Recommended places to live

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
djeayzonne

Recommended places to live

Post by djeayzonne » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello, I currently live in Dallas, TX.
I work for myself and at home, so I am completely free to live where I choose as long as there is fast and reliable Internet available.

I am considering moving somewhere else though mostly for personal reasons rather than financial, those reasons being I want to live somewhere better for allergies and asthma and with more greenery and some scenery. I want to live either near water or have mountains in the background if possible.
I also would like a climate of the actual 4 seasons with neither a dominant summer or winter.

So, I would like some feedback on places that might satisfy these personal needs while still being an excellent value, low cost of living, low taxes, and all of that sort of thing bogleheads care about. Destinations other than the US are also possibilities as long as visas and such are not going to be an issue.

BolderBoy

Re: Recommended places to live

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 pm

djeayzonne wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm
those reasons being I want to live somewhere better for allergies and asthma and with more greenery and some scenery.
The scenery is easy, but usually as the scenery value goes up, so does the COL.

Also, an increase in greenery frequently accompanies an increase in allergies.

Your desires may be a bit of 'pie in the sky'.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Outside Vancouver, Canada. Go for it!
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Southern Arizona is another option...
Attempted new signature...

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Victoria, BC

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm

South Kentucky, Tennessee and the top of Alabama (Huntsville area) have 4 seasons with long springs and falls. Kinda the opposite of north TX. Hills, greenery, water, too. It's been a long time since we lived there, but the COL was very reasonable then. I expect that the western parts of Virginia and North Carolina would also be similar weather.

There are also areas of Colorado that might work, with probably less allergy risk. My understanding is that the weather is more mild than one might expect, but I've only vacationed there one time so I am basing that on novels I've read.

If you can handle more cold weather, the Pittsburgh area is beautiful, has a lot of charm, good medical, many things to do, and lots of nice people.
Last edited by annielouise on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Prescott, Arizona. 5,000 feet, four seasons.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm

I want to live somewhere better for allergies and asthma and with more greenery and some scenery.
It's the greenery that causes the allergies. If you're serious about the allergies, live in the desert. If you're serious about the greenery, you'll need to deal with the allergies.

Whoever mentioned Colorado is probably right. The front range of the Colorado Rockies is probably the closest to what you want. Consider Colorado Springs, Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder. You don't mention anything about lifestyle. All 4 of those places have very different lifestyle options. Denver has the best weather, but the others are not far behind. When I lived in Denver, the only time my allergies were a problem was in the spring.

There are parts of central and northern California (away from the Bay Area) that would work too. Once you get further up into the Pacific Northwest, the green stuff has too many pollens attached to it. The only time I ended up in the emergency room in my life was from trying to breathe in the springtime in Seattle.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Skagit Valley,WA

I grew up there. :sharebeer
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm

djeayzonne wrote:
as long as there is fast and reliable Internet available.

somewhere better for allergies and asthma and with more greenery and some scenery. I want to live either near water or have mountains in the background if possible.
I also would like a climate of the actual 4 seasons with neither a dominant summer or winter.

excellent value, low cost of living, low taxes, and all of that sort of thing bogleheads care about.
Provo, UT? Google Fiber is in your favor. Nearby greenery and scenery. Near water (as long as Utah Lake counts) and mountains. Low cost of living. Taxes aren't too bad.

However, there is inversion sometimes. Doesn't cause me any problems whatsoever, but you'd want to talk to someone with allergies and asthma.

As for the four seasons, Spring and Fall are not very long. Winter is very long and very snowy.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Consider looking where latitude and altitude combine to fit your requirements.
That is what Prescott Arizona offers.

