number of EV's being sold today I can't even image what will happen if the sales reach a meaningful number.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 pm
sandramjet wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 pm
Nate79 wrote:

I should have said the objective/question of the thread. The OP mentioned proliferation of EV's causing issues to the electric grid. I'm just pointing out that EV sales compared to total vehicles sales is miniscule. There is no proliferation. It's barely registers in the car market.
While it is possible that the electric grid can't handle the small number of EV's that are being sold there is often an exaggeration of # of EV's that are actually being sold. If the electric grid can't handle the small number of EV's being sold today I can't even image what will happen if the sales reach a meaningful number.
That's easy, it will get fixed.

The technology exists, the costs are manageable -- to some extent they represent repair and replacement to a grid which will have to do that anyways.

We are on the cusp of a turn. I expect there will be many periods of time when nothing seems to be happening, or we are even going retrograde.

But watch the 2030s. When industrial civilization decides to do something, it does. America in particular is given to that.

I am thinking in 1944 that US aircraft production, alone, was greater than the total size of world civilian and military air fleets in 1939. US shipping output by 1944 must have exceeded that of the whole world in 1937, say?

EVs are a disruptive technology, and we need them. Given fuel cell vehicles have not delivered, EVs are on the path to the world we have to get to.

And so we will. I expect lots of teeth gnashing, prevarication, objection that it is unfair & unjust & discriminatory and that [insert name of country] is cheating so we have no obligation, etc. etc. etc.

But human beings are made to rally to great causes. Sometimes that is very destructive, and sometimes it is very creative. But it is human beings organized into anything we would recognize as civilizations.

This is a great cause.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm

I have not seen any electric cars in our area (NW PA), so I don't think we will be affected any time soon.

Well, I did once see a Tesla here, but only once.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 pm

munemaker wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm
I have not seen any electric cars in our area (NW PA), so I don't think we will be affected any time soon.

This is very interesting. I walked two blocks to Starbucks Sunday morning and saw 3-4 Tesla’s. They are all over Chicago.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:08 pm

poker27 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 pm
munemaker wrote:

This is very interesting. I walked two blocks to Starbucks Sunday morning and saw 3-4 Tesla’s. They are all over Chicago.
There are 9 houses on my block. There are 3 houses with Teslas, and one couple intends to buy another one as soon as his car comes off lease.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:13 pm

poker27 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 pm
munemaker wrote:

Occasionally I do see a Volt, but no 100% electric cars.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.