The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
dual

Re: orphan accounts

Post by dual » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:28 pm

I have had an IRA at E*trade for several years with a $1.50 balance. I tried several times to get them to close it but they keep sending statements.

Any ideas on how to kill it dead?

Do I need to close it completely to be eligible for their new account bonus. I realize their latest offer is for non-retirement accounts but I want to be in position for when they offer a bonus on IRAs.

TIA

Earl Lemongrab

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:35 pm

You'd probably need to empty it first. You can just transfer the 1.50 out to a bank account. They probably have a form for IRA closing.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:09 am

I have 400,000 in new money to deposit. My account is at Fidelity, I'd like to send it there, but they are not offering a transfer bonus at that level.

Any transfer deals that are good enough to make it worth the hassle of getting a new account somewhere?

Any reason to think that if I just wait a while, Fidelity will offer me something?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 am

Merrill Edge is offering $1000 for 200k. You can ask if they will give more for a higher transfer. One caution, this offer is technically for attendees at an Expo. People have received the bonus in the past, but I don't know if asking about it could be a problem. As far as I know they don't require any proof of attendance.

I don't know what Fidelity's plans are.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:41 pm
I hadn't realized TD Ameritrade had a $1000 offer going, but here it is:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html

They are pretty formulaic. In fact the bonuses are automatically credited as each level is reached. However, it wouldn't hurt to contact them and see, maybe a rep can work something out. You wouldn't be able to put 11K into the IRA, as the limit is 5500/6500 depending on age. There are no joint IRAs.

You might get another custodian to match the TDA offer and split the account into two 100k rollovers for $500 each. Or take $500 from TDA and $300 from another. That's easy enough.
Just received the $1,000 credit from TD Ameritrade with a transfer of $250k (almost on the dot). Thanks very much for your work on this post!

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 pm

chicagoan23 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm
Just received the $1,000 credit from TD Ameritrade with a transfer of $250k (almost on the dot). Thanks very much for your work on this post!
Another Success Story!
I just got one at Scottrade. Only $600/250k, but they're not going to be around much longer so I wanted to get a last chance.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm

A general point of information. Scottrade makes it easier to do a complete transfer versus a partial. The former can be done on the web site, the latter requires filling out a form and sending it to the local office by fax or mail. Bleah. What I found was that total transfer out of Fidelity taxable account does not close the account (at least so far).

drk

Post by drk » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm

It looks like there's a new Schwab bonus that should be a good option for those looking to transfer between $10k and $100k.

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn ... d_sps.html

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 am

drk wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm
It looks like there's a new Schwab bonus that should be a good option for those looking to transfer between $10k and $100k.

That's good. If I read it right, it's available for existing accounts, so no need to open a new one. Thanks for the notice.

tj

Post by tj » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm

drk wrote:

The Schwab offers are once per lifetime unfortunately. Or they were at one point.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

tj wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm
drk wrote:

The Schwab offers are once per lifetime unfortunately. Or they were at one point.
It does say for Stock Plan Services Participants only. That should be easy for Schwab to track ...

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm
tj wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm
drk wrote:

It does say for Stock Plan Services Participants only. That should be easy for Schwab to track ...
There's nothing about that in the terms and if you start a brokerage account with the link it's clearly a regular one where they tout DIY investing with low commissions on stocks. I wouldn't worry about that, but you can always ask for clarification.

In the terms it mentions aggregate of offers and things like that, so at this one seems to be not for "new customers only".

student

Post by student » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Merrill Edge has temporarily up its bonus.

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000 ... d=lvexpo17