One Dallas refugee likes the climate combo of the mountains in western Panama, but only where the ONDA cable company has service. Its high speed is fast, almost 10x some of the competition, while all of the others charge an extra fee for slightly faster than their very low speed offer, calling that "high speed." She warns that everyone with a financial motivation will tell you that high speed cable is available wherever you are asking about it. You do have to wade through her tiresome trip marketing, but the climate is the real deal. The location is due south of Florida so it is Eastern time zone, and so far, south of where any hurricanes have occurred. The currency is US dollars, with Panama only minting its own Balboa dollar coins.
https://panamarelocationtours.com/about-us

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm

I agree, the OP seems to have given a fairly accurate description of Vancouver, Seattle and the Bay Area.
The Wizard wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm
Southern Arizona is another option...
He asked for "green and water"...

djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks for the replies!

With many of your reactions, I see that I need to clarify the allergy thing. I guess if you haven't lived here, you wouldn't have some of the context.

Firstly, I lived in Japan (not Tokyo) for about 10 years before moving to Dallas. Much different climate, but I have never had such issues with allergies as I have here. Many other transplants have the same experience. My asthma came back 2 years ago after being dormant for 25 years (honestly had thought I had outgrown it all these years).

I think it has something to do with winds from so many different areas blowing through here and definitely has something to do with all the dam dust everywhere and always flying around outside. I also think it might have something to do with the fact that it never gets cold enough to clean the air so to speak. Anyway, definitely never had such constant, all-year allergy issues anywhere before.

Also, places like Seattle pop up as good for asthma if you Google just that.

Someone mentioned lifestyle. What about would you like to know?

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 pm

How about 4 seasons by choice? That’s what I’m planning to do. Snowbird is the term.

Porter01

Post by Porter01 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Tennessee is beautiful with mountains and 4 seasons. We however have abundant pollen and allergies flair with first warm days of spring and continue until frost.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 pm

I don't know how big a problem it would be but if you are looking at moving to Arizona it would be good to research if Valley Fever might be a problem for you.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/valleyfever/index.html

I don't know how they would would be for allergies but Bosie Idaho and Bend Oregon are two high desert areas would fit most of your criteria but they are not very green.

IMO

Post by IMO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm
I want to live somewhere better for allergies and asthma and with more greenery and some scenery.
It's the greenery that causes the allergies. If you're serious about the allergies, live in the desert. If you're serious about the greenery, you'll need to deal with the allergies.

Whoever mentioned Colorado is probably right. The front range of the Colorado Rockies is probably the closest to what you want. Consider Colorado Springs, Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder. You don't mention anything about lifestyle. All 4 of those places have very different lifestyle options. Denver has the best weather, but the others are not far behind. When I lived in Denver, the only time my allergies were a problem was in the spring.

There are parts of central and northern California (away from the Bay Area) that would work too. Once you get further up into the Pacific Northwest, the green stuff has too many pollens attached to it. The only time I ended up in the emergency room in my life was from trying to breathe in the springtime in Seattle.
There really are not perfect answers with both allergies and asthma. People do get allergies in desert environments, but as things get greener, obviously the more plants around that can throw off pollens. Mountain areas are no different when it comes to spring, summer, and fall allergies. Your asthma can be an issue in other situations where wildfire smoke is common in the summer, such as Northern California and large surrounding areas that are affected by the smoke. Some areas are prone to cold winter inversions that trap smoke particulates in the winter also (just can't win).

If you can live anywhere without job limitations, probably one of the "coolest" areas for great smaller city vibe, lots of outdoor things to do, very active population would be Durango, CO. It's not a larger city, so the amount of woodburning issue in the winter isn't as much of a concern, and I don't think the area commonly has winter inversions. There aren't typically any massive wildfires in the surrounding areas to wreck havoc with your asthma.

Congrats on having such work freedom that most of us would have only dreamed of . . .

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 pm

Antarctica is low on the allergy spectrum.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm

steve roy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm
Prescott, Arizona. 5,000 feet, four seasons.
+1 Bradshaw mountains, surrounded by 4 national forests. Pine trees and high mountain green. Small town feel. Like "Mayberry". Lakes nearby. Interstate I-17 runs North/South from S. Arizona and I-10 E/W to Flagstaff where it meets I-40 running E/W.
Predominately a retirement community. High Mountain cattle country.
Back some years ago rated top places to retire. . . etc.

Also, the small town of Kamuela on the Big Island of Hawaii. If you have the cash, it's the ultimate place to simply "be".
Aloha.
j :D

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 pm

I found a perfect place to live in Fort Worth, TX, 35 miles from the OP. We have a charming city here, right in the middle of the country, lot of jobs, reasonable housing cost, low crime rate, a great airport, and wonderful medical facilities and universities. We found that living in one place and traveling to see other places including the beaches, mountains, big cities and small towns, and places where four seasons are pronounced is a perfect arrangement.

TravelforFun

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:02 am

I think the Colorado Front Range and Prescott AZ are both good options for mountains and four seasons. I'm not sure about allergies, but I don't remember having issues in Colorado (I've never lived in Prescott, only visited so I can't say for sure about allergies there).

In the Seattle area (which should be similar to Vancouver, BC) I developed big allergy issues, but otherwise it was great. You don't see much sun in that area but the summers and winters are both typically mild.

You won't get any seasons but summer in southern AZ (a cool summer from Dec thru Mar but almost no rain, never snow and rarely a cloudy day), but you do get mountains and shouldn't have any allergy issues (IME).

Reno may be another area to check. Low taxes, mountains, not too far from the California coast, 4 seasons, near desert climate may also provide allergy relief but I'm not sure if you'd get much pollen from Lake Tahoe and the surrounding forest. I've been through the Reno area a few times and I liked it, but never actually lived there to know if allergies are a problem.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am

It is an excellent mirror of the forum that the OP requested a place near the ocean, with green hills, due to allergy and many advised anywhere from Southern Arizona to Tennessee.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 am

Thesaints wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am
It is an excellent mirror of the forum that the OP requested a place near the ocean, with green hills, due to allergy and many advised anywhere from Southern Arizona to Tennessee.
Sort of a total market index fund of locations to live, a little bit of everywhere.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 am

djeayzonne wrote:
  • better for allergies and asthma
  • more greenery and some scenery
  • near water or
  • mountains in the background
  • climate of the actual 4 seasons with neither a dominant summer or winter
  • excellent value
  • low cost of living
  • low taxes
Well I've summarized. I don't think anything listed so far matches all these components.

Washington state has scenery, water, mountains, seasons. Has no state income tax (high sales tax), and some low-mid COL areas.

Spokane? Kennewick? Yakima? Olympia?

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:35 am

djeayzonne wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 pm
I think it has something to do with winds from so many different areas blowing through here and definitely has something to do with all the dam dust everywhere and always flying around outside. I also think it might have something to do with the fact that it never gets cold enough to clean the air so to speak. Anyway, definitely never had such constant, all-year allergy issues anywhere before.
I think this type of post can easily start turning into "where's the best place to live" type of post which is quite a bit subjective
and probably really goes nowhere fast.

So is there something more "objective" on the issues OP is mentioning, specifically allergies, especially with the "dam dust everywhere". So if you want to get some objective data on spring allergy rankings (and there is also ranking of fall allergies on the site):
http://www.aafa.org/page/spring-allergy ... -2016.aspx

So allergies are one aspect of the OP concerns.

The other is asthma, which has many triggers, including the dam dust that OP mentions.
Thus, if you're looking for objective data on air quality including particular matter (short and long term) / ozone in a particular city (if data is kept) then the following site is helpful to compare 2 cities.
http://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/hea ... allas-Fort Worth, TX-OK&msa2=Colorado Springs, CO

I had mentioned smoke/wildfires in relationship to being an asthma trigger. There are definitively cities that have more issues with this than others, as well as dust from winds, etc. So for example, OP thinks "it never gets cold enough to clear out the air" which is probably somewhat true (i.e. snow on the ground keeps dust down), but the issue of summer monsoons / wildfires should be a significant factor. Take a couple areas mentioned in posts above: Prescott, AZ and Reno, NV which are about the same altitude/winter weather. Prescott in the summer gets regular monsoons that "washes" dust down vs. Reno which is a very dry summer without monsoons. Furthermore, knowing someone in Reno, the summer air can get very frequently polluted with wildfire air debris that blows in from California. Compared to Prescott where fires can occur in the surrounding forests, but these are much less common along with the regular monsoon's "cleaning the air." The air quality data from the site linked above, confirms that Reno has high short term particulate matter putting it high on the poor ranking in that aspect. In winter, Prescott has significantly less population density than a city like Reno so that means less air pollution from wood burning. I believe Prescott also is less prone to winter inversions due to topography of the area comparably.

I present the above because the post can become just a "where's the best place to live" post again, and again.

I'd suggest OP, if really has allergy and asthma issues of significant lifestyle quality of life compromise to look closely at the available data vs. a bunch of very objective posts on where to live.

spitty

Post by spitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:07 am

East TN is beautiful and just the climate you may be looking for--plus no state tax and I bet COL is lots cheaper than Dallas. Anywhere with 4 seasons will have a good selection of allergens blowing around in Spring and Fall. We live in an oak forest in MO and the green powder blowing around in late May is just irritating. Everywhere has trade offs.

djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Yeah, IMO, I think I agree with what you are saying.

Let's take the allergy thing completely off the table. Having a runny nose in the spring and fall is just a permanent part of my life anyway regardless of location.

What would be good places to live that are better environments for people with asthma and that have scenery and greenery?
I don't currently hike (duh, I live in Texas), but I would really like to get into that sort of thing as a counterpoint to all the hours sitting in front of a computer.
As far as COL parameters, because I do run a business and all of my clients are international, I think the benefit of no state income tax isn't worth the ridiculous property taxes here in Texas. While I have no control over property taxes, I do have some control over how much federal/state income tax I would pay, so I think for me significantly less property taxes would be better. I don't think I care too much about a a few points difference in sales tax because I just don't spend that much on just stuff. I don't think I care about higher taxes on gas because I don't drive too much as I don't commute.

My plans regarding this next location includes continuing to work feverishly as I do now (average of 2 days off per month) for about 5 more years to build up retirement portfolios to a point where a snowball effect is finally achieved, meaning they start growing significantly by themselves. Then, I want to sort of semi-retire, which would mean working more like a normal person at around 30 hours a week. 30 hours may not sound like 'semi-retirement' to many, but it would be quite a significant change to the current situation. At that point, I want to enjoy the area in which I live, which is definitely not a feature of my current environment. I grew up within a few hundred feet of the Kankakee River or near protected forest area, so I prefer to be outdoors in that sort of environment.

Several recommendations for Washington, Arizona, Colorado, and Tennessee have been given.
Based on the above, what are the advantages/disadvantages of these and the other recommendations?

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Seattle is a really nice place to live IME. A decent but not extravagant house there is about $600K - $1M.
It has the mountains and water you mentioned.
That's cheaper than NY or the Bay area. Good luck.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm

djeayzonne wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:44 pm
Several recommendations for Washington, Arizona, Colorado, and Tennessee have been given.
Based on the above, what are the advantages/disadvantages of these and the other recommendations?
We need more info from you. How much are you willing to spend for housing? Do you need a large airport nearby? Colorado has the scenery and greenery (closer to the mountains) but is a LOT more expensive a place to live than Tennessee.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm
djeayzonne wrote:
We need more info from you. How much are you willing to spend for housing? Do you need a large airport nearby? Colorado has the scenery and greenery (closer to the mountains) but is a LOT more expensive a place to live than Tennessee.
Ok, sure. Up to 800,000 or so, must have at least 3/4 acre lot, and must be at least 2,500 square feet.

Large airport is not critical, but definitely something to consider as we take frequent trips to Japan.

On that note, access to preferably a Japanese or at least Asian supermarket is necessary, but driving up to 1 hour or so to get there is ok.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:55 pm

I'll tell you again: Outside Vancouver, BC, Canada.

There are a couple of non-stops to Narita daily.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Prescott is not arid and the land is not barren so dust is minimal depending on where you live. Much of Prescott is affluent and increasingly diverse as retirees come in. Medical care is outstanding and modern for such a small town, Pop:50k.
At a mile high, the altitude takes some getting used to but after awhile is not a problem.

Surrounded by several National forests, state land, and BLM land, Prescott is an outdoor recreation paradise. Lakes for fishing. Open safe areas for marksmanship if one is inclined. More forest roads and trails for UTV or hiking than there is asphalt. Etc. And, site of the second "gold rush", the Bradshaw mountains and streams still yield gold flaks and nuggets to hobbyist gold prospectors.

And, of course, there's an "old school" feeling where folks encourage personal independence, reliance, and the simple joys of living. It is the only place I have ever seen where a postal window employee will close her window to help a disabled senior get a package to his car. And nobody in line minds at all.

DW has allergies and there are some months, spring esp, where ragweed is irritating in some areas.

Shuttle to Phoenix airport is $40-50. Flights out to Japan from there. Or catch the commuter flight to PHX but the shuttle is easier and cheaper. Asian stores are zero. I looked. But Phoenix is 2 hours away and there's absolutely everything there. DW and I go down there every so many weeks for asian and hawaiian food, korean, japanese, chinese. Average home prices in affluent areas run from $600,000 and up. 1/2 to 2 acres then up to 20-200 acres farther out. Home sizes on the affluent end of town run from 3,000 sf to 6,000 sf if it's a McMansion.

But, otherwise, Prescott it is a wonderful place to "pre-retire". Where all the retired men are somewhat strong, all the women are attractive, and all the children are above average.

The best advice is to visit for a week or 2 weeks at various times of the year to see if a place fits you. We did this many many times across the nation before settling here.

j :D

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

djeayzonne wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm
Ok, sure. Up to 800,000 or so, must have at least 3/4 acre lot, and must be at least 2,500 square feet.

Large airport is not critical, but definitely something to consider as we take frequent trips to Japan.

On that note, access to preferably a Japanese or at least Asian supermarket is necessary, but driving up to 1 hour or so to get there is ok.
$800k for 3/4 acre & 2500 sq ft, check. Large airport with flights to Japan (United flies direct, dozens via connections), check. Asian supermarket (Japanese, too) an hour away, check.

Great view of Front Range mountains.

Take a look at Erie, Colorado and surrounding. Warning: the closer to the mountains you want to live, the price goes up pretty quickly. Housing is tight - much of it goes for more than listing price and frequently for cash. If you are willing to compromise on the 3/4 acre, there is more available.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Asthma is alleviated by humidity. My sister and I both suffered badly for decades until moving to Hong Kong. My mothers asthma is debilitating but improved massively each time she visited. Now we all live across Europe and it has returned for all of us. My Mum can barely walk 100 metres in Winter where I live because of the cold dry air.
Have you considered going back to Asia? Malaysia has good deals for expats wanting to live there.

trojans10

Post by trojans10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm 27, single, male.. and work remote. Don't make much, maybe 70k... but can't figure out where to live. These US big cities are so expensive to live alone. All i really want is a studio apartment, but with housing so high now. I'm not sure where to go. Would love opinions.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Here is a different thought:
The Cleveland OH area meets most of your requirements. It is green; it used to be known as the "forest city". It certainly has four seasons. It is adjacent to a very large lake. It has a major airport. Medical facilities are world class. A nice house can be bought for 300K. Real estate taxes vary by neighborhood.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 pm

HongKonger wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:48 pm
Have you considered going back to Asia? Malaysia has good deals for expats wanting to live there.
That does seem like an interesting thought for OP, aren't there places where one can live like a king comparable to the US?
Seems would make travel back/forth to Japan much simpler.

Absolutely no idea on various areas on the asthma concern?

The ability to work from anywhere would seem to argue to look for a place that maximizes one's income.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 pm

I would suggest somewhere in the Appalachians for 4 seasons, hiking/outdoors, and proximity to water (rivers and lakes, not ocean). These cities come to mind:

Chattanooga, TN
Asheville, NC
Roanoke, VA
Charlottesville, VA
Pittsburgh, PA

Wait, what? Pittsburgh? Hear me out: it’s really an Appalachian town with gorgeous scenery surrounded by mountains, has 4 seasons with an especially gorgeous summer/fall, and is relatively low cost of living for such a metropolitan area. Much smaller town than Dallas, for sure.

Agree with many other posters that 4 seasons inherently means allergens, but in my experience these tend to get better with elevation. My asthma and allergies got subjectively better (but not resolved) when I moved from the coast of SC to the mountains of NC. I would put in a stronger plug for my mountain paradise in Asheville but I don’t want everyone moving here.

djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Do you have any idea what the procedures would be for a US and Japanese citizen to move there?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 pm

No, I do not.

djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:24 pm

IMO wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 pm
HongKonger wrote:
That does seem like an interesting thought for OP, aren't there places where one can live like a king comparable to the US?

The ability to work from anywhere would seem to argue to look for a place that maximizes one's income.
Yeah, I would be interested in hearing more about such places as well.
I don't really have any knowledge on countries outside of Japan, S. Korea, and China.
I was considering just going back to Japan until my recent trip back in a while.
It is just too expensive and restricting to live the lifestyle I want for the time being, so yeah, I would be curious about some of these other places that might be great.

IMO

Post by IMO » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 pm

djeayzonne wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 pm
livesoft wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Do you have any idea what the procedures would be for a US and Japanese citizen to move there?
You need to look this up because Canada has a merit based system for citizenship. I don't think that doesn't mean you could/couldn't get a work visa. Had theoretically toyed with the thought of Canada, especially in regards to the healthcare aspect. What I think I did take home was that a work permit doesn't necessary provide one health care coverage. (Someone can correct if that's wrong.)

But it does bring up that type of issue when it comes to other countries.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 pm

trojans10 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:13 pm
I'm 27, single, male.. and work remote. Don't make much, maybe 70k... but can't figure out where to live. These US big cities are so expensive to live alone. All i really want is a studio apartment, but with housing so high now. I'm not sure where to go. Would love opinions.
If I was single and your age I'd head out to Boulder or Colorado Springs post haste and get a roommate if necessary. Go for the scenery, progressive culture, reasonable front range seasons, and stay for the skiing in the winter and mountain biking in the summer : ) Nirvana.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 pm

djeayzonne wrote:
I work for myself and at home, so I am completely free to live where I choose as long as there is fast and reliable Internet available.

I am considering moving somewhere else though mostly for personal reasons rather than financial, those reasons being I want to live somewhere better for allergies and asthma and with more greenery and some scenery. I want to live either near water or have mountains in the background if possible.

So, I would like some feedback on places that might satisfy these personal needs while still being an excellent value, low cost of living, low taxes, and all of that sort of thing bogleheads care about. Destinations other than the US are also possibilities as long as visas and such are not going to be an issue.
"excellent value" is very subjective. Depends what you are willing to sacrifice. You can live in a small studio condo/apt near the ocean, or for the same money, have a large brick home in Dallas. That's right, for the same money, or maybe the studio could cost double that large home in Dallas.
In Seattle you will get a dump of a house for $800 k. In San Jose you will get a small rancher in a neighborhood with bars on the windows, and front yards paved over for the many cars of its residents, often two families to a home.

I love the coast, but if you want to be plugged in to air travel and near the ocean, with a temperate climate, survey says it will cost you a lot.
In northwest Washington, home prices are up 12% in this past year in areas like Seattle.

I have lived on the West Coast and inland. You have to be careful, all inland areas are not the same. I think the suggestions of relatively dry,sunny places within striking distance of an airport are good.

That could be Fort Collins/Denver, Bend,Oregon, Prescott,Arizona. . Sierra Vista, Arizona is close to Tucson, but I think Prescott has it beat for access to the Phoenix airport and a straight freeway run. However I find Prescott is pretty dry, although it is close to Sedona and Flagstaff for nice trips.

I would suggest that you accept a colder, drier winter in Colorado or maybe the Okanagan area of British Columbia (Kelowna has direct flights to Seattle for connections, and is a great wine area).

There is no perfect place. Actually I have watched some of the Japanese travel shows, and it seems that with their high speed rail, you could live in a smaller community. Certainly low crime and polite people. I understand you can walk around Tokyo pretty safely.

djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:10 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 pm
djeayzonne wrote:

"excellent value" is very subjective. Depends what you are willing to sacrifice. You can live in a small studio condo/apt near the ocean, or for the same money, have a large brick home in Dallas. That's right, for the same money, or maybe the studio could cost double that large home in Dallas.
In Seattle you will get a dump of a house for $800 k. In San Jose you will get a small rancher in a neighborhood with bars on the windows, and front yards paved over for the many cars of its residents, often two families to a home.

I love the coast, but if you want to be plugged in to air travel and near the ocean, with a temperate climate, survey says it will cost you a lot.
In northwest Washington, home prices are up 12% in this past year in areas like Seattle.

I have lived on the West Coast and inland. You have to be careful, all inland areas are not the same. I think the suggestions of relatively dry,sunny places within striking distance of an airport are good.

That could be Fort Collins/Denver, Bend,Oregon, Prescott,Arizona. . Sierra Vista, Arizona is close to Tucson, but I think Prescott has it beat for access to the Phoenix airport and a straight freeway run. However I find Prescott is pretty dry, although it is close to Sedona and Flagstaff for nice trips.

I would suggest that you accept a colder, drier winter in Colorado or maybe the Okanagan area of British Columbia (Kelowna has direct flights to Seattle for connections, and is a great wine area).

There is no perfect place. Actually I have watched some of the Japanese travel shows, and it seems that with their high speed rail, you could live in a smaller community. Certainly low crime and polite people. I understand you can walk around Tokyo pretty safely.
I hear you, believe me. However, property taxes must also be kept in mind as they are very high here.
I certainly don't want to live in a dump just for better scenery.
I never said I am specifically looking for a temperate climate. A cold winter is fine as long as it doesn't last 5 or more months.

Perhaps the most significant problem with living in Japan is that real estate is the same type of depreciating asset as a dam car. Actually, maybe cars are better because they never become completely worthless. Only the land keeps any value. In fact, older homes (like around 30-50 years) aren't even 'sold', the land is for sale with the added bonus of 'old crap house included for free!' type of marketing pitch.
Another problem with Japan is that even when you go way, way out in the boonies, it is still hard to get a house with some space around it so that you are not right next up to your neighbor. They still prefer to build whatever few houses that are going to be build right next to each other in any particular area. At least that is my experience, I haven't been to Shikoku or any of the areas on the north side.
But, I would do what I needed to do to make it work if real estate weren't a depreciating asset.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 pm

djeayzonne wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm
djeayzonne wrote:

Here is my take on Asian markets (particularly Japanese) as a person who lived in Japan and is a Japanese American having grown up in a mixed household:

Avoid Arizona if you need a Japanese supermarket. The Asian markets are okay, but the only Japanese option is a little shop the size of a gas station somewhere close to Tempe. Prescott likely doesn't have much of anything at all for asian markets - maybe something that would be suitable for a person who has never been to an Asian country.
Seattle becomes a better option for Japanese supermarkets (Uwajimaya is great). How are you with not really seeing the sun ever again? :twisted:

Colorado is wonderful, but the Japanese supermarkets can't be found anywhere north of Denver and the Asian markets are kind of okay, but not really suitable if you want Japanese items. You can get the acreage, house and under your price cap in most any area around Denver and near (but not in) Boulder.

Neither Colorado nor Arizona can do Japanese food correctly at restaurants if you enjoy that as well (the only caveat is that I haven't looked into any super pricey establishments; a good example of my disappointment is going to a "sushi" place and finding that they failed to use any sushi vinegar on the rice! I haven't had a decent bowl of Donburi in a while either). Los Angeles and Seattle are great for Japanese restaurants.

Flying from Seattle (or LA) to Japan is going to be a quicker trip and slightly less costly than from anywhere else in the US other than Hawaii. Hawaii probably offers the best full on Japanese experience in the US with the shortest travel time to Japan. Oceans, mountains, shouldn't be much dust. Not sure about housing, but we all *know* Hawaii to be ridiculously expensive.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 am

To some degree you have to reconcile having 3/4 acre, etc and wanting the area to also have great Japanese cuisine infrastructure etc, without actually moving to Japan for reasons you stated. To state the obvious, this is not Japan. Cities in the U.S. with great Japanese restaurants or grocery stores are going to be large and expensive, and you won't get a 3/4 acre lot.

And if you are not going to be making many trips to Japan, you could be one domestic flight away from a departure city, after all you are not commuting to Tokyo every week.

So if you want that 3/4 acre and a nice house for the $800 k region, and don't mind a few months of dry cold, then Bend, Fort Collins, suburban Denver,
Bozeman,Montana, Reno,Durango, Vancouver Island,etc., there are lots of choices. You probably can make your own good Japanese food, and when you visit the big city, it will be a treat to go to a 5 star place.

djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 am
To some degree you have to reconcile having 3/4 acre, etc and wanting the area to also have great Japanese cuisine infrastructure etc, without actually moving to Japan for reasons you stated. To state the obvious, this is not Japan. Cities in the U.S. with great Japanese restaurants or grocery stores are going to be large and expensive, and you won't get a 3/4 acre lot.

And if you are not going to be making many trips to Japan, you could be one domestic flight away from a departure city, after all you are not commuting to Tokyo every week.

So if you want that 3/4 acre and a nice house for the $800 k region, and don't mind a few months of dry cold, then Bend, Fort Collins, suburban Denver,
Bozeman,Montana, Reno,Durango, Vancouver Island,etc., there are lots of choices. You probably can make your own good Japanese food, and when you visit the big city, it will be a treat to go to a 5 star place.
Yes exactly!
I never said anything about restaurants. I just said we need access to some kind of supermarket where we can basic supplied for making our own food.
I do NOT want to live in a city, which is why I am willing to drive an hour or slightly more.
I also never said a direct flight was necessary either. Sure it would be ideal, but it isn't a priority because, as you said, won't be going back every week.

The reason I specifically posted here at Bogleheads was to try and get information that might help with balancing what I truly want with what makes financial sense and maximizing my income as some have already said.

Thanks for the list of options!

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:47 am

djeayzonne wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:24 pm
IMO wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 pm
HongKonger wrote:

Yeah, I would be interested in hearing more about such places as well.
I don't really have any knowledge on countries outside of Japan, S. Korea, and China.
I was considering just going back to Japan until my recent trip back in a while.
It is just too expensive and restricting to live the lifestyle I want for the time being, so yeah, I would be curious about some of these other places that might be great.
Just look up investment visas in Asia. I suggested Malaysia because many other don't allow foreigners to purchase properties or establish businesses without getting into bed with a local. Thailand is often touted but it's not that easy. Sri Lanka too. Cambodia and Vietnam are stunning but not sure on the situation there. ...I read yesterday about the Comoros which is currently offering perm res for 45k :)

sleepwell

Post by sleepwell » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Asheville, N.C., or the surrounding towns such as Hendersonville (not to be confused with Henderson). Definitely four seasons although the winters are too cold for me. There are numerous opportunities for outdoor recreation including fishing, horseback riding, and hiking. You are right beside the Blue Ridge Parkway which has gorgeous scenery and plenty of hiking trails. You are a few hours from the beach. Lake Fontana in Tennessee is not far away. I don't know about the situation for allergies although with all the forests around, pollen might be bad in the spring.

The COL is probably lower than that of Dallas but NC does have a flat-rate state income tax and it is not ranked very highly for retirees as compared to SC or Georgia.